Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 223
Re: OT: The Beatles videos officially released on DVD/Blu-Ray at last
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 17, 2015 17:40

CaptainCorella
swimtothemoon
RollingFreak
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Great. Now where's Let It Be?

It would be great to have, but ultimately they are probably right not to release it. It was such a promising goal, and the outcome was exactly NOT what you'd want to see. I'd love to have it as a hardcore fan, but from a marketing standpoint, you are releasing a product that literally shows the disintegration of the world's favorite band. The bottom line is its really a video that should have never come out, because its not something the world should see. Its these 4 guys saying things in the moment that is really for them and not for an audience. Thats why it makes complete sense that McCartney and Ringo never think its a right time to re-release it. It wouldn't ever make sense to release the break up of your band to the world.

Again, having said that, I'd like to see a great restoration of it, and I'm sure I will cause I'm lucky enough that I'm sure it comes out after these guys are dead. But from any other standpoint other than being a completist, there's absolutely no reason for it to come out again and its a pipe dream to think it will while Paul and Ringo are alive.

The surprise rooftop show(last public Beatles performance) is a classic. This
Is reason enough to release Let It Be. I wonder if there is not additional
surviving footage?

As I remember the film does not flatter Paul. This is probably the reason it
has not been released. It was released on RCA video disc in the 80's though.

A couple of years ago I acquired a DVD copy of 'Let It Be'. Obviously a bootleg, but as it was presumably from a Laserdisc source its quality is very good. (But not as good as the quality of the bits of the already fully restored 'Let It Be' that have been released).

When I sat down to watch it I was fully expecting it to be excruciating in its detailing of the breakup of The Beatles.

Nothing of the kind.

Sure, there are a few bits that are, how can I put it, awkward - but my overall impression was that it was well worth a more general release. IN NO way does Paul come across as a villain. Neither does Yoko - who seems fairly harmless other than being around perhaps a bit too much.

Michael Parkinson (UK TV chat show host) - well I think it was him - tells a tale about sitting next to Paul on an aircraft and chatting about things, and when he (Parkinson) mentioned that it was a shame 'Let It Be' hadn't been released, Paul expressed surprise and thought that it had.

So, I reckon that the general view that Paul is blocking it because it damages his public image as 'All Round Good Bloke' is flawed.

It could either be presented as originally shown in cinemas, with the ENTIRE rooftop concert as an extra, or the film could be re-edited to include the entire concert in place of the snipped version.

Paul is a smart man. I don't think he was going to reveal to a chat show host on a plane the reason for it not being out. If he says "yeah it's too bad but I can't tell you why" then that is super awkward. Easiest to pretend he didn't know.

I Wish the Stones would copy this Beatles move
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 4, 2015 21:23

They are re-releasing "1". How about the Stones release something like 40 licks with a companion DVD of all the video clips!

[www.forbes.com]

Re: I Wish the Stones would copy this Beatles move
Date: October 4, 2015 22:29

Lynd8
They are re-releasing "1". How about the Stones release something like 40 licks with a companion DVD of all the video clips!

[www.forbes.com]

there's no doubt that they will be. after 53 years, old habits die hard.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 4, 2015 23:41

Lynd8

[www.forbes.com]

Why the f+++! should they?

"Since the band’s demise, the material has been variously packaged, with lessons for record companies looking to milk the cash cows of other artists."
The Stones are touring & working (so the plans say) why should they sell out on their legacy?

beetles though, always come ot of the dung.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 00:09

Why shouldn't they? There are many far lesser bands (including the Beatles LOL) with nice video compilations. I'd like to see a nice Blu-Ray release covering many of the cool old clips like Dandelion right up the humorous Start Me Up

[www.youtube.com]

"Since the band’s demise, the material has been variously packaged, with lessons for record companies looking to milk the cash cows of other artists."
The Stones are touring & working (so the plans say) why should they sell out on their legacy?

beetles though, always come ot of the dung.[/quote]

Date: October 5, 2015 00:10

open-g
Lynd8

[www.forbes.com]

what do you call the deluxe editions, the countless greatest hits albums, and the countless live albums from the stones if not milking their cash cows?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 5, 2015 01:32

Check out the video posted above of Start Me Up. It's hilarious and gives us, perhaps, the first taste of the Stones as poseurs. Charlie and Bill are great. Both of them have the same thing in their head re MJ, KR, RW as they watch them: Can you believe this b-s?

As for the idea of the Stones doing what's going to be done with the Beatles 1 album, why not? It would be pretty cool to see the changes the Stones have gone through, clips we don't remember, photos, etc.

And, for what it's worth, the Beatles 1 is a great collection to just put on and play when you're doing things, playing, partying, etc. Tell me you don't sing along with a number of the Beatles songs as the album rolls by. You can do the same with Hot Rocks and 40 Licks, but in some ways, IMHO, you get a different vibe with the Beatles music.

Date: October 5, 2015 01:34

Turner68
open-g
Lynd8

[www.forbes.com]

what do you call the deluxe editions, the countless greatest hits albums, and the countless live albums from the stones if not milking their cash cows?

I think you forgot to add *drops mic* winking smiley

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 02:08

It would be nice. Also, speaking of copying moves by The Beatles, I'd like a full-length truly careerwise documentary series made by the Stones to be more like The Beatles Anthology. 25x5 and Crossfire Hurricane are great films, but I always felt there was something lacking. It'd be nice to have a multi-part career-spanning doc series to reflect on everything, especially seeing Mick's evasiveness about himself, Ronnie's storytelling stretches, Keith's absolute looseness and blunt honesty, and Charlie's quiet grace, along with Bill's absolute encyclopedic memory and Mick Taylor's just shrugging his shoulders and just contributing where he could. At the very least, it'd be good to see them give this treatment for the post-Tattoo You period, to hear everyone's take on Mick's solo career, the ugly public feud, everyone else's reaction to Talk Is Cheap, the rebirth of Steel Wheels, Bill's leave, Keith and Ronnie's near-death experiences, and so on.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2015 02:16

Lynd8

Better yet, why not something equivalent to ANTHOLOGY 1-3?!!! COME ON!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:12

Yes, the Stones could do such a fantastic Anthology documentary! But the problem is, they need a historian! Someone to come in and work on it, which will take time and money. The Beatles invested a lot of money and time into their Anthology project, which was actually started in the early 70s (known then as The Long and Winding Road). And it would take Mick and Keith to be partnering and agreeing on some parameters. It would be a fantastic!

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 19:24

Imagine how long an equivalent Stones Anthology would be though. It would make Ben Hur seem like an advert.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2015 19:43

Roll73
Imagine how long an equivalent Stones Anthology would be though. It would make Ben Hur seem like an advert.

It could be divided into four main parts with different chapters in each.

The Early Years ('62-'67).
The Golden Years ('68 - '74)
The Latter Years ('75 - '81)
The Wasted Years ('82-Present)

Date: October 5, 2015 21:00

Well I think the first would be the Brian Jones era, then Taylor, then Woodie.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 9, 2015 12:50

In remembrance to John Lennon - he would have been 75 Years old today.

Date: October 9, 2015 12:59

thumbs up

Date: October 9, 2015 13:38

Above us only sky........

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 9, 2015 13:59

Irix

In remembrance to John Lennon - he would have been 75 Years old today.

Yes.
What a great artist.

OT: J Winston Lennon would've been 75 today
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 10, 2015 00:43

Didn't see this noted. Not my fave of the Fab Four (George was the man), but he did some great stuff.

With the Beatles, my fave:

[www.youtube.com]

On his own. The words are still so true.

[www.youtube.com]

I also love Marianne Faithfull's version of the above Lennon song. Great album it's on.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: J Winston Lennon would've been 75 today
Date: October 10, 2015 00:46

Making his way across the universe

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 10, 2015 00:49

Turner68
Making his way across the universe

nicely done, turner 68

yes, i thought of john lennon today too

happy birthday!

Date: October 10, 2015 00:54

Best rock singer and song writer ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-10 18:55 by bv.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 10, 2015 01:01

Love & light to John, and thanks & praises

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 10, 2015 01:36

Yer Blues, John.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 10, 2015 01:51

stanlove
dmay
Didn't see this noted. Not my fave of the Fab Four (George was the man), but On his own. The words are still so true.

[www.youtube.com]
M

Lennon was nothing but a professional complainer. The words to that song are garbage. They were then and they still are..

God you again! Don't be such a dick and just don't post on Lennon stuff. Move on.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 10, 2015 02:02

John's life was cut short almost 35 years ago. He was only 40 with half his life in front of him. His final album showed he had lost much of the anger and angst
of his early 70's albums. He had moved on from the "bed peace" days. His musical vision, creative drive and musical talent was, and still is, amazing.

Date: October 10, 2015 02:16

To celebrate his life, and if you like vinyl, pick up the recent Lennon box set. The pressings are superb! The mix from the analog master tapes and transferred flawlessly. Plastic Ono band sounds like Lennon is slugging you with his guitar. Full on, classic raunchy riff Lennon. You hear a lot of Keith with that tone and style. Amazing stuff. If your into vinyl and like Lennon, or are starting to collect Lennon, get it. You'll love it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 10, 2015 02:40

stanlove
Turner68
stanlove
dmay
Didn't see this noted. Not my fave of the Fab Four (George was the man), but On his own. The words are still so true.

[www.youtube.com]
M

Lennon was nothing but a professional complainer. The words to that song are garbage. They were then and they still are..

Best rock singer and song writer ever.

Great singer, great songwriter ( not in Dylan's league ) but a self promoting narcissistic and professional complainer. A man with no answers just complaints. Oh wait that's right all we have to do is lay in bad for Peace and all we need is love. I take that back he had all kinds of great solutions..Thats sarcasm.

Nothing like a Lennon thread to get stanlove back on the warpath. Dude we are all imperfect, there is no doubt in my mind the world is a better place with Lennon's songs and influence. Nothing wrong with peace and love, have you got a better message for humanity?

Lennon never claimed to have the answers, knew he was just a famous musician but like Dylan was uncomfortable with people assuming he had the answers. I think complaining about the problems is the first step to solving them, so in my mind he served a purpose above and beyond the music. Perhaps your obvious negativity about the man is based on your own expectations of what he should have done with his fame besides the music.

Stanlove, I think you might enjoy Russel Brand's Messiah Complex comedy routine. It's an hour and a half of pure hilariousness built around people like Ghandi who we have raised to a level of worship possibly beyond reasonableness, he is not always kind but it is a gas! Check it out on YouTube.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 10, 2015 02:47

RESPECT and APPRECIATION for JOHN LENNON.

Hard to IMAGINE he'd be 75 years old today...

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 10, 2015 03:44

Love John

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home