Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 223
Re: beatles white album or stones exile on main st.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:22

I actually like THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES more than SGT. PEPPER. But I know that SGT. PEPPER is a better album. Goodness and my personal preference do not always go hand in hand.

With that logic I can say that EXILE is better than THE WHITE ALBUM, despite the fact that I like it also way much better.

Simple.smoking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:33

Both!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:37

Doxa
I actually like THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES more than SGT. PEPPER. But I know that SGT. PEPPER is a better album. Goodness and my personal preference do not always go hand in hand.

With that logic I can say that EXILE is better than THE WHITE ALBUM, despite the fact that I like it also way much better.

Simple.smoking smiley

- Doxa

All 4 are ace!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:38

its good to be anywhere
Not a big fan of Exile, I think it is way overrated. The White album is a masterpiece although I absolutely agree that cuts like Why don't we do it in the road and Honey Pie are utter Shite...
Yup. Exile has just as much filler as White Album. They could both be single albums. At that point, it just ends up being personal preference. Whether you want an amazing single rock record with Exile or a single overall great musical record with The Beatles. I think the White Album is the better one even though I prefer Exile.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:59

Exile, overrated? Filler?
Who are you people?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:04

2000man
Who are you people?

Idiots, that's who they are! Just ignore them.....

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:06

Exile by a long shot! Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't like rock n roll.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:22

Both!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:33

His Majesty
Doxa

Simple.smoking smiley

- Doxa

All 4 are ace!

I like your logic here Doxa. I don't like J.S. Bach's music that much, but I know it's great music. So quality is in fact for a big part indeed objective! And even the terms better and worse are not totally subjective in art, but for a great deal objective (StonesTod wouldn't agree I know).

I don't know the White Album, to be honest, but the other three are top indeed. Well, gonna listen to that Beatles WA right now!

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:36

2000man
Who are you people?

I'd known I'd heard the dilemma about reducing the White album to one record discussed before, I guess history say George Martin suggested it. I have NEVER heard this discussed about Exile on Mainstreet.

[www.friktech.com]

For some reason, for many years people on rec.music.beatles and later bloggers have speculated about what might have been the lineup of the White Album (officially called The Beatles) had George Martin's suggestion been taken to reduce the collection to one album's worth of songs. For many years, I refrained from this exercise because I did not like the usual notion of simply choosing the songs that one likes best.

Date: November 6, 2013 22:39

strat72
Exile by a long shot! Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't like rock n roll.

thumbs up Yep, I'll give the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, all those guys, Dylan, Hendrix, Doors, Who, Cream, their credit. And give the Stones credit too. Really half-baked idea to say the same thing about Exile that Beatles fans have discussed about the White Album for years.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:42

Probably Exile though it's not my favourite Stones album..

If I was comparing it'd be Sticky Fingers vs Abbey Road... I don't know which I'd choose!

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: November 6, 2013 23:06

Newsflash: You can have and enjoy both.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 6, 2013 23:11

BroomWagon

I'd known I'd heard the dilemma about reducing the White album to one record discussed before, I guess history say George Martin suggested it. I have NEVER heard this discussed about Exile on Mainstreet.

It's been talked about here quite a few times.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 6, 2013 23:27

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 6, 2013 23:46

I love the expansiveness of the "White" album, the variations and the many shades, like a kaleidoscopic funhouse ride through varying shapes and forms where no one song sounds exactly like the other.

It also marks a turning point in The Beatles because it is the last time where Lennon is prolifically productive as a songwriter in the band. Most of the songs were written in India in early 1968, and when John, Paul, and George convened at George's house in May for "the Esher demos", where they recorded some 23 tracks on a reel-to-reel in George's living room, John had brought to the table nearly half the number of songs they recorded.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: November 6, 2013 23:50

NOT...EVEN..CLOSE.

Stones heads and tails way way way better

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 6, 2013 23:51

duke richardson
Exile has far more appeal to me..personally, I haven't listened to the White Album in years..but I listen to Exile often..

This. I got burnt out on later period Beatles years ago. The most enjoyable stuff of theirs now to me is the Hard Day's Night thru Rubber Soul stuff. Exile needs no explanationcool smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 7, 2013 01:26

I do love the White Album, as well as Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Let It Be and a few other giant Beatles albums BUT there's no comparison really---EXILE all the way!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2013 01:26

strat72
2000man
Who are you people?

Idiots, that's who they are! Just ignore them.....

That's not kind...Rolling Freak is youthful...it takes some time to totally appreciate EOMS.

Let us not forget even the critics took a while to warm to it. When I was in my teens early twenties, the only songs I liked were the fast and the slow songs, nothing in between. Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Turd on the Run, Rip This Joint and maybe Shine A Light. You build your enthusiasm around the more immediately accessible cuts and the rest fills in nicely.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 7, 2013 01:48

its like asking which of your kids you like best........

White Album is my all time favorite--- still knocks me out

Exile is an always "go-to" disc in those hot steamy summer months ( like to pretend I'm in Nellcotte ! )

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 7, 2013 01:55

its good to be anywhere
Not a big fan of Exile, I think it is way overrated. The White album is a masterpiece although I absolutely agree that cuts like Why don't we do it in the road and Honey Pie are utter Shite...

This, except the exact opposite regarding Exile, the White Album, Why Don't We Do It In the Road, and Honey Pie. Totally agree otherwise. grinning smiley

Needless to say, Exile has been my favorite album ever since the moment it hit my turntable in 1972, and I still play it constantly.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 7, 2013 02:37

Seriously? The White Album is full of chocolate sweet gooey tones and novelty songs.

Exile is a masterpiece.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 7, 2013 02:40

I prefer or think Sgt. Pepper's album a better comparison (even though it is only one LP as oppoased to two on the White Album).

But anyway...um, I'm going to get killed here but I think The Beatles (the 'White Album') is better overall song by song than Stones 'Exile.' Alright, perhaps for pure rock, then 'Exile' is better...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2013 02:41

Revolution 9 is f**king brilliant.

Uneven album, though. The high points are as majestic as ever but it has too much filler. George Martin was right in suggesting to them that they should have trimmed the fat and kept it as a single album. The 'half songs' on it dont work as well as they do on the superior Abbey Road (their best album IMO and one of the greatest three or four albums made by anyone)

Exile on the other hand - I wouldnt change a note of it. Its perfect.

Maybe not fair to compare them both just because they're double LPs, as the White album is about 25 minutes and 12 songs longer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-07 02:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2013 02:46

bob r
its like asking which of your kids you like best........

My favourite son is called Exile, oddly enough. The runt of my litter is called Satanic.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 7, 2013 03:32

Love both Exile and The Beatles. So much so I just sprung cpl hundred bucks for a mono vinyl set of the first pressing of The Beatles. BRILLIANT sounding album, that yes, has a cpl of dubious songs (incl #9) but when it's ON, it's really ON! Birthday, WHilst my Guitar, Revolution, Good Night, Glass Onion (superb, totally under-rated song!), Helter Skelter, Julia, USSR... just unbelievably GREAT songs.

Exile? What can you say? It's a classic. SOUNDS like the 70's and SOUNDS like The Stones. Wonderful production, superb songs, magnificent musicianship. Not much I dont like, and I LOVE Shine a Light, Rocks Off, Dice, Soul Survivor, Let it Loose (my FAVE!) and Sweet Black Angel - just awesome.

Cant choose between the two - depends on the day I am having. Crappy - Exile picks me up. Good day - The Beatles tops it off.

Rgds
Rod

Date: November 7, 2013 04:30

Okay, that's cool, different strokes for different folks.

"Let it loose" has probably brought tears to my eyes, I've been able to get into it so much. " "Tumbling Dice" has been at times, my favorite RS song.

Not a real contest to me.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 7, 2013 04:36

EOMS has no filler and IMO is much better album than the Beatles. The White Album is overrated. It contains 9 minutes of jibberish with Revolution 9 however it is still a great album but EOMS is the better one.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 7, 2013 04:38

Exile. And it's not close for me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home