Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...143144145146147148149150151152153...LastNext
Current Page: 148 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 29, 2019 20:02

CaptainCorella
bob r
This Christmas just spending some time looking at and listening to the fantastic re-released Beatles box sets of Sgt Pepper / The White Album and the new Abbey Road, and I am amazed at the care that went into these over the last couple years. The remixed albums sound incredible, the bonus unreleased tracks and alternate takes are truly a bonus, the books that are included are filled with terrific notes and photos that haven't been seen before in many instances.
You have to hand it to the Beatles: you always got your moneys worth. They never skimped on quality, and still don't to this day.

Looking forward to 2002 when the 50th anniversary of Let it Be comes round !

Typo: 2020?

As well as the (reasonably safe) assumption that Giles will do a similar job on 'Let it Be', there's the prospect of the remade film under the direction of Peter Jackson that's in the works. Plus, I jolly well hope, the entire and uncut rooftop concert!

Would Giles handle LET IT BE even tho his dad wasn’t involved in the original project?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 29, 2019 20:26

I don't think he should waste his time...plus that "naked" release already covered this ground. Worst LP Beatles ever put out, and I don't think even G Martin could have saved it, or should have wasted his time.

jb

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 29, 2019 21:32

I wonder if the 2020s will be the last decade that Apple are really able to release any credible product....before they really are scraping the bottle?
We ve still got two volumes of Mark L's biographies and maybe there is still potential for some visual product.
But soon...it really could be The End.

(I guess Presley and Sinatra are the equivalent Artists and I have no idea if their Archives still has much left that has not as yet been released).

Date: December 31, 2019 21:05

I'd prefer that Giles backtracks to Rubber Soul and Revolver for the next releases. The band were becoming true studio wizards and were feeling their experimental oats -- would be fascinating to hear some earlier takes of stuff like "Tomorrow Never Knows."

By the way, I came across this in Mark Lewisohn's book and never realized there was a Stones connection to the naming of Rubber Soul:

[Paul] recalled reading about an old bluesman in America who had heard Mick and the Rolling Stones’ version of the blues.

“I’d just read about an old bloke in the States who said, ‘Mick Jagger, man. Well, you know, they’re good, but it’s plastic soul.'”

Plastic soul then became Rubber Soul and the rest is history. Anyone have any other info on the accuracy of this?

(My favorite reference to 'plastic soul' was by David Bowie -- he once described his entire Young Americans album as 'plastic soul.'

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 31, 2019 22:02

LazarusSmith
I'd prefer that Giles backtracks to Rubber Soul and Revolver for the next releases. The band were becoming true studio wizards and were feeling their experimental oats -- would be fascinating to hear some earlier takes of stuff like "Tomorrow Never Knows."

By the way, I came across this in Mark Lewisohn's book and never realized there was a Stones connection to the naming of Rubber Soul:

[Paul] recalled reading about an old bluesman in America who had heard Mick and the Rolling Stones’ version of the blues.

“I’d just read about an old bloke in the States who said, ‘Mick Jagger, man. Well, you know, they’re good, but it’s plastic soul.'”

Plastic soul then became Rubber Soul and the rest is history. Anyone have any other info on the accuracy of this?

(My favorite reference to 'plastic soul' was by David Bowie -- he once described his entire Young Americans album as 'plastic soul.'

That's the 'plastic soul' story I've always heard and read about.

Paul mentions the phrase at the end of the Anthology 2 version of "I'm Down."

[youtu.be]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 1, 2020 07:29

I am right there with you on Revolver and Rubber Soul. Two of their best ever LPs, especially the UK version of Revolver.

jb

Date: January 2, 2020 21:15

Favorite two Lennon stories so far from Mark Lewisohn's THE BEATLES RECORDING SESSIONS: The Official Abbey Road Studio Session Notes 1962-1970:

1. The band were recording at Olympic for the first time on 11 May 67 (about 3 months after The Stones had been in with Glyn Johns for a couple of weeks doing some initial work on TSMR). They did about a dozen takes of "Baby You're a Rich Man," after which the two tape engineers - Keith Grant and Eddie Kramer - reported that they were "amazed at John Lennon's voice. [We'd] long been wondering what it would be like to record" and they related that "[we] couldn't believe anyone could sing that well."

2. 11 Feb 63. In one 585 min session the band records EVERYTHING for their first LP, AND a couple of singles. At 10pm, knowing they still had one more song to get down, they took a break and it was decided they'd go with the Isley's "Twist and Shout." Except everybody's voices were shot - especially Lennon's. But he gargles some milk, smokes a cpl more cigs, strips down to his waist, and proceeds to shred his vocal chords in a 2 1/2 min performance that may very well be the best rock n soul vocal by a white man ever.

Date: January 2, 2020 22:47

Lennon had a great voice, just very natural. Lots of emotion. It was often overlooked, partly because of everything else that was going on.
Mr Soul, Ringo used to call him. Oddly, for an egomaniac he never rated his vocal skills. Mind you it is probably best not to take all he said too literally!

Date: January 2, 2020 23:26

Yeah i b'lieve mr lennon learned quite early on the fine art of taking the piss when it came to the press

Date: January 15, 2020 17:50

Just read a review of a newish Paul McCartney biography by Phillip Norman in The Spectator (UK). Generally positive.
Mention is made of the royalties which first drummer Pete Best has received so far for his 11 or so contributions to Anthology 1. Eight million British Pounds.
It's a staggering amount and all credit to Apple etc for making it happen. Not sure what the legalities were, Best was on the scene before the EMI contract of course.
I dont think there is a comparison in The Stones camp. Ian Stewart was regarded ss the 6th musician for a time I think but that was before they got proper Managers and more importantly, a record contract. Not sure if any Stones Anthology which would take in pre May 1963 recordings and /or live work would reveal?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 15, 2020 22:59

jlowe
Mention is made of the royalties which first drummer Pete Best has received so far for his 11 or so contributions to Anthology 1. Eight million British Pounds.
It's a staggering amount and all credit to Apple etc for making it happen.

Agreed.

But if Pete Best got that much for his (must be said) minor contribution, how much did the others get!??

In 1996 I went to a Pete Best Band show. He drummed for the first part, and then another drummer joined it. The second half was oh so much better than the first! (Checking this I found the ticket stubs!)

At the end of the show he came back on stage to sign things.... Everyone but me had Beatles stuff for him to sign (twisting the knife?), but I had his 1985 book "Beatle! The Pete Best Story" (Pete Best with Patrick Doncaster), so I got a smile & a handshake and a grin along with the autograph.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 19, 2020 15:46

Just read an article which says Best probably got " between 1 and 6 million quid. (RTE).
Journalism at it's best, eh?
On a more factual note Pete's current band are doing some gigs in Ireland in March (the Republuc that is). Apparantly Pete has some relatives who live there.
I think John Lennon also had some Irish ancestory ?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2020 21:25

jlowe
Just read a review of a newish Paul McCartney biography by Phillip Norman in The Spectator (UK). Generally positive.
It's a staggering amount and all credit to Apple etc for making it happen. Not sure what the legalities were, Best was on the scene before the EMI contract of course.
I dont think there is a comparison in The Stones camp. Ian Stewart was regarded ss the 6th musician for a time I think but that was before they got proper Managers and more importantly, a record contract. Not sure if any Stones Anthology which would take in pre May 1963 recordings and /or live work would reveal?

Ian Stewart played on quite a number of songs after the first contract of the Rolling Stones and subsequent contracts.
He also participated on several major concert tours and fullfilled important roles as road manager during two decades.
For what I know he (and his family) has been taken care of well.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 25, 2020 17:57

Came across this - Abbey Road, vocals only except for a few sounds here and there. Pretty cool listen, IMHO. Enjoy.

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Mick sings with George Harrison "I Saw Her Standing There"
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 11, 2020 16:45

I will venture this may have already been posted. Short, fun listen. Imagine the Stones doing this song on their current tour - that'd blow folks away.

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Re: Mick sings with George Harrison "I Saw Her Standing There"
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 11, 2020 16:51

Mick always wanted to be a Beatle didn't he

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2020 17:02

NilsHolgersson
Mick always wanted to be a Beatle didn't he

John, Paul, Mick & Ringo

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: February 11, 2020 18:56

I would like to see Keith & Paul once. They really thought about it, but it was Ronnie who did it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 11, 2020 20:57

BlueTurns2Grey
I would like to see Keith & Paul once. They really thought about it, but it was Ronnie who did it.

Agree, but a Stone tune instead of Beatle tune with Paul doing the backup vocals

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 11, 2020 21:19

Get Paul. They've needed a good bass player for almost 30 years.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 11, 2020 21:22

And a songwriter

He wrote their first single, maybe he could write their last

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-11 23:47 by NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: February 12, 2020 07:46

Jeff Beck adds some zip to the number

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 12, 2020 10:54

dmay
I will venture this may have already been posted. Short, fun listen. Imagine the Stones doing this song on their current tour - that'd blow folks away.

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd mention that in the summer of 1983 at the 'Abbey Road Open Sessions' I listened to The Beatles' recording of that track IN Studio 2 at Abbey Road. in situ.

Some false starts, some shambles, a bit of practice clapping.... and then the real thing. Amazing.

Date: February 12, 2020 10:59

NilsHolgersson
And a songwriter

He wrote Come On? winking smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 12, 2020 12:10

DandelionPowderman
NilsHolgersson
And a songwriter

He wrote Come On? winking smiley

grinning smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: February 12, 2020 14:43

NilsHolgersson
And a songwriter

Second. smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 12, 2020 21:57

trying to imagine Paul McCartney singing any Stones songs..

hmmm I think maybe Shine A Light maybe..
but not too many others. voice is too pretty..

Date: February 12, 2020 22:05

duke richardson

hmmm I think maybe Shine A Light maybe..
but not too many others. voice is too pretty..

Something Happened To Me Yesterday, perhaps? smiling smiley

Posted by: Ellipooh ()
Date: February 13, 2020 00:31

Thanks for sharing this video, really brightened my day. What struck me was how Mick, ever the consummate showman, made sure that the mike was always covered and the verses were sung properly.

***Can't you hear me knocking?***

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2020 00:33

Midnight Rambler as a lullaby …..

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...143144145146147148149150151152153...LastNext
Current Page: 148 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home