Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wingless Angels revisited
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:08

I can't stop listening to these two disks these days - what gorgeous music,
and what a wonderful space to linger in! Like a warm bath for the mind & sssoul

Among all the other beautiful wonders going on, Keith's guitar and bass are just freakin marvelous

Question: I've looked over the liner notes and although it lists the musicians I don't see any track-by-track line-ups.
So how do I know from a mile away when it's Keith on bass?

A] Because he's Keith Richards, that's how.
B] Because me love the man.
C] All of the above.

Thanks & praises, Wingless Angels. Thanks & praises, Keith, and all kinds of blessings on you, for good

Re: Wingless Angels revisited
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:09

I really liked those records too

Date: September 25, 2013 14:26

If the word "honest" may be used about music, these are the albums when it's appropriate, imo thumbs up

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:48

That's it. These are all the reviews I need. I'll give them a listen.smiling smiley

Date: September 25, 2013 14:57

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2013 15:17

....................................................................................................................................................................................... Carry Go Bring Come

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 25, 2013 15:51

No need to revisit: two superb recordings that are on heavy rotation since their release.

C

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:28

Regarding the bass tracks, I have no info, but I'd hazard that it's K.R. playing all of the bass. From the liner notes of the first album, it seems that the only overdubs were the fiddle and Keith's parts, the original "ensemble" recording was vocals and percussion.

I could well be wrong, though...

Great music, and without Keith's involvement it would be all but unheard (even unrecorded!) outside of Jamaica!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:56

Thanks for the reminder, listening to it now!

Date: September 25, 2013 17:42

Denny
Regarding the bass tracks, I have no info, but I'd hazard that it's K.R. playing all of the bass

On Volume 1 Keith is indeed the only bass player, but on Volume 2 there's another one listed as well.
I'm not really asking which tracks are Keith, though - he comes through unmistakable.

Beautiful stuff

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: September 26, 2013 03:07

From a 2010 Jambands.com review:

First of all, boys and girls, a little bit of complete disclosure: the original Wingless Angels album (released in 1997) has received its fair share of play around the cabin here over the years – it’s good Sunday morning music. What’s even better is having a visitor ask, “That’s a cool vibe – who is that?” because that sets you up to casually reply, “Oh, you know: just Keith Richards and some of his Rasta buds,” and watch their heads spin around like a barn owl.

I bring this up mainly because it feels like the secret is out now. Whereas the first Wingless Angels album just sort of eased out into the world – you either knew about it or you didn’t – Wingless Angels II is getting the kind of attention that music like this deserves.

Woah – hang that cynical attitude on the nail by the door, my friend. I heard you mutter, “Oh, yeah – Keith puts out a smoke-filled recording of him and a bunch of his Jamaican weed buddies partying and the world calls it ‘vital’ just ‘cause it’s got a Stone on it.”

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Doesn’t matter what your zip code is, the color of your skin, who you believe is (or isn’t) watching over us all, or how many years you’ve been on this planet this time around – this music will make your bones hum with its pureness if you let it. Core-of-the-earth drumbeats and ancient melodies that were first uttered way back when this ol’ earth looked a lot different are the key elements to the sound of the Wingless Angels.

Born from seed planted back in 1972 (the Stones had crash-landed in Jamaica at that point to mellow out after their post-Exile US tour and begin work on Goats Head Soup), the friendship between Richards and the loose band of Rastafarian drummers and singers evolved because of his spirit and being. The Stones didn’t mean anything to them. When Keef was first invited to sit in on some of the Rastas’ musical sessions, it was as a guest listener, not a musical participant. And when he was eventually given the nod to join the circle, he did it with respect and appreciation – not as a rock star.

Read the entire review HERE.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: September 26, 2013 03:29

I love'm and play them regularly, music for the soul IMO.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2013 06:02

with sssoul
I can't stop listening to these two disks these days - what gorgeous music,

I think they're great too. I haven't listened to them in a year or so, but when I did these discs were on constant 'repeat'.

Date: September 26, 2013 13:17

Thanks for posting that review, OlRiddim.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 26, 2021 18:57

I love those records...more than ever!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 26, 2021 19:39

what I like is the reviewers and others who say "its just keith and some rasta buds", when actually its Justin Hinds and his friends, Justin Hinds is a legend in ska rocksteady and reggae days all rolled into one. It isn't some anonymous "rasta buds" at all. Check into Justin Hinds history and you will find some spectacular music from one of the originators of the style.

RIP Justin, you left us way too early. Steertown is just not the same with you and your angelic presence.

jb

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 28, 2021 18:24

One of my favorite things to listen to when I'm sitting on the balcony of a condo on the beach while on vacation and sipping a rum drink and doing some reading.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 28, 2021 19:09

kovach
One of my favorite things to listen to when I'm sitting on the balcony of a condo on the beach while on vacation and sipping a rum drink and doing some reading.

smileys with beer

I can listen this song in loop h24!!!!
[youtu.be]

I'm searching for the lyrics...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-28 19:13 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 29, 2021 09:29

....so good for the heart .... an soul

ROCKMAN

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: April 29, 2021 15:32

Anybody have a link to the second album?

Date: April 29, 2021 15:34

quietbeatle
Anybody have a link to the second album?

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: April 29, 2021 15:41

Thanks but meant a DL link but all good I found one.

Date: April 29, 2021 15:49

It's an official relase smiling smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 29, 2021 17:58

I think the second release is distinctly inferior to the first. Seems way more produced and overdubbed while the first one sounded like it was from the heart. Still, second is worthwhile just doesn't have the nyabinghi authenticity of the first.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home