Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 23, 2018 05:50

It's also on Facebook. (Never thought I'd be suggesting someone looks there!)

And as others have said, it's stunning stuff. It's good to start with and then at about 16 minutes it's jaw dropping! Tell all of your friends to watch it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: June 23, 2018 05:59

So I thought I'd check a British paper to see the reaction over there...The Daily Mail came up first. WTF? Hundreds of people posting there hate Corden...or McCartney...or everything, it seems. Well, I watched it a dozen times and thought it was great....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 23, 2018 10:07

ThePaleRider
So I thought I'd check a British paper to see the reaction over there...The Daily Mail came up first. WTF? Hundreds of people posting there hate Corden...or McCartney...or everything, it seems. Well, I watched it a dozen times and thought it was great....

I have only seen overwhelmingly positive reviews from people here in the states. Literally a number of places saying people were in tears watching.

Date: June 23, 2018 12:12

Wow, that was extraordinary! Something Mick would never dream of doing.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 23, 2018 13:22

I enjoyed that a lot. Macca comes across very well in this video. A very grounded individual despite all his wealth and fame. I believe he still visits Liverpool regularly with brother Mike living locally in the Wirral.

The only Stone I can ever imagine taking part in a programme like this is Ronnie.

Mick’s far too guarded, Keith couldn’t be bothered with trivia like this, and ditto Charlie, with the added complication that he doesn’t drive.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 23, 2018 13:33

grzegorz67
I enjoyed that a lot. Macca comes across very well in this video. A very grounded individual despite all his wealth and fame. I believe he still visits Liverpool regularly with brother Mike living locally in the Wirral.

The only Stone I can ever imagine taking part in a programme like this is Ronnie.

Mick’s far too guarded, Keith couldn’t be bothered with trivia like this, and ditto Charlie, with the added complication that he doesn’t drive.

When I visited there, I met several locals who told stories of how he returns annually to personally hand out diplomas at the high school he attended. Also legendary New Years Eve parties he still hosts in a nearby home he still owns.
Good on Paul!

Re: OT: Beatles - Abbey Road - the album
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 23, 2018 14:45

Regarding Abbey Road (with the exception of his first solo album, All Things Must Pass), George's finest moment as a Beatle. IMHO, that album would not have been anywhere near the classic that it is without Something and Here Comes the Sun.

Date: June 23, 2018 20:33

MisterDDDD
grzegorz67

When I visited there, I met several locals who told stories of how he returns annually to personally hand out diplomas at the high school he attended. Also legendary New Years Eve parties he still hosts in a nearby home he still owns.
Good on Paul!

I can easily imagine him doing that - good guy. I believe Mick makes the odd secret visit back to his old school, Dartford Grammar and he’s supported them financially before now.

Date: June 23, 2018 20:35

Manofwealthandtaste

Mick's amazing but it wouldn't be the same. Paul has this weird kind of grandma like energy about him. Mick obviously has energy for an old man, but it seems more standoffish. He would be good, but he wouldn't be Paul, who seems to relish getting this "man of the people" image he exerts here. And it works for him and I don't think its fake. But I personally don't think Mick could top it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 23, 2018 21:07

RollingFreak
ThePaleRider

I have only seen overwhelmingly positive reviews from people here in the states. Literally a number of places saying people were in tears watching.

Same here, and I can relate to that.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 23, 2018 21:31

beatles were a fairly decent POP group.

Stones way better plus they be ROCK n ROLL

Date: June 23, 2018 22:15

RollingFreak
Manofwealthandtaste

Mick's amazing but it wouldn't be the same. Paul has this weird kind of grandma like energy about him. Mick obviously has energy for an old man, but it seems more standoffish. He would be good, but he wouldn't be Paul, who seems to relish getting this "man of the people" image he exerts here. And it works for him and I don't think its fake. But I personally don't think Mick could top it.
I think he would. Mick was great on saturday night live.

But this paul carpool thing was fantastic. Loved every second.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 23, 2018 22:45

Great point about Mick on SNL. The last time was f-ing epic! The others were great too. Maybe he just can't pull the heart strings like Paul? Anyhow, they're both great at what they do.

Date: June 24, 2018 00:21

frankotero
Great point about Mick on SNL. The last time was f-ing epic! The others were great too. Maybe he just can't pull the heart strings like Paul? Anyhow, they're both great at what they do.

Exactly this. I think it’s brilliant that we’ve got them both to enjoy, if we want to. Many people are fans of both the Stones and the Beatles and those who are not need to get over it and not bore us by repeatedly telling us so on this thread.

It’s like not liking a particular type of food, repeatedly ordering it and repeatedly complaining about it. Bonkers!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 24, 2018 00:37

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2018 00:54

ROCKMAN

Date: June 25, 2018 01:31

HERALD SUN -- 24 June 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 25, 2018 05:51

For what it's worth, this James Corden guy is a very nice and funny imo, and can't understand why anyone would have anything against him. I went to a taping of his Late Late show a couple of years ago (the Charlatans (UK) were musical guests), and it was a very fun and memorable expereince - I even made it on the tv as an audience member when it aired! While I watch when I can, the fact that it airs quite late past my bedtime at 12:30 AM ha, I don't get to see it as often as I would like. I predict he will eventually be given an 11:30 pm spot as he'd give the rest of them a run for their money - especially dorky Jimmy Fallon.

Date: June 25, 2018 06:50

Hairball
For what it's worth, this James Corden guy is a very nice and funny imo, and can't understand why anyone would have anything against him. I went to a taping of his Late Late show a couple of years ago (the Charlatans (UK) were musical guests), and it was a very fun and memorable expereince - I even made it on the tv as an audience member when it aired! While I watch when I can, the fact that it airs quite late past my bedtime at 12:30 AM ha, I don't get to see it as often as I would like. I predict he will eventually be given an 11:30 pm spot as he'd give the rest of them a run for their money - especially dorky Jimmy Fallon.

Strange. Two friends to whom I (separately) sent the link to the feature responded that they dislike Corden immensely (but that the clip was great anyway). I have no views as I've rarely seen anything he has done.

The clip is up on YouTube where (about 4 hours ago) it had had 15M views, on top of the then 65M views on Facebook.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 25, 2018 07:09

CaptainCorella
Hairball

Strange. Two friends to whom I (separately) sent the link to the feature responded that they dislike Corden immensely (but that the clip was great anyway). I have no views as I've rarely seen anything he has done.

The clip is up on YouTube where (about 4 hours ago) it had had 15M views, on top of the then 65M views on Facebook.

I don't know where your friends live, but as PaleRider posted above from the Daily Mail (a UK rag) "Hundreds of people posting there hate Corden..."...so maybe it's a UK thing?
As far as I know, here in the States he's immensely popular even hosting the Grammy's the last two years. He's a pudgy funny British guy - what's not to like?

Date: June 25, 2018 08:34

Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball

I don't know where your friends live, but as PaleRider posted above from the Daily Mail (a UK rag) "Hundreds of people posting there hate Corden..."...so maybe it's a UK thing?
As far as I know, here in the States he's immensely popular even hosting the Grammy's the last two years. He's a pudgy funny British guy - what's not to like?

Even more intriguing, they are both in the UK.

But to get this thread back to Paul....

How much of the reaction of people shown was real and how much was staged?

In my view the lady in the Barbers shop was real, as were the ladies in the Florist. The lady in 20 Forthlin Road knew he was coming, so that does not count.

In the pub. The lady behind the bar obviously knew what was going on, but did the lady who 'pressed' the Juke Box (good look at her face when she moves away) know?

But most importantly did the folk sitting, drinking, superficially thinking, know what was afoot? I'm certain they didn't (but may have known a band was setting up), but one of my friends (above) reckons it was staged.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 25, 2018 15:01

I'm a cynic so I assume most or all of it was staged. The barber photo happens to be in the shop that they walk into? I mean I guess cause its Penny Lane but still...

I like to think some of it is genuine. The bar scene is weird. What I've heard is the crowd in there at the moment were told a world famous musician would be there but they didn't know who. I don't know how reliable that story is. The only way I can find it believable is there were clearly cameras there and Corden is there, so they have to know something's up. Maybe they didn't know a band would be there and just thought it was a segment for his show? Hard to tell. You'll go mad trying to figure it all out.

Date: June 25, 2018 15:27

RollingFreak
I'm a cynic so I assume most or all of it was staged. The barber photo happens to be in the shop that they walk into? I mean I guess cause its Penny Lane but still...

That really is something that's rolled gold certain to have been genuine. The Barbers Shop at the Penny Lane roundabout is guaranteed to have Beatles photos in it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 26, 2018 14:04

Abbey Road was released while "In The Getto" by Elvis and "Honky Tonk Women" by The Stones were in the charts. The heavy thing was brand new, so we got "I Want You (She`s So Heavy)". I have difficulties with the heavy guitar part. On and on..., -sic. It`s tiresome. "Octopus Garden" is banal. "Oh! Darling" is tiresome and the screaming annoying. "Maxwell`s Silver Hammer" is just passing the needle-eye. The rest is great.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:22

"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" sounds like John's attempt to imitate Santana and other jam bands that were around at the time. "Oh, Darling" sounds like Paul's take on Sha Na Na and the '50s nostalgia that was starting to creep in around the late '60s. "Octopus's Garden" seems like Ringo's attempt to have a follow-up to the cartoon version of "Yellow Submarine." So, yeah, it is an example of the Beatles being influenced rather than being influencers.

Date: June 26, 2018 21:32

marianna
"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" sounds like John's attempt to imitate Santana and other jam bands that were around at the time.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't necessarily call it an "imitation" but rather was inspired by those jam bands.
And I always viewed the extended jam as a precursor to the Stones' Can't You Hear Me Knockin' which many have said was inspired by Santana and other jam bands.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Recorded February– August 1969
CYHMK - Recorded March–May 1970

Date: June 28, 2018 08:48

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 2, 2018 11:06

Hairball

It's very much a thing in UK to hate/dislike/knock down those that have done well.

People tend to love things when they are on their way to success, but have an odd reaction when they actually achieve it.

Massive generalisation, but it is a recurring thing, especially in the press.

Date: July 2, 2018 19:11

His Majesty
Hairball

It's very much a thing in UK to hate/dislike/knock down those that have done well.

People tend to love things when they are on their way to success, but have an odd reaction when they actually achieve it.

Massive generalisation, but it is a recurring thing, especially in the press.

Haha yes having lived there I fully understand that, but thought maybe there was something more specific for the blanket hatred for Corden in the UK.
Like maybe he voiced some controversial political opinion, or renunciated his citizenship, and/or maybe he's considered a traitor for taking his talents to the US while abandoning the mother country haha.
Whatever the case, he's always seemed kind of harmless and likeable, but I suppose not everyone's cup of tea.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 2, 2018 21:23

[www.mirror.co.uk]

While we're on the subject of Carpool Karaoke - I don't think they'd ever do it, do you?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home