Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Date: August 16, 2017 00:17

stanlove
stonehearted
stanlove
I am looking for examples of Beatles songs that are not brilliant.
Then you needn't look at all, because they are wherever you find them.

Music appreciation is a subjective experience.

It's like saying that a woman is beautiful.

But you could never get everyone to agree, because it's in the eye of the beholder.

Most people learn this before they have matured beyond adolescence.

The topic is the overuse of the word brilliant. Some people ( Brits ) use the word to describe most everything. Because of this the word no longer has meaning, If everything is Brilliant then nothing is really brilliant.

Again looking for a some Beatles songs that people with a fetish for the word brilliant do not think are brilliant. I have seen nothing yet

Did I dream this or wasn't it "proper" that was overused a while ago?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:28

He's trolling, but the bottom line is ANYONE that says everything the Beatles did was brilliant, or even good, can't really be taken seriously. Not everything was good. Most was great, but admit that some of it people only like cause its the Beatles. There's so many decent songs that wouldn't even be in the discussion for other bands, but because its the Beatles we can say "I'll Cry Instead. Every note is memorable." No, the White Album is not flawless. Its an incredible record, but you like a lot of it because its the Beatles and because its the White Album. Yes, Good Night is filler, many other songs are too.

He's a troll but he's right about the brilliant thing. And I wish people would just admit that the Beatles are very lucky that EVERYTHING has held up and is held in high regard. Thats not the case for anyone but them, and its warranted in a lot of cases, but not all. And I don't get why Beatles fans are butthurt to admit that. My dad won't. Many Beatles fans don't.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:31

DandelionPowderman
stanlove
stonehearted
stanlove
I am looking for examples of Beatles songs that are not brilliant.
Then you needn't look at all, because they are wherever you find them.

Music appreciation is a subjective experience.

It's like saying that a woman is beautiful.

But you could never get everyone to agree, because it's in the eye of the beholder.

Most people learn this before they have matured beyond adolescence.

The topic is the overuse of the word brilliant. Some people ( Brits ) use the word to describe most everything. Because of this the word no longer has meaning, If everything is Brilliant then nothing is really brilliant.

Again looking for a some Beatles songs that people with a fetish for the word brilliant do not think are brilliant. I have seen nothing yet

Did I dream this or wasn't it "proper" that was overused a while ago?

Haven't you used "did I dream" on a recent post? It's starting to be overused. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 00:32 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:40

Another sadly overused phrase here is "Don't Feed The Troll" (whatever name the Troll goes by).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:44

CaptainCorella
Another sadly overused phrase here is "Don't Feed The Troll" (whatever name the Troll goes by).

I think we can just have a nice wee laugh that someone has a thing about "some people (brits)" using the word brilliant. grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:49

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:55

There's at least two new yotube channels that have recently posted videos for loads of BRILLIANT and FAB Beatles tunes.

>BRILLIANT
> FAB

Usually these get deleted within a day or two of being uploaded, but some have been up for a week or more...maybe something changed with the copyright patrol?

Anyhow, here's a BRILLIANT and FAB Lennon tune. thumbs up

The Beatles- Rain Original Video 1966

And while we're at it, a BRILLIANT and FAB McCartney tune. thumbs up

The Beatles- Paperback Writer Original Video 1966

Absolutely brilliant!!!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 00:57 by Hairball.

Date: August 16, 2017 01:00

Brilliant stuff Hairball. smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2017 02:52

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 16, 2017 03:55

Didn't McCartney just gain control of their old catalog from the Jackson estate?
A friend said he has been seeing way more Beatles stuff on youtube and says that is the reason.

Date: August 16, 2017 04:06

wonderboy
Didn't McCartney just gain control of their old catalog from the Jackson estate?
A friend said he has been seeing way more Beatles stuff on youtube and says that is the reason.

I mentioned that possibility in the "what are you listening to thread" recently, but can't be sure.
If true, nice of Paul to loosen the reigns...he ain't a bad guy after all! cool smiley

Now if Dylan would follow suit, followed by the Hendrix estate...there used to be thousands of videos from them, now just a small fraction that are officially approved (along with bunch of cover versions).
If stubborn old Neil Young allows them, as well as business maestro Mick Jagger and the Stones, can't see why anyone else doesn't!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 04:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 16, 2017 17:20

McCartney has not regained control of the Beatles catalog from the Jackson estate, Sony now controls. Jackson estate had to relinquish due to loans against the songs. McCartney is still scheming and looking at the copyright expiration as an opportunity for the songs to revert back to him and the Lennon estate.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 16, 2017 21:04

His Majesty
CaptainCorella

I think we can just have a nice wee laugh that someone has a thing about "some people (brits)" using the word brilliant. grinning smiley

That's overusing the word so it no longer has any real meaning.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 16, 2017 21:07

RollingFreak
He's trolling, but the bottom line is ANYONE that says everything the Beatles did was brilliant, or even good, can't really be taken seriously. Not everything was good. Most was great, but admit that some of it people only like cause its the Beatles. There's so many decent songs that wouldn't even be in the discussion for other bands, but because its the Beatles we can say "I'll Cry Instead. Every note is memorable." No, the White Album is not flawless. Its an incredible record, but you like a lot of it because its the Beatles and because its the White Album. Yes, Good Night is filler, many other songs are too.

He's a troll but he's right about the brilliant thing. And I wish people would just admit that the Beatles are very lucky that EVERYTHING has held up and is held in high regard. Thats not the case for anyone but them, and its warranted in a lot of cases, but not all. And I don't get why Beatles fans are butthurt to admit that. My dad won't. Many Beatles fans don't.

Yes except for the troll part. I don't knock the Beatles and have no problem that they are held to a very high esteem but when people start calling "Everybody got something to hide except me and my monkey" Brilliant then it's just out of control. The word brilliant flies around music boards way too much and with Brits in Generalway to much. I have seen Brit paradies where they themselves mock how much they use the word

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 22:42 by stanlove.

Date: August 16, 2017 21:41

stanlove

No, it's just you being a mong. grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 16, 2017 22:36

stanlove
In this thread by now, I would say the above sentence practically qualifies as a cliche.

Date: August 18, 2017 06:34

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 18, 2017 17:56

whitem8
McCartney has not regained control of the Beatles catalog from the Jackson estate, Sony now controls. Jackson estate had to relinquish due to loans against the songs. McCartney is still scheming and looking at the copyright expiration as an opportunity for the songs to revert back to him and the Lennon estate.

Yes, Macca's latest lawsuit has been 'settled' out of court. Confidentiality agreement so one can only speculate on the outcome.
Surely it can't be about royalty payments. Maybe he got a 'shared' ownership to cover North American territories only.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 19, 2017 00:53

Paul McCartney Plays Drums on Upcoming Foo Fighters LP
A buddy told me about this two days ago; if it's been covered on this thread already please accept my apology. If not, enjoy:
[www.rollingstone.com]

kinda very cool that Paul would do this I think. cheers.

"He hadn't even heard of the song," said an unspecified member of the sextet. "He comes in and Dave picked up an acoustic and showed him real quick. He sat on his special drum set that his tech set up for him. I sat there with a drumstick conducting. He did two takes."

McCartney previously collaborated with Grohl and two other surviving members of Nirvana (bassist Krist Novoselic and current Foo Fighters guitarist Pat Smear) on "Cut Me Some Slack," an original song recorded for Grohl's 2013 film, Sound City.

Grohl clarified that McCartney isn't the surprise "pop star" guest Foo Fighters have been teasing for over a month. In June, the singer told BBC Radio 1, "[He or she] sings backup on one of the heaviest songs on the record. And we're not telling anybody who it is." But in a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Grohl walked back his phrasing, explaining, "This person is, I think, is more than [a pop star]."

"It was sort of towards the end of the album and this person came up and said, 'Man, I'd really love to sing on your record,'" the frontman continued. "I looked at [producer] Greg [Kurstin] and said, 'OK, come in tomorrow and we'll figure something out.' So we found a backup part for this person to sing and we decided we were gonna make it our own dirty little secret and see if anyone can figure it out."

Grohl denied that either Adele or Taylor Swift sing on the album. He hinted that he'd approached this person about appearing on the next season of Grohl's all-star HBO docu-series Sonic Highways.

"I'd be amazed if anyone can really figure it out," he said. "But it was great and this person's been around a long time. And I think I've met this person maybe a few times, but I'd never spent time with this person, and we had a blast together. Really @#$%& fun. And [he or she is] very talented – more so than I ever knew. But, of course, I @#$%& ran my mouth off; now I have to answer to it every time I pick up the telephone and I'm like, '@#$%&! I shouldn't have said anything.'"

Grohl previously revealed several other guest stars who appear on Concrete and Gold, including the Bird and the Bee's Inara George, saxophonist Dave Koz, the Kills' Alison Mosshart and Boyz II Men's Shawn Stockman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 01:03 by hopkins.

Date: August 19, 2017 01:20

This is the tale about one of the photo's from the Mad Day Out...

[www.theguardian.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 19, 2017 02:19

Paul's "gotta get a grip"
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2017 07:41

An interesting fictional speculation imagining John Lennon still alive at age 50 -- after having left the Beatles in 1962.

Some clever wisecracking lines in the writing: "A Rolling Stone gathers no smack."

Playhouse Presents... Snodgrass (written by David Quantick): [www.youtube.com]

By David Quantick 7:00AM BST 24 Apr 2013
We all know the story of Pete Best, thrown out of The Beatles just before they conquered the world, but what if it hadn’t been Best who’d gone? What if it was John Lennon? Snodgrass – the one-off drama I have written for Sky Arts, which is based on the brilliant novella by Ian R MacLeod – is set in a world where John Lennon walked out of the Fab Four in 1962 over “musical differences”. When we meet Lennon in 1991, he’s 50, on the dole, and extremely chippy. And his old, mediocre band – who, according to a still-bitter John, could have been “bigger than The Hollies” if he’d stayed – are playing down the road. The memories are coming back and bringing with them the ghosts of a troubled past...

When I first read Snodgrass, it was like being punched in the chest by a giant. My first thought was, “John Lennon’s alive!” In Snodgrass, Lennon was never famous so never made his remark about The Beatles being bigger than Jesus, and so wasn’t murdered. Instead he’s living in a kind of hell: unemployed with no prospects, and beset on all sides by people eager to remind him who and what he could have been. So my second thought was: which is worse, to be murdered at 40 and the biggest rock legend in the world, or to be the biggest loser in the world and alive?

It sounds about as funny as an outdoor production of Hedda Gabler in Lithuanian, but it has one comic secret weapon – John Lennon. Lennon wasn’t the funniest Beatle. That was Ringo Starr, a natural comic and clown. But from telling the occupants of the royal box to “rattle their jewellery” to telling the rest of The Beatles he was “warming to the idea of recording in a lunatic asylum”, Lennon had a mordant wit and a view of life that lent itself to one-liners. MacLeod’s Lennon kept that wit and so, I hope, has mine.

Despite his early associations with feminism, Black Power, and the peace movement, Lennon was hardly a hippy. Like many of today’s comedians, he was obsessed with disability in a somewhat disturbing manner. He made unacceptable comments all the time (when Brian Epstein was seeking a title for his autobiography, Lennon suggested Queer Jew). In real life, this tendency was mellowed by marriage and fatherhood (listen to the sentimental ballad Beautiful Boy on his last record, Double Fantasy) but the John Lennon of Snodgrass has had nothing to mellow him. Embittered by being “the man who left The Beatles”, with no family or close friends, this Lennon can allow his spleen free play.

I also liked to imagine (there’s a word you can’t avoid) that this Lennon, in his sixth decade, would be fond of the comic memories of his youth. John Lennon loved Lewis Carroll and Spike Milligan. He was an absurdist, and he would have grown up with the radio comedy of the post-war years, so I have him quoting both ITMA and The Goon Show. He makes terrible, tasteless puns (there’s a hunchback joke) and he is by no means polite about the work of his former colleagues (as a Beatles obsessive, this last was the hardest part for me. The first record I bought was Mull Of Kintyre and, unlike the Lennon of Snodgrass, I love it unreservedly).

There’s a tragic core to Snodgrass but there’s comedy too (which is why we’d like to develop this 30 minute play further). Partly because of the astonishingly sympathetic directing of David Blair, fresh from working with another laconic Liverpudlian, Jimmy McGovern (The Street, Accused) but also because of a remarkable central performance from Ian Hart, the actor who plays John Lennon. Hart has portrayed Lennon twice before – both times as a young man, in the art house film The Hours and the Times and the Hollywood biopic Backbeat. The two performances showcase the pre-fame Lennon, just as smart and sharp but with the fire and rage of youth. Hart is older now than Lennon was when he died, so he could only play him in something like Snodgrass. It’s easy when writing Lennon to imagine (again) that nasal, sardonic voice and that unique attitude, but it’s harder to actually personify it. Hart’s performance, I hope you’ll agree when you see Snodgrass, is extraordinary, funny and sad and always powerful. We couldn’t have done it without him, or without the incredibly sharp wit of the man it’s all about, John Lennon.

Article from: [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: August 22, 2017 08:42

hopkins
Paul's "gotta get a grip"
[www.youtube.com]

The main difference being Say Say Say made it to number one on the Billboard chart, sold over 1,000,000 copies in the US alone, and was certified platinum (US).
Billboard has since called it the 41st biggest hit of all-time on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.

The other difference is Say Say Say is an all around better crafted tune imo.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 23, 2017 19:20

THE BEATLES AND STONES DECLASSIFIED! Skellet Studios presents a rare and exclusive window into two remarkable bands during a revolutionary period, where attitudes and opinions were changed for ever. In association with The National Archives the book presents facsimiles of previously unseen original documents, this limited edition book will undoubtedly become a hugely collectable release.

[www.pledgemusic.com]

If you want to understand how the authorities viewed the rise of The Beatles and Stones, well we don’t just have theories, we have the proof! We have documents and correspondence regarding drugs busts, financial transactions, contracts, inter bank disputes ….and so on. These are documents that, until now, have been TOP SECRET. Now declassified, these documents have remained in the darkest recesses of government archives. With researched headed up by one of our finest pop culture writers and researchers, Simon Wells, and designed etc by myself, we know this will be the book that every Beatles & Stones collector will be discussing at the bar.

[www.pledgemusic.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-23 19:23 by Deltics.

Stones and Beatles declassified
Posted by: sizey ()
Date: August 25, 2017 00:19

Just throwing this out if anyone's interested.

[www.youtube.com]

The only known film of "Groupie" Norman Pilcher. 60s pop Oliver Cromwell - just minutes after he busted Brian Jones for drugs in 1967. Read all about it Beatles and Stones DECLASSIFIED!
[www.pledgemusic.com]…/beatles-and-stones-declassified

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 3, 2017 05:15

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 3, 2017 05:39

Very cool. I get chills seeing Lennon looking like he is enjoying himself and having a laugh with McCartney. Glad all this stuff is coming out.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 4, 2017 02:38

wonderboy

Very cool. I get chills seeing Lennon looking like he is enjoying himself and having a laugh with McCartney. Glad all this stuff is coming out.

Just great..........love does sessions

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 4, 2017 17:42

Great film...many thanks.
Despite all that was going on in their lives at the time (personal, business, musical) they were still pulling together, when it mattered.
Odd that the majority of the filmed segment has George behind the control booth (and largely absent from the camera).

Disappointing, that film of The Stones in the studio (of which there must be some?) hasn't surfaced to any great extent.
The Goddard 1968 and Exile 1971 films being exceptions of course.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home