Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 13, 2015 23:03

EddieByword
First, I really liked and still like Talk is cheap, fairly liked Main Offender (but not as much as TIC) but...so far, I can't get into this new one at all, a couple of nice rhythms here and there but nothing extraordinary - relative to other Stones/solo output.
First time I played it I fell asleep, the second time I got bored after 8 tracks and took it off............I'll give it One more shot..........winking smiley

You have to let it grow. It's comparable to EOMS in that sense: the more often you hear it, the better it gets. Only listening to it 2 times is simply not enough. I am even beginning to like "Blues in the Morning", which was the one song I thought was a bit weak. That song won't ever be my favourite I think, but I am starting to genuinely enjoy it. "Amnesia" is another example of a grower. One day you'll wake up and have that tune in your head.
And - as DandelionPowderMan says - the ballads are just sublime (although I'm not sure there are 8. Maybe if you count Illusion and Suspicious twice, which they deserve.)

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 13, 2015 23:25

mr_dja
keefriffhards
I love crosseyed heart so much that when I play it in my car every day and reach my destination I just drve on an extra mile or sit in the car with it on for ten more minutes because its that good

That's when you KNOW it's good! I haven't had that experience w/ CH yet - I'm not sure that I've listened to it in the car yet - but other albums have kept me in my car long enough to raise questions.

I think John Hammond's "Wicked Grin" was the last one to get me. While waiting for my wife to arrive at a restaurant, it just sucked me in. Next thing I know, My phone rings and it's my wife wondering where I'm at as she'd been inside waiting for me for the past 10 minutes. Oops!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Heartattack and vine Phew this is really something, thanks for the point in the right direction, never heard this before . Cheers

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:01

matxil
EddieByword
First, I really liked and still like Talk is cheap, fairly liked Main Offender (but not as much as TIC) but...so far, I can't get into this new one at all, a couple of nice rhythms here and there but nothing extraordinary - relative to other Stones/solo output.
First time I played it I fell asleep, the second time I got bored after 8 tracks and took it off............I'll give it One more shot..........winking smiley

You have to let it grow. It's comparable to EOMS in that sense: the more often you hear it, the better it gets. Only listening to it 2 times is simply not enough. I am even beginning to like "Blues in the Morning", which was the one song I thought was a bit weak. That song won't ever be my favourite I think, but I am starting to genuinely enjoy it. "Amnesia" is another example of a grower. One day you'll wake up and have that tune in your head.
And - as DandelionPowderMan says - the ballads are just sublime (although I'm not sure there are 8. Maybe if you count Illusion and Suspicious twice, which they deserve.)

ok matxil, I'll go with what you say, I'll put a disc in the car as that's when I tend to listen most...........lol....although I've had Lynyrd Skynyrd @ Knebworth '76 on repeat for about 6 weeks.................so far I haven't seen a reason to change it....perhaps this is it............

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:13

Georgelicks wrote about gloabal sales:

"... Worldchart (Mediatraffic): 4-15 (135,000)
Worldchart (Musiccharts.net) 5-15 (192,000)..."

As I see now, the exact numbers reported by the two sources are 192,800 for Musiccharts.net and 139,000 for Mediatraffic, which (THAT'S THE FUNNY THING I would like to note!), added 4,000 copies as first week sales just know, I mean AFTER album's second week...

No big deal of course, but maybe a sign of industry's situation today... It seems like the industry cannot even estimate correctly, these days! How the hell can be such a huge difference between the two sources? It's not only about CH, there are overall vast defferences. Any explanation, Georgelicks?

Anyway, atleast both Charts agree on Keith's position in the second week (#15, which is really good IMO).

PS: An week ago, considering the accurate sales from particular countries, Georgelicks stated that the bigger number (Musiccharts.net) seems more realistic. But I guess Georgelicks is going to revise his opinion, just because Musicharts could deny his prediction about CH selling totally less than 200,000 -250,000 worldwide...

(I'm kidding of course. Album's quality brings me in a really good mood, so I want to jest a bit, "accusing" Georgelicks...)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:21

Im sorry but I dont get it. What's so good about this album?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:26

The songs...

Date: October 14, 2015 00:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 14, 2015 00:43

Redhotcarpet

I guess its in the ear of the beholder, i can see why its not to everyone's taste

My dog hates it !!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 14, 2015 01:42

No surprise my wife loves Suspicious after two listens. I can see Keith producing albums of other artists especially after the Grammy nominations. He'll be sought after the rest of his life!!

Now make a damn SNL appearance...lol

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 14, 2015 03:14

First off, dont care about the sales. Actually chart placement has already surpassed what many predicted. Im telling you every f-cking song on this album is great. I also thought BLUES IN THE MORNING was a little generic but I have found myself on day number 26 of this album going and replaying this one. Fantastic. These really are quality songs. The more you hear em, the better they are. And yes, I hope Im wrong but I really dont think the Stones can top this as far as quality goes. The bar has been set higher than I ever could have imagined.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 14, 2015 03:28

Since I am a real librarian, I like a comprehensive list- here's (supposedly) every performer Keith has panned:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/heres_a_list_of_17_artists_keith_richards_slammed_from_justin_bieber_to_metallica.html

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2015 05:48

Librarian
Since I am a real librarian, I like a comprehensive list- here's (supposedly) every performer Keith has panned:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/heres_a_list_of_17_artists_keith_richards_slammed_from_justin_bieber_to_metallica.html

Well that was sure an entertaining read. Obviously Keith hasn't learned the art of diplomacy. His statements on Elton, Bowie, The Dead and Zeppelin are a bit outrageous, imo while some of his other ones are spot on and hilarious. It obviously such a subjective thing...strangely the majority of those artists have outsold the Stones at one time or another.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2015 06:14

It would have been more interesting and accurate had the quotes been put in context and/or given the date of when they were said.

For example, the Prince quote dates from c.1981 right after Prince opened for the Stones at the L.A. Coliseum. From my personal experience of being there, it was a disaster.
I've seen him several times since then, and have learned to appreciate him. Keith has probably changed his mind on that as well, but can't speak for him.

Don't know the date or context of the Elton quote, but it seems Elton's comeback was just as nasty: "arthritic monkey".
Seems like they're friends again as seen in the recent GQ awards pics.

The quote on Dylan doesn't necessarily come off as 'slam', more like an acknowledgment of Dylan's superiority as a songwriter.

The Bowie quote might have been around the time he and Mick recorded and made the video of Dancing in the Streets, but I'm just guessing.

The quotes on George Michael, Springsteen, P. Diddy,and Bieber seem accurate, but don't know the dates or context.

Surprised the "tiny todger' quote didn't make the list, but maybe the writer has a tiny one himself. lol.

The best line I read was not from Keith, but from Sid Vicious: "I wouldn't piss on Keith Richards if he was on fire."

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: October 14, 2015 06:32

Bravo again for such a stellar album. Kudos to Mr Richards. I was hopeful, but this exceeded my expectations beyond belief. So happy to have this release! Hint hint Sir Mick go against the grain & your instincts and be open to some of this direction. "Less is more". MEZ

Date: October 14, 2015 09:15

Naturalust
Librarian

Well that was sure an entertaining read. Obviously Keith hasn't learned the art of diplomacy. His statements on Elton, Bowie, The Dead and Zeppelin are a bit outrageous, imo while some of his other ones are spot on and hilarious. It obviously such a subjective thing...strangely the majority of those artists have outsold the Stones at one time or another.

Keith has certainly slated some good bands and singers over the years, ( that i like ) its part of his devil may-care inappropriate charm that we all obviously love ( or not as the case maybe ) and don't take him too seriously. I remember a story about Ronnie and Keith going to visit Prince ( so keith must have liked him ) and they said he was on a raised podium and made sure he was above them and would not come down. ( maybe because he is short ) On another occasion i remember a story about Ronnie introducing Boy George to Keith and Keith took the piss ot of him calling him the bag lady. Initially Ronnie thought Boy George was a girl lol Keith had to point out that he was actually a guy HAHA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-14 09:17 by keefriffhards.

Date: October 14, 2015 10:46

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 14, 2015 11:58

Everything he said is oh so true. The man knows better than any other. I like some of the mentioned artists, but basically Keith is right.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 14, 2015 12:00

HMS
Everything he said is oh so true. The man knows better than any other. I like some of the mentioned artists, but basically Keith is right.

Moreover, the Prince quote is hilarious!

Date: October 14, 2015 12:04

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 14, 2015 14:32

Redhotcarpet

15 songs.

Date: October 14, 2015 14:36

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 14, 2015 15:26

After following IORR for the last 15 something years I thought it's time to join the club. And what's a better occasion than Keith's new album. In my opinion it's not an album what will shock the world, but I love it. It's got a great groove and feel over it. That's what important to me. I love almost every song of it, Irene and Blues in the Morning I had to get used to. But especially Irene has grown on me. Favorites for me are: Heartstopper, Illusion, Just a Gift and Lovers Plea, but they differ every time I listen to it

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 14, 2015 15:40

keefriffhards
mr_dja
keefriffhards
I love crosseyed heart so much that when I play it in my car every day and reach my destination I just drve on an extra mile or sit in the car with it on for ten more minutes because its that good

That's when you KNOW it's good! I haven't had that experience w/ CH yet - I'm not sure that I've listened to it in the car yet - but other albums have kept me in my car long enough to raise questions.

I think John Hammond's "Wicked Grin" was the last one to get me. While waiting for my wife to arrive at a restaurant, it just sucked me in. Next thing I know, My phone rings and it's my wife wondering where I'm at as she'd been inside waiting for me for the past 10 minutes. Oops!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Heartattack and vine Phew this is really something, thanks for the point in the right direction, never heard this before . Cheers

keefriffhards -> You're welcome! Always glad when I can turn someone on to something they end up enjoying. Feels like going full circle as I have been turned on to stuff myself over the years. And yes, "Heartattack and Vine" is really something. One of my favorites on an album that I have a hard time picking a favorite on!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 14, 2015 15:44

gallagher
After following IORR for the last 15 something years I thought it's time to join the club. And what's a better occasion than Keith's new album. In my opinion it's not an album what will shock the world, but I love it. It's got a great groove and feel over it. That's what important to me. I love almost every song of it, Irene and Blues in the Morning I had to get used to. But especially Irene has grown on me. Favorites for me are: Heartstopper, Illusion, Just a Gift and Lovers Plea, but they differ every time I listen to it

thumbs up

I agree completely. Might be a good criterion for what makes a song or an album a classic: "they differ every time I listen to it".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-14 15:44 by matxil.

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 14, 2015 16:12

matxil
gallagher

thumbs up

I agree completely. Might be a good criterion for what makes a song or an album a classic: "they differ every time I listen to it".

Indeed Matxil, I hear new sounds or licks or background sounds I haven't heard the last time I listened the album. There are a lot of layers on it, something I didn't found on for example ABB, which was more a straight album IMO

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 14, 2015 16:14

mr_dja
keefriffhards
mr_dja
keefriffhards

Peace,
Mr DJA

keefriffhards -> You're welcome! Always glad when I can turn someone on to something they end up enjoying. Feels like going full circle as I have been turned on to stuff myself over the years. And yes, "Heartattack and Vine" is really something. One of my favorites on an album that I have a hard time picking a favorite on!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Would have to recommend the original (Tom Waits) version and the Screamin' Jay Hawkins version of Heartattack & Vine though over the one on Wicked Grin - much as I'm a fan of John Hammond's.

Date: October 14, 2015 17:06

Redhotcarpet

You can start reading this review:
[cornellsun.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-14 17:11 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 14, 2015 17:38

KRiffhard
Redhotcarpet

[cornellsun.com]

Ahh yes that was a great review KRiffhard. thumbs up
Only read it once when first published, but similar to the album itself, I found something new after another reading:

"No goddamn Kanye West, no goddamn Justin Bieber, no #hashtagged Billboard contrivance.
Just that holy backbeat — American as a ’57 Chevy with Marilyn on the hood, full of the sacred promise of libertinism...
“Trouble” is dirty as hell, charming as shit, and familiar as an old lover — the way I like my rock and roll.".

Date: October 14, 2015 18:06

Hairball
KRiffhard
Redhotcarpet

[cornellsun.com]

Only read it once when first published, but similar to the album itself, I found something new after another reading:

"No goddamn Kanye West, no goddamn Justin Bieber, no #hashtagged Billboard contrivance.
Just that holy backbeat — American as a ’57 Chevy with Marilyn on the hood, full of the sacred promise of libertinism...
“Trouble” is dirty as hell, charming as shit, and familiar as an old lover — the way I like my rock and roll.".

...and what about this:
"...warm, swampy and deeply groovy concoction of rock, blues, country and soul, full of romantic tenderness and hard-earned wisdom, delivered in a spirit of pure vintage class"
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: October 14, 2015 18:19

KRiffhard
Hairball
KRiffhard
Redhotcarpet

[cornellsun.com]

...and what about this:
"...warm, swampy and deeply groovy concoction of rock, blues, country and soul, full of romantic tenderness and hard-earned wisdom, delivered in a spirit of pure vintage class"
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Yes indeed.
I don't think there's been one really bad review of the album. While Rolling Stone mag gave it a 3, if memory serves the review itself was quite positive.

Oh yeah, there was that one dude 'Jim' who hasn't like the anything Stones related since c.72 posted a few pages back.
His "review" was less than stellar, but due to his predisposition of being anti-Stones, his comments are meaningless. lol

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home