Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...135136137138139140141142143144145...LastNext
Current Page: 140 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 29, 2019 03:21

Listened to the Super Deluxe version of Abbey Road....incredible

I love the outtakes.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:28

I agree the outtakes are outstanding! The outtake of I want you is worth the price of admission. The Giles Martin mix I am not as enthusiastic about. Somethings he gets gloriously right and other things are epic fails. For me the big fail is the muted guitars on many of the songs. It’s interesting how the two surviving Beatles are boosted the most in the mix. The bass is too heavy in my opinion. I listened to this on headphones 24 bit through a DAC.

OT: Beatles Abbey Road 50th
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 00:44

Wow - just got it today, what a crying shame that we couldn't have something like this for "Let It Bleed" I'm only a few songs in on the sessions discs and reading the awesome book - this is money well spent if you have any interest in this band and this album.

Re: OT: Beatles Abbey Road 50th
Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 01:18

Lynd8
Wow - just got it today, what a crying shame that we couldn't have something like this for "Let It Bleed" I'm only a few songs in on the sessions discs and reading the awesome book - this is money well spent if you have any interest in this band and this album.

Got mine. Totally agree on both points.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 1, 2019 01:21

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 1, 2019 02:42

Agree. Very enjoyable

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 1, 2019 02:49

Not a Beatles fan as such, but I’ve been looking forward to this. I love abbey road and the release looks great. Plenty of session tracks. Good to hear good reviews. Ill be picking it up this weekend.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 1, 2019 10:48

the remaster is wonderful. i wish they made the blu-ray available as a separate issue. would love to hear the atmos mix.

Date: October 1, 2019 15:23

Does only the Super Deluxe version have the book? I cant tell.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 1, 2019 18:02

Nice boxset. I just wish there was more studio chatter with the various tracks.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: October 2, 2019 17:22

Been blastin the Spotify version of the 50th Anniv ABBEY ROAD all week.

Not enough of a Beatles fan to appreciate the outtakes but OH MY GOD I’d forgotten what a nearly perfect album this is.

Christ the songs the playing the arrangements the production the vocals THE SHEER MUSICAL INVENTION on display throughout. “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” all by itself is a revelation, prefiguring so much of what came later in pop music. “You Never Give Me Your Money” is a four minute operetta, and I had both goose bumps and tears listening to the final rock-out of “The End.”

At this rate, I may have to breakdown and listen to some Beatles records!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 2, 2019 17:29

Go LazarusSmith! No problem to wave your Beatles Flag, not with me anyway.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2019 19:35

LazarusSmith
At this rate, I may have to breakdown and listen to some Beatles records!

Never too late to become a devout Beatles fan, and with all the great box sets and anniversary releases, impossible to resist!

-Beatles fan since '63

Date: October 4, 2019 20:17

The Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ Is UK’s No. 1 Again, 49 Years & 252 Days Later

‘Abbey Road’ becomes the album with the longest-ever span between runs at No. 1 in the UK.

Number 1

The Beatles’ 1969 classic Abbey Road has today (4) made a triumphant return to No. 1 in the UK, and the group have broken their own longevity record in the process.

The 50th anniversary editions of the album take it back into the Official Charts Company survey at the top, 49 years and 252 days since its 17-week run there ended on 31 January 1970. That outdoes the 49 years and 125 days between the end of the original run for Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and its return to the top on its 50th anniversary in June 2017.

Sir Paul McCartney has commented on the news by saying: “It’s hard to believe that Abbey Road still holds up after all these years. But then again it’s a bloody cool album.” Some 9,000 of the reissue’s combined sales total came on vinyl, making it No. 1 on that chart too.

The chart history of Abbey Road in the UK is a long and interesting one, with multiple runs on the bestsellers like many of its bedfellows. It debuted at No. 1 on the list dated 4 October 1969, taking over at the top from Blind Faith’s eponymous and only studio album, which had spent two weeks there.

Abbey Road enjoyed an initial 11-week span at the summit, before falling to No. 2 just before Christmas, behind the Rolling Stones’ new entry with Let It Bleed. But it was behind for only one week, spending six more there before the sequence ended on that January 1970 date. It was then in the top ten for a further 13 weeks, in an unbroken run of 61 weeks on the chart as a whole, until November 1970.

The album made minor chart inroads on several occasions until 1973. It briefly reappeared when it was released on CD for the first time in 1987. In 2009, a 40th anniversary edition took it back into the UK top ten for a week at No. 6; its last showing before the new 50th anniversary releases was in August this year, when it showed at No. 95 for a week.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 5, 2019 03:13

Got mine today, fantastic, the stones always behind the Beatles it seems. Keep on releasing DVDs, lol

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2019 05:28

crholmstrom
the remaster is wonderful. i wish they made the blu-ray available as a separate issue. would love to hear the atmos mix.

The 2009 remaster does sound wonderful. I'm getting the remix tomorrow.

Date: October 5, 2019 05:36

Hairball
The Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ Is UK’s No. 1 Again, 49 Years & 252 Days Later

‘Abbey Road’ becomes the album with the longest-ever span between runs at No. 1 in the UK.

Huh.

EXILE ON MAIN STREET may be the greatest album ever but... The Beatles are so much bigger than the Stones.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 5, 2019 12:18

Yes, The Beatles were/are in a class of their own.
Of course, breaking up whilst at the height of their powers was the perfect career move.

Date: October 5, 2019 18:38

No doubt they would have continued to excel for quite awhile based on some of the songs on their solo albums.
Imagine meets Band on the Run meets My Sweet Lord meets It Don't Come Easy - and that's just a start.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 5, 2019 18:43

Hairball
No doubt they would have continued to excel for quite awhile based on some of the songs on their solo albums.
Imagine meets Band on the Run meets My Sweet Lord meets It Don't Come Easy - and that's just a start.

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 5, 2019 18:49

Yeah Deltics, I was going to add there's been much speculation as to "what if" throughout the years...even here on IORR!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 5, 2019 21:19

what if

[twitter.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 5, 2019 23:03

the atmos mix of abbey road is a revelation. good Lord!

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: October 6, 2019 00:20

jlowe
Of course, breaking up whilst at the height of their powers was the perfect career move.

It's quite remarkable. Ringo - arguably their least accomplished member - had EIGHT top 10 singles in the US from 1971-74. Keith has never had ONE. Mick had TWO but they were duets with Bowie and the Jacksons; never had one on his own. ("Just Another Night" came close: #12.)

Beatles really on a diff level from everyone else.

Date: October 6, 2019 06:07

A few aspects the Stones will always have over The Beatles:

More studio albums
More singles - but less #1s - Beatles had 72 charting singles, the Stones 56
More live albums
More live videos
More music videos (promotional videos for singles etc)
More money
More hits comps
More reissues
More tours
More venues
More money
More tour posters
More money

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 06:09 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 6, 2019 13:01

BUT
The Beatles world wide sales easily exceed The Stones. By some distance, despite:
(Beatles 1962/70) (The Stones 1963 and still counting).

A big IF question is how Mick and Keith's Solo careers would have panned out if the group had disbanded in say, 1974.

Their solo albums have not had the same chart or critical success as early Beatles solo material. The Gallagher boys have surprised most pundits with their solo careers since Oasis split.
I suppose the big unknown is would more Stones fans have bought the solo material if they knew the group had finished once and for all?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 6, 2019 13:13

Abbey Road is a very good album, but being No. 1 50 years later just tells a lot about the lack of new music anno 2019.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 7, 2019 01:35

frankotero
Go LazarusSmith! No problem to wave your Beatles Flag, not with me anyway.

Nor me. I've seen Paul McCartney live 8 times, all of them since May 2015!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 7, 2019 03:08

LazarusSmith
jlowe

It's quite remarkable. Ringo - arguably their least accomplished member - had EIGHT top 10 singles in the US from 1971-74. Keith has never had ONE. Mick had TWO but they were duets with Bowie and the Jacksons; never had one on his own. ("Just Another Night" came close: #12.)

Beatles really on a diff level from everyone else.

It's not remarkable they were the Beatles...........but you comparison is not correct the Stones released there solo stuff much later but even then the Beatles would have won because they had 4 singers and they looked cute and the overall songs were for a wider range of people.

Date: October 7, 2019 04:00

jlowe
BUT
The Beatles world wide sales easily exceed The Stones. By some distance, despite:
(Beatles 1962/70) (The Stones 1963 and still counting).

A big IF question is how Mick and Keith's Solo careers would have panned out if the group had disbanded in say, 1974.

Their solo albums have not had the same chart or critical success as early Beatles solo material. The Gallagher boys have surprised most pundits with their solo careers since Oasis split.
I suppose the big unknown is would more Stones fans have bought the solo material if they knew the group had finished once and for all?

That's extremely doubtful. They very likely would've been treated as indie solo acts had they broke up in 1974, and the likeliness of them recording with who they did record with very likely wouldn't've happened, yet alone sustained a solo career for 40 some years.

Paul McCartney they ain't.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...135136137138139140141142143144145...LastNext
Current Page: 140 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1376
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home