Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...139140141142143144145146147148149...LastNext
Current Page: 144 of 223
Re: Stones vs. Beatles - Beatles could never do this, Stones could never do that
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 7, 2019 14:56

Beatles could never do "Star Star" or "Some Girls"....or basically anything "Stones-raunchy".....

I imagine it's b/c Lennon/McC weren't total pervs, like Mick?? I dunno

Nobody will ever top "Gimme Shelter" or "Sympathy" with any song ever again. Full stop.

that being said: McCartney annoys me...I can't figure out why.

Re: Stones vs. Beatles - Beatles could never do this, Stones could never do that
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 7, 2019 16:52

MileHigh
They just don't have that swing and a certain earthy rock and roll feel.
Sure they did. The Beatles were a rock and roll band in the early days before "Beatlemania". They continued to have rock and roll songs in their catalogue for their entire existence but they also moved onto different things at the same time.

Date: November 7, 2019 18:13

It's not a battle. The Beatles were the Bach of the popmusic. The Rolling Stones the greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world. I love them both.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 7, 2019 19:21

Irix
Deltics

Where this will end up: [iorr.org]

And here: [iorr.org] .... winking smiley

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley>grinning smiley<

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2019 19:43

Beatles... Ringo on vocals doin' Midnight Rambler …

Be about funny as Neil Young tryin ta do Bitch …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 7, 2019 19:58

Rockman
… Be about funny as Neil Young tryin ta do Bitch …

...and yet, I would pay money to see that. grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2019 20:35

At the end of the day the Stones could play and do justice to many (if not all) Beatles songs if they wanted and the Beatles
could do very little justice to very few of the Stones songs.

Have enjoyed the few I've seen them do Beatles tunes live, "I Wanna Be your Man" "Come Together" etc., they've been great. Stones could pull of any of them imo where the Beatles could handle very few Stones songs in a serious way. Macca pretty much admitted as much at Desert Trip when the Stones did "Come Together" as a tribute to him, and in return he thanked them and then offered up "I Wanna Be Your Man (a Lennon McCartney song) as tribute.

That said, Love 'em both spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 7, 2019 21:40

georgie48
Irix
Deltics

smileys with beer

hahaha!

where's that guy who hates the Beatles on THIS thread, though?

some of that was entertaining in a "wrong" sort of way.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 7, 2019 22:03

georgie48
Irix
Deltics

smileys with beer

Agreed, but sometimes threads are just too big to even open up because you are afraid that they are going to swallow you up whole. This is a "boutique" Stones vs. Beatles thread for the faint of heart. angry smiley

Date: November 7, 2019 22:06

...and yet, I would pay money to see that …..

… ….. loyal to your fellow countryman … Stand proud Annie ….. X

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 7, 2019 22:35

MisterDDDD
At the end of the day the Stones could play and do justice to many (if not all) Beatles songs if they wanted and the Beatles
could do very little justice to very few of the Stones songs.

Have enjoyed the few I've seen them do Beatles tunes live, "I Wanna Be your Man" "Come Together" etc., they've been great. Stones could pull of any of them imo where the Beatles could handle very few Stones songs in a serious way. Macca pretty much admitted as much at Desert Trip when the Stones did "Come Together" as a tribute to him, and in return he thanked them and then offered up "I Wanna Be Your Man (a Lennon McCartney song) as tribute.

Would love to hear The Stones do Revolution no. 9 live.. and some of Paulie's silly love songs.

Date: November 7, 2019 23:01

Let's be fair, Stones friends. I honestly think that Paul (Okay, he alone is not the Beatles) did a very good Stones-like interpretation of She Said Yeah.
smileys with beer

Date: November 8, 2019 00:04

georgie48
Let's be fair, Stones friends. I honestly think that Paul (Okay, he alone is not the Beatles) did a very good Stones-like interpretation of She Said Yeah.
smileys with beer

He he, and I guess this is not the place to mention that it was Paul who suggested that The Stones should cover it in the first place, back in '65 winking smiley

Date: November 8, 2019 00:18

….. Imagine Keef and Larry Williams hangin' out tagether ……. tuff stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2019 00:25

MisterDDDD
could do very little justice to very few of the Stones songs

Lol...c'mon MisterDDD...that's laughable! Maybe the Stones could play and do justice to some, but probably not many, and definitely not all!!!
Paul could have done a Stones tune at Desert Trip if he wanted, but I think he's selfish and kept it all Macca/Beatles oriented.
Plus Come together is a Lennon penned tune, so it wasn't necessarily a tribute to Paul...maybe if the Stones played Helter Skelter or Maxwell's Silver Hammer (lol) Paul might have returned the favor properly.

As for the Stones' Come Together at Desert Trip - simply put it sucked, and that's probably why they didn't play it at weekend 2 or ever again for for that matter.
Not sure which was worse at wkd 1 - Come Together or Mixed Emotions, and thankfully neither were played at the surperior wkd. 2!

PS:

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-08 00:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 8, 2019 03:49

Knew what most of your reply would be as I was typing Hairball winking smiley
Just like I know the Stones could do justice for most of the Beatles catalogue.

Come Together wasn't that bad at DT imo, a couple more run throughs and it could and would get better.. (better better better.. na na na.. I digress). Speaking of which Hey Jude would also be a great one for them to cover cool smiley.

Most of the Beatles stuff is Pop.. they proved early on they could Snap, Crackle and definitely Pop.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 8, 2019 04:00

I think the Beatles and/or Paul and his band could have done a great cover of Brown Sugar - after all, if Dylan can do it anybody can!
Come to think of it, I'd say the Beatles' Drive My Car is the precursor to Brown Sugar, and it came a full six years before.
Even the "beep beep and beep beep yeah" of Drive My Car is a direct influence on Mick's "I said yeah, yeah, yeah, wooh"!!! IMO.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 8, 2019 04:14

Could the Stones have played pretty much every Doors song and done them justice? What about The Velvet Underground? The Byrds? The Beach Boys? The answer is no. Of course not. It's a ridiculous suggestion and to say they can do pretty much every Beatles song is nonsense.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2019 04:48

If I were to pick a Stones song for the Beatles to have covered, Ruby Tuesday, Out of Time, Paint it Black, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow, She's A Rainbow, Mother's Little Helper, Back Street Girl, Let's Spend The Night Together all come to mind....there are lots that may have turned out pretty good.

As for Stones doing Beatles, I would have thought Come Together was a no-brainer but obviously that was a problem. I Wanna Be Your Man outshines the Beatles by a country mile.

Problem I think is on the vocals side, where Mick's vocal while great for what he does, isn't nearly in the same class as Paul or John in terms of range.

At the end of the day of course it doesn't matter at all.

Date: November 8, 2019 05:06

The Stones could have done a great version of Yer Blues (Keith already had the bass part down), and while keeping in the same time frame , the Beatles could have done a great version of Dear Doctor with Ringo on vocals.
If that doesn't work for some of you smiling smiley, imagine the Beatles doing Parachute Woman with John on vocals...it might sound a bit similar to this Revolution..I can hear it now..."Parachute Woman..." with some blazing guitars!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 8, 2019 07:19

Hairball
The Stones could have done a great version of Yer Blues (Keith already had the bass part down), and while keeping in the same time frame , the Beatles could have done a great version of Dear Doctor with Ringo on vocals.
If that doesn't work for some of you smiling smiley, imagine the Beatles doing Parachute Woman with John on vocals...it might sound a bit similar to this Revolution..I can hear it now..."Parachute Woman..." with some blazing guitars!

Ringo on vocals is an insult - no other way to take it.
But, yeah, John could've landed Parachute Woman expertly...

I actually think Exile would be a stronger album if John had done the lead vocals. John wouldn’t need to be buried quite so deeply in the mix – Mickey turned in an admirable effort though, no denying THAT. Paul would do a nice Angie, doncha think? Well, actually maybe he wouldn’t. But in Paul’s case, that’s the only song I’m willing to consider, rightfully or wrongfully.

Mick would be laughed off the stage if he seriously tried to sing a Beatles medley…similarly, he couldn’t make a living as an Elvis impersonator either. As we should all know by now, the Stones are only capable of covering black artists.

Date: November 8, 2019 07:34

As we should all know by now, the Stones are only capable of covering black artists.

But as we know man ………….. deh cover 'em so damn well ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 8, 2019 07:41

Beatles lasted for what was it, 8-9 years, who'd know how they would have developed if they kept on for decades, like Rolling Stones did.

Rolling Stones themselves couldn't have "covered" Hot Stuff, Can't You Hear Me Knockin or Shattered in let's say.....1967. Perhaps Angie.

And I do think their "Come Together" of 2016 is terrible, and it's so silly trying to copy a studio version, but that's their politics now, I know. Just like the (strangely enough) praised CYHMK Ron Wood solo at the Licks Tour. They should try to make own / true-felt versions of coversongs, as well as their own, when performing live. But when the muse is gone.....

I'm sure John Lennon, if theoretically he/Beatles would be doing a RS song, wouldn't try to just copy it, note-to-note, that's pointless.

Date: November 8, 2019 08:12

Ringo couldn't cover Dear Doctor unless
ya wanted it to sound like a Liverpudlian night-cart driver …….

Dear Doctor is soaked in medicine-show hokum …
Most dudes don't get it cause they think the blues started with BB.King ….

Try Daddy Stovepipe … Pink Anderson …. Gid Tanner …. Riley Puckett … Papa Charlie Jackson ….

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2019 08:53

DandelionPowderman
georgie48
smileys with beer

He he, and I guess this is not the place to mention that it was Paul who suggested that The Stones should cover it in the first place, back in '65 winking smiley

Deep inside we all knew it all the way ... there was this original band named the Rolling Beatles on Stones, but, clever as they were, they realised that, when splitting up, they would reach a much wider audience. A brilliant move of Epstein, who made his assistent Oldham help him run the Rolling part ... and the media? Well, they've always been stupid, believe everything in order to score.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 8, 2019 10:01

Could we all not save a little breath by just saying that....

the Rolling Stones are not the Beatles, and the Beatles are not the Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 8, 2019 11:33

The Beatles were light years ahead of the Stones. Compare Revolver to Aftermath. I genuinely believe the Lennon-McCartney partnership was a phenomenon, never to be repeated or bettered.

Date: November 8, 2019 11:36

.... Yeah I'd take Aftermath ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 8, 2019 11:39

Rockman
.... Yeah I'd take Aftermath ......

Ah, there’s that famous Aussie humour! winking smiley

Date: November 8, 2019 11:44

.... you should hang with me after I've had some laughin gas Al .....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...139140141142143144145146147148149...LastNext
Current Page: 144 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home