Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...151152153154155156157158159160161...LastNext
Current Page: 156 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2015 21:01

Took my review off Facebook and put it here.

A lot of people (In truth around 6 or 7) has been asking me what I think of Crosseyed Heart. So here's my review:

I've had the album for a few weeks. It was sent to me by a good friend, who I'm not sure wants his name out here. It was secretly recorded at the listening party that was held some time ago. Now that I've heard it on Spotify I can sum up my thoughts about it.

Well, where to start? I like it a lot. Let that be known to begin with. That said, I think that there's a few that could be left off. It's a long one. Way too long in fact. It suffers from the same problems as SW, VL, B2B to an extent, and ABB, and it ultimately subtracts from the overall experience. 15 tracks is too much. It's almost a double album. I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is. The Stones did Steel Wheels in 1989, and didn't do another records for 5 years. Between Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang it was 8 years. If they do another one next year, like Keith has been touting, it's been 11 years since the last one (In the case of Crosseyed Heart it's 23 years since Main Offender). I don't know why they, and Keith with this album, feel the need to fill it out so much. It may be because the CD medium holds more space than an LP, or it might be because they take too long between each new studio release, which then makes them want to give the fans more bang for their buck. I don't know the reason, but to make near double albums all the time is a mistake. It simply doesn't hold up.
Crosseyed Heart has a lot of good tracks. Love Overdue is great. So is Heartstopper and Crosseyed Heart (The track). I could've told you this before it was released, but Keith is at his best when he goes outside his own bubble. It's a good album, but it should have been cut down to 10 or 11 tracks. One thing Keith, and The Stones for that matter, have forgotten is that quality is more important than quality. Make 20 tracks. Pick the 10 best ones and let them wrestle each other for a while. Then you'll find the best order. Get a street artist to do your cover and you have an album.
I like the album. I like it. It's good, but too long.
That's about the length of the album and that's my main gripe. The actual playing on the album is very good. Ok, maybe it can be a bit too much to hear Steve Jordan do his loose rock drumming for this long, but he holds up well. Keith is very sharp and focused in THAT very Keefy way, which is always a pleasure to hear. The lyrics is a bit more up and down. There's some stunning ones and some by-the-numbers ones. Overall on the good side.
This album is on the good side too, but I expected it to be more or less what it turned out to be (Call me old fashioned, but I need a few more surprises).
It's probably still too early to say, but it's not as good as Talk Is Cheap, but better than Main Offender.
All that said, he doesn't owe anything to anybody and he can do whatever he damn well pleases. I just wish that..... You know..... He could have made it shorter.

Sincerely
A big fan of Keef.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 20, 2015 21:20

German TV-station 'Das Erste': Keith-interview in the culture-magazine "ttt" - today, 20-Sept-2015, 23:40.

[www.daserste.de]

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 21:36

JumpingKentFlash
It's good, but too long

This is the first album I got on Vinyl since the late 80's, when I was a kid.
I must say that this changes the listening experience enormously.
I'm not talking about the sound quality per sé, but the actual listening to the songs.
With a cd there's a straight line off songs that come in one by one, what makes that I lose attention at certain points. With the lp I really enjoy every single track, as every track seems to get a much stronger identity, because I connect it to a side of the record.
That said: this record is not too long (for me anyway). It's a great double LP, with 4 sides, each of them with their own particular charm.
=> I love this new album!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 20, 2015 21:38

Well said JumpinKentFlash. Played it a couple times so far and that's basically my review. Overall I think it's a wonderful piece of work but wish it could have been pushed down to 10 songs. Maybe there's a cool and special way to release 5 more? Anyhow so nice to hear Keef in 2015 and I'm enjoying it.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: September 20, 2015 21:59

Anyone who preordered on KeithRichards.com got a signed CD/vinyl? Post your experiences here!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 20, 2015 22:17

TDive25,

I agree completely! Vinyl just changes the listening experience. I recently got Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon on vinyl and the same thing! Awesome album, I wouldn't change a thing, I didn't want it to end when listening to it the first few spins.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 22:18

I do not agree when you say that the disk is too long! it's the music that counts and these 15 tracks is confirmed!!! for me it is on par talk is cheap and some tracks are even better....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 20, 2015 22:24

I understand the too long sentiments but....considering this is probably the last record we'll ever get from Keith, I'm OK that he put a goodly number of songs on it. It's pretty clear that some of the ones some people don't like are favorites for other people.

I like the fact that he put all the cards on the table, in this day and age it is so easy to make playlists of your favorite cuts and program out the tunes you don't like that he's bound to make more people happy with 15 tracks. Unless you are listening to this exclusively on vinyl, it's a non issue really. If Keith liked the tunes well enough to include them, that's good enough for me.

Want a ten song CEH record? You can make one in about 2 minutes. smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 22:33

Naturalust
I understand the too long sentiments but....considering this is probably the last record we'll ever get from Keith, I'm OK that he put a goodly number of songs on it. It's pretty clear that some of the ones some people don't like are favorites for other people.

I like the fact that he put all the cards on the table, in this day and age it is so easy to make playlists of your favorite cuts and program out the tunes you don't like that he's bound to make more people happy with 15 tracks. Unless you are listening to this exclusively on vinyl, it's a non issue really. If Keith liked the tunes well enough to include them, that's good enough for me.

I agree. It used to be you were limited in the number of tracks you could fit on a slab of vinyl. These days, why not include the other 2-3 tracks you'd finished up?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:15

JumpingKentFlash
It's good, but too long

I wouldn`t mind if it was 24h long.
your review ...from facebuck though, yeah that's kinda long.eye rolling smiley

Date: September 20, 2015 23:16

JumpingKentFlash

A lot of people (In truth around 6 or 7) has been asking me what I think of Crosseyed Heart. So here's my review:

I've had the album for a few weeks. It was sent to me by a good friend, who I'm not sure wants his name out here. It was secretly recorded at the listening party that was held some time ago. Now that I've heard it on Spotify I can sum up my thoughts about it.

Well, where to start? I like it a lot. Let that be known to begin with. That said, I think that there's a few that could be left off. It's a long one. Way too long in fact. It suffers from the same problems as SW, VL, B2B to an extent, and ABB, and it ultimately subtracts from the overall experience. 15 tracks is too much. It's almost a double album. I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is. The Stones did Steel Wheels in 1989, and didn't do another records for 5 years. Between Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang it was 8 years. If they do another one next year, like Keith has been touting, it's been 11 years since the last one (In the case of Crosseyed Heart it's 23 years since Main Offender). I don't know why they, and Keith with this album, feel the need to fill it out so much. It may be because the CD medium holds more space than an LP, or it might be because they take too long between each new studio release, which then makes them want to give the fans more bang for their buck. I don't know the reason, but to make near double albums all the time is a mistake. It simply doesn't hold up.
Crosseyed Heart has a lot of good tracks. Love Overdue is great. So is Heartstopper and Crosseyed Heart (The track). I could've told you this before it was released, but Keith is at his best when he goes outside his own bubble. It's a good album, but it should have been cut down to 10 or 11 tracks. One thing Keith, and The Stones for that matter, have forgotten is that quality is more important than quality. Make 20 tracks. Pick the 10 best ones and let them wrestle each other for a while. Then you'll find the best order. Get a street artist to do your cover and you have an album.
That's about the length of the album and that's my main gripe. The actual playing on the album is very good. Ok, maybe it can be a bit too much to hear Steve Jordan do his loose rock drumming for this long, but he holds up well. Keith is very sharp and focused in THAT very Keefy way, which is always a pleasure to hear. The lyrics is a bit more up and down. There's some stunning ones and some by-the-numbers ones. Overall on the good side.
This album is on the good side too, but I expected it to be more or less what it turned out to be (Call me old fashioned, but I need a few more surprises).
It's probably still too early to say, but it's not as good as Talk Is Cheap, but better than Main Offender.
All that said, he doesn't owe anything to anybody and he can do whatever he damn well pleases. I just wish that..... You know..... He could have made it shorter.

Sincerely
A big fan of Keef.

is there a shorter version of this review?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:30

"is there a shorter version of this review"?

YES, this is from www.nzentgraf.de. hot smiley

All this TALK about CROSSEYED HEART IS CHEAP. Keep it simple:

KEITH RICHARDS.
CD 'Crosseyed Heart' (Mindless Records 4739400). Producers: KR & Steve Jordan. Sound engineer: Dave O'Donnell. Recorded mainly in New York City,
at Germano Studios, between 2011 - 2014. Additional recording at One EastRecording, New York City; Brooklyn Recording, New York City & RoyalRecording Studios, Memphis, Tennessee.
- Crosseyed Heart (KR)
- Heartstopper (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Amnesia (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Robbed Blind (KR)
- Trouble (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Love Overdue (Gregory Isaacs)
- Nothing On Me (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Suspicious (KR)
- Blues In The Morning (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Something For Nothing (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Illusion (KR/Steve Jordan/Norah Jones)
- Just A Gift (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Goodnight Irene (Huddie Ledbetter/John Loma)....little thumbs down
- Substantial Damage (KR/Steve Jordan)
- Lover's Plea (KR/Steve Jordan/David Porter)
+ Love Overdue (Gregory Isaacs) -Japanese and US Best Buy-bonustrack;
alternate version featuring Lee "Scratch" Perry on additional vocalssmoking smiley
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 23:32 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:35

Keith met Lee Perry ?
a video of the recording would be great.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: September 20, 2015 23:38

open-g
JumpingKentFlash
It's good, but too long

I wouldn`t mind if it was 24h long.
your review ...from facebuck though, yeah that's kinda long.eye rolling smiley

I guess the length of the album warrants that.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 20, 2015 23:40

Turner68
JumpingKentFlash

Sincerely
A big fan of Keef.

is there a shorter version of this review?

The time it took you to press the quote button, then writing that sentence, then post it..... You'd have been at least 1/3 through it. Just read it if it has any interest.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 20, 2015 23:43

Hound Dog
TDive25,

I agree completely! Vinyl just changes the listening experience. I recently got Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon on vinyl and the same thing! Awesome album, I wouldn't change a thing, I didn't want it to end when listening to it the first few spins.

I can't comment on it like that. I haven't heard it on vinyl, so my review is based solely on a direct line of listening. My dad has all the Stones albums on vinyl, and I agree that B2B especially is better when it's on that medium. Still, I could cut a few tracks off it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:46

THe lyrics throughout this record are pretty bad. Such tired 'moon,June,spoon' rhymes and 'She's so (good,bad,nice,nasty take your pick).
Most of the songs feel like sketches and ideas,not fully constructed songs.
Why oh why is there 6 minutes of Goodnight Irene??
Lover's Plea is embarrassingly bad,I had to force myself not to turn it of.Just a crap song.
This record took 20 years to make?Wow,you would think there would be some good songs on it.
This is the work of a man with nothing to prove and nothing left to say and no one to tell him,'maybe we should work on that a little."
Well made and competent and not overly 'Bad',just not really that good.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:50

Try some Gram Parsons.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:52

Turner68
Naturalust

I agree. It used to be you were limited in the number of tracks you could fit on a slab of vinyl. These days, why not include the other 2-3 tracks you'd finished up?

Because it can "damage" the first (and possibly lasting) impression of an album in case you have too many similar sounding and/or weaker songs on it which is usually the case with albums above the 40 minute-limit from the good 'ole vinyl days. You risk that even the better tracks get buried or "lost" in a seemingly endless stream of music. Double albums that don't overstay their welcome are pretty rare - Exile, Blonde On Blonde, London Calling, Physical Graffitti spring to mind...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:58

72hotrocks
THe lyrics throughout this record are pretty bad. Such tired 'moon,June,spoon' rhymes and 'She's so (good,bad,nice,nasty take your pick).
Lover's Plea is embarrassingly bad,I had to force myself not to turn it of.Just a crap song.
This record took 20 years to make?Wow,you would think there would be some good songs on it.
This is the work of a man with nothing to prove and nothing left to say and no one to tell him,'maybe we should work on that a little."

And now we all have your (minority) opinion.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 21, 2015 00:00

toomuchforme
Keith met Lee Perry ?
a video of the recording would be great.

- NYC September 23rd 2013 (courtesy of byebyejohnny)

The above was for Keith's album but Keith was also on one of LSP's recent albums.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 21, 2015 00:09

Naturalust

Yes, and if Keith hadn't included all the tracks we'd now be trying to track them down online. Or it would be like Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang, where fans complained about certain bonus tracks being omitted. LOL

Personally, I think the length suits Crosseyed Heart better than it did either of those two Stones albums. Thematically, it reinforces the idea of Keith revisiting all of his influences and every song works to tie the concept together. For example, if I were to make a shorter version of the album, I probably wouldn't include something like Goodnight Irene or the title track. However, within the context of the album those two tracks make a lot of sense. They serve as a reminder that the album and its contents are firmly anchored in the blues.

I also don't believe the question of an album's length is all that important any more. Maybe for a younger band still trying to carve out their legacy, but not for a release such as this. If Keith had limited the album to 10 or 11 tracks, the reviews would be exactly the same. Just as the reviews for (the shorter) Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender were not significantly better or worse.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 21, 2015 00:15

alimente
Turner68
Naturalust

Because it can "damage" the first (and possibly lasting) impression of an album in case you have too many similar sounding and/or weaker songs on it which is usually the case with albums above the 40 minute-limit from the good 'ole vinyl days. You risk that even the better tracks get buried or "lost" in a seemingly endless stream of music. Double albums that don't overstay their welcome are pretty rare - Exile, Blonde On Blonde, London Calling, Physical Graffitti spring to mind...

Hmm. That's a good point I never really thought about it in those terms. First impressions are indeed important, I certainly understand what you are saying. But...I'd never let a weak song (or three) get in the way of a truly great one. The cream is always going to rise to the top, especially since everyone is always searching for a single tune that really moves them, one that you can play repeatedly and it continues to hit hard every time.

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: September 21, 2015 00:25

Ross
72hotrocks

And now we all have your (minority) opinion.

yes.now you do.My opinion of the album in this string of opinions on the album.
To be clear:I don't think there are very many good songs on Crosseyed Heart.Some nice playing,but not good songwriting.

Date: September 21, 2015 00:35

alimente
Turner68
Naturalust

Exactly! Btw shame on you for not mentioning The White Album. :-)
Jagger said that Sticky Fingers has "ridicously many slow songs".... THAT'S THE STRENGHT OF THE RECORD! It's a classic rock album and it has what.... 4 rock songs! How about Let It Bleed? 4 rockers right? What about Beggar's? 3 or 4 rockers? You do not need a lot of them. You just need a few. Quality over quantity. That's the key. Cut ABB down to 10 songs and it would have been really strong. RJ, RFD, SOL, BOMH, TPIE, LIND, DB, BM and perhaps LMDS. You simply strengthen it by shortening it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 21, 2015 00:46

Regarding the lenght of the album - I guess the best way to consume it,
and the way it (probably) was intended, would have to be the vinyl format.

you activly (get up, stand up, for your right music)
have to play four sides of it to get to the end.

It also doesn't lend itself very much to listen over headphones.
technical, analytic listening won't give much of a wow factor.

let the airwaves flow, over some speakers (the bigger the better) and fill the room.
heart felt ballads need empathecic listeners.

Date: September 21, 2015 00:48

Naturalust
alimente
Turner68
Naturalust

Hmm. That's a good point I never really thought about it in those terms. First impressions are indeed important, I certainly understand what you are saying. But...I'd never let a weak song (or three) get in the way of a truly great one. The cream is always going to rise to the top, especially since everyone is always searching for a single tune that really moves them, one that you can play repeatedly and it continues to hit hard every time.

absolutely. and of course if there were unreleased songs there would be gossip, bootleg, speculation and invariably threads bout "wish keith would release 'nothing on me' it's really good i don't know why it wasn't on the album" etc. indeed one of the biggest criticisms of this album is that one more shot wasn't included lol.

Date: September 21, 2015 00:52

JumpingKentFlash

The time it took you to press the quote button, then writing that sentence, then post it..... You'd have been at least 1/3 through it. Just read it if it has any interest.

Ok, I read 1/3 of it. I stopped here.

"I don't know why this is a problem for this album, and the aforementioned Stones albums, but it just is."

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 21, 2015 00:59

72hotrocks

I honestly have to say its hard for me to comprehend what planet your living on
You know full well most people on iorr and most critics like the album , so where are you coming from on this
Do your friends if you have any hate the album as much as you
can you tell me what you were expecting because this album is as good as any solo work keith has done before
The man is 72 this year but he needs no excuses
i am not like other Keith fans, if i thought this album disappointed me i would be honest and admit it
So you honestly believe there are no good songs on it
Im not keen on Infamy but there are no Infamy's on this album
The only question mark for me personally is will i still love these songs years from now, as i do with say Talk Is Cheap
Time will tell, but i really would love to know what you wanted or expected from this album
I mean if you just don't like Keith anyway why comment or even buy the record
I would not by a record by a rap artist and comment on it if i don't like that music anyway. No point

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:00

So I'm driving back home from the beach on another beautiful SoCal day listening to new Keith cruising right along w/out a care in the world.
When the cd ends with Lovers Plea, I kick it over to the FM radio to one of my pre-set local rock stations.
At that precise moment, out comes blaring the riff from If You Can't Rock Me used for Substantial Damage.
For a split second couldn't believe my ears...they're playing Substantial Damage?!!!! WTF?!!!
But alas it was the original riff from Stones' You Can't Rock Me (which is rarely played on radio these days anyways), so kept driving pondering the situation
Coincidence? Spooky? Freaky? Spririts in the air? A message from God lol? Or all of the above?
Ahhhh crazy - it's a good time to be a Keith and Rolling Stones fan. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...151152153154155156157158159160161...LastNext
Current Page: 156 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home