Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 27, 2017 16:47

Toru A, I can't see your picture! I don't have any of the posters from those days. I've been downsizing my collection over the years but I saved a few memories from Tokyo. I used to love going to Shingiku, Shibuya and of course Tower Records. Is the Gimme Shelter store still there?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 28, 2017 01:19

frankotero
Toru A, I can't see your picture! I don't have any of the posters from those days. I've been downsizing my collection over the years but I saved a few memories from Tokyo. I used to love going to Shingiku, Shibuya and of course Tower Records. Is the Gimme Shelter store still there?

Tower Records is still a landmark of Shibuya.

Gimme Shelter changed their style to the web shop.
Here is the address of the link.
[gimmeshelter.jp]

Re: OT: It was 30 years ago today...
Date: February 28, 2017 04:55

frankotero
I was lucky enough to buy one of those Toshiba pressed copies of Abbey Road when I lived in Tokyo then.

If you mean this one (Toshiba recalled Abbey in 1983 because they released it without Apple approval),

you can make a small fortune.smiling smiley

Re: OT: It was 30 years ago today...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2017 07:16

Toru A
frankotero
I was lucky enough to buy one of those Toshiba pressed copies of Abbey Road when I lived in Tokyo then.

If you mean this one (Toshiba recalled Abbey in 1983 because they released it without Apple approval),

you can make a small fortune.smiling smiley

it's sounds as though you made that fortune toru san.

Date: February 28, 2017 10:07

Yes I have that CD. It's the greatest deal in all my collecting years. And I paid normal price at a store named Pony. It was close to Yokota Air Base where I was in the Air Force, way back in 1985. I'm pleased to hear Tower Records is still there. Someday I want to visit with my Wife Yasuko who I married while there. Tons of great memories. Cheers from Germany where I live now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2017 06:06

ASK FRED --- MOJO 281 -- April 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2017 04:03

Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane will appear on Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club when it's re-released:

Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

Two of the Beatles ’ most famous songs will finally be included on Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club when the album is re-issued on June 1 to mark 50 years since its release.

Despite being written specifically for their eighth studio album, record label EMI chose to put out Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane as a double A side single. Fans were furious it never made the final collection. Regarded as one of the best albums of all time, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club won four Grammy awards, including making history as the first rock collection to be named Album Of The Year.

The album was based on a concept by Sir Paul McCartney to record as the fictional Sgt Pepper group and encouraged them to push creative boundaries after they gave up touring. The results were classic tracks With A Little Help From My Friends and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. But at the time The Beatles lost a battle with their label to keep Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane on the collection.

Talking about the tracks Sir Paul, 74, said: “ John write this absolutely amazing song Strawberry Fields Forever for the new album and I was frankly a bit jealous so I went home and wrote Penny Lane. “We wanted them as the main tracks on Sgt Pepper. “We were in another phase of our career. “We didn’t have to be performing every night so instead we could be writing or chatting with our mates or visiting an art exhibition.

Date: March 6, 2017 10:51

Sgt Fukusuke invites good fortune.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 6, 2017 12:47

Hairball
Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane will appear on Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club when it's re-released:
Wait, what? But those songs are from Magical Mystery Tour. Sgt. Pepper is a listening experience, a [cultural and personal] memory that shouldn't be messed with.

Next thing you'll tell me is they'll throw those singles from the Capitol album Hey Jude onto a re-release of the White Album next year, and ruin the flow of still another album.

If it an't broke, why fix it?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 6, 2017 18:24

Actually they are not from Magical Mystery Tour in UK. Which was two EPS. They were added to the US. They were singles prior to Sgt. Peppers. Originally, Sgt Peppers was planned to be an album about their childhood. But that changed with Macca's psychedelic idea of being a different band.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2017 18:46

whitem8
Actually they are not from Magical Mystery Tour in UK. Which was two EPS. They were added to the US. They were singles prior to Sgt. Peppers. Originally, Sgt Peppers was planned to be an album about their childhood. But that changed with Macca's psychedelic idea of being a different band.

That's the way I understood it - both Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields are reminiscent of their childhood and would have fit fine with the original 'childhood' concept. Since that 'concept' changed to an imaginary band, not sure how they will fit with Sgt. Pepper as we've come to know it. On the other hand, since it's not strictly a concept album anyways - with every tune is part of a story line - I don't think it will disrupt anything. I'm fine with the idea of including them, but wondering where they will be on the track list....will they be tacked on to the end? At the front? Will they be separated? Will the inclusion disrupt the musical flow and/or 'concept'? Will history be re-written? I don't think it think it will make the album any less, it will only make it better! It's getting better all the time!

Also, I think I read somewhere there might be outtakes and/or other demos as part of a Deluxe edition.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2017 19:19

I'd be shocked if they were included anywhere other than tacked onto the end of the record. I've never seen "bonus" tracks included anywhere else on studio records. For albums that are this much of a landmark they usually leave them intact the way the listener knows them. And there's no US/UK difference here either.

Date: March 6, 2017 19:51

Yeah, I read an interview with George Martin where he said he really wished he would have left Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on the album. They were knocked off for two other songs, and for the life of me I cant' remember which ones! I think Being for the Benefit and Good Morning?? But not sure. I think they would fit great on Sgt. Peppers. They fit the theme and feel of the album for sure. I know when they released the anniversary version of Sgt Peppers on CD they included the originally planned running order of the album in the liner notes so you could program your CD player. . .
This is a hard one though because taking those two at the end of the disc dramatically changes the end of the album with Day in the Life and the crazy backwards loop. . .

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 6, 2017 20:14

RollingFreak
And there's no US/UK difference here either.

There was a slight difference, in that the "crazy backwards loop" that whitem8 mentioned wasn't on US vinyl copies back in the day.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 6, 2017 20:29

loog droog
RollingFreak
And there's no US/UK difference here either.

There was a slight difference, in that the "crazy backwards loop" that whitem8 mentioned wasn't on US vinyl copies back in the day.

And what about the "15 Kilocycle tone" that lasted for a few seconds. This was put here to annoy your dog! Wonder if anyone ever saw their dog hear this, maybe run out of the room?

Found this:

Take, for example, the dog whistle - which humans can't hear - buried on the album's second side. "We're sitting around the studio, and one of the engineers starts talking about wavelengths, wave forms and stuff, kilohertz," McCartney recalls. "I still don't understand these things - I'm completely nontechnical. And as for John, he couldn't even change a plug - he really couldn't, you know. The engineers would be explaining to us what all this stuff was. An ultrasonic sound wave - 'a low one, you can kill people with the low ones.' We were all saying, 'Wow, man. Hey, wow.' 'And the high ones,' he said, 'only dogs can hear it.' We said, 'We gotta have it on! There's going to be one dog and his owner, and I'd just love to be there when his ears prick up.'"

And the famous "Inner Groove" - the snippet of pointless conversation that sticks in the album's run-out groove and that was not included in the original American version of "Sgt. Pepper" - has an equally zany genesis. Around the time of "Sgt. Pepper's" release, McCartney explains, "a lot of record players didn't have auto-change. You would play an album and it would go, 'Tick, tick, tick,' in the run-out groove - it would just stay there endlessly. We were whacked out so much of the time in the Sixties - just quite harmlessly, as we thought, it was quite innocent - but you would be at friends' houses, twelve at night, and nobody would be going to get up to change that record player. So we'd be getting into the little 'tick, tick, tick,': 'It's quite good, you know? There's a rhythm there.' We were into Cage and Stockhausen, those kind of people. Obviously, once you allow yourself that kind of freedom . . . well, Cage is appreciating silence, isn't he? We were appreciating the run-out groove! We said, 'What if we put something, so that every time it did that, it said something?' So we put a little loop of conversation on."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-06 20:42 by 2000 LYFH.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 6, 2017 20:41

Hairball
whitem8

That's the way I understood it - both Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields are reminiscent of their childhood and would have fit fine with the original 'childhood' concept. Since that 'concept' changed to an imaginary band, not sure how they will fit with Sgt. Pepper as we've come to know it. On the other hand, since it's not strictly a concept album anyways - with every tune is part of a story line - I don't think it will disrupt anything. I'm fine with the idea of including them, but wondering where they will be on the track list....will they be tacked on to the end? At the front? Will they be separated? Will the inclusion disrupt the musical flow and/or 'concept'? Will history be re-written? I don't think it think it will make the album any less, it will only make it better! It's getting better all the time!

Also, I think I read somewhere there might be outtakes and/or other demos as part of a Deluxe edition.

Outtakes/demos would be nice.

Reading some of the liner notes, it says that SFF and PL along with It's Only A Northern Song were all recorded in the same time frame as the rest of the album (Nov. 66 to April 67).

Date: March 6, 2017 21:43

Regarding outtakes, there is a still unreleased track called Carnival of Light, more of a sound collage that was to accompany a short 17-minute art film, which may actually have been broadcast once back then on British TV.

Macca wanted it included as part of the Anthology set, but it was blocked by another, grumpy Beatle (George). Now that all things George has passed, and with Macca controlling the reissue, it could be included.

Not sure if it was recorded during the Pepper sessions though, maybe later in '67. So maybe for a deluxe treatment of Magical Mystery Tour, which could also be this year.

Lots of outtakes from Pepper, oodles of noodles. Do you know that I have entire (bootleg) CDs devoted to Strawberry Fields and A Day In The Life alone? They could do a 5-CD deluxe version just of Sgt. Pepper!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 6, 2017 21:49

Carnival Of Light was recorded on January 5, 1967.
See here: [www.beatlesbible.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 6, 2017 21:57

Ah, OK then, thanks Deltics. Carnival may well see the light after all.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 6, 2017 22:08

I posted this in another thread a week ago.
Step inside Abbey Road Studios.

[insideabbeyroad.withgoogle.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 6, 2017 23:10

I'm pretty sure that during some of the time that Pepper was being recorded, some filming for a possible documentary was done.
Of course, the film was never released nor I suspect even got to the editing stage.
Can't remember if any of it surfaced for the Anthology video project.
Too much to expect a DVD bonus I guess?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 10, 2017 23:00

In my view there's a lot of history being re-written around re-issuing Penny Lane/Strawberry Field as part of Sgt. Pepper.

Those two tracks were released in the UK on Feb 17th 1967.

That was really really early in the overall recording of what eventually became Sgt Pepper.

Tracks recorded after that date include Sgt. Pepper, A Day In The Life, Good Morning, Mr Kite, Fixing A Hole, Lucy, Lovely Rita, Getting Better, She's Leaving Home..... at least!

It's not as if The Beatles went into Abbey Road in November 1966 with a pile of songs ready to record as a concept album and to put out as a total item together, and then had to cut two of them out of the total already written and recorded work. They happened to be available for release in February because they were the first ones done. I'd argue that the whole "Sgt.-Pepper-As-A-Concept" didn't mature until later in 1967.

In retrospect, if they had held on to the two tracks until about May 1967 when they were sorting out tracks and track order, and cut them out at that point following pressure from EMI, then there would be a case for putting them back in to the whole album. More room on a CD than on vinyl etc.

They are being put back in using the argument that "it would have been nice if they had been on Sgt Pepper" (which may of course be true), not using the argument that "they were cut out of Sgt Pepper".

What they really ought to <expletive deleted> release is "Let It Be" with the whole rooftop concert uncut. It's GOOD. Very good.

[Carnival of Light is generally considered to be one of Paul's early electro-rock mix things. The other three Beatles had very little to do with it.]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 11, 2017 19:28

Geez go to a beatles site

Date: March 11, 2017 20:58

Hmm, I don't think there's a Beatles Website like IORR. By that I mean activity like here. Anyone know if there is?

Date: March 12, 2017 01:29

Hopefully there is so that this nonsense is transferred over there

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 12, 2017 09:02

jlowe
I'm pretty sure that during some of the time that Pepper was being recorded, some filming for a possible documentary was done.
Of course, the film was never released nor I suspect even got to the editing stage.
Can't remember if any of it surfaced for the Anthology video project.
Too much to expect a DVD bonus I guess?

All I know about is the footage thats been used in A Day In The Life promo. I forget thats footage of them specifically recording that song, or other parts of the album, but needless to say that at least THAT was filmed. Some studio footage, even if its just for that one song, does exist.

Date: March 12, 2017 16:34

potus43
Geez go to a beatles site
Geez go post on a thread you are interested in! Mick Scary is back.

Date: March 12, 2017 17:56

A life? Try to get one! Hee hee. Maybe you can find it on a Beatles site and stay there.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 12, 2017 20:07

mickscarey, you've been on this anti-Beatles campaign on here for what, 10 years now? Give it up already. Go outside, enjoy life.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 13, 2017 16:52

is mickscarey still around have not heard that one in a while

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home