Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9899100101102103104105106107108...LastNext
Current Page: 103 of 223
Re: OT--Yoko gets "Imagine" co-songwriting credit
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 16, 2017 10:58

According to the account of this I was reading on the BBC yesterday the co-writing credit has been awarded by someone else to her and took her by surprise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40286790

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 16, 2017 12:24

Good for her.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 16, 2017 18:53

rebelrebel
According to the account of this I was reading on the BBC yesterday the co-writing credit has been awarded by someone else to her and took her by surprise.

She probably had some lyric small ideas "Imagine there is no" or "No need for greed or hunger"

Always tough this part was about Paul and the Beatles as the whole album was full with hate...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

The greatest rock and roll band in the world? Yes, the fantastic live performances over nearly 50 years prove it. Sorry Beatles fans.
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 16:16

I have an old friend. We have known each other since we teenagers in the lates 70's early 80's. He is a Beatles guy. He always insists indulging in his Beatles vs. Stones argument. As the years go by I don't really care for this guy as he is a bully when it comes to his opinions.

He insisted on listening to songs to compare greatness. After a Yesterday vs. Satisfaction showdown. I told him the Stones are so much better I will stack only live recordings against his choice of any Beatles songs. We went back and forth a few times, he pulls Helter Skelter out and is pretty confident. He had no idea of the live power of the Stones. I lay a prisitine recording of Gimme Shelter from 73 on him. His face is changing. I can tell the look of defeat. We kept this up for a few songs and he actually admitted he didn't have the ammunition for this battle.

It made me realize how lucky we are as Stones fans to have this amazing catalogs of stellar live recordings. As we argue over the quality of the Ladies and Gentelman CD we should realize what we have. And its still growing!

Re: The greatest rock and roll band in the world? Yes, the fantastic live performances over nearly 50 years prove it. Sorry Beatles fans.
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 19, 2017 18:23

.. two great bands, but if you're talking rock and roll, and live, between Beatles and Stones, there is really no comparison, because the Beatles
became such a different kind of band.

the Rolling Stones obviously value live performance; not the case when the Beatles were together. (less than 10 years)..

although with McCartney, and his band, a different story.

Re: The greatest rock and roll band in the world? Yes, the fantastic live performances over nearly 50 years prove it. Sorry Beatles fans.
Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: June 19, 2017 18:52

The Beatles aren't even no. 2

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 19, 2017 19:07

^^

they sure started out as a live rock and roll band ( and on that rooftop, kind of ended up as one..cool smiley )

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 19:14

The best thing about the battle between the Beatles and the Rolling Stones is that they pushed themselves and each other to greater heights and we get to enjoy them BOTH and that's what I celebrate - having them BOTH smileys with beer

It needn't be an either/or choice. I'm certainly a bigger Stones fan than a Beatles fan but to claim one type of music is better than another is just plan daft as music is all about personal tastes. Believe it or not folks, there are even people who like neither.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 19, 2017 19:20

For me, I dig the Beatles a lot, but I don't really listen to them all that much compared to the Stones and some others. A real test is what do you usually play.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 19, 2017 19:34

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:04

grzegorz67
The best thing about the battle between the Beatles and the Rolling Stones is that they pushed themselves and each other to greater heights and we get to enjoy them BOTH and that's what I celebrate - having them BOTH smileys with beer

It needn't be an either/or choice. I'm certainly a bigger Stones fan than a Beatles fan but to claim one type of music is better than another is just plan daft as music is all about personal tastes. Believe it or not folks, there are even people who like neither.

Some people have atrocious taste and of course they are free to do so and if it brings them joy in their life then great but in no way whatsoever do I buy the argument that everything is of equal quality and there should be no distinction made.
No one with any sense is buying the argument that Kanye West is on a par with Frank Sinatra.

Nate

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:05

straycatdevil

Could not agree more. Ridiculously overrated elevator muzak

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:30

timmyj3
I have an old friend. We have known each other since we teenagers in the lates 70's early 80's. He is a Beatles guy. He always insists indulging in his Beatles vs. Stones argument. As the years go by I don't really care for this guy as he is a bully when it comes to his opinions.

He insisted on listening to songs to compare greatness. After a Yesterday vs. Satisfaction showdown. I told him the Stones are so much better I will stack only live recordings against his choice of any Beatles songs. We went back and forth a few times, he pulls Helter Skelter out and is pretty confident. He had no idea of the live power of the Stones. I lay a prisitine recording of Gimme Shelter from 73 on him. His face is changing. I can tell the look of defeat. We kept this up for a few songs and he actually admitted he didn't have the ammunition for this battle.

It made me realize how lucky we are as Stones fans to have this amazing catalogs of stellar live recordings. As we argue over the quality of the Ladies and Gentelman CD we should realize what we have. And its still growing!

That's a funny story timmy, but sounds like your friend wimped out in the debate.

And for you to throw in a live Stones track from '73 vs. a Beatles studio track from 1968 seems a bit sneaky and unfair, but that's ok.
Had the Beatles been around in '73, who knows what kind of live recordings they may have produced? And maybe by then they would have had Clapton in the band! Then it would have been a Taylor vs. Clapton debate!
But no matter, you can take everything from the Stones vs. everything from the Beatles (not just the tunes, but everything), and the results will always be the same historically speaking - the Beatles will always be at the top and every other band will fall behind. And in all fairness, the Stones should have some points deducted for all of the inferior studio output they've released in the last 35+ years.
Have to give them some credit though for playing more live shows and being together longer, but does that make them a better band? Not in my book.

"I did like the Stones, but they were never anywhere near the Beatles--not for humour, not for originality, not for songs, not for presentation.
All they had was Mick Jagger dancing about. Fair enough, the Stones made great records, but they were always s**t on stage, whereas the Beatles were the gear". - Lemmy

winking smiley

Date: June 19, 2017 20:31

Nate
grzegorz67

Some people have atrocious taste and of course they are free to do so and if it brings them joy in their life then great but in no way whatsoever do I buy the argument that everything is of equal quality and there should be no distinction made.
No one with any sense is buying the argument that Kanye West is on a par with Frank Sinatra. grinning smiley

Nate

I don't buy into the argument either Nate and I could perhaps have worded it better. It's also true when comparing different material produced by the same artist. But to try to persuade someone who is a fan of something that there's far better around is generally futile. A lot of people's fandom, especially the young is down to a craving for peer acceptance and a wish to be seen to be 'cool'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 20:33 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:35

timmyj3

Thing is, comparing that stones with The Beatles is a bit odd as that stones features a new member.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:38

Beatles and Stones

(thanks, Deltics!)

Date: June 19, 2017 20:41

Cristiano Radtke
Beatles and Stones

(thanks, Deltics!)

Ha ha - famous interview Christiano with Mick being suitably evasive towards the interviewer >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:49

potus43
straycatdevil

You would get a lot more respect for your opinion regarding this subject, if you had not made a whole carrer out of bashing The Beatles and nothing else.
You are a laughing stock on IORR and no one is taking you and your posts serious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 18:38 by Blueranger.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 20, 2017 06:53

"well they really helped us get a record deal in the first place. their encouragement gave us a lot of visibilty and then a song John and Paul wrote got us off the ground so we think they're great too, tho we are totally different players and people with our own sound and fans. I mean we even started to write our own songs they were so inspiring. We dressed in matching suits and Beatle boots, haha even the collarless jackets as we were growing out our hair...and look I'm wearing a Beatle haircut right now!!; so gosh I have to be diplomatic here but it's really all a bunch of nonsense; you people are easy to work; one of their publicists is our manager haha...we'll probably copy every fashion they start for the rest of the decade if we last that long...haha, really; if they put a feather in their ass you can be sure we'll put in two and say how you do...it's only rock and roll"

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-20 07:01 by hopkins.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: June 20, 2017 18:31

Blueranger
potus43
straycatdevil

You would get a lot more respect for your opinion regarding this subject, if you had not made a whole carrer out of bashing The Beatles and nothing else.
You are a laughing stock on IORR and no one are taking you and your posts serious.
you mean no one is

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 21, 2017 17:00

For you Beatle fans, here is a fantastic podcast series:

[somethingaboutthebeatles.com]

Truly this is a treasure trove of great discussions and history. I love it! I would love to find out if there is something similar for The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 28, 2017 11:08

rebelrebel

Yoko is in control of the "Lennon Estate'. (as the main beneficiary).
They (Lennon Music) own the world copyright to Imagine.
Its published/administerd by Downtown Music.
Surely she would have known about the decision to award a songwriting credit to her?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 30, 2017 09:40

Paul McCartney has opinions concerning the Stones setlist. One wonder if he has seen a recent Stones gig...

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: June 30, 2017 10:05

Svartmer
Paul McCartney has opinions concerning the Stones setlist. One wonder if he has seen a recent Stones gig...

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Hehe, as they played together twice in California, I'm sure he has winking smiley

Date: June 30, 2017 10:10

A bizarre piece and a bizarre statement from McCartney!

Although, on paper, the setlist from Indio looks like they have changed it around (but we know better) smiling smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 30, 2017 10:49

Other Macca news:
He was seen recently......on his own, no bodyguards in sight.....travelling on the London to Hastings (South Coast) train.

Can't imagine Mick or Keith using public transport OR going out on their own.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2017 11:02

Along with losing his voice, Macca might be also be losing his marbles? eye popping smiley

Taking train rides alone...talking nonsense about Stones setlists....confused smiley

Date: June 30, 2017 11:03

jlowe
Other Macca news:
He was seen recently......on his own, no bodyguards in sight.....travelling on the London to Hastings (South Coast) train.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 30, 2017 12:12

I have to agree, a very strange comment by Macca. Sometimes I think he tries to hard to relate to the minions. Seems he's fascinated by it when he does things like drive a truck into 7-11 in the U.S. without money, and now a train ride from London. Almost seems like he wants people to crowd him.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 1, 2017 05:07

jlowe
Other Macca news:

The train travelling report could well be basically true - he definitely used to travel on London buses. But any report that says a train for Hastings departs from Kings Cross is, ahem, flawed.

Also remember the bit in "Being Mick" where Matt Clifford and Pete Townshend are teasing Mick about him not even knowing how to travel on public transport!

The Daily Fail report of Paul's comments on The Stones has this bit in it..

His comments come with The Stones having been accused of charging too much for concert tickets.

The cheapest ticket for their 2012 50th anniversary tour was £106, a VIP hospitality ticket came in at £950.

That's a laugh. The just selling tickets to Paul's first concerts in Australia for 24 years have the vast majority of seats at either $250AU or $400AU - only a tiny (token?) number below that price, and the VIP packages include one section at $2000AU per head and another at $1500AU per head.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9899100101102103104105106107108...LastNext
Current Page: 103 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home