Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...153154155156157158159160161162163...LastNext
Current Page: 158 of 223
Re: John Lennon on being inspired by the Stones
Posted by: westonkeef ()
Date: December 6, 2020 02:12

Lennon also wrote "I Dig A Pony" with the lines:
"I roll a stoney
Well you can imitate everyone you know"

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 6, 2020 04:38

What book about Mick is John referring to at the 5:40 mark?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 6, 2020 05:47

Mr. Jimi

Mick Jagger, by Anthony Scaduto. My UK copy is published by W H Allen in 1974.

Second hand copies available here... [www.abebooks.com]

(Interesting that that brings up a Sub-Title - Everybody's Lucifer - that is nowhere on the title pages of my UK edition.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 6, 2020 06:13

CaptainCorella
Mr. Jimi

Mick Jagger, by Anthony Scaduto. My UK copy is published by W H Allen in 1974.

Second hand copies available here... [www.abebooks.com]

(Interesting that that brings up a Sub-Title - Everybody's Lucifer - that is nowhere on the title pages of my UK edition.

Reading the reviews was enough for me.. also available here

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 6, 2020 06:22

24FPS
stanlove
24FPS
Elmo Lewis

He wasn't so nice in the Playboy interview.....

Yes, that and the famous 'Lennon Remembers' Rolling Stone interview from 1970 was snippy when it came to the Stones. Just like the Stones were snarky towards Led Zeppelin. I think there was a certain jealousy in Lennon. I think he wanted to be in a down and dirty rock and roll group.

They all had their place, and the Beatles were top of the heap during their time. Led Zeppelin had their time. Explosive as they were, they didn't seem as well rounded as the Stones and the Beatles. The Stones, up through 'She's So Cold', which has a rockabilly/punk edge, showed they could adapt to the times, and still sound like the Stones.

The Stones, long ago, passed into legend as the most popular live group. It would be interesting for someone to figure out about how many people have seen them live, in person.

Lennon ripped the Stones at times and he was very complimentary at other times. It seemed like he was a little obsessed with the Stones to be honest.

When were the Stones snarky about Led Zeppelin? Keith made a couple of snarky comments over the last 50 years but he was the only one. I don't think I have ever seen the others say snarky things about Zeppelin.

'Jimmy Page was quite the rage, I could not see the reason why'

Plus I just saw a recent 'Ask Keith' on YouTube. He liked Jimmy, but he wasn't impressed overall by the group.

I don't take Jagger's page lyric seriously. he found a easy rhyme. Jagger has said he really liked Led Zeppelin and said he went to see them often. He listed Rock and Roll as one of his 10 favorite songs ever.
The only thing Mick ever said on record that is negative at all of Zeppelin is that he did like In Through The Out Door.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 6, 2020 06:28

Lennon really liked the Stones Album Its Only Rock and Roll. 00:44.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 12:38

CaptainCorella
georgie48
I've experienced that there are quite some Beatles fans viewing and contributing to this great site, so I dare to ask the following question:

A bunch of decades ago I watched a recorded John Lennon interview on TV. How surprised I was that somewhere in the middle (or second half) of that interview Lennon said that they found certain inspiration in the proces of making St. Pepper's Lonely Heartsclub Band by listening to the Stones' Something Happened To Me Yesterday and in particular the "horn/trumpet" part.
I've been trying to find that interview for a friend of mine who was the chairman of the Dutch Beatles Fanclub "Beatles Unlimited" for some four decades. So far I've been unsuccesful (well, there've been some many interviews with him winking smiley).
Do I ring a bell to anyone here?

Rings no bells for me, and I've got a pretty extensive library of Beatles books. (And Stones of course!)

Sadly, we must note that in a few days it will be 40 years since John Lennon was murdered on the street in New York. May he rest in Peace.

I can't resist commenting on the naming you gave to that famous 1967 Beatles' album. I've seen many many incorrect references to it as "Sergeant Pepper's....", and have even got Groves' Dictionary of Music to correct their entry. You'll never find any 'official' reference to it as anything other than either "Sgt Pepper's...." or "Sgt. Pepper's......". I've never before seen it referred to as Saint Pepper's... and that has amused me more than a little and has actually made my day a little brighter. It's a landmark album, and perhaps it does indeed need to be beatified by The Pope. Thanks.

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
You've got a sharp eye, CC. I'm glad I haven't insulted you and hope non of the other Beatles fans, because they are almost as dear to me as the Stones fans.
It's strange when it comes to memories. Some are burned into my brain, like that 1969 (brief) BBC interview with Frank Thorogood on Brian on July 4. With John's remark on "Something Happened .." that also happened. No cap or anything on his head, no mushtache ... I'm only not sure enough about his thin round glasses.
I have no problem with Sgt. Pepper's being holified by the swinging Argentina Pope (To me he's rock and roll, and tango off course).
smileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 12:56

I love John Lennon’s and the Beatles music , especially the period of 1963-1965. The Stones, Beatles and U-2 are my favorite bands of all time. But he did say in a well publicized 1970 interview that the Stones were always copying the Beatles, which is not true. He in fact copied a lot from 1950s rock performers and writers. In fact , it is arguable that quite a few of his songs were greatly influenced by others- Please please Me by Hey Baby, Yer Blues- Heartbreak bHotel , and others.Plus how good would his songs have been without George Martin. And there are a lot of just bad songs by him like Good Morning Good Morning, Bungalow Bill, Glasd onion, The Benefit of Mr Kite, Run for Your Life, I Want You, and many solo songs

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 15:22

Thanks so much for compiling the complete set of those Lennon radio spots! Fantastic. He sounds so happy and engaged and positive. Great stuff! Actually I find that is some of the most revealing interviews from him.

Date: December 6, 2020 16:19

whitem8
Thanks so much for compiling the complete set of those Lennon radio spots! Fantastic. He sounds so happy and engaged and positive. Great stuff! Actually I find that is some of the most revealing interviews from him.

You're welcome!
Was quite revealing and he was in great spirits throughout.. I think he really enjoyed being able to spin some music of his choosing and talk for the two hour show about it.
Liked (but don't quite understand) his labelling of the Yardbirds as "son of Stones" and ELO as "son of Beatles".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 16:22 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 7, 2020 02:59

The Yardbirds were always in that group hung around the Crawdaddy club British blues. Really started going after the stones. ELO totally son of Beatles. The orchestral arrangements, the vocals, the harmonies, the complex production values, and Jeff Lynne.

Date: December 7, 2020 03:06

thumbs up

Not up on any of that.. thanks!

Date: December 7, 2020 06:15

whitem8
The Yardbirds were always in that group hung around the Crawdaddy club British blues. Really started going after the stones. ELO totally son of Beatles. The orchestral arrangements, the vocals, the harmonies, the complex production values, and Jeff Lynne.

The Yardbirds took over from The Rolling Stones at the Station Hotel in Richmond.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Date: December 7, 2020 12:00

Aaagghhh, my modest attempt to rediscover a particular John Lennon interview has been swallowed by this huge Beatles vs Stones thread. Well, what to do?
Can anyone advice me on a good, well visited Beatles site where I can ask the same question?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2020 12:07

.... Ring Yoko now ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 7, 2020 13:05

georgie48

Can anyone advice me on a good, well visited Beatles site where I can ask the same question?

Maybe here: [www.BeatlesBible.com] ?

Date: December 7, 2020 13:23

Irix
georgie48

Maybe here: [www.BeatlesBible.com] ?

Thanks Rockman, give me her phonenumber and I do it rightaway cool smiley
But off course thank you Irix! I'm going for that one to start with winking smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 21, 2020 17:08

A sneak preview (of the new and improved Let It Be- 50 years later, and maybe a chance to re-write history?) of the Beatles: Get Back from Peter Jackson.

According to an interview by Jackson, he discovered hours more footage of the Let It Be/Get Back sessions which he claims puts a different spin on what was perceived as the Beatles turbulent times and disintegration. I remember going to see Let It Be when it first came out in 1970 and the experience left me very saddened walking out the theatre. Jackson's new version should be interesting to watch. Hopefully, Paul will be much happier with this updated version that showcases the Beatles in a better light, coming out in 2021.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 17:58 by Sighunt.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 21, 2020 18:30

The footage looks amazing and it's good we will have both versions to compare and contrast.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2020 19:03

Fantastic - I remember it used to be on the Z channel (one of the first pay cable tv channels) late '70's, and I watched it many times.
And I still have a bootleg dvd of it somewhere in the storage/stash, but haven't bothered watching for years.
Can't wait for this new and revised version. thumbs up

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 21, 2020 20:31

coffeepotman
The footage looks amazing

thumbs up Yes it does!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 20:34 by Sighunt.

Date: December 21, 2020 23:03

Sighunt
coffeepotman

thumbs up Yes it does!

Fan-bloody-tastic! If you watch this and then don't have a huge smile on your face at the end there's something wrong with you!

Roll on August 2021!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 21, 2020 23:14

Great, can not wait to see this one

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 22, 2020 07:31

CaptainCorella
Sighunt
coffeepotman

thumbs up Yes it does!

Fan-bloody-tastic! If you watch this and then don't have a huge smile on your face at the end there's something wrong with you!

Roll on August 2021!

Agreed 100%!

OT - Spanking new Beatles footage that you have never seen
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 24, 2020 05:35

The vibe looks quite good compared to all of the bickering that people talk about from the Get Back sessions. Editing, editing.

[youtu.be]

Re: OT - Spanking new Beatles footage that you have never seen
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 24, 2020 05:41

My wife and I watched this yesterday and it made us feel really happy.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 08:22

Fantastic. Sacrilegious I know, but it’s my Favourite Beatles album (the original Let it Be)

Rod

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 24, 2020 08:40

bitusa2012
Fantastic. Sacrilegious I know, but it’s my Favourite Beatles album (the original Let it Be)

History won’t have it any other way, but I do wish they’d have released those recordings as part of the original album concept: ‘Get Back... with Don’t Bring me Down and 10 other songs’ I understand there were a couple of different track-listings proposed. The intended group-shot - used later on the ‘1967-70 Best-Of’, of course - could’ve made it, in my opinion, their greatest LP sleeve.

Date: December 24, 2020 12:33

Big Al
bitusa2012

History won’t have it any other way, but I do wish they’d have released those recordings as part of the original album concept: ‘Get Back... with Don’t Bring me Down and 10 other songs’ I understand there were a couple of different track-listings proposed. The intended group-shot - used later on the ‘1967-70 Best-Of’, of course - could’ve made it, in my opinion, their greatest LP sleeve.

As good as 'Please Please Me"? smiling smiley

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 12:46

The Beatles reached their peak in the period 1962-1966.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...153154155156157158159160161162163...LastNext
Current Page: 158 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home