Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...154155156157158159160161162163164...LastNext
Current Page: 159 of 223
Re: OT - Spanking new Beatles footage that you have never seen
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 24, 2020 12:52

CaptainCorella
Big Al
bitusa2012
Fantastic. Sacrilegious I know, but it’s my Favourite Beatles album (the original Let it Be)

History won’t have it any other way, but I do wish they’d have released those recordings as part of the original album concept: ‘Get Back... with Don’t Bring me Down and 10 other songs’ I understand there were a couple of different track-listings proposed. The intended group-shot - used later on the ‘1967-70 Best-Of’, of course - could’ve made it, in my opinion, their greatest LP sleeve.

As good as 'Please Please Me"? smiling smiley

Well... winking smiley

Date: December 24, 2020 13:00

Taylor1
The Beatles reached their peak in the period 1962-1966.

I don't disagree. Whilst I enjoy all their output - with a few exceptions -, I've also held their early to mid-period work in the highest regard. The Beatlemaina years were so utterly thrilling: She Loves You wasn't their first #1, but it was the release that truly propelled them: biggest-selling single in the U.K. until McCartney's God-awful Mull off Kintyre. A Hard Day's Night is my favourite L.P. from this period, whilst Revolver is my favourite overall. Simply no-one - Dylan aside - could match them, in my opinion. I find the latter-period, Lady Madonna - Abbey Road - is focused on a little too much. Their early brilliance is overlooked

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 24, 2020 13:19

Big Al has hit the nail right on the head.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 24, 2020 14:22

Is that George Martin around 4:25? Yes 56 unseen hours from Hard Days Night or Help would be awesome.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 24, 2020 15:03

Just wonderful to see!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 15:18

Big Al
Taylor1

I don't disagree. Whilst I enjoy all their output - with a few exceptions -, I've also held their early to mid-period work in the highest regard. The Beatlemaina years were so utterly thrilling: She Loves You wasn't their first #1, but it was the release that truly propelled them: biggest-selling single in the U.K. until McCartney's God-awful Mull off Kintyre. A Hard Day's Night is my favourite L.P. from this period, whilst Revolver is my favourite overall. Simply no-one - Dylan aside - could match them, in my opinion. I find the latter-period, Lady Madonna - Abbey Road - is focused on a little too much. Their early brilliance is overlooked

Yes, the early Beatles stuff was thrilling, because it bought SUCH wonderful change to a generally very staid, dull musical scene. It EXPLODED. But musically it did and does nothing for me. I hate the yeah, yeah, yeah stuff. There were odd exceptions, Eight Days a Week, She’s a Woman and a COUPLE of other early songs, but UNTIL most of Revolver, and Abbey Road, The Beatles and Let it Be, musically The Beatles were just too twee for me. And don’t get me started on Sgt Peppers, an overweight overwrought piece of pompous vaudeville.

Rod

Date: December 24, 2020 15:52

bitusa2012
Big Al
Taylor1

Yes, the early Beatles stuff was thrilling, because it bought SUCH wonderful change to a generally very staid, dull musical scene. It EXPLODED. But musically it did and does nothing for me. I hate the yeah, yeah, yeah stuff. There were odd exceptions, Eight Days a Week, She’s a Woman and a COUPLE of other early songs, but UNTIL most of Revolver, and Abbey Road, The Beatles and Let it Be, musically The Beatles were just too twee for me. And don’t get me started on Sgt Peppers, an overweight overwrought piece of pompous vaudeville.

Although I like it, after Let it Be, Sergeant Pepper is probably my least favourite L.P. of theirs; so, I can partially agree with you. I'm totally the opposite regarding the 'Yeah, yeah, yeah' stuff, however. It's just too exuberant and joyous.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 24, 2020 16:00

Not sure how I feel about this. Seems like an attempt to re-write history and give the Beatles story a happy ending by skillfully editing together an alternate version of the Let It Be movie using only footage that shows them appearing to be having a good time and still enjoying one another's company. If they were still getting on as well as they appear to be in this montage, why did they break up just a few months later?

McCartney is desperate to have us believe that they parted the best of friends. That's why the original Let It Be film has never been re-released and has been suppressed to the extent that most younger Beatles fans think it's an un-released film, not even realizing that it did in fact play in movie theaters in the 1970s and was even available, briefly, to the home video market in the 1980s.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 24, 2020 16:06

tatters
Not sure how I feel about this. Seems like an attempt to re-write history and give the Beatles story a happy ending by skillfully editing together an alternate version of the Let It Be movie using only footage that shows them appearing to be having a good time and still enjoying one another's company. If they were still getting on as well as they appear to be in this montage, why did they break up just a few months later?

McCartney is desperate to have us believe that they parted the best of friends. That's why the original Let It Be film has never been re-released and has been suppressed to the extent that most younger Beatles fans think it's an un-released film, not even realizing that it did in fact play in movie theaters in the 1970s and was even available, briefly, to the home video market in the 1980s.

Maybe you are right but let us first see the movie... and on the other hand we know the truth

Date: December 24, 2020 16:14

Good points, tatters. I suspect you're right. Certainly, the montage is very jolly indeed.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 24, 2020 18:17

NICOS
tatters

Maybe you are right but let us first see the movie... and on the other hand we know the truth

That little clip sure did look a lot different than almost everything in the original movie.

Makes you wonder which was edited more true to the actual situation.

Ringo has also made statements like Paul about it being a much happier time than portrayed in the original movie. May be a bit of selective memory, but who knows.

The one thing I couldn't help but notice, they're all playing and appearing to be having a fun time, and there sits Yoko 3 feet in front of the band. Now if I was in a band and 1 member had his girlfriend interjected that much, I'd probably have issues with it. Nothing against Yoko, if what she claims is true, John was behind having her by his side at all times. But I could see where it could cause some tension. However I'll reserve judgement until I see the full movie which I'm really looking forward to.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 24, 2020 19:37

tatters

It can also be true that the original movie was edited down to have a "doom and gloom" effect - leaving out most of the positive aspects. With all of this "new" footage being released of them clowning around like goofy brothers, makes you wonder why there wasn't a better balance between the good and bad vibes in the original movie? While they were far from being best of friends when they broke up and parted ways, seems true they weren't full on enemies either - this new footage is a testament to that, and something both Paul and Ringo were eager to convey. Whatever the case, will be nice to have another perspective, and whether the original or the new is completely accurate (the truth is probably somewhere in between), doesn't take away from the thrill of having a brand new Beatles film.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 19:40 by Hairball.

Date: December 24, 2020 20:41

Considering how fraught the ‘Get Back’ sessions supposedly were, it is somewhat surprising they were able to reconvene some months later for the Abbey Road record. I haven’t read much about how they were with one another during these latter sessions.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 22:36

Day in the Life is one of the 5 greatest songstress the Beatles.Lucy, A Little Help and Within or Without You are excellent too,but the rest of Sgt Pepper is weak.Nothing could top A Hard Days Night ,She Loves You, Help , Please Please Me.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 24, 2020 23:05

Where's the spanking? And on who?winking smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 25, 2020 00:38

Big Al
Sergeant Pepper

No such album!

Absolutely nowhere in any official Beatles publication is the album you mention referred to with the unabbreviated rank! Occasionally they slip and call it "Sgt. Pepper", but that's rare.

I even got "Grove's Dictionary of Music" to correct their entry on this. :-))

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 25, 2020 18:36

Taylor1

I know there will be disagreements on your statement, but ... I agree with you.
The band became a hype and started to act and produce like that. GM really screwed the true creative part af the band. Sgt. Pepper, in retrospect, is a heavily overrated album. They did some really nice stuff after that, but again, a lot was too much GM. With the loss of Epstein the band slowly disintegrated. A real shame that was. Having said that, I'm glad they were there to start with and proudly "competed" with The Rolling Stones.
Strange to talk about the Beatles ... they are part of my life and yet ... half a Century has passed since they quit.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2020 06:04

Recent publications about these sessions based on the footage has revealed that they weren't all at each other's throats as believed so regardless of how it's edited we'll find out when the movie comes out.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 26, 2020 07:10

Check out The Twickenham Sessions on YT, many hours of songs, a good # of unreleased, lots of jubilation & clowning around from the boys, just being themselves.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 26, 2020 08:29

NICOS
tatters

The interesting thing is they are not trying to erase history, they are going to be re-releasing the original movie as well so we can compare and contrast

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 26, 2020 13:02

It’s interesting how many songs the Beatles had at the Let it be sessions which the Beatles used later on solo albums and Abbey Riad.Most of Abbey Road songs like She Came In Through the Bathroom Window, Mean MrMustard, Polythene Pam, Something, Maxwells Silver Hammer and Octopus Garden. And solo songs, Another Day, Junk, Back Seat of My Car, Hot as Sun, Teddy Boy, Junk, All things Must Pass, Isn’t it a Pity,What is Life, Gimme Some Truth, Mind Games and others

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 26, 2020 17:50

In 1964, Ringo Starr snapped a photo of some high school students who had skipped class to see the Beatles during their first trip to the US.
50 years later, the group reunited and recreated the photo.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: December 26, 2020 19:20

50 years later, thats awesome!

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 26, 2020 21:00

Taylor1
It’s interesting how many songs the Beatles had at the Let it be sessions which the Beatles used later on solo albums and Abbey Riad.Most of Abbey Road songs like She Came In Through the Bathroom Window, Mean MrMustard, Polythene Pam, Something, Maxwells Silver Hammer and Octopus Garden. And solo songs, Another Day, Junk, Back Seat of My Car, Hot as Sun, Teddy Boy, Junk, All things Must Pass, Isn’t it a Pity,What is Life, Gimme Some Truth, Mind Games and others

You'll find these interesting:

(full 403 song list from the Get Back/Let It Be Sessions).

Unreleased Beatles Songs 1956-1970

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-26 21:02 by KevinM.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 26, 2020 21:39

the beatles were influenced by pink floyds psychedelic stuff, john himself admitted they were always interested in what pink floyd were doing, when it comes to psychedelia many bands outdid the beatles, but the best in that field were floyd, the doors and the stones, but as usual the nusic media gave the beatles all the credit.

when it comes to good old rock and roll the stones are untouchable, but ofcourse the beatles again get all the credit.

beatles great group but way overrated.

there was always something missing from them that other bands had.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 26, 2020 21:58

There are a bunch of boots from these sessions. For example:

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 26, 2020 22:16

tatters

Actually I don’t think that’s correct. McCartney is not desperate to show that the Beatles parted as friends. That is revisionist history that cannot be accomplished. However Michael Lindsay Hogg made a movie that was not reflective of the Beatles at all. He edited pieces together to create a movie the documented the break up of a band. That wasn’t necessarily happening during the let it be sessions. By all accounts actually the let it be sessions were quite jovial especially once they moved out of Twyckingham. And he put together a movie that was boring, dark, and not really reflective at all about the reality that was going on. All you have to do is read that hundreds of pages of transcripts from the sessions. And just that film clip that Peter Jackson has released shows a whole different side of things. It’s actually revisionist history to take a movie like let it be at face value and think that that is indicative of where the Beatles were at that time. Particularly since they were able to produce abbey Road!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 26, 2020 22:29

John Lennon Says ‘Let It Be’ Sessions Were ‘Hell’

[www.yahoo.com]

Date: December 26, 2020 22:44

buttons67
the beatles were influenced by pink floyds psychedelic stuff, john himself admitted they were always interested in what pink floyd were doing

You have it all backwards as usual - in '67 Pink Floyd were at EMI studios recording their first album while The Beatles were already there recording Sgt. Peppers.
By all accounts, the members of Pink Floyd were like giddy school children when they were able to meet their idols and watch them record - that being The Beatles.

*Also, the Beatles recorded Tomorrow Never Knows (and the rest of Revolver) in 1966 when Pink Floyd were still playing blues covers.
Clearly they were influenced by John Lennon and The Beatles rather than vice versa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-26 22:47 by Hairball.

Date: December 26, 2020 22:53

Sighunt
John Lennon Says ‘Let It Be’ Sessions Were ‘Hell’

[www.yahoo.com]

Seems a general statement that isn't solely about the Let it Be sessions, but more about every time they work together:

Full quote:

"We were going through hell. We often do. It's torture every time we produce anything. The Beatles haven't got any magic you haven't got.
We suffer like hell anytime we make anything, and we got each other to contend with. Imagine working with the Beatles, it's tough.
There's just tension. It's tense every time the red light [in the recording studio] goes on.""

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...154155156157158159160161162163164...LastNext
Current Page: 159 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home