Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...138139140141142143144145146147148...LastNext
Current Page: 143 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 17, 2019 01:33

marianna
Elmo Lewis
Paul's solo career gets almost no airplay other than "Band On The Run". Why? Lots of great stuff (yeah, I know, a few clunkers too).

Let Me Roll It, Coming Up, Hi Hi Hi, Getting Closer, This One, etc.

Your thoughts?

His '70s solo career audience is aging out of the prime advertising demographic of 24-49 years old. There is very little '70s music played on radio, and probably not on streaming, either. Put some of the songs in TV ads or movies and younger people might become aware of them.

Beat me to it...here in Los Angeles, the last dedicated classic rock station went off the air two years ago, so most of the '70s stuff has been aged out. We have a couple of stations that mix in the "oldies," but it's usually the same tunes over and over. I used to hear "Maybe I'm Amazed" or "Jet" frequently, but your best bet now is either satellite (Sirius XM) or a weekly Beatles show on terrestrial, like we have here in L.A.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 17, 2019 07:18

I'll buy Paul's new 45 for sure.

OT: John Lennon + Chuck Berry together on Mike Douglas show
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 18, 2019 18:27

A nice little slice of nostalgia. Wish Lennon had left the misses home.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: John Lennon + Chuck Berry together on Mike Douglas show
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 18:38

The comedian Bill Burr has a hilarious take on this performance...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2019 19:34

Always difficult to enjoy what could have been a landmark historical occasion...
At the 1:58 mark, Chuck's eyes grow wide with astonishment as Yoko starts shrieking.grinning smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2019 19:37

keefriff99
The comedian Bill Burr has a hilarious take on this performance...

[youtu.be]

Its the only thing I ever think when I see this performance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:02

Lol...just watched that Bill Bur clip after I posted...might have seen it before though as he also mentions the look on Chuck's face.

grinning smiley

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:36

Hairball
Lol...just watched that Bill Bur clip after I posted...might have seen it before though as he also mentions the look on Chuck's face.

grinning smiley

Just watched the clip with Bill Bur's commentary. From this day forward I will never be able to watch it without thinking of his "thoughts" about the look on my dad's face.

CBII

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:40

Great to see ya back, CB!

Are you on the road?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:39

OMG. Just watched the Bill Burr video. He captured basically what I thought as I watched the clip. I'll be sharing Burr's video with friends to whom I sent the Douglas show video.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:58

John Lennon in great form, what a superb live performer he was . Great shame that after 1966 he did so few live concerts and TV shows.
Chuck Berry seemed a lot more relaxed than 12 or so years later when he did the TV film with Keith.
I suspect he saw John Lennon as 'an equal'...one of the very few in his eyes.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:17

There are 3 great music legends in this video...
1. Chuck Berry
2. John Lennon, and
3. The guy who switched off Yoko Ono's microphone during Johnny B Good.

LOL! My all-time favorite you-tube comment from another clip of this video

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 19, 2019 05:57

Ffs yoko

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 19, 2019 06:13

I remenber seeing that when I was a kid. It was the first time I ever saw Chuck and the duck walk. It made me a fan.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: October 19, 2019 06:40

I assume Chuck knew it was coming because he doesnt turn around to look for a dead chicken, or whatever else could make that shriek!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 19, 2019 20:40

Oh damn, just watched the Bill Burr video. Sorry but I have to agree with him. Always felt a little bad for Yoko since John loved her I guess we had to sort of accept her. Well, I guess this subject could be and has been beaten to death.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 19, 2019 20:55

thumbs up Bill Burr +

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 19, 2019 22:52

frankotero
Oh damn, just watched the Bill Burr video. Sorry but I have to agree with him. Always felt a little bad for Yoko since John loved her I guess we had to sort of accept her. Well, I guess this subject could be and has been beaten to death.

she had some decent stuff of her own music like "walking on thin ice" & "don't worry kyoko mummy's only dying in the snow". the problems came when she injected herself into john's songs. i actually like that version of "across the universe" with the birds & her doing a little bit of vocals. the song with chuck berry is really bad though. chuck's reaction is priceless!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 19, 2019 23:07

crholmstrom
that version of "across the universe" with the birds & her doing a little bit of vocals.

Not Yoko...

[www.beatlesbible.com]

"On 4 February 1968, while The Beatles were recording Across The Universe, it was decided that the song needed female harmony vocals in the chorus. Paul McCartney stepped outside the studio and held an impromptu audition among the 'Apple Scruffs' gathered outside Abbey Road.

The girls were Lizzie Bravo, 16, and Gayleen Pease, 17. They were the only Beatles fans ever invited to contribute to a recording session.

"There was a whole crowd of girls outside and Paul went out to find a couple of suitable ones. They were so excited. They couldn't believe they'd actually been invited by Paul not just inside the building but into the studio itself, to sing with The Beatles."

Martin Benge, engineer
The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Mark Lewisohn"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 21, 2019 13:16

CBII
Hairball

grinning smiley

Just watched the clip with Bill Bur's commentary. From this day forward I will never be able to watch it without thinking of his "thoughts" about the look on my dad's face.

Who can blame him? She sounds like a slowly dying goat.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 17:22

I am pretty sure the only Beatles songs Yoko sings on are bungalow Bill and revolution number nine.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 21, 2019 17:30

whitem8
I am pretty sure the only Beatles songs Yoko sings on are bungalow Bill and revolution number nine.

She's not bad on Bungalow Bill. Good usage of her.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: October 21, 2019 20:53

jlowe
John Lennon in great form, what a superb live performer he was . Great shame that after 1966 he did so few live concerts and TV shows.
Chuck Berry seemed a lot more relaxed than 12 or so years later when he did the TV film with Keith.
I suspect he saw John Lennon as 'an equal'...one of the very few in his eyes.

Yeah, that struck me, as well. Very different from the way Chuck has interacted with other musicians. He seems genuinely appreciative and approving of who Lennon was and what he meant to pop music.

Date: November 5, 2019 04:27

This is great writing:

Once there was a way to get back homeward
Once there was a way to get back home

Its emotional complexity comes from the oblique way in which it says that while there may have once been a way homeward, we certainly can't get back there anymore.

The plaintiveness in the singer's voice is the cue: this is innocence lost ... and by not spelling it out directly, the Beatles have made us complicit in constructing the song's reveal. We are the ones who fill in the (somewhat obvious, granted) blanks: the Beatles are not a band anymore ... and we can't go home again.

Abbey Road is full of these gems. And while George supplied the two biggest hits and John's "Come Together" and "I Want You" are monsters, most of the emotional wallop, at least for me, comes from Paul on this record.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 5, 2019 05:32

LazarusSmith
This is great writing:

Its emotional complexity comes from the oblique way in which it says that while there may have once been a way homeward, we certainly can't get back there anymore.

The plaintiveness in the singer's voice is the cue: this is innocence lost ... and by not spelling it out directly, the Beatles have made us complicit in constructing the song's reveal. We are the ones who fill in the (somewhat obvious, granted) blanks: the Beatles are not a band anymore ... and we can't go home again.

Abbey Road is full of these gems. And while George supplied the two biggest hits and John's "Come Together" and "I Want You" are monsters, most of the emotional wallop, at least for me, comes from Paul on this record.

Most of “Golden Slumbers” was err . . . inspired by Thomas Dekker’s Cradle Song:

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise;
Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby,
Rock them, rock them, lullaby.

Care is heavy, therefore sleep you,
You are care, and care must keep you;

Date: November 5, 2019 05:47

drbryant
LazarusSmith
This is great writing:

Most of “Golden Slumbers” was err . . . inspired by Thomas Dekker’s Cradle Song:

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise;

Care is heavy, therefore sleep you,
You are care, and care must keep you;

Absolutely. The opening lines ("once there was a way") were original as far as I can tell; the rest of the song relied pretty heavily on existing material.

Stones vs. Beatles - Beatles could never do this, Stones could never do that
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 7, 2019 05:27

Ah yes, the battle of the ages. I think about how there is a certain amount of overlap between both groups in terms of their recordings and musical capabilities. Note in their early careers they were rerecording a lot of the same 'undiscovered' American music. But certainly there are things that the Stones recorded that the Beatles could never pull off. Just like Beatles recorded stuff that the Stones could never pull off. It's like a Venn diagram.

For example, the Beatles could never do something like "Brown Sugar" or "Honky Tonk Woman." They just don't have that swing and a certain earthy rock and roll feel.

The Stones could never do a song like "A Day in the Life" or "She Loves You." It just wouldn't work. The Stones doing "She Loves You" (even with better harmony vocalists to back up Mick) would be a disaster.

The Beatles doing "Bitch"? Laughable.

The Stones doing "Paperback Writer"? A cringe fest.

Anyway, I would put the entire catalogs of both groups on my desert island flash drive.

Re: Stones vs. Beatles - Beatles could never do this, Stones could never do that
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 7, 2019 12:07

Where this will end up: [iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Stones vs. Beatles - Beatles could never do this, Stones could never do that
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 7, 2019 12:20

Deltics

Where this will end up: [iorr.org]

And here: [iorr.org] .... winking smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 7, 2019 13:12

Exile – the Stones could never get more far away from anything the Beatles could have done…

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...138139140141142143144145146147148...LastNext
Current Page: 143 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home