Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...127128129130131132133134135136137...LastNext
Current Page: 132 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 24, 2018 20:26

It amazes me that the Stones have not done something equivalent to SGT PEPPERS or THE BEATLES remix plus extras releases with various outtakes, demos, new mixes, edit versions, B-sides, remixes, different mixes... for equally important LPs (BEGGARS, BLEED, FINGERS, SG and TY) and maybe some of the lesser popular but still important LPs in the catalog (GHS, BAB, ER) where they had plenty of songs recorded.

Yet alone! a kind of anthology series like The Beatles have had.

For whatever reason, other than 'they're still going', they missed the boat with doing those kinds of projects. The importance of those albums in their timeline should have zero factor with them still going or not - they're essential albums of their discography and history.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 24, 2018 21:16

GasLightStreet
It amazes me that the Stones have not done something equivalent to SGT PEPPERS or THE BEATLES remix plus extras releases with various outtakes, demos, new mixes, edit versions, B-sides, remixes, different mixes... for equally important LPs (BEGGARS, BLEED, FINGERS, SG and TY) and maybe some of the lesser popular but still important LPs in the catalog (GHS, BAB, ER) where they had plenty of songs recorded.

For whatever reason, other than 'they're still going', they missed the boat with doing those kinds of projects. The importance of those albums in their timeline should have zero factor with them still going or not - they're essential albums of their discography and history.
While it is frustrating, there are obviously issues with ABKCO that hinders the 60s releases. To the Stones credit, I like their 70s released box sets and they are working their way through their filmed concerts and releasing them. BUT I won't be evr completely satisfied until an extensive Mocambo and a video of Knebworth is put out ( hopefully the tapes for both still exist)

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 24, 2018 21:32

DrPete
GasLightStreet

While it is frustrating, there are obviously issues with ABKCO that hinders the 60s releases. To the Stones credit, I like their 70s released box sets and they are working their way through their filmed concerts and releasing them. BUT I won't be evr completely satisfied until an extensive Mocambo and a video of Knebworth is put out ( hopefully the tapes for both still exist)

This has of course been debated many times and often.
Actually, there has been some co-operation between the Stones and ABKCO in the past.
For Beggars Banquet I can't help but think that if there had been the desire of both parties to do a type of 'White album' archival release it could have been possible.
However, Mick and Keith (and the public) would have been reminded again of the group at their peak of their recording powers.....and in view of the possible release of a new album soon, the timing would not be good.
Imagine the critics reviews of a new album: 'Yes its pretty good, but not a patch on Beggars Banquet'.
Not good PR.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 24, 2018 22:18

The ABKCO owners might not have the type of people that are willing to track down and compile boxed sets of outtakes and demos. Giles Martin and other Apple personnel did a lot of work to make that extra material available. Apple has full control of their archives and releases. While the Stones may have cooperated with the earlier single-disc remasters, there may areas where they don't have enough access to their own tapes or incentive to go out of their way to help in other areas.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 24, 2018 22:19

Deltics
potus43
it's on the wrong site yo

Perhaps you'd like to inform
Bjornulf Vik (bv)
IORR Editor & moderator
E-mail: [email protected]

About?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 24, 2018 22:23

potus43
Deltics
potus43
it's on the wrong site yo

Perhaps you'd like to inform
Bjornulf Vik (bv)
IORR Editor & moderator
E-mail: [email protected]

About?

Thick as well as deaf.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 24, 2018 22:29

Huh?????

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 24, 2018 22:49

jlowe
DrPete
GasLightStreet

Actually, there has been some co-operation between the Stones and ABKCO in the past.
For Beggars Banquet I can't help but think that if there had been the desire of both parties to do a type of 'White album' archival release it could have been possible.
However, Mick and Keith (and the public) would have been reminded again of the group at their peak of their recording powers.....and in view of the possible release of a new album soon, the timing would not be good.
Imagine the critics reviews of a new album: 'Yes its pretty good, but not a patch on Beggars Banquet'.
Not good PR.

Paul just released a new CD in a relatively short time frame with the White Album Deluxe. He doesn't seem concerned with comparisons. If anything the Deluxe puts him more in the spotlight. Neil Young and Dylan are doing the same and getting great publicity as a result. Comprehensive collections of the historical Stones masterpieces could only be a good thing, in my opinion.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2018 23:14

bleedingman

Paul just released a new CD in a relatively short time frame with the White Album Deluxe. He doesn't seem concerned with comparisons. If anything the Deluxe puts him more in the spotlight. Neil Young and Dylan are doing the same and getting great publicity as a result. Comprehensive collections of the historical Stones masterpieces could only be a good thing, in my opinion.

I also reflected this in BEGGARS thread, and all I can conclude that the Stones are still so bitter with ABKCO - or of the fact they don't have total control over some of their most important material - that they simply refuse to co-operate with them profoundly. Like with Macca and Dylan anything released from their glory past (and done properly) can only work for them (and not putting their recent activities to shame). Their manager also hinted recently how difficult the situation between ABKCO and The Stones still is, even though they have learned to "live with it". But had the 60's material being in totally in their hands, we most likely would have seen similar deluxe treatments of BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED as we have of STICKY FINGERS, EXILE and SOME GIRLS.

But the situation being as it is all parties are losers here: The Stones, ABKCO and we fans and friends of cultural history. But I think the Stones are the least losing here: for them probably losing some bucks - and their 'legacy' is not dependent on some archieve releases - is worth of knowing that ABKCO do not gain any extra penny out of them. They have afford to be so arrogant over some of their most legendary achievements.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-24 23:23 by Doxa.

Date: November 25, 2018 18:17

bleedingman
jlowe
DrPete
GasLightStreet

Not good PR.

Every time the Stones have released something since 1983, or perhaps earlier, they're reminded about how they're not at the peak of their recording powers.

I don't buy that at all regarding any kind of in-depth reissue ala THE BEATLES or SGT PEPPERS.

Because if there was an ounce of truth to it, they'd not only play 4-6 tracks off the new LP they're touring, which as far as I can recall, ha ha, was BTB since they essentially ignored ABB, they'd play songs from the recent LPs on the next tours, which they do not do.

So even they know, 'hey mate, we're only good through 1981'.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 9, 2018 17:55

Date: December 10, 2018 07:41

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2018 09:54

Beautiful Brian ….. ^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 10, 2018 11:43

GasLightStreet
bleedingman
jlowe
DrPete
GasLightStreet

Not good PR.

Every time the Stones have released something since 1983, or perhaps earlier, they're reminded about how they're not at the peak of their recording powers.

I don't buy that at all regarding any kind of in-depth reissue ala THE BEATLES or SGT PEPPERS.

Because if there was an ounce of truth to it, they'd not only play 4-6 tracks off the new LP they're touring, which as far as I can recall, ha ha, was BTB since they essentially ignored ABB, they'd play songs from the recent LPs on the next tours, which they do not do.

So even they know, 'hey mate, we're only good through 1981'.

I agree - I don't think they care about not being at the peak of their recording powers. The Stones have released "super deluxe" versions of Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls, and have seemed fine with working on the unreleased material and promoting the packages. Blue & Lonesome is a GREAT album, and I wish they had played more than 2 songs from it in concert. I would have loved to have heard another 2 or 3 songs from the new album over yet another extended "Miss You."

Oh well, still hoping for a new album and still can't wait to seem them in May. It's almost surreal - the Stones are still touring in 2019 . . . .

Date: December 12, 2018 01:38

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 12, 2018 08:18

Hey Ringo didn't get a girl too!

Date: December 18, 2018 09:14

Date: December 18, 2018 21:36

Carnaby

Thank Your Lucky Stars, Birmingham, Sunday 14 April 1963.
With Brian Mathew, Bert Weedon, Del Shannon, Mike Berry, Kent Walton, The Dave Clark Five and The Vernons Girls

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 18, 2018 22:11

Deltics
Carnaby

With Brian Mathew, Bert Weedon, Del Shannon, Mike Berry, Kent Walton, The Dave Clark Five and The Vernons Girls

The deep recesses of the brain are most odd. I saw Deltic's posting identifying the damsels as being The Vernons, and thought that there's a tale there... If you check out [en.wikipedia.org] you'll see that one of them is said to have married Andy White - the drummer who replaced Ringo on "Love Me Do" (although the timing of that claim seems odd given that the photo is from April 1963), and that another married Marty Wilde and was the mother of Kim Wilde (and they lived in the same block of flats in Chiswick as me!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 18, 2018 22:34

CaptainCorella
Deltics
Carnaby

The deep recesses of the brain are most odd. I saw Deltic's posting identifying the damsels as being The Vernons, and thought that there's a tale there... If you check out [en.wikipedia.org] you'll see that one of them is said to have married Andy White - the drummer who replaced Ringo on "Love Me Do" (although the timing of that claim seems odd given that the photo is from April 1963), and that another married Marty Wilde and was the mother of Kim Wilde (and they lived in the same block of flats in Chiswick as me!)

There were sixteen Vernons Girls between 1958 and 1964, the ones in this photo are Maureen Kennedy, Frances Lee and Jean Owen. It was Lyn Cornell that married Andy White and Joyce Smith that married Marty Wilde.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 29, 2018 17:25

John Lennon, the ultimate rock star? I don't know about that, nor would I call the overplayed so its lost all meaning "Imagine" a great protest song. For what it's worth....

[www.forbes.com]

Date: December 29, 2018 18:50

Deltics
CaptainCorella
Deltics
Carnaby

There were sixteen Vernons Girls between 1958 and 1964, the ones in this photo are Maureen Kennedy, Frances Lee and Jean Owen. It was Lyn Cornell that married Andy White and Joyce Smith that married Marty Wilde.

Regardless, they are super fine; all three. Its telling to note that there's about 15 guys in the photo, and the 3 girls know exactly whose lap to sit in.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 29, 2018 21:35

The Forbes "Ultimate Rock Star" article is sort of ridiculous. I get it, people produce those articles around that sad anniversary. But "Imagine" is not that great of a song, to me. While I enjoy "Plastic Ono Band" as a rock album, it's sort of the same song over and over again. Some of the lyrics are preachy, self-righteous, humorless, and self-pitying. John gradually got out of that trap in later solo work. It's nice for this writer that he has a hero. He must never have read the Goldman bio, which features some negative stories by people willing to be quoted on the record. Lennon was a flawed human with some demons.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 30, 2018 17:41

marianna
The Forbes "Ultimate Rock Star" article is sort of ridiculous. I get it, people produce those articles around that sad anniversary. But "Imagine" is not that great of a song, to me. While I enjoy "Plastic Ono Band" as a rock album, it's sort of the same song over and over again. Some of the lyrics are preachy, self-righteous, humorless, and self-pitying. John gradually got out of that trap in later solo work. It's nice for this writer that he has a hero. He must never have read the Goldman bio, which features some negative stories by people willing to be quoted on the record. Lennon was a flawed human with some demons.

I would question the judgement of anyone who considers Lennon a hero. He was a narcissistic bore and if someone can't see that I have trouble respecting their judgement. While obviously he was a great song writing his music got really boring also. Listening to a narcissist constantly singing about himself and his wife is boring.

I worked with a couple of people with the same issues as Lennon and I couldn't stand being around them for more than 5 minutes. If you were forced to be around it is just 8 hours of rambling about themselves.

Date: December 31, 2018 07:22

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 31, 2018 07:48

marianna
Lennon was a flawed human with some demons.

Aren't we all.

Date: December 31, 2018 07:59

The Stones did play more than 2 from BLUE AND LONESOME.

Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 31, 2018 11:43

Lennon was a flawed human with some demons.

One of the best things I liked about him was he didn't mind showing his flaws.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 21, 2019 04:37

If it wasn`t for that medley on side 2, Abbey Road would have been a sub par album.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 21, 2019 04:39

noughties
If it wasn`t for that medley on side 2, Abbey Road would have been a sub par album.

Bang! Bang! Terrible song.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...127128129130131132133134135136137...LastNext
Current Page: 132 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home