Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: 1960s Bands That Could Still Tour With ALL Of Their Original Members
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 24, 2013 21:48

Kinks bassist Pete Quaife passed away a few years ago, and Cooper guitarist Glen Buxton died in the 90's.

Re: OT - Bands the have gone on without key members.
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:02

RockinJive
NoCode0680
mr_dja
Lynyrd Skynyrd post plane crash.

They weren't successful with any new material or anything though, they were successful as a tribute act to the members who died.

Totally agree.

& They're still successful as a tribute act. I won't debate that their new material (yes they actually do still release new material) is anywhere near the level of the pre-crash material but, here in the Southeast USA, there are still MANY fans who will pack arenas & festivals, buy T-shirts AND albums/CDs. Note: I'm not one of those fans but have many friends who, although there is almost always a disclaimer, will admit/claim to still enjoying the band and buying their albums. All power to those fans, I say. After all, I'm a huge fan of the Rolling Stones who some say really aren't all that successful with much of their new material and aren't much more than a nostalgic live act themselves. (Damn that was kind of painful to admit/type)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:10

mr_dja
RockinJive
NoCode0680
mr_dja
Lynyrd Skynyrd post plane crash.

They weren't successful with any new material or anything though, they were successful as a tribute act to the members who died.

Totally agree.

& They're still successful as a tribute act. I won't debate that their new material (yes they actually do still release new material) is anywhere near the level of the pre-crash material but, here in the Southeast USA, there are still MANY fans who will pack arenas & festivals, buy T-shirts AND albums/CDs. Note: I'm not one of those fans but have many friends who, although there is almost always a disclaimer, will admit/claim to still enjoying the band and buying their albums. All power to those fans, I say. After all, I'm a huge fan of the Rolling Stones who some say really aren't all that successful with much of their new material and aren't much more than a nostalgic live act themselves. (Damn that was kind of painful to admit/type)

Peace,
Mr DJA

I know they're successful in that respect, I just thought we were talking about successful as in continued to create good new art as opposed to riding the momentum of their earlier years. That's why I didn't think R.E.M. was "successful" after Berry left, the albums weren't bad and they were still in high demand as a live act, but they were no longer the R.E.M. of the 80's and 90's. Like the Stones as you pointed out, while I do like newer songs and albums, they're riding the momentum of the 60's and 70's. I wouldn't put them in this particular conversation because they were actually successful after Brian's departure, and Taylor's.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:28

ZZ TOP - SAME LINEUP SINCE 1969!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:35

Procol Harum's original drummer, BJ Wilson, passed away many years ago.

I am responding to the original post title. I don't know what changed here from 1960s Bands That Could Still Tour With ALL Of Their Original Members to Bands the have gone on without key members.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:40

Grand Funk Railroad formed in 1968, though I consider them a "70s" band.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:46

Roscoe
tatters
tatters
I was gonna say Jethro Tull, but I think Mick Abrahams recently passed away. The lineup that recorded their second album, Stand Up, released in 1969, are all still living, though.

Check that. Mick Abrahams is still with us! Don't know what made me think otherwise .... Actually, I guess all of the early Tull lineups could theoretically still reunite.

Didn't someone in Tull have a sex-change operation? Still the same person I guess..............

There were no such thing as sex change operations when Ian Anderson was a girl.....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 24, 2013 23:33

Wry Cooter
Grand Funk Railroad formed in 1968, though I consider them a "70s" band.

They count...their first 2 albums were released in the 60's including that great classic cover of Inside Looking Out.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 24, 2013 23:40

tatters
The Rascals reunion tour has me wondering if there are any other groups that released records in the 1960s who are still touring with ALL of their original members. I came up with only one:

Crosby, Stills and Nash

Then I wondered if there were any other groups that released records in the 1960s who could, theoretically, tour with ALL of their original members. I came up with:

Simon and Garfunkel
Cream
Three Dog Night
The Guess Who

Any others?

King Crimson

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 24, 2013 23:45

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 24, 2013 23:48

GumbootCloggeroo
bv, why did you merge these two threads? They're different.

Yah, cluster @#$%&.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 25, 2013 00:05

I was gonna say Yes (the progressive rock group), which formed in 1968, but apparently Peter Banks died in March this year. According to his wikipedia article he was playing music up until his death.

The most classic settings of Yes (with Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford or Alan White) are still alive though.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 25, 2013 00:19

CCR and the Old Fleedwood mac will do for me.............

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:14

There really was first band named Alice Cooper.Band started in 60´s.Are they all alive?
I think couple of first albums A.C did really meant band.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:14

reg thorpe
Procol Harum

Would love to see it, but sadly their great (and underrated) drummer BJ Wilson passed a few years ago. The original guitarist I think was Ray Royer, prior to Robin Trower...I have zero idea what happened to him.

Date: September 25, 2013 02:23

Bastion
First that comes to mind is The Doors.

God knows how they had the nerve to continue and call it The Doors.

when did they still call it the doors? they released 2 albums as a 3 piece for record contract fulfillment and since then the band has not been called the doors

Date: September 25, 2013 02:26

RaahenTiikeri
There really was first band named Alice Cooper.Band started in 60´s.Are they all alive?

buxton is dead

Date: September 25, 2013 02:27

69firebird
Sly And The Family Stone

yup all still alive somehow

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:29

RaahenTiikeri

It did mean the band, though Alice Cooper had started calling himself that at the same time, so he was technically Alice Cooper as well and credited as such on the albums. And no they aren't all still alive, lead guitarist Glen Buxton passed on away '97.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:42

tatters
Simon and Garfunkel
Cream
Three Dog Night
The Guess Who

Any others?

Since when is a duo a band?

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:43

The Shadows and the JImi Hendrix experience (*)

* can all unite at the next world.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:50 by camper88.

Date: September 25, 2013 03:26

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:50 by camper88.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:34

NICOS
CCR and the Old Fleedwood mac will do for me.............

Tom Fogerty has been dead since 1990.

Technically speaking, Bob Brunning (who died a couple of years ago) pre-dated John McVie as the bassist in Fleetwood Mac

This bit I never knew :

Soon after, Green contacted Fleetwood to form a new band. The pair wanted McVie on bass guitar and even named the band 'Fleetwood Mac' as a way to entice him. However, McVie opted to keep his steady income with Mayall rather than take a risk with a new band. In the meantime Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood teamed up with slide player Jeremy Spencer and bassist Bob Brunning, who was in the band on the understanding that he would leave if McVie agreed to join. The Green, Fleetwood, Spencer, Brunning version of the band made its debut on 13 August 1967 at the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival. Within weeks of this show, John McVie agreed to join the band as permanent bassist. (wiki)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 03:34 by Gazza.

Date: September 25, 2013 03:43

camper88
stonehearted

Since when is a duo a band?

Since 1974, at least.

[en.wikipedia.org]

That category--"Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group"--means favorite band or duo or group and still distinguishes a duo from a band or a group. They can all share certain labels, like "recording artists" or "acts", but if a band or group cannot be a duo, then how can a duo be a band or a group? If so, we're getting into George Carlin territory, like "The Five Man Duo" or "Ed, Formerly Don" or something just plain silly like "A Band Named Bob"....

One is a solo artist, two is a duo, and three or more are a group, since always, at least.

Date: September 25, 2013 04:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:51 by camper88.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 25, 2013 04:11

I forget which thread title I am responding to but the:

Vanilla Fudge - very good Long Island band from the 60's (managed by reputed Lucchese crime family member Phillip Basile).

Tim Bogert is now retired, but Mark Stein, Vince Martell and the great drummer Carmine Appice are still touring.

For those that do not know Bogert and Appice teamed up with Jeff Beck around 1973 for a short lived group - Beck, Bogert & Appice. Bogert & Appice were also in a band called Cactus...

Date: September 25, 2013 04:16

2000 LYFH
I forget which thread title I am responding to but the:

Vanilla Fudge - very good Long Island band from the 60's (managed by reputed Lucchese crime family member Phillip Basile).

Tim Bogert is now retired, but Mark Stein, Vince Martell and the great drummer Carmine Appice are still touring.

For those that do not know Bogert and Appice teamed up with Jeff Beck around 1973 for a short lived group - Beck, Bogert & Appice. Bogert & Appice were also in a band called Cactus...

I saw them in 2011 on their farewell tour. They said they were retiring--have they changed their mind?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2013 04:17

camper88
stonehearted

One is a solo artist, two is a duo, and three or more are a group, since always, at least.

One is a solo artist, two is a duo, three is a trio, four is a quartet, and five is a quintet, and so on. Beyond the solo artist, they're all groups. That's why the AMA allows them all to compete in the same category.

Group, n. two or more figures forming a complete unit in a composition.

Buy yourself a dictionary or learn how to use google. But stop being an idiot.

So when I see 2 of people across the street I can point to them and say, look at that group of people!

I guess that better than saying look at that duo of people.

If they're singing though, I'd probably say look at that duo singing across the street.

Remember, I'm here to help.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 04:28

Yes (band) - in 1991, there was a mega lineup of nearly every member in this prog-rock group's history, excepting Patrick Moraz and Peter Banks.

~Ben (BrianJones1969)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home