Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...133134135136137138139140141142143...LastNext
Current Page: 138 of 223
Re: OT: The Beatles to Release Deluxe "Abbey Road" Re-Issue Sets
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 9, 2019 17:05

I'm don't think I have a 'those recordings are OUR property' attitude.

More like I'd just love to sit down with some headphones on and zone out to a few hours of 'fresh' Stones music (that would probably only be for non-casual fans) in the same way that I've done with the Beach Boys yearly releases (about 3 hours of stuff from them last year).

Wouldn't you?

As for the costs, well, I will admit that I don't have any idea about the process, but, if almost every other band can do it, I'm not sure why the Stones can't.

I think it would be great to get some of this stuff into the ears and hearts of Stones fans now, cause in 10-30 years more there will be almost no-one alive who would be interested in hearing such obscure nuggets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-09 17:15 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: August 9, 2019 17:11

I’ve enjoyed the remixes to the albums that have been done for the Beatles reissues. As far as bonus material, the Esher Demos from the White Album reissue is the only worthwhile content in my opinion. Then again, I’m not really interested in multiple takes of a song, unless there are some interesting differences.

As far as the Stones reissues, I thought EOMS, Some Girls and Sticky Fingers were excellent releases. I still listen to the bonus material. If the band ever gets ownership of their pre-1971 releases, then I’d expect a proper reissue of those earlier albums. Until then, I’m sure we’ll see 50th anniversary reissues of Sticky Fingers, EOMS, GHS, IORR and so on as we reach those milestones.

-Cam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-09 17:19 by CamRS.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 9, 2019 17:43

We (fans) are like nerds chasing the homecoming queen (Stones). They say nice stuff to us, but don't really give a damn about us (other than damn good live shows which we pay dearly for).

eye popping smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 9, 2019 17:44

WorriedAboutYou
Palace Revolution 2000
I don't think the Beatles sound dated; ever. I can not imagine saying 'Yawn' to the Beatles.
And the Beatles are not the only act to out do the Stones on re-issues. Matter of fact I'd say just about any act who ever put out more than 3 halfway decent records has done better than the Stones in the re-issue dept.
I'm a lifer - but man, oh man do I wish Jagger would just let someone like Gazza back in those vaults, and give them free reign.

The thing with vault recordings and out-takes is that they're usually not available to the public for a reason - most of the Stones out-take studio stuff that I've heard is interesting once or twice, but never something I'd go back to over the official recordings. The band obviously feel the same.

With Some Girls they did an absolutely phenomenal job of not only cleaning up vault recordings, but actually making them listenable as a stand alone, full album. CD2 totally rivals the main SG album, widely regarded as one of their best LPs. That is extremely rare for any band and should be commended. Begging for scraps after they released such a meaty collection of songs is just off.

The Some Girls reissue was the band's way of saying "we hear you, we get that the diehards want rare vault recordings, but it has to be of excellent quality and not the kind of garbage that most bands release and you'll never listen to". The quality control was exemplary.

From what I remember around the time that Some Girls was released, Jagger stated that there was a lot of material recorded for some Girls that didn't make the cut (some of it did eventually end up on Emotional Rescue), so it may very well be that the bonus disc on the SG reissue (which I actually enjoy more than the original disc of music on disc 1) had more quality cuts than to use for the re-issue compared to what was left over for Exile. Don't forget, Exile was a two disc sets worth of material.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 9, 2019 17:54

The Exile re-issue seemed so strange to me. Is this all they had? Why some of these choices? How about some raunch from the basement?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 9, 2019 18:16

Elmo Lewis
The Exile re-issue seemed so strange to me. Is this all they had? Why some of these choices? How about some raunch from the basement?

There must be more. In "Stones In Exile" there's a snippet of "Can I Get A Witness" from the basement, probably a warm-up. I want stuff like that! Also, as good as it is, the SG bonus is not what it could have been.

My take is that they're holding stuff back for future reissues. As masters in economics, they just don't give us everything at once...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-09 18:17 by retired_dog.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: August 9, 2019 19:29

Elmo Lewis

If I had to speculate, I’d guess a couple of reasons they chose the songs they did was because:

1. Marrying 2010 Mick lyrics and vocals with 1969-1971 instrumentals was a challenge. For example, maybe he took a stab at Potted Shrimp and it either didn’t sound good, or he couldn’t come up with lyrics to match the mood of that instrumental.

2. Based on the interviews promoting the EOMS reissue, Mick seemed to really want to take the focus away from the now-legendary Nellcote sessions and put the spotlight more on the EOMS songs that they recorded prior to them going to France. Hence, why the songs they chose range from 1969-1971 (other than the infamous Title 5)

Hopefully if they do a 50th Anniversary of SF and EOMS, they’ll organize the outtakes in its chronological order and include some more of the basement recordings. If Bob Dylan feels comfortable releasing his complete Basement Tapes, so should the Stones smiling smiley

-Cam

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 9, 2019 20:13

With each passing 50 years since... the copyright runs out on any previously unreleased music.

Not long left to protect any previously unreleased 1969 recordings. Then 1970, 1971 and so on.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2019 20:23

peoplewitheyes
I would agree with PR200, I think almost every 'heritage' (or whatever) act has put out more, and more interesting, 'deluxe' editions than the Stones.

The Who
The Beach Boys
Neil Young.

I would love to listen to 5 hours of Tumblin Dice run throughs. Just release them digitally, the costs would be minimal, and i can't for the life of me see how that might 'damage their reputation'.

And Bob Dylan of course.

The Stones could have (and should have) done a Bootleg Series ala Dylan or even a Beatles Anthology type of release a long time ago, but instead they only leak little bits of rarities/oddities.
And then you look at the Beggars 50th Anniversary release which was basically a slap in the face - I was full of hope it would be something to praise and cherish, but alas it was basically useless.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 9, 2019 21:33

His Majesty
With each passing 50 years since... the copyright runs out on any previously unreleased music.

Not long left to protect any previously unreleased 1969 recordings. Then 1970, 1971 and so on.

So, in theory we might get a C S Blues release?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 9, 2019 21:38

jlowe

I think film and broadcasts etc have different and longer copyright coverage. 75 years.

Might be wrong.

Edit: Ah you mean the song!

Still might not get officially released. If not it can then be put out by anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-09 21:42 by His Majesty.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 9, 2019 21:49

The Beatles have done an outstanding job with their re-issues---the White album box set from last year was / is amazing. Cant wait to get the Abbey Road box....and looking forward to next years Let It Be box / movie reissue

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 9, 2019 21:53

His Majesty
jlowe

I think film and broadcasts etc have different and longer copyright coverage. 75 years.

Might be wrong.

Edit: Ah you mean the song!

Still might not get officially released. If not it can then be put out by anyone.

Yes, I mean the song.
So release as a Single on the iorr label, of course.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 9, 2019 21:57

sorry i just dont agree the beatles captured something the stones didnt.

the stones have an amazing back catalogue of great songs and are very underrated.they have so many hidden gems tucked away in their album tracks.

the beatles made great songs and some very good ones and a lot of crap too,

if the stones had made yellow submarine or obla di obla da they would have been lynched for it, but the beatles get away with this crap. beatles fans laud over so many average hits, love me do, get back, let it be etc.

beatles are the most overrated band in history.

sure they were very good,in a nice bouncy pop way but they just never had this intensity mixed with variation the stones had which many times has made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and a lot of beatles songs sound like kiddies nursery tunes.

i think john was jealous of the stones but would never admit it.

he has falsely accused the stones many times of copying the beatles.

i like the beatles but never get tired of bashing them and will never apologize for doing so., the stones are better but were the bad boys while the beatles were the good boys and that was one of the reasons for their poularity.

beatles were on the verge of breaking up while the stones were entering into the big 4 albums.

if the beatles were so good they would have countered them.

but they couldnt.

Date: August 9, 2019 22:08

lol buttons67...seems I've read that same post before, and practically word for word - you must have it memorized!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 9, 2019 22:16

my ears do, hairball.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:19

The Beatles Deluxe stuff has been fantastic so far and worth every cent. I love the work tapes and the outtakes. And they don't overdub new vocals or guitar parts. Regarding Some Girls, I actually prefer most of the bootlegs to the "Modern Mick" stuff.

To each his own but to pompously write off the Beatles as if one's opinion is the last word on them is ridiculous. Opinions are like... etc.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:36

retired_dog
Elmo Lewis

There must be more. In "Stones In Exile" there's a snippet of "Can I Get A Witness" from the basement, probably a warm-up. I want stuff like that! Also, as good as it is, the SG bonus is not what it could have been.

My take is that they're holding stuff back for future reissues. As masters in economics, they just don't give us everything at once...

My guess is that the Stones compare to the Beatles doesn't have that amount of tapes of recordings that takes place in the mobile studio...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 10, 2019 02:24

black n blue
Back to zero is a real classic too. Wtf

I recently was watching some Live Aid from 1985 and on came Mick Jagger singing "Just Another Night" a real winner.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 10, 2019 02:45

WorriedAboutYou
GasLightStreet

The Stones haven't done anything near as interesting as The Beatles with any reissues yet alone anthologies. After all, Mick can't be bothered with the past, even though he insists on sticking to it with the current greatest hits review set list.

The Some Girls and Exile reissues SMOKE anything The Beatles have released. This Abbey Road (YAWN) reissue is just a collection of oddities that you'll play once, if at all, and then file away with the rest of your tedious Beatles collection. Some Girls and Exile reissues can be blasted daily and enjoyed in full. Pass the wine.

@#$%& the Beatles. Most overrated band in history.

Huh.

What a bizarre view. You must have a very low bar if you think the SG and EOMS extras reissues SMOKE anything The Beatles have released yet alone reissued.

Date: August 10, 2019 02:55

WorriedAboutYou
Palace Revolution 2000
I don't think the Beatles sound dated; ever. I can not imagine saying 'Yawn' to the Beatles.
And the Beatles are not the only act to out do the Stones on re-issues. Matter of fact I'd say just about any act who ever put out more than 3 halfway decent records has done better than the Stones in the re-issue dept.
I'm a lifer - but man, oh man do I wish Jagger would just let someone like Gazza back in those vaults, and give them free reign.

The thing with vault recordings and out-takes is that they're usually not available to the public for a reason - most of the Stones out-take studio stuff that I've heard is interesting once or twice, but never something I'd go back to over the official recordings. The band obviously feel the same.

With Some Girls they did an absolutely phenomenal job of not only cleaning up vault recordings, but actually making them listenable as a stand alone, full album. CD2 totally rivals the main SG album, widely regarded as one of their best LPs. That is extremely rare for any band and should be commended. Begging for scraps after they released such a meaty collection of songs is just off.

The Some Girls reissue was the band's way of saying "we hear you, we get that the diehards want rare vault recordings, but it has to be of excellent quality and not the kind of garbage that most bands release and you'll never listen to". The quality control was exemplary.

In all seriousness, how many times are you going to listen to "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)" compared to say, So Young or When You're Gone from the SG reissue? Case CLOSED.

That Stones SOME GIRLS extra disc contains recordings done after SOME GIRLS. They could've released a box set just from the SG sessions alone. Instead they put the boring pedestrian When You're Gone, Claudine, Keep Up Blues, Don't Be A Stranger and, gee, So Young got released again.

I got it strictly for No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care? and Tallahassee Lassie, the only 3 that are really good, with the last one being from the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions, which, like the SG sessions, could also be a box set of their own.

The Beatles tracks, whether from the ANTHOLOGY series or the recent reissues, not only have previously unreleased tracks but also reveal how the songs evolved and I listen to them often so, case open.

Date: August 10, 2019 02:57

buttons67
sorry i just dont agree the beatles captured something the stones didnt.

the stones have an amazing back catalogue of great songs and are very underrated.they have so many hidden gems tucked away in their album tracks.

the beatles made great songs and some very good ones and a lot of crap too,

if the stones had made yellow submarine or obla di obla da they would have been lynched for it, but the beatles get away with this crap. beatles fans laud over so many average hits, love me do, get back, let it be etc.

beatles are the most overrated band in history.

sure they were very good,in a nice bouncy pop way but they just never had this intensity mixed with variation the stones had which many times has made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and a lot of beatles songs sound like kiddies nursery tunes.

i think john was jealous of the stones but would never admit it.

he has falsely accused the stones many times of copying the beatles.

i like the beatles but never get tired of bashing them and will never apologize for doing so., the stones are better but were the bad boys while the beatles were the good boys and that was one of the reasons for their poularity.

beatles were on the verge of breaking up while the stones were entering into the big 4 albums.

if the beatles were so good they would have countered them.

but they couldnt.

Uh... how old are you? That sounds like some kind of middle skool MY DAD IS BIGGER THAN YOUR DAD kind of tripe.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 10, 2019 05:29

bob r
The Beatles have done an outstanding job with their re-issues---the White album box set from last year was / is amazing. Cant wait to get the Abbey Road box....and looking forward to next years Let It Be box / movie reissue
Ditto. I thought the White Album re issue was awesome.

Date: August 10, 2019 05:51

Sighunt
bob r
Ditto. I thought the White Album re issue was awesome.

Yes, it's a beauty. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2019 17:21

Spud
GasLightStreet
Wow.

The Beatles captured something The Rolling Stones didn't - eternal interest. This ABBEY ROAD reissue will probably outsell the past, oh, 7 Stones studio albums combined (U - BAL).

The Stones haven't done anything near as interesting as The Beatles with any reissues yet alone anthologies. After all, Mick can't be bothered with the past, even though he insists on sticking to it with the current greatest hits review set list.

What a shame... again, for the gazillionth time.

Just for a bit of balance...we should remember that the Stones have done a little bit more than the Beatles over the last 50 years or so !

[As a kid, up to being about 11 or 12, the Beatles were my No 1 band...but then I developed a taste for music with a bit more gristle and grime grinning smiley]

seriously? if your referring to unreleased material, then the 3 albums the Beatles released in the 90s, with those new singles, Real Love and Free as a Bird, are more material than the Stones have released by a mile.

If you're referring to the constant stream of concerts being released since the 2010s, ok sure, but that's a completely different kettle of fish.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:59

Seems kinda expensive for 3 discs. 50% of the amount of music as the White Album 50th for 75% of the price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 20:00 by kovach.

Date: August 11, 2019 20:14

kovach
Seems kinda expensive for 3 discs. 50% of the amount of music as the White Album 50th for 75% of the price.

Pre-order price 30% off at Import Cd's listed at $77.42 + 2.99 shipping (US dollar) > Abbey Road

While Amazon US has it listed as a pre-order at $109.98 > Abbey Road

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 21, 2019 08:00

I don't know why I'm so annoyed by this, but there seems to be a story to every single Beatles song ever. And it's always people stories that involve multiple celebrities from the sixties and what they said at Johns house and how George and Paul were not on speaking terms during the recording and yada yada. You never find out anything interesting about the song itself when you research it, just some script to another Beatles episode. Is this due to 50 years of Beatles studies and exegesis?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 21, 2019 08:03

Maybe it's due to four guys no longer being the Beatles but always talking about them. It's a good thing that won't happen to the Stones

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 21, 2019 12:00

Nikkei

I don't know why I'm so annoyed by this, but there seems to be a story to every single Beatles song ever.

Books about it:

The Story Behind Every Beatles Release: [www.Amazon.com] .

The Rolling Stones - The Story Behind Every Track: [www.Amazon.com] .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...133134135136137138139140141142143...LastNext
Current Page: 138 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2514
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home