Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 1, 2017 05:21

Perhaps they should have mentioned the more recent overpriced Vegas Stones tickets which ranged from $150 nosebleeds
up to apprx. $800 for the entire floor and majority of lower loge...and that was FACE value for regular tickets!!! eye popping smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 1, 2017 06:47

Hairball
Perhaps they should have mentioned the more recent overpriced Vegas Stones tickets which ranged from $150 nosebleeds
up to apprx. $800 for the entire floor and majority of lower loge...and that was FACE value for regular tickets!!! eye popping smiley

My point wasn't about the expense, or otherwise, of Stones' tickets, but the fact that Dr McCartney was in a glass house whence it's inadvisable to throw stones. (Sorry, no pun intended).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 1, 2017 07:59

CaptainCorella
Hairball

My point wasn't about the expense, or otherwise, of Stones' tickets, but the fact that Dr McCartney was in a glass house whence it's inadvisable to throw stones. (Sorry, no pun intended).

Understood Captain, but the Daily Mail could have used the more recent Vegas prices mentioned above to better emphasize their point which was:

"The Stones having been accused of charging too much for concert tickets".

They then give the prices from the 50 and Counting tour which almost seem reasonable when compared to the outrageous Vegas prices.

"Dr McCartney"...lol...haven't heard that one...has he also been given an honorary Phd to go along with his knighthood?

Date: July 1, 2017 09:33

Hairball

"Dr McCartney"...lol...haven't heard that one...has he also been given an honorary Phd to go along with his knighthood?

Not a PhD, but a D.Mus (Doctor of Music). University of Sussex. 1988. (Peasemarsh is actually in Sussex).

Had long chat with him on the day. smiling smiley

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 1, 2017 09:42

CaptainCorella
Hairball

Not a PhD, but a D.Mus (Doctor of Music). University of Sussex. 1988. (Peasemarsh is actually in Sussex).

Awesome. thumbs up

You learn something new everyday, and for now in I will refer to him as Dr. Macca. smiling smiley

Date: July 1, 2017 13:07

Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball

Awesome. thumbs up

You learn something new everyday, and for now in I will refer to him as Dr. Macca. smiling smiley

To be fully respectful, you'll probably need to refer to him as Dr Sir James Paul McCartney CBE

There's probably more honours, but that would be a good start. And don't forget the requirement that when you first address a Knight (for the first time) you are expected to go down on both knees to do it. All good after that first time.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 1, 2017 13:23

CaptainCorella

To be fully respectful, you'll probably need to refer to him as Dr Sir James Paul McCartney CBE

There's probably more honours, but that would be a good start. And don't forget the requirement that when you first address a Knight (for the first time) you are expected to go down on both knees to do it. All good after that first time.

Dr. Sir James Paul McCartney, CH, MBE

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 1, 2017 15:16

Deltics

Whoops, yes of course. My (very) bad. How could I have possibly conflated the CH and the MBE when I know full well from the Burke's Peerage by my desk (yes, really) that the former vastly overarches the latter.

It can't be that long before he gets ennobled I'm sure.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 1, 2017 15:20

CaptainCorella
Deltics

Whoops, yes of course. My (very) bad. How could I have possibly conflated the CH and the MBE when I know full well from the Burke's Peerage by my desk (yes, really) that the former vastly overarches the latter.

It can't be that long before he gets ennobled I'm sure.

Lord McCartney of Walton?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 1, 2017 22:42

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 7, 2017 01:50

Paul McCartney describes the Buddy Holly influence on The Beatles (1980's)
[www.youtube.com]

Paul McCartney performs 'Peggy Sue'
and discusses musical arrangement tricks and sounds.
"Paul McCartney chats to Ronnie Wood about how The Beatles would try new song arrangements, sounds and 'little tricks' to make their songs sound different.

This clip is taken from The Ronnie Wood Show, an award-winning TV series first broadcast on Sky Arts.
Every episode features top artists joining Ronnie for impromptu jamming, lively chat and reminiscing about the wild days of rock'n'roll."
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 01:59 by hopkins.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 8, 2017 18:54

CaptainCorella
Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball

Awesome. thumbs up

I refer to him as a has-been (or "never been) who hasnt ever released a god album. And he has the balls to criticize the Stones??!!! What an idiot. "Hey Paulie, go and make some more elevator music"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 8, 2017 19:19

CaptainCorella
Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball

Awesome. thumbs up

Living and learning something new everyday indeed. Very well deserved honor for one of the finest musicians of all time.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: July 9, 2017 00:41

potus43
CaptainCorella
Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball

Awesome. thumbs up Harsh

I refer to him as a has-been (or "never been) who hasnt ever released a god album. And he has the balls to criticize the Stones??!!! What an idiot. "Hey Paulie, go and make some more elevator music"

Date: July 9, 2017 05:08

yippie

Date: July 9, 2017 05:59

potus you are as reliable as Big Ben or one of the geysers at Yellowstone. I want you to know I count on you for this kind of thing.
Also, I miss HMS so much. Come home HMS. I haven't Had It With You dude!! We don't Got To Get Into A Fight!! eye popping smiley
Don't Hold Back; I don't want to be Too Rude to either of you! tongue sticking out smiley

I want to hold your hand potus; I feel that strongly about it. I'd start a Revolution here if I had to. Don't Let Me Down, I'm NOT Only Sleeping here.
It goes a bit Helter Skelter on this site sometimes; makes me want to primal-scream for my Mother, I needed her but she didn't need me! so, I just go to...well never mind, kinda personal...
...I've been to Dr, Robert about it. I should have known better, everybody's got something to hide (except for me and my Monkey, Man). We can work it out. We Love You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-09 06:01 by hopkins.

Date: July 9, 2017 19:19

Darn you must have a PHD!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 10, 2017 04:37

Modern Drummer -- July 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 10, 2017 13:36

Jordan is totally on the spot.
Ringo rules!

Date: July 11, 2017 02:07

Jordan must be tone deaf

Date: July 11, 2017 02:30

Ignore the troll.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 14, 2017 20:14

It's possible this has already been posted, but here's a good read on the development of the Pepper cover.

[sgtpepperphotos.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 14, 2017 20:36

Have been trying to dig into the Beatles deep cuts - I honestly don't know a lot of them outside of Sgt. Pepper and White Album, which I own. Have to say: Beatles hits are on par with Stones hits but Stones deep cuts are waaaaay better, The album cuts from Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, etc. are weak imo. The "Silver Hammer" song - what the hell is that?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2017 23:17

Send It To me
Have been trying to dig into the Beatles deep cuts - I honestly don't know a lot of them outside of Sgt. Pepper and White Album, which I own. Have to say: Beatles hits are on par with Stones hits but Stones deep cuts are waaaaay better, The album cuts from Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, etc. are weak imo. The "Silver Hammer" song - what the hell is that?

The end of the Beatles and the start of Paul McCartney solo.......it's in the same league as Obla di...... and a lot more funny McCartney songs

Date: July 15, 2017 18:44

sure did the hell out of the Dizzy Miss Lizzy. That guy is one of the greatest rock and roll singers to ever walk the face of the Earth.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 15, 2017 21:15

John? Paul is pretty good too on the screaming rock and roll stuff. I'm Down, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-15 21:16 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 15, 2017 23:48

Ringo was and is still an amazing drummer, despite his advanced age. Advertisements aside, this is a decent article about Ringo:

[www.sweetwater.com]

Date: July 15, 2017 23:57

well the word genius gets batted around an awful lot. I can hardly spell it right half the time. Richard's a natural musical genius. He just is. No less than a Brian Jones or someone just so deeply into their own musical thing that almost anything could be conceived or done. Starkey keeps it straight in his head. He always always just talks about emotion. He knows right where it's at. Always w that band. If it's bongos or shakers or coming up with some natural 'riff' or run of hits that just becomes absolutely classic. In it's simplicity, natural melodey, and the 'sense' it makes with it's own musical 'involvement' directly with the lyics. He knows the song is sacred and it's all about the song. Harrison knew that too.
There's not one drummer anywhere in the word vaguely related to almost ANY kind of pop music, that does not know what a 'ringo-fill' is...the simplicity; the 'awkward' spaces he had, always adjusting as a lefty; not being naturally inclined to do the 'regular' hits slams and etc...the way most would naturally give a little 'run' around the kit...givin' everything a little tap along the way; all the toms and etc...

Like Charlie; and let this be a lesson to all of us. a very small spare kit; not showy with everything mounted including the triange stand and gonger gong from Gongalia...just a few things...

you know that little 'space' thats been pusing off the best pop rock commercial metal ANY kind of recording music this past half century; there's Ringo.

Like when I worked with two great bg singers once...i was trying to work out a three part harmony thing and Gary looked and Mike and said 'beatles' and we did the part in one take...
...you could probably tell any drummer you were working with to 'ringo it up' a little on a fill, and they'd probably smile and give it a go....add a little space,,,then when they come in; you are anticipating and needing it; when it resolves, along with other instrumentation; it's erything in great musci. give the drummer some!

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: July 16, 2017 01:05

potus43
Jordan must be tone deaf
mickscarey, you've been trolling any Beatles discussion on this site for 10 years now, is it? Don't you have a life?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 20, 2017 16:48

Nice read about John Lennon after the Beatles.

[gothamist.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home