Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...144145146147148149150151152153154...LastNext
Current Page: 149 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 18, 2015 20:59

Record is good overall, perhaps a couple tracks long. But there are no standout songs,imo.

Glad he made the record, but I doubt I'll give it more than a couple spins.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:03

Bastion
keefriffhards
Mel Belli
Bastion
DandelionPowderman
Bastion
Extremely dated production... Makes it almost unlistenable. Do yourself a favour and get the new Libertines album instead.

Luckily, it is thumbs up A modern production would have ruined these songs.

...No it wouldn't have. Should have had someone like Stephen Street on the job. The production on this album is extremely amateur.

Wait. This is serious?

There is always one

Luckily we cant use bad language on here

But all the positive feed back is awesome

There's always one what? Honest review? Personal opinion?

The sheep on this site really need to open their ears up.

let me put it this way, If most people like the album the way it is ( old fashioned and dated ) why would it be a good thing for most of us, if Keith made the album modern as you would like it
Give it some thought, we like it, you don't.
So should Keith make an album to suit you and some modern people who are not Keith fans.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:09

Bastion
keefriffhards
Mel Belli
Bastion
DandelionPowderman
Bastion
Extremely dated production... Makes it almost unlistenable. Do yourself a favour and get the new Libertines album instead.

...No it wouldn't have. Should have had someone like Stephen Street on the job. The production on this album is extremely amateur.

Wait. This is serious?

There is always one

I'm just curious what you guys think modern and dated production is? The word is bantered around without people understanding what it is. Yeah this record was recorded on analog tape but no doubt the the tracks were all transferred to ProTool and plenty of modern production techniques were used to arrange edit and make the record. Just because it is sparse instrumentally at times doesn't imply dated (or modern) production techniques were used.

I respect everybody's opinion on here, not everyone is going to love the record, so what? But a bit better description of what specifically they are referring to concerning the production would be nice.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:13

Naturalust
Bastion
keefriffhards
Mel Belli
Bastion
DandelionPowderman
Bastion

Wait. This is serious?

There is always one

I'm just curious what you guys think modern and dated production is? The word is bantered around without people understanding what it is. Yeah this record was recorded on analog tape but no doubt the the tracks were all transferred to ProTool and plenty of modern production techniques were used to arrange edit and make the record. Just because it is sparse instrumentally at times doesn't imply dated (or modern) production techniques were used.

I respect everybody's opinion on here, not everyone is going to love the record, so what? But a bit better description of what specifically they are referring to concerning the production would be nice.

Maybe they mean an autotuner lol
Worst invention ever for vocals

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:24

Bastion
keefriffhards
Mel Belli
Bastion
DandelionPowderman
Bastion

Wait. This is serious?

There is always one

Open to what? I hear nothing wrong w/ the production. Are the songs good or not? That is what matters most.

BTW, keep in mind, in the old days, people spun scratched up vinyl on mono giant record players with horrible needles and were able to enjoy the music just fine.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:39

Stop the BS.
Production-wise the record is very good.
I didn´t like what Jordan did with Jon Spencer; but this is goog.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:45

I ordered it from amazon.co.uk, pre-ordered I should say, and it was due for delivery today, 18/09/2015. As of yet, it hasn't arrived. I cannot wait to encounter the courier, as like Keith, I'm going to "Show him the blade". Really annoyed over this !

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:51

Did I already tell you all that I just love the album?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:53

I thought Robbed Blind was outstanding. I was blown away. Have to really dig into the rest of the album, but just thought that song was incredible. Am I alone in that?

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:57

in fact the modern Mick is horrible.!! better the old keith

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:58

RollingFreak
I thought Robbed Blind was outstanding. I was blown away. Have to really dig into the rest of the album, but just thought that song was incredible. Am I alone in that?
No that's a good one..Nothin on Me, Blues in Morning & Substantial Damage are my favs

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:13

is anybody here received the order from keithrichards.com?

my order says "not yet shiped" it was supposed would be send on this date?!?!?!

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:13

Yeah, it arrived today! Got my cd bundle with shirt today surprisingly. It was only shipped from th UK on Wednesday. So. as I didn't expect it to show up today, I went to town after work and bought it at Saturn shop the old fashioned way and now have it double.

But man, I'm really glad about this album, it's fantastic! Due to some nice folks here I could listen to it before, but now on a proper set up it's just amazing. It just comes over and takes you in with being mellow over all with some exceptions and a very down to earth, natural flow that carries through the album start to finish.

Keith's voice is fantastic, the guitar so soothing to listen to, picking up marvellous lyric bits, very well done overall!

Sorry for writing inconsistently, on listening round 3 tonight and just in love with this album.

Favorite tracks at the moment: Suspicious, Nothing on Me, Robbed Blind, Illusion, Lovers Plea, Heartstopper.

Potential skip songs: Blues in the Morning, Something for Nothing.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:15

Love this album. I bought the CD but I might spring for the vinyl as well.

Posted by: MrBird65 ()

Great Album... after listening 5 times to it.. better than the last...albums by the band, just my opinion...There's an atmosphere of jamming, beeing creative, letting loose, just playing... I'm missing in the Stones's last albums.

Posted by: Naturalust ()

kid killowatt
Stop the BS.

Generally the drum sounds, use of multilayered tracks, how the vocals are recorded, how loud the main and B/g vocals are in the mix, how other instruments are flown into the song, choice of instrumentation, and where everything sits in the stereo field are the elements of production that I consider when analyzing the production quality of a record.

Of course the best ones have you noticing and complementing the techniques and the worst ones have you cursing the methods that get in the way of the song. Often times they are just transparent to the average listener and leave you hearing and feeling the song's emotional content and artist performance factors more than anything else.

Some people say "I don't care about production, just listen to the song, you like it or you don't", but imo those people don't understand that the production can make or break a tune and just aren't interested in the methods and science of recording music. No worries, to each their own.

With the exception of the drum sound and mix on a couple of tracks on this new record, I think they have done a great job. The production seems to serve the songs and improve their delivery in most cases. I'd go so far as to say this is a good sign for the next Stones record, since Keith has delivered just what he wants to hear and I think the production on CrossEyed Heart would work very well for The Rolling Stones. Perhaps Steve Jordan is the man for the job. They have had pretty amazing success using a producer who was a drummer in the past. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 22:23 by Naturalust.

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:17

RollingFreak

Completely agree, it just knocks you down.

Date: September 18, 2015 22:45

with sssoul
Mine's still not here 8[[/quote]

Same here sad smiley

Date: September 18, 2015 22:52

Just want to say the netflix film was brilliant
It showed the real Keith, behind all the image, and what came across was lovely
He don't hide his age or wrinkles, he just is what he is
A man happy in his skin, proud of his loves and achievements, and still loyal to the Stones and their fans
He seems high on music and life, and so he should be

Now when is my damn album going to arrive so i can talk about it lol

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:05

I agree, but have in mind that there is some kind of "signature" Steve Jordan snare drum sound that this time is not really that present.
I like that sound (think of "Running Too Deep"), but some people get annoyed by that kind of sound.

This time snare and cymbals are mork dark, organic, more Charlie Watts sounding (just to compare with a familiar sound for all of us)

Hear "Nothing On Me"....that´s a typical Charlie beat....what is missing is the fills....but it´s there.

Personally I think Jordan is a master in his own class, a very creative and soulful drummer.

Naturalust
kid killowatt
Stop the BS.

Generally the drum sounds, use of multilayered tracks, how the vocals are recorded, how loud the main and B/g vocals are in the mix, how other instruments are flown into the song, choice of instrumentation, and where everything sits in the stereo field are the elements of production that I consider when analyzing the production quality of a record.

Of course the best ones have you noticing and complementing the techniques and the worst ones have you cursing the methods that get in the way of the song. Often times they are just transparent to the average listener and leave you hearing and feeling the song's emotional content and artist performance factors more than anything else.

Some people say "I don't care about production, just listen to the song, you like it or you don't", but imo those people don't understand that the production can make or break a tune and just aren't interested in the methods and science of recording music. No worries, to each their own.

With the exception of the drum sound and mix on a couple of tracks on this new record, I think they have done a great job. The production seems to serve the songs and improve their delivery in most cases. I'd go so far as to say this is a good sign for the next Stones record, since Keith has delivered just what he wants to hear and I think the production on CrossEyed Heart would work very well for The Rolling Stones. Perhaps Steve Jordan is the man for the job. They have had pretty amazing success using a producer who was a drummer in the past. lol

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:38

RollingFreak

It is one of my favorites so far too.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:43

winos
TeddyB1018
winos
Just bought the cd today the songs are interesting, playing is great but I think the engineering & production are ordinary, it sounds a bit sparse and muddy plus Keith's vocals are a bit too close up in the mix.

I'd guess that all your descriptions of the production were the intent.

Dig the Lenny quote by way of KR...

What was Lenny's quote?

Edit: Oops. I see it's been answered a few times...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 23:45 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:49

I'm gonna wait for the vinyl....website says vinyl will be out Oct 9

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:53

kowalski
Bastion
DandelionPowderman
Bastion

The new Libertines album, while quite enjoyable, sounds very clean and a bit too modernish. It makes me wish they had hired again Mick Jones as producer like on their first two albums.

On the other hand, Keith's album sounds very fresh to me because you just listen to him and his band playing together with no additional production. The fact that Keith has written many great songs helps a lot too of course... smiling smiley

Exactly this. The Libs' album suffers for the lack of spark they achieved in last from playing as a band, and the "modern" touches emphasize the flaws. Keith and Jordan's production does the opposite. As with the first two Libertines albums, there are lots of subtle overdubs and "sweetening", as they called it in the old days, almost disappearing into the mix, all very sympathetic to the organic whole. Stephen Street, who was passed over for the Libertines record, is a good pop producer, but neither Keith nor the Libertines would be better off for it. Pete Doherty and Babyshambles need such a producer because they don't have a sound since Pat Walden left. The Libertines have a sound, which Jake Gosling failed to capture, and Keith and company definitely have a sound.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:18

Turner68
RollingFreak

It is one of my favorites so far too.

I love that one as well. Overall I think this is an outstanding effort.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:21

So much for pre-ordering from Keith's site..I've still not got the cd & now I got an email saying the pic's & case I've preordered 30 days ago, I'm going to have to wait another 30 days for since they're out!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:23

aftergeography
I'm gonna wait for the vinyl....website says vinyl will be out Oct 9

Got mine today. Ordered at bol.com Netherlands.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 19, 2015 00:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 18:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:27

SOMETHING FOR NOTHING with the Harlem Gospel choir is also stunning. Driving today in my car( and I am not a sentimental guy at all) but JUST A GIFT was on and the music just swept over me totally and I could feel myself tearing up. The part near the end " thats all right, thats all right, thats all right with me" I just found it totally emotional and in a good way. There is something in that song that just floors me. It's just beautiful man.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:27

Keith interview with Matt Lauer of NBC's "Today Show":

[www.today.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...144145146147148149150151152153154...LastNext
Current Page: 149 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10