Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 27, 2018 03:25

sundevil
seeing paul this weekend made me realize something. while everyone knows john was shot and killed in 1980, gun murders are so common in the united states that even a beatle was shot and killed. the most important beatle, too.

. . . in your humble opinion. How do you determine/define what is "most important"?

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 27, 2018 03:46

it's his group. how about putting some effort into not being a pedantic wankstain instead.

pedantic: overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 27, 2018 05:36

RollingFreak
potus43
Think his bodyguards ever have guns? I do

Your bodyguards have guns? Damn, you popular.

Read again.

Date: March 27, 2018 05:36

ash
potus43

I don't know.
Are you basing your "think" on any specific evidence relating to Sir Fab and his security arrangements or just making an assumption ?
I "think" his security could probably protect Paul and kick your ass within seconds without resorting to gun violence. That would be acceptable to me and still work with his T-shirt.

What are they going to do if someone has a gun?

Date: March 27, 2018 05:40

sundevil
seeing paul this weekend made me realize something. while everyone knows john was shot and killed in 1980, gun murders are so common in the united states that even a beatle was shot and killed. the most important beatle, too.

#Vivakids! i'm loving these kids. they are hitting all the right notes and making all the right moves and they are gonna succeed and not get sidelined because they are all heart.

and i'm gonna be right there with them when they f*ck over every corrupt failure of an adult who has let this kind of evil sh*t go on for too long.

I have not seen what exactly they are calling for? What is it

I all see so far is the typical slogans and feel good BS that liberals are so good at. Don't liberals ever get tired of virtue signaling? Specifics or shut up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-27 05:50 by stanlove.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 27, 2018 05:48

Why don't we do it in the road and NOT on this venerable 118 page thread before it gets shut down?

Back to Paul: Would "Little Lamb Dragonfly" be a classic if it had different (that is, minus the lamb and the dragonfly parts) lyrics?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 27, 2018 06:19

stanlove
RollingFreak
potus43

Read again.

I read it right. Get it, RIGHT?!

Date: March 27, 2018 06:24

MisterDDDD
Paul looking good in Manhattan this morning.
Good on him.

Is McCartney an American? I really get tired of Euros getting involved in American internal politics. Non of their business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-27 06:26 by stanlove.

Date: March 27, 2018 06:29

RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
potus43

Read again.

No you didn't and i can't believe you think you did. You make no sense. The post did not say he the poster had bodyguards, he said he thinks McCartney's bodyguards have guns. FFS. Why would this have to be explained to you?

Date: March 27, 2018 06:30

stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
potus43

Read again.

No you didn't and i can't believe you think you did. You make no sense. The post did not say he the poster had bodyguards, he said he thinks McCartney's bodyguards have guns. FFS. Why would this have to be explained to you?
Huh? You got your mind on my mind and my money on your mind man. Just ease it back and take a hit. Why does it matter if McCartney is an American? That sounds a wee bit like Trump talk to me... ho hum.

Date: March 27, 2018 06:31

RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
potus43

Read again.

Huh? You got your mind on my mind and my money on your mind man. Just ease it back and take a hit. Why does it matter if McCartney is an American? That sounds a wee bit like Trump talk to me... ho hum.

It maters because it's an American issue. Now you can't grasp that?

I also don't think Americans should go over to Scotland and protest the conviction the other day of the guy who posted a youtube video that some found offensive. As ridiculous as that was it is their business.

Not sure what Trump has to do with it. It seems like you were looking for a reason to throw that in there. I bet you do that alot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-27 06:34 by stanlove.

Date: March 27, 2018 06:45

stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
potus43

Read again.

I also don't think Americans should go over to Scotland and protest the conviction the other day of the guy who posted a youtube video that some found offensive. As ridiculous as that was it is their business.

Not sure what Trump has to do with it. It seems like you were looking for a reason to throw that in there. I bet you do that alot.

Beatles For Sale is such an underrated record.

Date: March 27, 2018 06:46

RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove
RollingFreak
potus43

Read again.

Beatles For Sale is such an underrated record.

There is no such thing as underrated. What you are really saying is you like it better then other people. Can't remember what is on it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2018 06:50

loog droog
Why don't we do it in the road and NOT on this venerable 118 page thread before it gets shut down?

Back to Paul: Would "Little Lamb Dragonfly" be a classic if it had different (that is, minus the lamb and the dragonfly parts) lyrics?

thumbs up

I bought the Red Rose Speedway album when it was released when I was nine years old, and remember the nudie chick pics in the centerfold when you opened the album!
As a nine year old listener, there were some great tunes on that album - Big Barn Bed, Get on the Right Thing, and of course My Love!!
My first real crush in 4th grade with a very cute gal...Lauren was her name, and My Love was our song! smiling smiley
Lots of memories from that album, and I still enjoy listening to it to this day occasionally...even Little Lamb Dragonfly! thumbs up

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 27, 2018 07:17

Having had very detailed professional interraction with Paul's people in 1988..

Does Paul have bodyguards? In my experience at least one on duty.

Were they armed? It was in the UK, so as unlikely as you can imagine. (Sorry, no pun intended).

As for being out in a crowd in NYC at the weekend.... slightly surprised to see him there as a small number of days before he was photographed on a train in the UK travelling alone in second class. But I would also be more than slightly surprised if there were not a couple of blokes nearby keeping an eye on him.

Finally.. I forgot my vow to ignore the postings from Potus43 who is a naughty naughty troll. Sorry about that.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 27, 2018 07:31

sundevil
it's his group. how about putting some effort into not being a pedantic wankstain instead.

pedantic: overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points

Believe it or not, I actually was interested in hearing why you thought John was the most important Beatle. It was an interesting comment. But . . . thanks for running to your pocket dictionary and looking up the definition of pedantic. Maybe you should look up the definition of the "art of conversation".

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 27, 2018 18:20

Rockman

Herald Sun -- 22 March 2018

Love it. The best of us are "the man with the plan". Rockman is the man with the plan and the scan!

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 28, 2018 15:18

potus43
MisterDDDD
Good on him.

What a joke

Why? Because he stood up for a worthy cause? Of course it's much easier to be keyboard warrior like Potus43!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 3, 2018 16:42

Pete Best interview: ‘Let’s have it out – just me, Paul McCartney and a bottle of Scotch’

Rockin’ the Casbah: Pete Best, at the Casbah Club in Liverpool CREDIT: PAUL COOPER

By James Hall

As he stars in a new play about The Beatles, sacked drummer Pete Best tells James Hall there is still unfinished business between him and Paul McCartney

Pete Best leads me into a cupboard under the stairs of his family’s former home in the West Derby suburb of Liverpool. We descend a narrow staircase and arrive at a warren of dark vaults. Beatles posters cover the walls. In one corner, the word “John” is crudely carved into the wooden panelling. A stretch of ceiling is painted in multicoloured strips, the handiwork of a teenage Paul McCartney.

This is the Casbah Coffee Club, a club opened by Best’s mother, Mo, in 1959. And before the Cavern, the Casbah was The Beatles’ home. “We ran riot here,” says Best of that period, when queues would form down the road. “The foresight my mum had for the Liverpool music scene was incredible.” As the one-time Beatles drummer, Best performed with the band 76 times at the Casbah. However, in August 1962 – just weeks before Love Me Do kick-started the band’s journey to megastardom – McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison sent manager Brian Epstein to tell Best they wanted to replace him with Ringo Starr. Not for nothing is the 76-year-old grandfather dubbed the unluckiest man in music.

Best joined another group, but events obviously affected him. He attempted suicide in the mid-Sixties and gave up showbusiness in 1968, going on to work in a bakery and then at an employment exchange as a civil servant. He married, had children and, in the late Eighties, started playing again – Merseybeat songs, original material and even the occasional Beatles number – as the leader of The Pete Best Band.

He’s keeping his Beatles connection alive in other ways, too. Later this month, he will appear as himself in Lennon’s Banjo, a play at Liverpool’s Epstein Theatre, about the search for the long-lost instrument on which Lennon learned to play. Best says it’s based on fact and full of pathos and “Scouse humour”.

But it’s clear that some rawness from that fateful day in 1962 still lingers. He doesn’t know who made the decision, and it still rankles Best that the band members didn’t sack him themselves, face-to-face.

“I’m not saying I’d change the outcome, but at least give me the decency of being there and [letting me] confront them,” he says. After the firing, Lennon admitted they’d been cowards. While Best stops short of repeating the accusation, he says they clearly felt guilty afterwards.

Does he think McCartney owes him an apology? “Ask him.” Would he like one? Best, who is dressed in a very un-rock’n’roll uniform of baggy blue jeans, white trainers and a hoodie, says he’d like to meet him – he hasn’t spoken to McCartney (or Starr) since his sacking.

“Paul has always hinted that he’d like to meet up. The door’s always been wide open. I’m not the guilty person, you know? Whether he wants to do it on a public basis or a private one, it’s his call.”

I wonder what Best would say to him? His answer is wonderfully conciliatory: “We’re senior statesmen now. How many years we’ve got left on the planet is really predictable. Let’s talk about things in general. Stick a bottle of Scotch on the table and let’s have a good old bash.”

Best was born in Madras, India, in 1941, returning to England with his family in 1945. Back in Liverpool, his father, Johnny, ran the family boxing promotion business while Mo, the free-spirited daughter of an Irish major in the Bengal Lancers, launched her club. The Quarrymen, an early incarnation of The Beatles, played the opening night. Best says Mo would “mesmerise” the young band with tales of India around the kitchen table, perhaps seeding their later fixation. But after a fallout over money, the band disappeared to Scotland. Meanwhile, Best’s own band, The Blackjacks, took off. When The Silver Beatles, as they’d become, returned and were offered a residency in Hamburg (with additional member Stuart Sutcliffe), they needed a drummer. Best was recruited. In August 1960 they went to Germany.

Everything about Hamburg was “a culture shock”, Best says, from the journey over ­– 10 people were crammed into an Austin J2 van, including Lord Woodbine, a renowned Liverpudlian eccentric – to playing for seven hours a night, to the St Pauli red light district where they were based. They were giddy teenagers surrounded by neon lights, clubs and a 24-hour city. “We’d never seen anything like it,” Best recalls.

Digs were backstage in a fleapit cinema, the Bambi Kino. “John, George and Stu were the first in, so they got ‘the palatial suite’ with a camp bed and sofa. Paul and I looked at [promoter] Bruno Koschmider and said ‘Where are we staying?’.” Koschmider pointed towards two concrete alcoves. “No lights, no doors, they looked like converted coal bunkers with beds. There was a hole knocked out in the middle of the wall so that Paul and I could talk to each other.”

They improved hugely as a band, stretching out rhythm and blues standards for 30 minutes. Other band members took slimming pills called Preludin, or “Prellies”, to stay awake during their mammoth sets, but not Best. Living in close quarters, life was one long teenage escapade. Best recalls how he, Lennon and McCartney were in the same bedroom as Harrison the night he lost his virginity. “At the end, we all stood up and applauded.”

Back in England in 1962, record labels circled. Decca famously turned the Beatles down. It was when the band recorded for EMI that Best was sacked. “Unbeknownst to me, they’d approached Ringo,” he says. After a Cavern gig one night in August, Epstein asked to see Best the following morning. Best expected a normal business meeting, but Epstein was jittery. “He said, ‘Pete, I don’t know how to tell you this. The boys want you out’ – those were the words – ‘and it’s already been arranged.’ That was another key word. Arranged. Ringo joined the band on Saturday.

“It was a closed shop. I asked why and he said, ‘Because they think he’s a better drummer’. The bomb was dropped.”

Conspiracy theories abound about why he was sacked: Paul was jealous of his looks, Best kept his Tony Curtis quiff while the others got “Beatles haircuts”, he was aloof in Hamburg, they did drugs and he didn’t.

Although he thinks about what could have been, Best says he wouldn’t change his life for “all the tea in China”. He’s glad he’s not a “showbusiness commodity”. Besides, as the fifth Beatle he will always have his own place in rock’n’roll history. “Yes, they are the most famous musicians in the world. And regardless of what happened, I played a key part in that.”

Lennon’s Banjo runs at the Epstein Theatre, Liverpool, from April 24 to May 5. Go to epsteinliverpool.co.uk for details of Best’s appearances

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 3, 2018 23:50

stanlove
MisterDDDD
Good on him.

Is McCartney an American? I really get tired of Euros getting involved in American internal politics. Non of their business.

could not agree more

Date: April 3, 2018 23:52

CaptainCorella
Having had very detailed professional interraction with Paul's people in 1988..

Does Paul have bodyguards? In my experience at least one on duty.

Were they armed? It was in the UK, so as unlikely as you can imagine. (Sorry, no pun intended).

As for being out in a crowd in NYC at the weekend.... slightly surprised to see him there as a small number of days before he was photographed on a train in the UK travelling alone in second class. But I would also be more than slightly surprised if there were not a couple of blokes nearby keeping an eye on him.

Finally.. I forgot my vow to ignore the postings from Potus43 who is a naughty naughty troll. Sorry about that.

YOU are the troll.

Date: April 3, 2018 23:53

KevinLocksPerm
potus43
MisterDDDD
Good on him.

What a joke

Why? Because he stood up for a worthy cause? Of course it's much easier to be keyboard warrior like Potus43!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 3, 2018 23:53

give peace a chance

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:04

potus43
KevinLocksPerm
potus43
MisterDDDD
Good on him.

What a joke

BLAH BLAH BLAH

What a shining wit as the Reverend Spooner might have said.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:09

KevinLocksPerm
potus43
MisterDDDD
Good on him.

What a joke

He should demonstrate in London as well.
London has become more violeng than New York according to this years statstics.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:44

At least we see progress in the ban of gun....and that's what counts............

Date: April 4, 2018 00:58

'Yellow Submarine’ to Arrive in Theaters for Its 50th Anniversary

Andrew R. Chow April 3, 2018

Fifty years ago, colorful, mustachioed cartoon versions of the Beatles traipsed across the surreal world of Pepperland to defeat the Blue Meanies in the film “Yellow Submarine.” The movie will return to theaters across the United States, Britain and Ireland this summer to celebrate its anniversary.

The movie’s psychedelic landscapes have been restored in 4k digital resolution; the animation was cleaned up by hand, frame by frame, rather than through automated digital software. The audio, which features Beatles songs like “A Day in the Life” and “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” was remixed in 5.1 stereo sound at Abbey Road Studios, where the Beatles recorded most of their work.

The film was directed by the animation producer George Dunning and follows the band on a winding trek through locations real (Liverpool) and absurd (the Sea of Holes). While the Fab Four were voiced by impersonators in the film, they appear briefly in person in the last scene.

The film was memorably parodied in “Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.”

Specific movie locations have yet to be announced. Tickets will go on sale on April 17 at [www.yellowsubmarine.film]

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 4, 2018 02:16

By coincidence, I'm just watching this for the first time in ages and noticed this.

Never spotted it before!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 4, 2018 02:24

Deltics
By coincidence, I'm just watching this for the first time in ages and noticed this.

Never spotted it before!

Good catch! grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 4, 2018 03:54

Some interesting comments amidst the strange, click on link if you want it all:

All You Need Is Plugs: Ringo Starr and the Improbable Hairlines of Our Heroes
The Newest Knight of Beatledom is as famed for his locks (or lack thereof) as his music.

Music By Tim Sommer

On March 20th, Ringo Starr placed his right knee on a wine-scarlet cushion, knelt before Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, and was proclaimed a Knight Bachelor.

Despite the fact that the Beatles’ legacy is coated with the filthy dung-dust of musical colonialism (as I detailed in multiple pieces last month), Ringo’s Knighthood is much deserved. Really. Mind you, this is not necessarily because of Ringo’s actual playing: Although the fellow has a certain skill and, oh, élan, Ringo is also largely responsible for introducing American rock drummers to the absolutely hideous tic of keeping the four-beat on the crash cymbal.

This dissonant rhythmic spasm was almost entirely unheard of in rock drumming before him, and due to the Beatles ubiquity (and the peculiar notion that anything the most popular group of all time did must be a “good” thing), it became a standard aspect of rock drumming. “Riding” the crash cymbal is a hideous, anti-musical habit; all it does is create a wash of sibilant noise that cuts directly into the vocal and guitar frequencies. I am tempted to say that using the crash cymbal a rhythmic instrument (as opposed to employing it primarily for punctuation or emphasis) is the worst thing any human ever did to rock music.

Go listen to the crisp clarity and power of the drums on any Eddie Cochran record, or anything by Huey Piano Smith, Fats Domino, Elvis, or Little Richard; or more pertinently, listen to the clean, powerful swing of Charlie Watts or the hard-nailed hi-hat of Bobby Graham (a legendary English session drummer who plays on most of the early hits by the Kinks, the Dave Clark 5, Them, and the Animals). These drummers power their bands while leaving space for the guitars, bass, and vocals to do their thing. Then listen to Ringo, who sounds like he is swinging a freaking dead fish at the crash cymbal during the verses of many Beatles songs. Seriously, man. So very, very many rock’n’roll recordings and live performances would be infinitely improved if the damn drummer just stopped whacking away at the crash cymbal; and the reason people do this can pretty much be traced back to ol’ Ringo.

But I still think he deserves the Knighthood, I really do, because he was in the freaking Beatles. We lived in the shadow of the Beatles cultural Everest; they are literally the gateway drug to the life-long high of electric pop music. No matter what poo I may fling at them, I honor, love and respect all that they have inspired in me and in the world. There are a dozen or more bands whose work I treasure more than the music of the Beatles — the Beach Boys and Wire, to name just two — but I know, truly, that it all began with the Beatles; they were my first musical nightlight, the frame on which I first hung all my pop-rock dreams, they are the door to the ecstatic electric heaven.

And I utterly adore Ringo’s toupee.

See, Ringo’s got a very respectable elderly rock star hairpiece. Although the color is highly improbable (it is the kind of blackness one sees when you stare at the hidden sun during a total eclipse), it is really a solid and tasteful piece of work: It even creates the illusion of hair loss (this is otherwise known as Le Sting). By the way, I do entertain the idea that it may not be a true toupee; it might just be a wee bit of strategic filling in.

Contrast that with Sir Paul McCartney’s increasingly comical mop-piece, which looks like something he bought at a tag sale at Liza Minnelli’s house. It seems that every six months he makes it more ridiculous, and I swear that it sometimes resembles something you’d see on a lusty old man in a bit on The Benny Hill Show. It’s almost like Paul is challenging us to mock him.

See, Ringo’s got a very respectable elderly rock star hairpiece. Although the color is highly improbable (it is the kind of blackness one sees when you stare at the hidden sun during a total eclipse), it is really a solid and tasteful piece of work: It even creates the illusion of hair loss (this is otherwise known as Le Sting). By the way, I do entertain the idea that it may not be a true toupee; it might just be a wee bit of strategic filling in.

Contrast that with Sir Paul McCartney’s increasingly comical mop-piece, which looks like something he bought at a tag sale at Liza Minnelli’s house. It seems that every six months he makes it more ridiculous, and I swear that it sometimes resembles something you’d see on a lusty old man in a bit on The Benny Hill Show. It’s almost like Paul is challenging us to mock him.
Sir Paul McCartney (L) and inductee Ringo Starr perform onstage during the 30th Annual Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction. (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

Which brings us to Gene Simmons.

The massive, utterly unlikely wedge that frames Simmons’ ancient and pickled face is an imposing geometric triangular sweep strongly resembling the formal wigs of the Egyptian upper class in the 4th and 5th Dynasties (roughly 2500 years ago). It appears to be made of bitumen, or some other petroleum-based goo, that has hardened under the snows of a long northern winter. Like the elaborate architecture that crowned the pates of Phil Spector, Michael Jackson, or Rip Taylor, it does not presume to be convincing or naturalistic; it is just a crown, yes that is what it is, something designed to mark a tribal leader to be obeyed and feared.

Then again, we must consider the distant chance that Gene Simmons isn’t joking, hasn’t adorned himself with some ancient formalistic symbol of potency and power. Could he possibly intend us to think that’s actual hair?

But back to Ringo.

So, Ringo is a Knight Bachelor now. To add a soupçon of perspective, seemingly lost in the hoopla over Ringo’s Knighthood is the fact that Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees also received the exact same honor, too, at the same time (Robin Gibb, by the way, eschews the hairpiece thing entirely, preferring a traditional comb-over/blowout combination).

And as much as I despise what Ringo did to rock drumming (when you actually hear a drummer who doesn’t continually beat the crash cymbal to death it is like finding Diet Sprite in the Desert), the fact is, he is still a Beatle. And the Beatles were, like, the Beatles. They taught us to read rock’n’roll, they taught us how to listen to rock’n’roll, and with charm and humor and invention they introduced us to all the visual, audio, and cultural tools of rock’n’roll. And very, very few people were Beatles.

o now Sir Ringo joins Sir Paul. Mind you, both still rank below Andrew Lloyd Weber, who was made a Life Peer in 1997 – that means he can be addressed as The Lord Andrew Lloyd Weber or Baron Lloyd-Weber, and the honor actually gave him a seat in the House of Lords (roughly the English equivalent of our Senate).

What’s quite strange – considering Paul McCartney’s prodigious gifts and wealth, and the almost unprecedented impact he has had on Western culture as a composer and pop conceptualist – is that his live performances have become increasingly desperate. Here’s what I mean by that: Paul still works his ass off on stage (even if his voice has gotten rough around the edges), but as the years groan by he has altered the set list to include not only more Beatles songs but songs associated with both John Lennon and George Harrison. Which, to me, is just bizarre. It’s almost as if Sir (NOT Lord or Baron) Paul is almost hysterically intent on not only reminding us that he was in the Beatles but somehow laying claim to the entire Beatles legacy. Paul is a genius and the pinnacle of rock royalty, this desperation does not become him, and, frankly, it confuses me. But it would also, somehow, explain why he has such a ridiculous toupee. “I am a vital and vibrant and active and Ensure drinking Beatle!” his fringy wig — and his set list — seems to say.

Ringo, on the other hand, just does that Ringo thing. His modest, onyx-black partial skullcap says, “I am your Beatle friend. I have nothing to prove. I am happy to share this time with you. Now let’s hear one of those quirky new wave hits from Colin Hay.”

[www.realclearlife.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home