Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...152153154155156157158159160161162...LastNext
Current Page: 157 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 23, 2020 01:18

Destroying it would be a pretty Taliban like approach. How about you buy it, and then you destroy it? That would certainly be proving something.

Personally I think its an important piece of history and belongs in the Smithsonian or somewhere like that.

jb

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 23, 2020 01:23

CaptainCorella
Sighunt
The Album John Lennon Signed For Killer Mark David Chapman Is Going Up For Auction
Bidding starts at $400,000

[www.spin.com]

I just find this very disturbing and creepy as hell. Why advertise and promote this? It makes me sick as a Beatles fan. Excuse my naivete and prudishness.

I strongly support your view on this.

Had it been the last album signed before some sort of natural tragedy, then it would be quirky but OK. But the guy who got the signature intended to MURDER John.

The object should be destroyed.

Same.
Shame on "SPIN" and any others as well for the article on it and putting his name in print.

The auction house, "Golden Auctions" should be boycotted.
Disgusting.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 23, 2020 02:51

I am not a big John Lennon fan, but it is depravity, for someone to sell or buy this. Burn it would be nice.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 23, 2020 02:55

MKjan
I am not a big John Lennon fan, but it is depravity, for someone to sell or buy this. Burn it would be nice.

I'm a John Lennon music fan as a person I have my doubts.....but for me burn it this item

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2020 04:30

BowieStone
€60 for The Beatles / White Album 6CD+blu-ray super deluxe.

[www.fnac.com]

Promo was also on amazon.fr, but price over there is €120 again.

wow. Just got this for £60. What a bargain (and on the anniversary of the album's original release too). Many thanks for that!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 23, 2020 08:52

I listened to the Blu Ray Abbey Road version last night. Incredible. I have Exile on Blu Ray and it's great too.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 27, 2020 07:21

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 27, 2020 07:43

Lotta that classic ALL Things Must Pass and the roar to the rafters Bengle Desh Concert live band, came from, and we're modeled after,. Delaney and Bonnie and Friends (where George and Eric apprenticed for some shows).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-27 07:46 by hopkins.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 28, 2020 16:06

Blood money

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 29, 2020 15:43

It seems that a copyright dump with 170+ songs from the 1970 sessions is about to be posted on Youtube (if it wasn't already posted). There was an All Music Guide link that listed those songs but it was taken down. A YouTube user claims to have downloaded some snippets from all those 170+ songs and posted them on his/her YT account. Posted below are two of those videos, which were allegedly leaked.

George Harrison and Friends - Phil Spector Medley

George Harrison - Acoustic Guitar Jam

[lsZx-4CqEYJ:https://www.allmusic.com/album/-1970--mw0003450793+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2020 20:04

19 years ago today...George passed away...still sad to think about....

And 33 years ago this album came out...I was living in England at the time..listening to it always takes me back...
W/Clapton:

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 4, 2020 06:39

Bumped this b/c it is really worth looking at if you're a Beatles fan. (surely someone overlooked it) I was elated to find the lists, granted I'd already found 70%++ of unreleased stuff before ever coming across lifeofthebeatles.blogspot.com lists.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 4, 2020 06:51

jbwelda
Destroying it would be a pretty Taliban like approach. How about you buy it, and then you destroy it? That would certainly be proving something.

Personally I think its an important piece of history and belongs in the Smithsonian or somewhere like that.

jb

If anything, the auction house should take ALL the $ they made off it & DONATE IT to a NPO (Non-Profit Org.), one that Lennon would've liked. That good karma will come back around to the auction house as well.

I understand why some think it's an important part of history...but the evil/bad mojo (or whatever one wants to call it) associated with it can't be denied, nor overstated.

I wouldn't want to even see it in person or touch it. It's got the fingerprints of the devil on it.

John Lennon on being inspired by the Stones
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 5, 2020 18:34

I've experienced that there are quite some Beatles fans viewing and contributing to this great site, so I dare to ask the following question:

A bunch of decades ago I watched a recorded John Lennon interview on TV. How surprised I was that somewhere in the middle (or second half) of that interview Lennon said that they found certain inspiration in the proces of making St. Pepper's Lonely Heartsclub Band by listening to the Stones' Something Happened To Me Yesterday and in particular the "horn/trumpet" part.
I've been trying to find that interview for a friend of mine who was the chairman of the Dutch Beatles Fanclub "Beatles Unlimited" for some four decades. So far I've been unsuccesful (well, there've been some many interviews with him winking smiley).
Do I ring a bell to anyone here?

Re: John Lennon on being inspired by the Stones
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 5, 2020 18:48

Never heard that. Cool.

He wasn't so nice in the Playboy interview.....

Date: December 5, 2020 18:52

Elmo Lewis
Never heard that. Cool.

I know. John was very unpridictable. He could talk about "his friends The Rolling Stones" in a very positive way, but at times he could say very nasty things. But I always told myself that it was part of the "Beatles against Stones" publicity act ...

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 5, 2020 18:55

I think in many ways as much as the Beatles and Stones were friends, they inspired each other, and even envied each other. They both had different rises to fame during the British Invasion. I'm sure John and Paul envied the Stones for being the bad boys as the Beatles were the nice boys who were loved by teens and parents alike. I think the Stones envied the Beatles in a way until they really came into their own when they started writing their own hits where they realized they could write songs just as good, if not even better than what the Beatles were doing.

Date: December 5, 2020 19:51

Not the tv clip, but quite a bit of discussion in this From Lennon re the Stones.
Great four part radio interview from '74.

Stones discussion from around 4:00 - 8:00 minute mark.

Date: December 5, 2020 20:18

Thanks MisterDDDD,
A very nice relaxed interview with John in good spirits!

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: December 5, 2020 20:32

Wow that is really nice to know. I've only read mean things from John, some personal insults included. But I love that he gave some nice stuff, too.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: December 5, 2020 21:51

Great interview with Lennon. Just think of all the great music he could have written in the last 40 years. sad smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 5, 2020 22:57

That was semi-nice and respectful. Still had an edge to it, as was Lennon’s wont.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2020 23:15

Lennon use ta get excited when hangin
out with Keef ... where's that bit where
he arrived at Nellcote got drunk quick
then had ta be put ta bed ....
Him and Keith had a wild weekend pub
crawling thru the UK countryside

ROCKMAN

Date: December 5, 2020 23:30

I think I've gathered all four parts of this interview.. a bit scattered.
Each one is quite good, love how he dj's during it, fun to hear his thoughts on the various artists.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
(Stones content around 4:00 - 8:00 minute mark)

Part4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 00:12 by MisterDDDD.

Date: December 5, 2020 23:33

Elmo Lewis

Yes, that and the famous 'Lennon Remembers' Rolling Stone interview from 1970 was snippy when it came to the Stones. Just like the Stones were snarky towards Led Zeppelin. I think there was a certain jealousy in Lennon. I think he wanted to be in a down and dirty rock and roll group.

They all had their place, and the Beatles were top of the heap during their time. Led Zeppelin had their time. Explosive as they were, they didn't seem as well rounded as the Stones and the Beatles. The Stones, up through 'She's So Cold', which has a rockabilly/punk edge, showed they could adapt to the times, and still sound like the Stones.

The Stones, long ago, passed into legend as the most popular live group. It would be interesting for someone to figure out about how many people have seen them live, in person.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: December 5, 2020 23:44

Rockman
Lennon use ta get excited when hangin
out with Keef ... where's that bit where
he arrived at Nellcote got drunk quick
then had ta be put ta bed ....
Him and Keith had a wild weekend pub
crawling thru the UK countryside

doubt Lennon could remember any of those though.......eye rolling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 5, 2020 23:52

georgie48
I've experienced that there are quite some Beatles fans viewing and contributing to this great site, so I dare to ask the following question:

A bunch of decades ago I watched a recorded John Lennon interview on TV. How surprised I was that somewhere in the middle (or second half) of that interview Lennon said that they found certain inspiration in the proces of making St. Pepper's Lonely Heartsclub Band by listening to the Stones' Something Happened To Me Yesterday and in particular the "horn/trumpet" part.
I've been trying to find that interview for a friend of mine who was the chairman of the Dutch Beatles Fanclub "Beatles Unlimited" for some four decades. So far I've been unsuccesful (well, there've been some many interviews with him winking smiley).
Do I ring a bell to anyone here?

Rings no bells for me, and I've got a pretty extensive library of Beatles books. (And Stones of course!)

Sadly, we must note that in a few days it will be 40 years since John Lennon was murdered on the street in New York. May he rest in Peace.

I can't resist commenting on the naming you gave to that famous 1967 Beatles' album. I've seen many many incorrect references to it as "Sergeant Pepper's....", and have even got Groves' Dictionary of Music to correct their entry. You'll never find any 'official' reference to it as anything other than either "Sgt Pepper's...." or "Sgt. Pepper's......". I've never before seen it referred to as Saint Pepper's... and that has amused me more than a little and has actually made my day a little brighter. It's a landmark album, and perhaps it does indeed need to be beatified by The Pope. Thanks.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 6, 2020 00:11

georgie48
Elmo Lewis
Never heard that. Cool.

I know. John was very unpridictable. He could talk about "his friends The Rolling Stones" in a very positive way, but at times he could say very nasty things. But I always told myself that it was part of the "Beatles against Stones" publicity act ...

Why do people act like there was a Stones vs Beatles publicity act? People always act like there was talk of the Beatles and Stones not liking each other personally. I don't recall anyone ever saying that ever. Can someone point me to an article from the time that tries to claim that.

The Stones vs Beatles war was about fans and the music itself.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 6, 2020 00:20

24FPS
Elmo Lewis

Yes, that and the famous 'Lennon Remembers' Rolling Stone interview from 1970 was snippy when it came to the Stones. Just like the Stones were snarky towards Led Zeppelin. I think there was a certain jealousy in Lennon. I think he wanted to be in a down and dirty rock and roll group.

They all had their place, and the Beatles were top of the heap during their time. Led Zeppelin had their time. Explosive as they were, they didn't seem as well rounded as the Stones and the Beatles. The Stones, up through 'She's So Cold', which has a rockabilly/punk edge, showed they could adapt to the times, and still sound like the Stones.

The Stones, long ago, passed into legend as the most popular live group. It would be interesting for someone to figure out about how many people have seen them live, in person.

Lennon ripped the Stones at times and he was very complimentary at other times. It seemed like he was a little obsessed with the Stones to be honest.

When were the Stones snarky about Led Zeppelin? Keith made a couple of snarky comments over the last 50 years but he was the only one. I don't think I have ever seen the others say snarky things about Zeppelin.

Date: December 6, 2020 01:49

stanlove
24FPS
Elmo Lewis

Lennon ripped the Stones at times and he was very complimentary at other times. It seemed like he was a little obsessed with the Stones to be honest.

When were the Stones snarky about Led Zeppelin? Keith made a couple of snarky comments over the last 50 years but he was the only one. I don't think I have ever seen the others say snarky things about Zeppelin.

'Jimmy Page was quite the rage, I could not see the reason why'

Plus I just saw a recent 'Ask Keith' on YouTube. He liked Jimmy, but he wasn't impressed overall by the group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 01:50 by 24FPS.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...152153154155156157158159160161162...LastNext
Current Page: 157 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home