Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 223
Re: OT..The Beatles still amaze me
Date: September 28, 2013 04:01

keefriffhard4life
JumpinJackOLantern
Big Al
JumpinJackOLantern

They most definitely cast a giant shadow. The Stones were in that shadow for some time, worked their way out of it and then gradually pulled shoulder to shoulder with them. Finally, after 51 years the Stones did the seemingly impossible and surged ahead of them with their historic '50 and Counting tour (the pinnacle and defining moment of that tour taking place at Glastonbury this past summer). Of course it won't become "official" for at least another ten years.

Surged ahead of the Beatles? Err, no. The Glastonbury performance is already forgotten by everyone except die-hard bleeding-heart obsessives and those who happened to catch them at the festival. The Beatles will continue to be the most important and most influential pop phenomenon of our lifetime and beyond.

The legend of the '50 and Counting tour (the pinnacle and defining moment being Glastonbury) is still in it's infancy and will continue to grow as the years roll by, especially after the Stones are finally done. In about ten years or so a panel of rock historians and experts will be assembled to determine who actually was the greatest rock 'n roll band of all time. It is my belief that the Stones will emerge victorious. Granted, if you assembled that panel today the Beatles would probably come out on top, but once the Stones have finished, and with a significant passage of time, the Stones achievements will be viewed in their proper light. The Stones achieving 50 years was crucial and to perform at such a high level at 70 years of age was absolutely remarkable. It may appear that the Beatles have the edge, but that is just an illusion. Time will take care of that, of that I am certain.

you take best drugs on anyone on the forum

It will all make more sense to you as the years roll by. Probably the best thing the Stones could do to speed up the process is to retire, effective immediately. Once they are done, (especially if one or more should happen to die) they will become like gods. They are practically living gods as it is. Can you imagine what they will become when they are no longer with us? No, I am not on drugs. I see the future clearly.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 28, 2013 04:16

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
I agree. To hold the #1 position for 51 years (before being overtaken by The Stones at Glastonbury) is truly amazing. They will always have my love and respect. They are truly the 2nd greatest rock 'n roll band of all time!
I'm just curious. How is it that the Stones' appearance at a festival that didn't even exist during The Beatles' time was the catalyst for them overtaking The Beatles? Is it because of their age? If that's the case, why didn't they overtake them during this last tour? Or the previous tour? Or the tour before that? Or the one before that? How come their appearance at the Isle of Wight Festival in 2007 didn't push them past The Beatles?

This has all been explained over and over and over and over and over and over......

Amazing. Simply amazing.

BRAVO! BRAVOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Gumboot. Breaking on through to the other side, like a few others aroudn here, as usual.

Date: September 28, 2013 04:18

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
I wonder, if The Stones continue touring into their 80s, will JumpinJackOLantern declare that they are officially greater than sex?

For us old farts 70 and upwards they are definitely greater than sex! But not quite as good as a good bowel movement! smiling smiley

That has to be the saddest comment of all time here at iorr.org.

Date: September 28, 2013 04:19

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
I agree. To hold the #1 position for 51 years (before being overtaken by The Stones at Glastonbury) is truly amazing. They will always have my love and respect. They are truly the 2nd greatest rock 'n roll band of all time!
I'm just curious. How is it that the Stones' appearance at a festival that didn't even exist during The Beatles' time was the catalyst for them overtaking The Beatles? Is it because of their age? If that's the case, why didn't they overtake them during this last tour? Or the previous tour? Or the tour before that? Or the one before that? How come their appearance at the Isle of Wight Festival in 2007 didn't push them past The Beatles?

This has all been explained over and over and over and over and over and over......
No, it hasn't. I don't recall you ever mentioning the Isle of Wight Festival. That's why I asked. How come their appearance at that festival, a festival that many of their contemporaries have performed at, wasn't the one that pushed them past The Beatles? Unlike Glastonbury, this festival actually dates back to the late 60s. But it wasn't until 2007 that The Stones performed there. Wasn't that a historic gig? If it was, why wasn't it so historic that it pushed them past The Beatles? I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on that.

Or did you have to wait until Mick turned 70 before you could declare them the greatest? Why that number? Why not 60? or 50?

Based on everything I have written on this subject what is your best guess as to why you think I didn't "crown" them (in my own mind) six years ago in 2007? If your guess is incorrect then I will provide you with the correct one.

Gumboot, I'm unhappy to inform you - or perhaps happy to inform you, ha ha! - that whatever you say won't be "right"!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAH AHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Date: September 28, 2013 04:21

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

Amazing. Simply amazing.

BRAVO! BRAVOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Gumboot. Breaking on through to the other side, like a few others around here, as usual.

Like children, a few of you have to be told over, and over, and over, and over, and over. The good news is that most eventually catch on. You being the one exception, of course. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 28, 2013 04:26

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
I wonder, if The Stones continue touring into their 80s, will JumpinJackOLantern declare that they are officially greater than sex?

For us old farts 70 and upwards they are definitely greater than sex! But not quite as good as a good bowel movement! smiling smiley

You will get there someday young man. I promise.

Re: Beatles v Stones
Posted by: chop ()
Date: September 28, 2013 04:45

What helps the Beatles legacy is that they never had a proper reunion, so we're just left to speculate as to how great it would've been (maybe it would've sucked who knows)

John died young. George passed when he should've had so much life to go...with them gone it sort of elevated the Beatles legend even higher. Plus you don't speak ill of the dead.

What if all 4 were still around, nearing elderly age and still sniping each other in the press...maybe we'd look at the Beatles and say "man they're pathetic, still can't get it together"

Date: September 28, 2013 04:47

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
Big Al
JumpinJackOLantern

They most definitely cast a giant shadow. The Stones were in that shadow for some time, worked their way out of it and then gradually pulled shoulder to shoulder with them. Finally, after 51 years the Stones did the seemingly impossible and surged ahead of them with their historic '50 and Counting tour (the pinnacle and defining moment of that tour taking place at Glastonbury this past summer). Of course it won't become "official" for at least another ten years.

Surged ahead of the Beatles? Err, no. The Glastonbury performance is already forgotten by everyone except die-hard bleeding-heart obsessives and those who happened to catch them at the festival. The Beatles will continue to be the most important and most influential pop phenomenon of our lifetime and beyond.

The legend of the '50 and Counting tour (the pinnacle and defining moment being Glastonbury) is still in it's infancy and will continue to grow as the years roll by, especially after the Stones are finally done. In about ten years or so a panel of rock historians and experts will be assembled to determine who actually was the greatest rock 'n roll band of all time. It is my belief that the Stones will emerge victorious. Granted, if you assembled that panel today the Beatles would probably come out on top, but once the Stones have finished, and with a significant passage of time, the Stones achievements will be viewed in their proper light. The Stones achieving 50 years was crucial and to perform at such a high level at 70 years of age was absolutely remarkable. It may appear that the Beatles have the edge, but that is just an illusion. Time will take care of that, of that I am certain.

PS: Does this answer your question, gumboot?

Well, as usual, I answer your question; then you vanish into thin air.

Date: September 28, 2013 04:48

chop
What helps the Beatles legacy is that they never had a proper reunion, so we're just left to speculate as to how great it would've been (maybe it would've sucked who knows)

John died young. George passed when he should've had so much life to go...with them gone it sort of elevated the Beatles legend even higher. Plus you don't speak ill of the dead.

What if all 4 were still around, nearing elderly age and still sniping each other in the press...maybe we'd look at the Beatles and say "man they're pathetic, still can't get it together"

Excellent points. thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 28, 2013 04:55

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern

I'm Batman

You may have answered my question but it only created more questions.

Date: September 28, 2013 04:57

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern

I'm Batman

Ask now, while you have the opportunity, because after November 11, I will probably be gone.

Date: September 28, 2013 05:00

No thanks.
I'll make sure to stop by here for your millionth farewell party, though!

Date: September 28, 2013 05:16

GumbootCloggeroo
No thanks.
I'll make sure to stop by here for your millionth farewell party, though!

Are you planning to leave?

Date: September 28, 2013 05:28

Yeah, I'm going away for awhile. But I'll be back on Sept. 28, 2013.
No no, there's no need to create a farewell thread on my behalf. I appreciate the offer, though! You're very kind.

Date: September 28, 2013 05:36

GumbootCloggeroo
Yeah, I'm going away for awhile. But I'll be back on Sept. 28, 2013.
No no, there's no need to create a farewell thread on my behalf. I appreciate the offer, though! You're very kind.

I give all credit to The Lone Ranger. I watched the TV series when I was a kid. It's called: The Code Of The Lone Ranger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 05:37 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 28, 2013 16:06

JumpinJackOLantern
keefriffhard4life
JumpinJackOLantern
Big Al
JumpinJackOLantern

you take best drugs on anyone on the forum

It will all make more sense to you as the years roll by. Probably the best thing the Stones could do to speed up the process is to retire, effective immediately. Once they are done, (especially if one or more should happen to die) they will become like gods. They are practically living gods as it is. Can you imagine what they will become when they are no longer with us? No, I am not on drugs. I see the future clearly.

Mick, is that you?

Date: September 29, 2013 15:56

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

No, it hasn't. I don't recall you ever mentioning the Isle of Wight Festival. That's why I asked. How come their appearance at that festival, a festival that many of their contemporaries have performed at, wasn't the one that pushed them past The Beatles? Unlike Glastonbury, this festival actually dates back to the late 60s. But it wasn't until 2007 that The Stones performed there. Wasn't that a historic gig? If it was, why wasn't it so historic that it pushed them past The Beatles? I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on that.

Or did you have to wait until Mick turned 70 before you could declare them the greatest? Why that number? Why not 60? or 50?

Based on everything I have written on this subject what is your best guess as to why you think I didn't "crown" them (in my own mind) six years ago in 2007? If your guess is incorrect then I will provide you with the correct one.

Gumboot, I'm unhappy to inform you - or perhaps happy to inform you, ha ha! - that whatever you say won't be "right"!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAH AHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gaslight, as my #1 follower (Gumboot being #2) I bet you can't wait to hear what lies ahead in October! They don't call me Mr. October for nothing! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 29, 2013 16:03

2-1 to the Stones on overtime. Last goal by Chuck Leavell.

Date: September 29, 2013 17:33

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

No one could possibly achieve the high level of patheticness you have. You are the only one on the only pedestal for that.

Date: September 29, 2013 17:34

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern

I'm Batman

Ask now, while you have the opportunity, because after November 11, I will probably be gone.

October, November... whateverember. Lies, as usual.

Date: September 29, 2013 18:03

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

No one could possibly achieve the high level of patheticness you have. You are the only one on the only pedestal for that.

Enjoy your youth, young man.

Date: September 29, 2013 18:07

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

I don't have interest in your ancient dusty boring petty morals.

Date: September 29, 2013 18:12

JumpingWhack meeting Mighty50QuotingMyself in a Beatles box grid street crossing in another failed attempt at how the Stones have moved out of the shadow of the Beatles because of one festival show.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 29, 2013 18:12

I'm looking forward to the October moon. Seems to be big things afoot then...

Date: September 29, 2013 18:19

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern

I'm Batman

October, November... whateverember. Lies, as usual.

Seriously, if the Stones don't remove that overdub to the intro to SMU at Hyde Park (on the soon to be released DVD) I will be moving on. I have let them know how I feel about it, so lets hope they "do the right thing" and restore the original.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 29, 2013 18:27

lol, what in the wide wide world of sports?

Date: September 29, 2013 18:29

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

I don't have interest in your ancient dusty boring petty morals.

I suggest you begin watching episodes of the 50's television series the Lone Ranger. I am recommending the box set with all 221 episodes. It might teach you a thing or two about respecting those that are much older and wiser than you.

Date: September 29, 2013 19:11

Stoneage
I'm looking forward to the October moon. Seems to be big things afoot then...

Only 19 days to go!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 29, 2013 19:25

Not even close. Stones are the greatest ever. Beatles were kinda puffy and soft. Bubble gum - safe.

Date: September 29, 2013 19:30

michaelsavage
Not even close. Stones are the greatest ever. Beatles were kinda puffy and soft. Bubble gum - safe.

Savage over Limbaugh!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home