Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...222223224225226227228229230231232...LastNext
Current Page: 227 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 17:21

35love
I'm sorry, but I resent being labeled a 'Keithette' because I love Crosseyed Heart and therefore blah, blah, blah against Jagger? Can we stop this nonsense? It's narrow minded.

There are intelligent, thoughtful, meaningful posts analyzing KR's first LP out in a few decades. I'd like to think we all got wiser in that time span. I know Keith did- just give a listen.

I agree. I think Doxa's just having fun though.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 6, 2015 17:28

Turner68
35love
I'm sorry, but I resent being labeled a 'Keithette' because I love Crosseyed Heart and therefore blah, blah, blah against Jagger? Can we stop this nonsense? It's narrow minded.

There are intelligent, thoughtful, meaningful posts analyzing KR's first LP out in a few decades. I'd like to think we all got wiser in that time span. I know Keith did- just give a listen.

*and I very well might be grumpy. Think I need to play 'Nothing on Me' up real loud.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 6, 2015 17:57

35love
Turner68
35love

*and I very well might be grumpy. Think I need to play 'Nothing on Me' up real loud.

Do that!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 6, 2015 18:23

Turner68
35love

Well, Doxa thinks he's just having fun. But what he's done is to imagine this whole new class of fans (I am deeply ashamed to confess that I was the originator of the word Keithette years ago, but the new definition is Doxa's) - and now nobody can say anything good about Crosseyed Heart without being assumed to belong to this supposed crowd of rabid Mick-haters.

(sound effect of Donald Duck getting very, VERY exasperated...)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 6, 2015 18:29

Green Lady
Turner68
35love

Well, Doxa thinks he's just having fun. But what he's done is to imagine this whole new class of fans (I am deeply ashamed to confess that I was the originator of the word Keithette years ago, but the new definition is Doxa's) - and now nobody can say anything good about Crosseyed Heart without being assumed to belong to this supposed crowd of rabid Mick-haters.

Dear Green Lady, don't despair. We'll all be happily humming Nothing On Me, while Doxa is condemmed to sing To Dream the Impossible Dream for all eternity...grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 6, 2015 19:13

Green Lady
Turner68
35love

Oh well, suspicious as it seems, it's just an illusion.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 6, 2015 19:40

latebloomer
Green Lady
Turner68
35love
I'm sorry, but I resent being labeled a 'Keithette' because I love Crosseyed Heart and therefore blah, blah, blah against Jagger?
Can we stop this nonsense? It's narrow minded.

There are intelligent, thoughtful, meaningful posts analyzing KR's first LP out in a few decades.
I'd like to think we all got wiser in that time span. I know Keith did- just give a listen.

Well, Doxa thinks he's just having fun. But what he's done is to imagine this whole new class of fans
(I am deeply ashamed to confess that I was the originator of the word Keithette years ago,
but the new definition is Doxa's) - and now nobody can say anything good about Crosseyed Heart
without being assumed to belong to this supposed crowd of rabid Mick-haters.

Dear Green Lady, don't despair. We'll all be happily humming Nothing On Me, while Doxa is condemned to sing
To Dream the Impossible Dream for all eternity...grinning smiley

As an alternative, perhaps Doxa could just drop this form of 'fun' that's well past its best-by date.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 6, 2015 19:51

matxil
Green Lady
Turner68
35love

Yeah, but not the one you're thinking of!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 6, 2015 20:04

Wild Slivovitz
matxil
Green Lady
Turner68
35love

Maybe Irene can decide if there's any Substantial Damage here.
But then again she can be nothing but Trouble, and might be suffering from Amnesia...

Date: November 6, 2015 20:07

Hairball
Wild Slivovitz
matxil
Green Lady
Turner68
35love

Maybe Irene can decide if there's any Substantial Damage here.
But then again she can be nothing but Trouble, and might be suffering from Amnesia...

You're breaking my heart!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:35

A couple of good tracks on an average album.

15 songs should mean you have a lot to say.

Please oh please we need a stones album.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: November 7, 2015 02:17

This is getting close to Desert Island territory. Listen all "wigged out". MEZ

Date: November 7, 2015 03:07

treaclefingers

which tracks were your favorites?

Date: November 7, 2015 03:32

Turner68
treaclefingers

Damn...ok you got me...I don't really like any of them enough to remember the titles. I think the second song was good. Rubbed Blind was nice...a song about 'going it solo'?

Date: November 7, 2015 03:33

treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers

Damn...ok you got me...I don't really like any of them enough to remember the titles. I think the second song was good. Rubbed Blind was nice...a song about 'going it solo'?

i thought it was about the "a bigger bang" sessions....

Date: November 7, 2015 03:39

Turner68
treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers

i thought it was about the "a bigger bang" sessions....

your crossing a line now. at least on topic if we're talking about crosseyed heart.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 7, 2015 05:48

treaclefingers

Been waiting for your review of the record, glad you finally got a listen. I suggest giving it a few more listens under different states of mind. I seem to have found one, somewhere between the second and third beer where everything just makes perfect sense. Not working too well for me in the morning yet though.winking smiley

Date: November 7, 2015 05:52

Naturalust
treaclefingers

Been waiting for your review of the record, glad you finally got a listen. I suggest giving it a few more listens under different states of mind. I seem to have found one, somewhere between the second and third beer where everything just makes perfect sense. Not working too well for me in the morning yet though.winking smiley

it wasn't a proper listen...kept getting interrupted. I'll give it another try tomorrow

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2015 06:13

it wasn't a proper listen...kept getting interrupted.

Take it home and relax .. it's way too hard trying to listen in a knock-shop esp with that red light shinin' thru the venetians ...hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 7, 2015 07:29

Since I'm not a sucker for Keith-ballads I would rate CH third in the Keith Catalogue. After TIC and MO, in that order.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 7, 2015 11:58

treaclefingers

How many times did you listen to it? Give it some time.

Date: November 7, 2015 12:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 7, 2015 12:21

DandelionPowderman
He is just joking. He has played the album to death already and loves every bit of it.

Or someone highjacked his IORR account smiling smiley

I don't think Treaclefingers is one to joke around....

Date: November 7, 2015 17:23

matxil
treaclefingers

But if I've already pre-judged that I'm only going to find this is an average album before I've actually listened to it, what good is it going to do listening to it several times?

Date: November 7, 2015 17:39

treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

But if I've already pre-judged that I'm only going to find this is an average album before I've actually listened to it, what good is it going to do listening to it several times?

That's what I figured. Some people find it hard to be objective once they are exposed to reviews, either good or bad...or for any number of reasons, they are in the mind set already to dislike it. Might as well put it away for a while and maybe try again when the spirit moves you and you think you can approach it with a fresh perspective.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2015 17:42

treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

Because then you can judge it. If you pre-judged it, that means you didn't judge it.

Date: November 7, 2015 21:39

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

Because then you can judge it. If you pre-judged it, that means you didn't judge it.

Not true. If I've 'pre-ordered' something off Amazon, I have in effect ordered it, it just isn't available yet for distribution.

I hate nailing you on these all the time skippy, but you leave yourself wide open.

Date: November 7, 2015 21:40

latebloomer
treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

That's what I figured. Some people find it hard to be objective once they are exposed to reviews, either good or bad...or for any number of reasons, they are in the mind set already to dislike it. Might as well put it away for a while and maybe try again when the spirit moves you and you think you can approach it with a fresh perspective.

That's a good idea. In a few years, I can go back to it and it will be like an entirely new album I find of average quality!

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: November 7, 2015 23:36

You nailed it, Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2015 23:59

treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

That's a good idea. In a few years, I can go back to it and it will be like an entirely new album I find of average quality!

Well, it is a good idea. In regards to CROSSEYED HEART I am in that state at the moment that I have listened it enough, judged it enough, and it doesn't offer me¨anything anymore to change my judgment no matter how much I listen to it. So I stopped listening to it. Will it be several weeks, months or yaers I will pick it up again and listen it with "fresh perspective", I don't know. Probably then I might reconsider its value (and see more clearly how it rates in regards to his and Stones' past achievements). But that's how it is with almost any record.

Contrary to many people here, my reception of the album has been rather different. My initial reaction was "Wow! Never I thought Keith could come up again with something so fresh and good!". It was a pleasent surprise. The songs sounded so mature, so genuine, so relaxed, so independent (of The Stones), and what is best: different compared to his other solo albums. I especially welcomed the slow song/ballad section - lots of nice little melody ideas, Keith singing from his heart, and all that. Finally getting that all out of his system. Probably I had so low expectations and I have waited for so long a new Rolling Stones-related item, that it was easy to charm me.

Unfortunately that first impression didn't last too long. I hear people here saying that the album or this or that song is "growing on me", but for me it goes the other way round: what first sounded so interesting and promising and fresh started little by little sound a bit too obvious, cliche-like and thin - there wasn't the depthness to excite curious imagination to find hidden treasures - to really capture one's mind like some real masterpieces do. I find the album very "easy-listening" - which is to say: don't listen too deeply, too seriously - just enjoy the nice surface here and then and keep it that way. The music just can't stand closer attention (or repeated listenings) to keep its charm. This is especially true in regards to the ballad section I first liked so much - now I feel like that I really don't need to hear any new Keith Richards ballad ever again. An overdose. And that country ballad is a walking cliche (but that old school Stonesy piece "Heartstopper" is a real gem as some others).

In that sense - the charm fades away rather quickly - I don't find the album (at the moment) much different from the recent (last 25/30 yaers or so) Stones albums like many people here seem to do. Probably it is better than, say, A BIGGER BANG but that doesn't really ask much - both Mick and Keith have managed to make more exciting solo albums on their own than their co-worked previous or upcoming Stones efforts.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 00:03 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...222223224225226227228229230231232...LastNext
Current Page: 227 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home