Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 22:13

Deltics
MrMibbs
potus43
Deltics
potus43
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yes and this is a dedicated thread for all Beatles related posts as sanctioned by the website's owner, curator and your host, bv.
If you have any issues with it I suggest you contact him personally at iorr@arena.no rather than keep trolling on here.

smileys with beer
Your nice!
My nice what? confused smiley

Very nice
very nice indeed as is mr potus
Some narcissism going on here, mickscarey.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 22:14

Hateful troll

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:18

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:19

On a positive note, potus43 keeps this thread alive and well by bumping it up every time he posts! thumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:25

Disc and Music Echo July 15, 1967.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 13:38 by Deltics.

Date: May 19, 2017 00:29

OK that was really cool. It's like peeling off the layers of a masterpiece painting by your favorite artist to see what kind of canvas or panel they used,
and getting a glimpse of the original sketches that were eventually filled in with layers of pigment. It gives the opportunity to see things differently, or in this case hear things differently.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2017 10:34

Fifty facts about Sgt Peppers ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 22, 2017 05:51

Listening to that stripped down Lucy reminded me of this, especially the instrumental chorus of Lucy.

Dizzy

And Lucy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-22 05:54 by Long John Stoner.

Date: May 22, 2017 06:42

Long John Stoner
Listening to that stripped down Lucy reminded me of this, especially the instrumental chorus of Lucy.

Dizzy

And Lucy...

Yes I hear the similarities, and I don't know if this is true or not, but reading the comments under the above video (along with other comments):

"This is not a criticism, just a correction. This is NOT the 1969 recording, it's a re-recording?"

If true, I don't know what year of the re-recording, but here is the original from 1969:

Tommy Roe - Dizzzy

Not too much difference really, and the similarities to stripped down Lucy demos are still there...maybe even more so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-22 06:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2017 08:05

RECORD COLLECTOR 464 -- March 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: May 26, 2017 15:44

Sgt. Pepper's deluxe edition is already on Spotify: [open.spotify.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 26, 2017 15:58

Hoping it is waiting for me today after work, I ordered the double vinyl version. Reading great reviews!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 26, 2017 16:42

Got the super deluxe edition just before work today. Just by looking at it I'm already satisfied. Can't wait to get home and play it. Be careful buying it though, the lenticular slip case is not sealed in plastic. The first copy in my hand had a scar on it. Plus there's the Ole, Ole Blu-ray as well. Great day for music!

Date: May 26, 2017 18:31

I really want the Super Deluxe dang it, but am hoping for a price drop of some kind...popmarket.com sometimes comes through with massive sales.
And I'll keep my eye on other sites including Amazon and the various secondary markets....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 26, 2017 19:02

I'm not a big fan of Pepper; I was impressed with all the fashion and experimentation at the time but it didn't stay with me as an important album I'd go back to...that being said I celebrate the band's accomplishments and a whole lot of tracks I think were written and performed beautifully but these re-mixes leave me unimpressed. My only true reference would be the various commercial formats it was originally released in; mostly vinyl tho I'm pretty sure 8 track and cassette official releases were in the 'mix' and available back then; these new ones from George Martin's son seem sterile to me; too deconstructed, isolated, compressed and carefully put back together again. There is a deadness to it, and a sameness dynamically speaking, in a sonic sense; to me anyhow...it doesen't seem to have the verve and humanity to it; i'm not technically advanced enough to know exactly what the 'loudness' wars are about other than pumping certain frequencies with equalization....but there's something 'off' about these to my ears...There were at least 10 studio albums from them before this and a few afterward and I think I've got pretty good familiarity with what was presented and how; how everybody was hearing things on the radio and tv and for the part on all their various home gear back then....and it's not right somehow....
there's a sterility to it that I didn't pick up with their output straight from George Martin; and pretty much exactly what the band was hearing and approving...
...even those Cirque de Solie (sp?) tracks that g. Martin put together were stripped to basic sonics and transparent but so beautiful and impactful; pristine really...his son doesn't have the same frame of reference imo, and not capable of similar impact with his production work.
yes you can hear the drums and certain things in more detail. but the acoustics seem thin and metallic...the performances sound further away and less personal; even tho the specific details might be more apparent, tweaked hard in the mids and upper mids where the vocals are until it all sounds flat without dynamics, well not 'all' w totality but that's my impression from early listenings and I won't listen too much further....
...i think sometimes these great 'new and improved' hype-fests are pretty much hype-fests but no one wants to say the Emperor has no clothes....we're getting sort of everything microscopically tweaked and enlarged and exposed and it all sounds flat dynamically to me pretty much. Certain labels that had Stones catalog control for period did similar kinds of things that drove me back to my official cassette and vinyl releases for a reality check.

Date: May 26, 2017 19:44

Pepper is not my fav of theirs, and I think Revolver was much more revolutionary and coherent. That being said, there are brilliant moments on Pepper. I have read reviews of the new deluxe set that the CD sounds compressed. However, the vinyl is getting some great reviews. I think Giles does a brilliant job with his remixes. Love was outstanding, and the soundtrack for Yellow Submarine was stellar as well. I am anxious to spin the vinyl and will review it here.

Date: May 26, 2017 20:19

hopkins
I'm not a big fan of Pepper; I was impressed with all the fashion and experimentation at the time but it didn't stay with me as an important album I'd go back to...that being said I celebrate the band's accomplishments and a whole lot of tracks I think were written and performed beautifully but these re-mixes leave me unimpressed. My only true reference would be the various commercial formats it was originally released in; mostly vinyl tho I'm pretty sure 8 track and cassette official releases were in the 'mix' and available back then; these new ones from George Martin's son seem sterile to me; too deconstructed, isolated, compressed and carefully put back together again. There is a deadness to it, and a sameness dynamically speaking, in a sonic sense; to me anyhow...it doesen't seem to have the verve and humanity to it; i'm not technically advanced enough to know exactly what the 'loudness' wars are about other than pumping certain frequencies with equalization....but there's something 'off' about these to my ears...There were at least 10 studio albums from them before this and a few afterward and I think I've got pretty good familiarity with what was presented and how; how everybody was hearing things on the radio and tv and for the part on all their various home gear back then....and it's not right somehow....
there's a sterility to it that I didn't pick up with their output straight from George Martin; and pretty much exactly what the band was hearing and approving...
...even those Cirque de Solie (sp?) tracks that g. Martin put together were stripped to basic sonics and transparent but so beautiful and impactful; pristine really...his son doesn't have the same frame of reference imo, and not capable of similar impact with his production work.
yes you can hear the drums and certain things in more detail. but the acoustics seem thin and metallic...the performances sound further away and less personal; even tho the specific details might be more apparent, tweaked hard in the mids and upper mids where the vocals are until it all sounds flat without dynamics, well not 'all' w totality but that's my impression from early listenings and I won't listen too much further....
...i think sometimes these great 'new and improved' hype-fests are pretty much hype-fests but no one wants to say the Emperor has no clothes....we're getting sort of everything microscopically tweaked and enlarged and exposed and it all sounds flat dynamically to me pretty much. Certain labels that had Stones catalog control for period did similar kinds of things that drove me back to my official cassette and vinyl releases for a reality check.

In other words, overly sterilized. I might be better off sticking with my scratchy old vinyl (or my other old copies that aren't so scratchy), or the mono mix cd from several years ago.
But I really want to hear all of the outakes, etc. from the Big Deluxe...!!!...wondering if each of those will be available separately as a download? Or maybe they are already?

Date: May 26, 2017 20:31

The vinyl is getting stellar reviews. Great pressing, no low DR, and great stereo remix.

Date: May 26, 2017 20:31

Hairball
hopkins

In other words, overly sterilized. I might be better off sticking with my scratchy old vinyl (or my other old copies that aren't so scratchy), or the mono mix cd from several years ago.
But I really want to hear all of the outakes, etc. from the Big Deluxe...!!!...wondering if each of those will be available separately as a download? Or maybe they are already?

I might be hearing something completely different. Last night I was listening to the 2009 edition after listening to this new mix and I thought the new edition sounded much more better. Perhaps I'll need to listen to them again (which is not a hard thing to do grinning smiley).

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 26, 2017 21:15

Here's Giles take on it; tho I suspect Christiano is probably already aware of it.
interesting in any case imo:
"We now can go back to the early generations of tapes. It's hard to explain, but my father had to record everything on a four-track — that means you can record four things on one tape. And that was bounced to another four-track. [Each time sounds are bounced to another tape the sound degrades]. What we do is we go back to the previous generation [the original tapes], so we're mixing off generations of tape that they never mixed off. [Martin here is referencing the final takes of each instrumental part, which were transferred to four-track tapes, which were then used to create the final mix.] So it's almost like a car that comes straight out of a paint shop. The tapes are glistening. What was recorded in '67 sounds pure and crystal clear — there's not any hiss or anything. And with this version of Sgt. Pepper that's what we try to do — we're trying to get you closer to the music."
[www.npr.org]

Date: May 26, 2017 22:09

Though I haven't played the discs yet I doubt I would stop playing my original mono pressing LP. Since I'm not impressed with the original stereo version I thought to give this new one a chance. Plus the packaging is nice and there's video in 4K resolution. Don't care about the posters though. Overall it's worth the price to me. But as they say "to each is own".

Date: May 26, 2017 23:32

hopkins
Here's Giles take on it; tho I suspect Christiano is probably already aware of it.
"We now can go back to the early generations of tapes. It's hard to explain, but my father had to record everything on a four-track — that means you can record four things on one tape. And that was bounced to another four-track. [Each time sounds are bounced to another tape the sound degrades]. What we do is we go back to the previous generation [the original tapes], so we're mixing off generations of tape that they never mixed off. [Martin here is referencing the final takes of each instrumental part, which were transferred to four-track tapes, which were then used to create the final mix.] So it's almost like a car that comes straight out of a paint shop. The tapes are glistening. What was recorded in '67 sounds pure and crystal clear — there's not any hiss or anything. And with this version of Sgt. Pepper that's what we try to do — we're trying to get you closer to the music."
[www.npr.org]

Thanks, hopkins! thumbs up

I agree completely with Giles here. I haven't read many reviews about this release because I wanted to be surprised when listening to the album, which happened. There's a lot of details I haven't heard on the previous pressings and in this new mix everything is louder and clearer.

Date: May 27, 2017 01:16

Cristiano Radtke
hopkins
[www.npr.org]

I agree completely with Giles here. I haven't read many reviews about this release because I wanted to be surprised when listening to the album, which happened. There's a lot of details I haven't heard on the previous pressings and in this new mix everything is louder and clearer.

I haven't heard it yet, so anything I say (or have said) is based on speculation.
I think part of the charm of the original recordings might have to do with the archaic recording process, ie "Each time sounds are bounced to another tape the sound degrades". That's they way it was back then, and the final cut was a culmination of tape degradation for better or worse. That's the absolute original release, which is like a time capsule that everyone is used to. Now it's being dissected, torn apart, and put back together meticulously with state of the art equipment. Like Frankenstein being torn apart and put back together with original parts, but done via non-invasive lazer surgery vs old school scalpels and stitches. Or like taking a dirty old hippie and giving him a bath and a brand new tuxedo. There might be some plus's to all of this, but if it strays too far from the original, it might lose part of it's greatness and come across as a bit sterile. Kind of like colorized old black and white films in a sense - it might look nice, but it's not the real thing.That said, I definitely look forward to hearing all of this with it's nice new shiny coating, but whether it's an actual improvement is a matter of opinion.

Date: May 27, 2017 11:10

Played it last night and loved it. But again, don't think I'll be giving up on the mono version. Yet to play the out takes though.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 27, 2017 11:20

The new stereo mix is brilliant. It's like hearing it for the first time.

Date: May 27, 2017 21:06

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
hopkins
[www.npr.org]

I haven't heard it yet, so anything I say (or have said) is based on speculation.
I think part of the charm of the original recordings might have to do with the archaic recording process, ie "Each time sounds are bounced to another tape the sound degrades". That's they way it was back then, and the final cut was a culmination of tape degradation for better or worse. That's the absolute original release, which is like a time capsule that everyone is used to. Now it's being dissected, torn apart, and put back together meticulously with state of the art equipment. Like Frankenstein being torn apart and put back together with original parts, but done via non-invasive lazer surgery vs old school scalpels and stitches. Or like taking a dirty old hippie and giving him a bath and a brand new tuxedo. There might be some plus's to all of this, but if it strays too far from the original, it might lose part of it's greatness and come across as a bit sterile. Kind of like colorized old black and white films in a sense - it might look nice, but it's not the real thing.That said, I definitely look forward to hearing all of this with it's nice new shiny coating, but whether it's an actual improvement is a matter of opinion.

I second crholmstrom's comment above: It's like hearing it for the first time indeed.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all! smileys with beer

Date: May 27, 2017 21:32

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
hopkins
[www.npr.org]

I second crholmstrom's comment above: It's like hearing it for the first time indeed.

smileys with beer

But ....do you think it's better than the original? Or maybe I should say, do you personally like it better than the original?
Or is it a matter of apples and oranges....with possibly both having positives and negatives?

Date: May 27, 2017 21:38

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
hopkins
[www.npr.org]

smileys with beer

But ....do you think it's better than the original? Or maybe I should say, do you personally like it better than the original?
Or is it a matter of apples and oranges....with possibly both having positives and negatives?

It's a very different record and it sounds better than the previous stereo edition, imho. I won't get rid of my old records of course, but next time when I pick up Sgt. Pepper's to listen again I'll choose this new edition. The last time I've had this feeling was when I listened to that "Abbey Road" edition of Exile on Main St.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-27 22:22 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: May 27, 2017 21:41

Thanks Cristiano - looking forward to hearing it all!!! thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 27, 2017 22:29

I don't consider it an improvement, but then again I rarely do with these new remasters. I DID think the 2009 remasters were, but then again I was also listening intently to those because they SAID they were different. But it did sound like they did the best with those and to do them with love and care, not just shiny coating as most remasters are, so I gave them credit for that. This, I can't imagine how it'll sound better (doesn't that mean they were intentionally holding back 8 years ago?), but it did sound good, as it always does.

Its an overpriced money grab box although, again, to give it credit and be fair, it looks beautiful and stunning. Its a lavish beauty that's ALMOST worth paying all the money. I love the outtakes, although know full well I'll hear them once or twice then probably never again. But to hear them working these things out, to take the paint off the masterpieces, is awesome to hear. I feel they skimped a bit in the end. It didn't have to be like the recent Dylan box that included every fart he did making those records, but more than two of each song would have been nice. Using little effects and stuff. Most is great, but I would have loved more stuff like the Orchestra overdubbing track from A Day In The Life. Its barely a minute but its @#$%& awesome.

Overall, its a cool box. IMO not worth the money, but beautiful and the outtakes are worth a listen once. The stereo and mono albums, IMO, hold no improvement or not enough to warrant needing them again, but I'm also not an audiophile. The Blu Ray of the album, again, is pretty worthless to me as, I get it, the album sounds good. The DVD could be cool, although from 1992 its disappointing thats not even new either. Not to make it sound like an attack on the box. I fully get that this is what most of them include. The best bits are the box itself (and booklet) and the two outtakes disc, which I wish were filled to the brim. You probably won't regret it. I don't, but also fully understand how overpriced and repetitive most of it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-27 22:29 by RollingFreak.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home