Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...247248249250251252253254255256257Next
Current Page: 253 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 2, 2018 23:53

Agree...OpenG...

Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 13, 2018 22:11

Okay -

Every Time I listen to Heartstopper I say that intro tempo reminds me of
Twisted Sister By Mick Taylor . They even have similar lyrics with Keith's She's
a vegetarian but me I love my meat and MT's I am a caged tiger hungry for my meat

[www.youtube.com] - Heartstopper

[www.youtube.com] - Twisted Sister

"Crosseyed Heart" Re-Visit
Date: November 18, 2018 13:00

All my life I have been chasing the Stones. As they get older and slow down, and I (hopefully) get a little smarter, there are times I feel like I am catching up. Only to find they got one over on me once again.
Keith put out one of the albums of the year with 'Talk is Cheap'. It added a whole new dimension to his legacy. "Main Offender" was a little more glam; Keith at the top of his game in fighting shape with the Winos put out a strong rock album.
It seemed he was done with the Winos and solo output; especially since he and Mick made up and the Stones stayed busy.
Then he put out "Crosseyed Heart". Took him forever; not much hooplah. And the album was low-key. Keith had bonked his head, gotten a lot older and wiser. Maybe it made for an album to be respected, but not really played all that much.
Which is exactly what I did. But a few threads late;y, Rocky Dijon's post re CH make me go and listen to 'Bigger Bang" and CH.
Keith's album is stellar. I had not realized how good it is. There's low humor,lots of Blues and Country - it is what a Stones album in these years should be. He knows what he knows, and stays within it's reach. One reason Keith has always been the coolest, is because he has never put himself in situations where he isn't in control of that. You will never see Keith dancing; if it isn't his own dance, at his own time & place.

ABB comes off as crass and desperate next to it. I have tried to like ABB several times. There is not ONE song on Bigger Bang that I really like.
It has become harder to like a Stones release. I was thinking about this today. We also are getting older, and maybe as our Stones tank gets fuller and fuller we find it trickier to cram new material in there.
Re CH I think there are some weak cuts on here> "Irene" and " Just a Gift" are waste of space.
"Gift" is a cousin to "Thru And Thru" while "Illusion" is close relative to "Locked Away". Keith has this one melodic, and rhythmic phrase that he uses over and over. Where he starts low and the bottom of a scale and rises up, to end low again. "Cant be Seen", "Ei;leen", "Trouble", "Something 4 Nothing", "Illusion", "Just a Gift".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-19 10:45 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: "Crosseyed Heart" Re-Visit
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 18, 2018 13:34

for me still the best Stones-related release featuring new songs since… – maybe Some Girls

Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18, 2015
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 18, 2018 18:42

Okay -

Every Time I listen to Heartstopper I say that intro tempo reminds me of
Twisted Sister By Mick Taylor . They even have similar lyrics with Keith's She's
a vegetarian but me I love my meat and MT's I am a caged tiger hungry for my meat

[www.youtube.com] - Heartstopper CH

[www.youtube.com] - Twisted Sister - Stones Throw

They even have two of the same named songs on there last records - Blues in the Morning

[www.youtube.com] Mick Taylor

[www.youtube.com] Keith Richards

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 18, 2018 20:27

Yeah. really really great album from the Riffmaster.Love it to bits.
But i must admit, have not played it a lot the last few months.tore it to shreds the first 16 months though.
Hope Keef (n Mick) will come up with some good songs for the new album.
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 18, 2018 22:45

Listened this morning, Amnesia really grabbed me more than previously. CH still holds up very well...thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 19, 2018 15:31

Maindefender
Listened this morning, Amnesia really grabbed me more than previously. CH still holds up very well...thumbs upthumbs up

Ditto thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 19, 2018 16:00

Palace Revolution 2000
All my life I have been chasing the Stones. As they get older and slow down, and I (hopefully) get a little smarter, there are times I feel like I am catching up. Only to find they got one over on me once again.
Keith put out one of the albums of the year with 'Talk is Cheap'. It added a whole new dimension to his legacy. "Main Offender" was a little more glam; Keith at the top of his game in fighting shape with the Winos put out a strong rock album.
It seemed he was done with the Winos and solo output; especially since he and Mick made up and the Stones stayed busy.
Then he put out "Crosseyed Heart". Took him forever; not much hooplah. And the album was low-key. Keith had bonked his head, gotten a lot older and wiser. Maybe it made for an album to be respected, but not really played all that much.
Which is exactly what I did. But a few threads late;y, Rocky Dijon's post re CH make me go and listen to 'Bigger Bang" and CH.
Keith's album is stellar. I had not realized how good it is. There's low humor,lots of Blues and Country - it is what a Stones album in these years should be. He knows what he knows, and stays within it's reach. One reason Keith has always been the coolest, is because he has never put himself in situations where he isn't in control of that. You will never see Keith dancing; if it isn't his own dance, at his own time & place.

ABB comes off as crass and desperate next to it. I have tried to like ABB several times. There is not ONE song on Bigger Bang that I really like.
It has become harder to like a Stones release. I was thinking about this today. We also are getting older, and maybe as our Stones tank gets fuller and fuller we find it trickier to cram new material in there.
Re CH I think there are some weak cuts on here> "Irene" and " Just a Gift" are waste of space.
"Gift" is a cousin to "Thru And Thru" while "Illusion" is close relative to "Locked Away". Keith has this one melodic, and rhythmic phrase that he uses over and over. Where he starts low and the bottom of a scale and rises up, to end low again. "Cant be Seen", "Ei;leen", "Trouble", "Something 4 Nothing", "Illusion", "Just a Gift".

I agree with almost everything you said but I cannot help reacting to your statement that "Irene" and "Just A Gift" are a waste of space. I love both songs deeply, especially Irene. I also don't see much connection between "Ilusion" and "Locked Away" although I sort of see your analysis about similar melody. The thing is that Keith's songs are not mainly melody-driven, and the atmosphere of the two songs is very different.
For me "Blues In The Morning" is a waste of space but I know I am virtually the only person in the world who thinks that way, so instead of writing Keith Richards a letter if he please, please will bring out a version of CH without that cacaphony, I just skip the bloody thing. I am not overly fond of the "rockers" like Heartstopper, Amnesia and Trouble either, but they are alright, they're sort of like the "hors d'oevre" before the real meal starts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-19 16:02 by matxil.

Date: November 20, 2018 01:23

matxil
Palace Revolution 2000

I agree with almost everything you said but I cannot help reacting to your statement that "Irene" and "Just A Gift" are a waste of space. I love both songs deeply, especially Irene. I also don't see much connection between "Ilusion" and "Locked Away" although I sort of see your analysis about similar melody. The thing is that Keith's songs are not mainly melody-driven, and the atmosphere of the two songs is very different.
For me "Blues In The Morning" is a waste of space but I know I am virtually the only person in the world who thinks that way, so instead of writing Keith Richards a letter if he please, please will bring out a version of CH without that cacaphony, I just skip the bloody thing. I am not overly fond of the "rockers" like Heartstopper, Amnesia and Trouble either, but they are alright, they're sort of like the "hors d'oevre" before the real meal starts.

Just A Gift is the best track on the album imho. I don't think there is a bad track out of those 16 songs, and that is what really surprised me, that Keith could come up with almost a double album of quality songs so late in life.
Also CH made me realise just how much Keith had wasted his talent since 93'. In a way the Stones (Mick) have really held him back creatively. Be careful what you wish for Keith, hanging around to play Warhorses has come at a price creatively.
I just don't see how Keith can be fulfilled with recent Stones albums and tours, i get the impression he doesn't really like the finished article, Stones albums have become 75% Mick solo albums with Keith playing on them and providing the best few tracks. As for live performances i can't see whats in it for Keith, he's clearly bored with most of the setlist and who can blame him, he comes to life when there is something fresh to play ( Like the Fonda gig ) and does his best to try to get into Miss You etc, but i doubt his heart is in it. Too late now but i wonder what sort of career Keith would have had if he stayed solo from 88' i don't think the Stones have offered anything new since then, its just a money grab, the gravy train keeps on rolling, maybe Keith likes coin more than we realized, or maybe he just likes to hang with his old mates.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 20, 2018 10:36

I'm sure he does like the "coin" ...and loves to hang with his old mates.

But what is also very evident is that he still loves to play live with the band...and I don't think he much cares what the set list consists of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 10:45 by Spud.

Date: November 20, 2018 10:52

keithsman

Just A Gift is the best track on the album imho. I don't think there is a bad track out of those 16 songs, and that is what really surprised me, that Keith could come up with almost a double album of quality songs so late in life.
Also CH made me realise just how much Keith had wasted his talent since 93'. In a way the Stones (Mick) have really held him back creatively. Be careful what you wish for Keith, hanging around to play Warhorses has come at a price creatively.
I just don't see how Keith can be fulfilled with recent Stones albums and tours, i get the impression he doesn't really like the finished article, Stones albums have become 75% Mick solo albums with Keith playing on them and providing the best few tracks. As for live performances i can't see whats in it for Keith, he's clearly bored with most of the setlist and who can blame him, he comes to life when there is something fresh to play ( Like the Fonda gig ) and does his best to try to get into Miss You etc, but i doubt his heart is in it. Too late now but i wonder what sort of career Keith would have had if he stayed solo from 88' i don't think the Stones have offered anything new since then, its just a money grab, the gravy train keeps on rolling, maybe Keith likes coin more than we realized, or maybe he just likes to hang with his old mates.

thumbs up

I agree with you a 100% that's it's a missed chance. But I've read in a number of interviews, with Mick Jagger for instance, or some of the others, that one particular trait of Keith Richards is his loyalty, especially to "his" band, the Rolling Stones. I guess that was stronger than his need to go out and do something artistically more rewarding. But, yes, it's a pity.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2018 12:23

Keith bored with the RS setlists? Don't believe so. Why does he play the same songs over and over again in his slot then? And why does he think he's still perfecting JJFlash after 1100 attempts?
CH, a great album? Hardly. It received bland reviews. Too many boring, half-finished ballads. Not my cup of tea, anyway.
But I guess I'm against the grain here. Crosseyed Cat is a great song though. But that's Muddy Water's...

Date: November 20, 2018 12:24

matxil
keithsman

thumbs up

I agree with you a 100% that's it's a missed chance. But I've read in a number of interviews, with Mick Jagger for instance, or some of the others, that one particular trait of Keith Richards is his loyalty, especially to "his" band, the Rolling Stones. I guess that was stronger than his need to go out and do something artistically more rewarding. But, yes, it's a pity.

Touche!

Date: November 20, 2018 12:26

matxil
keithsman

thumbs up

Yes that's it, Loyalty, that is the characteristic in Keith that prevails over everything else. He loves the band, he loves his mates, he calls them the constant ones.
It's like when he finished Crosseyed Heart, he waited and waited for the right time to release it, i think it was like two years or something, i got the feeling he was waiting for the Stones to call it a day, and then Keith might have taken CH on the road. But his first love, The Rolling Stones continue and he's never going to fulfill that ambition now imho.

Date: November 20, 2018 12:54

keithsman
matxil
keithsman

thumbs up

Yes that's it, Loyalty, that is the characteristic in Keith that prevails over everything else. He loves the band, he loves his mates, he calls them the constant ones.
It's like when he finished Crosseyed Heart, he waited and waited for the right time to release it, i think it was like two years or something, i got the feeling he was waiting for the Stones to call it a day, and then Keith might have taken CH on the road. But his first love, The Rolling Stones continue and he's never going to fulfill that ambition now imho.

Coming to think of it, it's not only a pity for Keith, but also for Mick and the others. Even though I don't like Mick's solo output much, it's quite clear that that is where he wanted to go and the Stones wouldn't let him. The whole England's Lost thing proves my point. Eventually, he might have come up with something great - for some people at least, if he would have continued up that alley. The same for Charlie and Ronnie. Commercial succes wouldn't have been very likely for any of them but who cares? Look at Wyman, he pretty much has been doing what he liked doing himself. I am not particularly impressed by it and artistically I don't think it stands out, but, hey, the guy is happy.

Date: November 20, 2018 14:35

But that's what i can't get my head around, even Ronnie and Keith put out solo albums since the last Stones album, no solo album from Mick in 14 years and the clock is still ticking. If he really could write a great solo album with the music that he wants to make, where is it. This is why writers block comes to mind.

Date: November 20, 2018 14:53

keithsman
But that's what i can't get my head around, even Ronnie and Keith put out solo albums since the last Stones album, no solo album from Mick in 14 years and the clock is still ticking. If he really could write a great solo album with the music that he wants to make, where is it. This is why writers block comes to mind.

He did Alfie and Superheavy, though. He put a lot of effort in those albums, I reckon.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 20, 2018 15:51

Seems as if the lack of new Stones album has elevated the appreciation for CH.....that being said still hopeful for a 2019 release.....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 20, 2018 17:02

Maindefender
Seems as if the lack of new Stones album has elevated the appreciation for CH.....quote]

Maybe it has ...but CH is also proving to be one of those albums that grows.... and maybe surprises some folks when they listen again after a time.

I've listened to it quite a lot.... and it still gets better with every spin .

The sure sign of a good record winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 20, 2018 17:24

DandelionPowderman
keithsman

He did Alfie and Superheavy, though. He put a lot of effort in those albums, I reckon.

Effort maybe, but quality??? Not really,IMO.
jeroen

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 20, 2018 17:33

DandelionPowderman
keithsman

With reference to the last quoted post, to me there seems to be one contrast between Keith and Mick. More or less everything, with few exceptions, that Keith has released solo, as type of music, outside sometimes deeply personal lyrics of songs, I like to ask, if he might also have presented for the Stones to record. I guess so. That is clearly not the case for Mick: There have been Stones oriented music in one album, his contributions to Superheavy emerges as if made with that project in mind, and there are albums of his with individually oriented solo stuff, like GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY.

In other words, for what kinds of context are Mick's later rumoured songs made. That means: What are and have been his possibly shifting motivations over time for writing songs? Such considerations may supply alternative explanatory hypothesises to one of keithsman's favourite assertations about Mick.

Date: November 20, 2018 17:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 17:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2018 18:11

keithsman
matxil
keithsman

thumbs up

Well, since those "heavy touring days" were finally over in 2007, we have seen years of inactivity and, since 2012, only sporadic activity from the band, not more than two or three months a year, with plenty of time left for any band member to pursue whatever he is creatively up to - without any need to be "illoyal" to the Stones.

My take is what you can't achieve in 9-10 months "free time" from the band you probably won't achieve even if the Stones were not active at all!

No one is holding anyone up from doing with their annual 10 months free time whatever he wants to do - there is simply no need to be "illoyal" to the Stones once you decide to write, record and perform live shows for any solo projects.

Until the new album will prove otherwise, it's a fair guess to state that creatively, the Stones are over - and have been since a very long time by now. They are simply resting on their laurels earned decades ago and considering their age, deservedly so, at least I have no problem with it as long as interesting archive projects keep coming and, who knows, maybe the new album will suprise us all!

CH - I see it more like a "cleaning of the vaults"-project like "Tattoo You", finishing and releasing stuff that was around for years, not exactly a "sudden creative outburst". Nothing wrong with it, just don't lose the perspective.

Date: November 20, 2018 20:24

Supposedly, only a very few songs were vault stuff, like Trouble and Nothing On Me. But even Trouble got new lyrics, melodies, riffs and hooks.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 21, 2018 00:48

DandelionPowderman
Supposedly, only a very few songs were vault stuff, like Trouble and Nothing On Me. But even Trouble got new lyrics, melodies, riffs and hooks.

That's how it looks like on the surface, but I think more than 20 years between Main Offender and CH are telling enough... But like I said, there's nothing wrong if an artist finally decides to get all the unfinished recordings, recorded licks, song sketches and ideas together to finalize an album.

Date: November 21, 2018 00:54

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

That's how it looks like on the surface, but I think more than 20 years between Main Offender and CH are telling enough... But like I said, there's nothing wrong if an artist finally decides to get all the unfinished recordings, recorded licks, song sketches and ideas together to finalize an album.

He might have used ideas and sketches from way back, of course.

However, the playing sounds like it was done on the album sessions. That leads me to believe that much of this was written for the sessions, keeping how Keith likes to work in mind.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 21, 2018 02:42

leads me to believe that much of this was written for the sessions, keeping how Keith likes to work in mind.

Yeah wasn't Blues In The Morning just slammed down in one take … BANG got it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2018 04:35

And the minimal acoustic title track - Crosseyed Heart...doesn't sound like something he spent too much time on or something he'd been hanging on to for years.
Might have even been spur of the moment at the last minute..."That's all I got..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2018 04:48

Hairball
And the minimal acoustic title track - Crosseyed Heart...doesn't sound like something he spent too much time on or something he'd been hanging on to for years.
Might have even been spur of the moment at the last minute..."That's all I got..."

Listen to the New Faces overdub album, really, from VOODOO BREW or whatever, the one with Salty Dog etc - he plays some blues that is similar.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...247248249250251252253254255256257Next
Current Page: 253 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home