Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126...LastNext
Current Page: 121 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 20, 2018 20:23

whoops, just posted in the Abbey Road thread. I like these 2 songs on first listen.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 21, 2018 06:51

Here comes the White Album reissue:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 21, 2018 17:05

Lots of stones fans from Liverpool made the trip over to Manchester to catch the show..
Snapped a quick pic of these lads on their way to the show winking smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 21, 2018 18:51

New album 'Egypt Station' arriving 7th September featuring singles ‘I Don’t Know’ and ‘Come On To Me'. Pre-order HERE: [PaulMcCartney.lnk.to] Full details HERE: [www.paulmccartney.com] … #EgyptStation

[twitter.com]

OT: Beatles - Abbey Road - the album
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 17, 2018 15:15

What on earth made people go "mann av huse" to buy this album? There was one in almost every home at the time, and people who had no Beatles albums, at least had this one. -But was it PLAYED in every home...? Who knows. I was thirteen at the time, and saw it at a friend, but it wasn`t his, but his mother`s! First there are two songs full of meaning and expression, but then we get two very formulaic songs in an almost fifties revival style. "If any single recording shows why The Beatles broke up, it is "Maxwell`s Silver Hammer", to quote Ian MacDonald. "Octopus Garden glides by without drawing attention to itself - a poor man`s Yellow Submarine". -And "I Want You": "-what The Band`s craftmanslike Robbie Robertson dismissed in a contemporary Rolling Stone interview as "noisy shit";"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-17 15:24 by bv.

Re: OT: Beatles - Abbey Road - the album
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 17, 2018 15:27

Abbey Road is a great album. I played it hundreds of times. It is a monument. If you don't like it then no worries, some people don't like "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", others don't like ice cream, taste is different.

The same goes for "Let It Be", also a great album. In fact everything from The Beatles from Revolver and on is on my favorites list.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 17, 2018 15:30

It's also very well recorded and engineered.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: June 17, 2018 16:24

It has ·Something" and "Here comes the sun" you dont need more.

Bye
Fernando

Date: June 17, 2018 16:34

BV -no Rubber Soul? Lot of fans consider it the best album. Though I understand the more serious approach in later records. Very interesting/admirable about their progression from start to finish.

Date: June 17, 2018 17:05

Let It Be is a weak album, imo, but Abbey Road is masterclass.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 17, 2018 17:06

Abbey Road is brilliant on many levels. It is an album that is in no way formulaic, in no way predictable, in no way a "poor man's" anything. Great compositions, great singing... But I think the most important thing is: It sounds good. It sounds REALLY good.

Date: June 17, 2018 17:41

You all know Abbey Road was actually recorded after Let It Be? A common mistake but kind of odd considering it's The Beatles. Abbey Road is smoking hot but unfortunately a band (Paul and John) playing what they love, one rockin' the other musical. A perfect document of humanity in all it's grandeur. That's the way I see it. By the way I love John most. But will never discount Paul and his importance to Rock and Roll.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 17, 2018 18:03

frankotero
You all know Abbey Road was actually recorded after Let It Be? A common mistake but kind of odd considering it's The Beatles. Abbey Road is smoking hot but unfortunately a band (Paul and John) playing what they love, one rockin' the other musical. A perfect document of humanity in all it's grandeur. That's the way I see it. By the way I love John most. But will never discount Paul and his importance to Rock and Roll.

Never discount Paul; which one was "rockin" though ? Oh Darling was written by the perceived melodic man.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 17, 2018 18:37

I think it's a little bit over-rated. That Side 2 suite is indeed impressive, but I think that's largely the result of some brilliant editing on the part of producer George Martin. It would be interesting to hear the complete and unedited recordings of all of those little snippets that were so artfully stitched together to form the Beatles last grand hurrah.

Date: June 17, 2018 19:52

Yes, good point about studio wizardry. For them it worked, they weren't touring anymore and just wanted to push boundaries. Compare AC/DC for instance, a straight forward Rock and Roll band. It's about personal taste in my opinion. I like both but The Beatles will always be on top.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 17, 2018 19:56

It's the Beatles' masterpiece, their tour de force. That said, it's not my personal favorite Beatles record. That would be the White Album.

Date: June 17, 2018 20:17

The White Album -hopefully we will see a nice box set this year as the rumors have stated. I'm for it.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: June 17, 2018 20:23

Follow the bouncing ball

Date: June 17, 2018 20:30

tatters
I think it's a little bit over-rated. That Side 2 suite is indeed impressive, but I think that's largely the result of some brilliant editing on the part of producer George Martin. It would be interesting to hear the complete and unedited recordings of all of those little snippets that were so artfully stitched together to form the Beatles last grand hurrah.
I don't think its overrated (Sgt. Pepper's is and this album's way better) but I echo the thoughts on Side 2. Aluding to what Frankotero was saying, the Beatles will be topped because of the studio wizardry that is that second side. Its not my favorite record side ever, but its endlessly fascinating and impressive and if you truly get in that mood, thinking about how they did that and all the layers and harmonies and shit is just insane. That can't be understated. Its arguably their best record. Its not my favorite but top to bottom I'd argue its probably their best.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2018 20:46

Abbey Road is a masterpiece, as are several of their albums -Here Comes the Sun and the rest of side two, not to mention Something and I Want You from side one...all great.

Never easy to pick a favorite so won't even try, but Revolver and the White album always hover at the top.
And then there's Rubber Soul...and Sgt. Peppers...and on and on...

If forced to choose a single desert island disc though, probably the White album...Dear Prudence and Yer Blues alone are enough to put that album near the top.
And Glass Onion, I'm So Tired, I Will, and George's sublime Long, Long, Long......an amazing album.

*Special mention to the comp. Yesterday and Today which as a toddler in '66 I have vivid memories of listening to it endlessly while building toy models down in our basement.

________________________________________________________________________________

*Yesterday and Today via wiki:

Yesterday and Today is a studio album by the Beatles, their ninth album released on Capitol Records and twelfth overall American release. It was originally issued only in the United States and Canada.
Both Tim Riley and American Songwriter journalist Jim Beviglia classified Yesterday and Today as a compilation album,[8] and MusicRadar said it was one in a series of "hit-filled compilation albums" that the American Capitol label "sliced and diced" from the Beatles' original British albums.

Yesterday and Today included tracks from the Beatles' two most recent British LPs which had not yet been included on American albums, plus three from their upcoming LP in the United Kingdom, plus two songs which were back-to-back on a single:

- from the UK LP Help!, the tracks "Act Naturally" and "Yesterday" (earlier issued by Capitol as a single)
- from the UK LP Rubber Soul, the tracks "Nowhere Man" and "What Goes On" (also earlier issued by Capitol as a single), plus "Drive My Car" and "If I Needed Someone."[10]
- both sides of the double A-side single "Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out"
- from the not-yet-released UK LP Revolver, the tracks "I'm Only Sleeping", "Doctor Robert", and "And Your Bird Can Sing," issued here in duophonic mixes (see below).[11] (These three tracks appeared in true stereo on tape releases and later vinyl releases. The true stereo mixes of "I'm Only Sleeping," "Doctor Robert," and "And Your Bird Can Sing" that appear on Yesterday and Today are different from the ones used for the subsequent release of Revolver in the UK,[12][unreliable source?] and currently remain unreleased on compact disc.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-17 21:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 17, 2018 20:53

After the dispirited debacle of the Get Back sessions in January, Abbey Road was done with the intent of making a record the way they used to.

Outtakes from these sessions, where songs were in their earlier stages, are available here: [www.youtube.com]

Track Listing:
01. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Partial Take 10) [0:00]
02. Oh! Darling (Unknown Take) [0:31]
03. Octopus's Garden (Unknown Takes) [1:27]
04. You Never Give Me Your Money (Unknown Take) [2:12]
05. Her Majesty (Unknown Take) [3:09]
06. Golden Slumbers (Unknown Take) [3:21]
07. Here Comes The Sun (Take 1) [3:44]
08. Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Take 8) [4:42]
09. Something (Unknown Takes) [5:29]
10. Something (Unknown Take) [6:33]
11. Come Together (Take 3) [6:48]
12. Come Together (Unknown Take) [7:01]
13. Come Together (Unknown Take) [7:32]
14. Sun King (Unknown Take) [7:38]
15. Polythene Pam (Unknown Take) [8:13]
16. Polythene Pam (Unknown Take) [8:38]
17. Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Unknown Take) [8:49]
18. Because (Unknown Take) [10:31]

Date: June 17, 2018 20:58

I know its been mentioned, but its also so incredible they pulled this album out of their ass after the failure that was the Let It Be sessions (even though I like the resulting record). Nothing short of magnificent that they ended up putting everything aside to truly come together one last time.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 18, 2018 10:06

One of the great lps of all time.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 18, 2018 10:32

Is there a forum similar to IORR in relation to The Beatles?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 18, 2018 11:15

I think it's slightly overrated, like Revolver because although it's probably, like Revolver, one of their best albums, it also contains silliness and nonsense. For me, Abbey Road is especially worthwhile for Come Together, Oh Darling, I Want You and the two George Harrison songs. But, indeed, Octupus Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer are just stupid and annoying. Just as Yellow Submarine and Taxman on Revolver are unnecessary nonsense, and Here, There and Everywhere and Tomorrow Never Knows are purely brilliant.

Date: June 18, 2018 12:17

Elmo
Is there a forum similar to IORR in relation to The Beatles?

I wish there was. Actually I don't know any other band that has a great forum like this one. By that I mean constant news and posts.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 18, 2018 13:10

Its a great album. That said their best work was behind them at that point. As Harrison said in Anthology: It’s like everything is going in a circle and they’d gone up and up and up, until it started slightly going down. And then they quit. I wouldn’t want to be without Abbey Road or LIB though.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 18, 2018 15:10

JumpingKentFlash
Its a great album. That said their best work was behind them at that point. As Harrison said in Anthology: It’s like everything is going in a circle and they’d gone up and up and up, until it started slightly going down. And then they quit. I wouldn’t want to be without Abbey Road or LIB though.

Well and its also amazing, although I guess this depends on everyone's own personal opinions, that they never made an album as good as a Beatles one after they broke up. Now listen, I love John Lennon's solo albums, I harbor an irrational love for Paul's Ram that I just adore, but there was just so much more "meh" material as opposed to knocking it out of the park every time with the Beatles. Was it that they didn't have each other to work off of and make things better? Did they just burn out. Paul is great but I think the dropoff after the Beatles is truly staggering. I like that first solo album, but its essentially a collection of demos... and then there's Maybe I'm Amazed which is one of the greatest songs ever. It seemed like there was this never ending well with the Beatles that was then depleted once they went solo. Although I'm not sure if thats just cause it wasn't called "The Beatles" so everyone looked at it harsher. Lennon's solo discography I thought was pretty consistent, but still overall I think its amazing that they went solo and a LOT of that creativity just was gone.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 18, 2018 15:40

I Want You = noisy shit?

Not for me - I love the song and could listen to it's lenghthy coda forever and a day.

N

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 18, 2018 15:54

You can say that you don't like something but why call it shit?...Abbey Road is a fantastic album that you don't like.Don't need to go further.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126...LastNext
Current Page: 121 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home