Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 223
Re: OT: Arise Sir Ringo Starr
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 24, 2017 22:47

Cooltoplady
What would Keith say? we all know.....

Didn't Keith and the group get inducted into the R and R Hall of Fame ?
That's one hundred times inferior.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 24, 2017 23:07

Hairball
Congrats to Ringo- one the greatest and most inventive drummers in rock and roll.

Glad to see some acknowledgement of Ringo's brilliance. He was the perfect drummer for the Beatles in the same way that Charlie is for the Stones. Strange to see so many here dismiss Ringo as a minor talent who got lucky just because he wasn't a bombastic in your face drummer given to twenty minute solos while the same people laud praise upon Charlie.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 24, 2017 23:34

stanlove
CaptainCorella
Silver Dagger
Ringo is finally going to be made a Knight of the Realm. Arise Sir Ringo.

[www.mirror.co.uk]
[snip]
Ex-bandmate Lennon was murdered by gunman Mark David Chapman at his New York home in 1980 aged 40. Harrison died aged 58 from lung cancer in 2001.

I'm mildly surprised by this (and the leak) - if it's true - because there's a bit of a "thing" with the Honours that being non-resident tends to count very much against you.

Good on him if he's got his K at last though.

Also, GOOD ON THE MIRROR for calling John's murder what it was. I get really really off-pissed when the events are described along the lines of "John died in NYC in 1980....". Get real! Call it for what it was! It was an murder on the streets of NYC.

Who ever tries to ignore the fact that he was murdered? Sounds like you invented that so you could rant about gun control.

Gosh. When John is referred to many times it's mentioned that he died in NY, not that he was murdered.

The latest time I heard that mentioned from the stage was 20 days ago at Paul McCartney's show in Melbourne! By Paul.

Don't simply accept (or reject) my assertion, spend time in the next few months listening out for mentions of John and see how his death is contextualised, and then let me know how many times you year it correctly described as a murder (or assassination).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2017 23:48

This thread is about Ringo. thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 25, 2017 00:00

rebelrebel
Hairball
Congrats to Ringo- one the greatest and most inventive drummers in rock and roll.

Glad to see some acknowledgement of Ringo's brilliance. He was the perfect drummer for the Beatles in the same way that Charlie is for the Stones. Strange to see so many here dismiss Ringo as a minor talent who got lucky just because he wasn't a bombastic in your face drummer given to twenty minute solos while the same people laud praise upon Charlie.

While some joke about Ringo's luckiness, which isn't true, the awards he gets are basically because he's a Beatle and not because of any particular consistency or talent. Its not like Charlie is getting knighted even though he'd deserve it as much as Ringo. Its no knock to Ringo, he should take the awards he gets and he was a great drummer. But this, getting into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame... come on, its cause he's a Beatle and for nothing else. In that case he's lucky and I adore some of his solo albums.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2017 00:12

rebelrebel
Hairball

It's part of the anti-Beatle establishment around here. winking smiley

While this video is two years old, it speaks volumes.

World's Great Drummers Salute Ringo Starr

Ringo still consistently makes top 10 best rock drummers lists.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 25, 2017 00:24

The Beatles did a lot for England. The Stones and other bands wouldn't have had the same level of worldwide success without the crazy, irrational Beatlemania they somehow unleashed. The success of British culture and fashion during the 1960's owes something to the Beatles, as well.

Ringo's personality, along with the charms of the other members, made them lovable and accessible to the masses. Ringo has toured around the world for the few decades, keeping his and the Beatles' brand on ongoing thing. Yay, Ringo.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: December 25, 2017 00:35

good for Ringo.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 25, 2017 01:00

Ringo 's an all-round good egg; and if he's happy with it, I'm happy for him. And I think he deserves it as much as the next guy.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 25, 2017 02:25

About time. I thought he must have turned it down already. Over fifty years later looking at what they achieved as probably being among the finest commercial artists of the 20th century and as a social phenomenon (in a way that none of the other groups of the time were) it's fully deserved. Certainly more so than those gits who just bang the party in power a bunch of money and get to bend the knee a year or two later in return. Congratulations Sir Ringo.
Giving the Fab4 MBE's was a cynical move at the time but history has proved them deserving of royal/national recognition, more so than a freshly medalled olympian or party donor. I wish John and George were still here today to say "no thanks Ma'am, it's bullshit" but they'd deserve the offer too even if they weren't up for it.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: December 25, 2017 05:47

Wow, Beatles, Beatles, Beatles. How about the numerous hits he had after that? He's a star in his own right. Remember, when the Beatles snagged him, he was the hottest drummer in Liverpool, in one of the most popular bands. And if you don't think he's a great drummer, you don't know much about drums. I bet Charlie would be the first to say that too...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 25, 2017 07:14

Ringo was/is an amazing drummer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 25, 2017 14:56

Call me old fashioned but I do not think drummers should be knighted. And I don't think charities is a reason either. In fact I can see very few reasons why people should be knighted at all.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 25, 2017 16:19

Stoneage
Call me old fashioned but I do not think drummers should be knighted. And I don't think charities is a reason either. In fact I can see very few reasons why people should be knighted at all.

thumbs up

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 26, 2017 16:47

After the Beatles I've never seen Ringo drum without a second drummer alongside him, never understood why especially if he was so good.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2017 03:52

Hairball
NICOS
stanlove
Is this real?

[www.youtube.com]

I just listen to the clip but I think I have a problem with my sound card..........all the time I hear an annoying sound in both ears

Played at a very high volume, that could be used as a military weapon - piercing the eardrums of any enemy within a 10 mile radius.
Not too farfetched as I seem to recall the US military blasting Guns and Roses at the enemy during Desert Storm. Not to harm them physically, but just to annoy the hell out of them.

The rest is history..................
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 28, 2017 12:28

coffeepotman
After the Beatles I've never seen Ringo drum without a second drummer alongside him, never understood why especially if he was so good.
He always needed a little help from his friends...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:32

Confirmed indeed!

Arise Sir Richard Starkey

(Yup, I was wrong).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:38

coffeepotman

I've always said the same thing. I know he's a great drummer, but seriously I NEVER see him drumming on his own in a band setting. Like, never. The only time I can think is there's a video of just him and Dave Stewart but thats all I can think about. I know its not cause he can't drum, but I always joke that way because I can't find anyone thats literally NEVER drumming alone like Ringo post-Beatles.

Date: December 30, 2017 00:50

Sir Ringo humbly revealing some of the "secrets" of his unique style of playing:
Ringo Starr Shows How to play Ticket to Ride, Come Together and Back off Boogaloo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 00:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 30, 2017 02:12

CaptainCorella
Confirmed indeed!

Arise Sir Richard Starkey

(Yup, I was wrong).

Barry Gibb too.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 30, 2017 04:00

“It’s great!
It’s an honour and a pleasure to be considered and acknowledged for my music and my charity work, both of which I love.
Peace and love. Ringo.”

Sir Ringo

"There were flashier drummers in the rock pantheon — Keith Moon and Ginger Baker come to mind — but Starr fit the band’s approach perfectly,
playing with uncanny style and imagination as the band’s music branched out from its early American rock influences.
The drum parts in Ticket to Ride, Rain, and Strawberry Fields Forever are all seen as masterful contributions to timeless songs.
Starr also had a way of mangling words that pleased Lennon, who used Starr’s offhand quips to develop the songs A Hard Day’s Night and Tomorrow Never Knows".

Beatles alternate timeline book
Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: January 6, 2018 03:33

I've only posted on this forum only a couple of times but figured there would be people here interested in reading an alternate timeline of The Beatles in the 1970's. It's a free pdf file. Pass the link along to anyone who may be interested. Enjoy!

Band On The Run

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-06 03:35 by dave9199.

Re: Beatles alternate timeline book
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 6, 2018 08:33

I'm really interested, but honestly a little hesitant to download a pdf from a site or person I don't know...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 6, 2018 13:35

swiss

I'm really interested, but honestly a little hesitant to download a pdf from a site or person I don't know...

Download it from here: WeTransfer .

Then upload it to [www.VirusTotal.com] , go to the Menue-Button (blue circle with 3 vertical white points), choose 'Reanalyze'.

After the '0 / 59'-result you can open the PDF .....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 6, 2018 14:20

From the Book: "Band On The Run: The Beatles in the 1970's - an alternative Timeline" (p. 180) -- "The Green Album" :

A1 - All Things Must Pass (G. Harrison)
A2 - It Don’t Come Easy (R. Starkey)
A3 - Isn’t It A Pity (G. Harrison)
A4 - Maybe I’m Amazed (P. McCartney)
A5 - Instant Karma (J. Lennon)

B1 - Back Off Boogaloo (R. Starkey)
B2 - My Love (P. McCartney)
B3 - Jealous Guy (J. Lennon)
B4 - Living In The Material World (G. Harrison)
B5 - Imagine (J. Lennon)

C1 - Photograph (R. Starkey & G. Harrison)
C2 - Mind Games (J. Lennon)
C3 - Jet (P. McCartney)
C4 - Don't Let Me Wait Too Long (G. Harrison)
C5 - Band On The Run (P. McCartney)

D1 - Goodnight Vienna (R. Starkey & J. Lennon)
D2 - Helen Wheels (P. McCartney)
D3 - So Sad (G. Harrison)
D4 - Whatever Gets You Thru The Night (J. Lennon)
D5 - Junior's Farm (P. McCartney)

(Names = Performers)

Date: January 6, 2018 14:25

swiss

I can understand any hesitation about this. I'm not sure how to calm that but hopefully the option above will help. Maybe if I wrote a bit about the book would help. It started because I always felt The Beatles had one more great album in them. It started as one of those 33 & 1/3 books on that fake album. I started it back in 2009 when the reissues came out. Finished that and it sat until 2014 when I wondered if I could expand the story for two more albums. Then in 2016 I expanded it again to where the story ended for me. There are pictures of the albums in the book and that was the hardest part to do. I wanted them to look as real as possible. I finally finished it in October 2017. I wanted to share it with other people who would enjoy it. It's such a niche thing. The people who would 'get it' are people who really know their story already. Someone who doesn't won't fully understand the book. It's for Beatle nuts only really.

Date: January 6, 2018 18:28

Irix
D1 - Goodnight Vienna (R. Starkey & J. Lennon)

Goodnight Vienna is by Lennon only.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 6, 2018 19:22

The decline in quality of the group's output in 1966/69 and 1971/74 is very marked.
Thank goodness (in hindsight) they broke up when they did.

Date: January 6, 2018 19:38

It seems there is an agreement from what I've read and felt that 1973 is a good cut off. It was hard for me to go into 1974 because that album was quite a downturn from 1973. The only reason I did was to get to Thanksgiving 1974 and a live concert. It made the ending better than just petering out. But that decline happens to all groups that last ten years or more. Even some that last less.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home