Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...130131132133134135136137138139140...LastNext
Current Page: 135 of 257
Re: Keith in Billboard. Plans to play solo gigs this fall.
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 11, 2015 01:01

Only A BIGGER BANG had a dud of a reception. The previous LPs sold quite well. Perhaps if they'd released a better single instead of Streets Of Love or actually played a good bit of the album on the tour.

The reissues... eh, just serious fans picked up the EXILE extra disc and the stupid extra with album SG release.

Then again, if they're releasing albums just to have x amount of sales and chart placement then they're beyond help considering more people go to see them on tour than buy their LPs. I doubt they considered STEEL WHEELS a failure because it didn't get to #1 in the US. Otherwise it was a great success and a pretty big album.

Same with VOODOO.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 11, 2015 02:00

Nowhere in that article is Richards actually quoted about a tour.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: September 11, 2015 02:01

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
Than open it and remove all doubt

Mark Twain

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 11, 2015 02:01

GasLightStreet
Only A BIGGER BANG had a dud of a reception. The previous LPs sold quite well. Perhaps if they'd released a better single instead of Streets Of Love or actually played a good bit of the album on the tour.

Wasn't Rough Justice the first single? That's about as 'Stones' as you could get.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 11, 2015 02:09

Koen

That's what i thought

Date: September 11, 2015 02:15

Koen

The thread title says all that is said in that article, which is Richards’ immediate plans are to play some small gigs with his own band in the fall. That's probably as close to a tour as he'll do, whatever it is.

Date: September 11, 2015 02:16

24FPS
GasLightStreet

Wasn't Rough Justice the first single? That's about as 'Stones' as you could get.

I thought it was but it seems that Streets Of Love was first?

There are good songs on ABB but there aren't really any singles.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2015 07:33

Regarding Keith's "disability" to both play guitar and sing at the same time while fronting a band for two hours, perhaps this is true.
But one only has to look at Bob Dylan who still tours endlessly. He doesn't play guitar anymore. He blows a few notes on the harmonica.
He plops himself behind a piano and does quite well at it. His singing* isn't to everyone's taste, but they never really were for everyone's taste.
*(sidenote: For what it's worth, I can attest that his voice is much better now than it has been for years).
While everything mentioned above sounds like it might amount to somewhat of a freak show, it actually comes off rather well.
Millions (maybe billions lol) of fans still pay to see him in person, and most are happy they have the opportunity to do so.

Bottom line: Keith could pull off the Dylan maneuver and it just might work. Get the best musicians to back him,
stand center stage, strum a guitar once in awhile, maybe a quick Chuck Berry lick, sing a few lines here and there, and basically just show up.
Perhaps it wouldn't live up to most people's expectations, but then again maybe it would surpass them.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 11, 2015 09:46

Hairball
Regarding Keith's "disability" to both play guitar and sing at the same time while fronting a band for two hours, perhaps this is true.
But one only has to look at Bob Dylan who still tours endlessly. He doesn't play guitar anymore. He blows a few notes on the harmonica.
He plops himself behind a piano and does quite well at it. His singing* isn't to everyone's taste, but they never really were for everyone's taste.
*(sidenote: For what it's worth, I can attest that his voice is much better now than it has been for years).
While everything mentioned above sounds like it might amount to somewhat of a freak show, it actually comes off rather well.
Millions (maybe billions lol) of fans still pay to see him in person, and most are happy they have the opportunity to do so.

Bottom line: Keith could pull off the Dylan maneuver and it just might work. Get the best musicians to back him,
stand center stage, strum a guitar once in awhile, maybe a quick Chuck Berry lick, sing a few lines here and there, and basically just show up.
Perhaps it wouldn't live up to most people's expectations, but then again maybe it would surpass them.

Exactly.
He still has a lot to offer on many levels
He interests me just from a ballad perspective
He could give and offer a whole lot more than you just said and that would be a bonus

Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 11, 2015 11:09

35love
Re the outstanding pics from billboard: it's eyeliner in his hand, looks to me he is mocking/
joking putting it on (it's on thick in the photos)

Thick indeed! Odd choice, but nice shots otherwise.

bye bye johnny
Err, look closer....those b & w photos are reverses of the color shots. So - which side is that "huge dent" on?

Oh, and Ahmet Ertegun didn't die in the restroom after falling at the Beacon Theater (in 2006).

Right on both counts: the b&w shots are reversed, for some reason. I hate it when they do that.
Anyway whatever he's pointing at isn't "a groove just above his hairline", so back to the drawing board, folks.
And Ahmet died in a hospital a few weeks after falling in a backstage area. Love & light to him

His Majesty
Face palm.

Keith's statement appears to be a quote from Stanley Booth's book. Ike & Tina Turner's road manager or somesuch.
Some things just stick in your mind, you know?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 11, 2015 11:10

'Crosseyed Heart' is now #3 on Amazon's rock charts.
[www.amazon.com]

Date: September 11, 2015 11:18

24FPS
GasLightStreet

Streets Of Love / Rough Justice / Back Of My Hand was their first single. They only made videos for the two former songs.

Date: September 11, 2015 11:19

Wasn't Streets of Love released 10 minutes before Rough Justice in Europe, but RJ was first in the US?
That was funny :E

Date: September 11, 2015 11:19

Hairball

And, most importantly in this case, Keith doesn't really have long lyrics for each song, does he? winking smiley

There will be a lot of guitar playing anyhow.

Date: September 11, 2015 11:21

GasLightStreet
Koen

The thread title says all that is said in that article, which is Richards’ immediate plans are to play some small gigs with his own band in the fall. That's probably as close to a tour as he'll do, whatever it is.

They just paraphrased from that earlier interview, conveniently not quoting neither Keith or Mojo smiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2015 12:37

A much better review in Dagsavisen, another norwegian paper today. A 4 on the dice as well, but certainly from a reviewer who understood the record.

The gave 5 for «Under The Influence». From what they wrote, this is a film we ought to see smiling smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:41

GasLightStreet

The reissues... eh, just serious fans picked up the EXILE extra disc and the stupid extra with album SG release.

Then again, if they're releasing albums just to have x amount of sales and chart placement then they're beyond help considering more people go to see them on tour than buy their LPs. I doubt they considered STEEL WHEELS a failure because it didn't get to #1 in the US. Otherwise it was a great success and a pretty big album.

Same with VOODOO.

Actually, this is the exact opposite of the truth, A Bigger Bang was the #1 album on the world chart (for three weeks) it was also #1 on the European charts and top 5 in many individual countries around the world. I'm not saying it was a HUGE blockbuster, but it was successful and far from the dud you suggest it was.

As far as the Exile Re-issue goes it did great for a re-issue of a 40 year old album. It hit #1 on the U.K. chart and I believe that it reached #2 in America. Again, it didn't sell huge numbers, but in this era it did quite well.

The fact of the matter is traditional albums/cd's don't sell anymore. The final numbers from ABB/Exile etc may not be huge compared to numbers from 20 years ago, BUT nobody (or very few) sells cd's in the Spotify world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-11 17:42 by James Kirk.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:56

Hairball

Two challenges:

1. Dylan has arguably the most accomplished, versatile touring band in all of pop music these days. Those guys have been on the road for YEARS. Even if you're Keith, you don't snap your fingers and make that happen.

2. Dylan sings, uhh, Dylan songs, drawing from the most important pop back catalog of the last 50 years. Keith would play, mainly, songs from three records which have had a slightly lesser impact on the world.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:59

Keith Richards, rock'n'roll's most unlikely survivor

September 12, 2015

By Nick O'Malley

Mark Seliger

[www.theage.com.au]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:00

B.B. King could sing and play at the same time either, so Keith is at least in good company thumbs up

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:08

Hairball

he does this at every Stones show for two songs – but it does't work all the time and it surely won't work for more than two or three songs. Lots of people only stand it/accept it because they know that Mick's going to be back soon

Date: September 11, 2015 18:27

Back to Amnesia for a while, if that's okay:
Keith changes the subject near the end of the song from a memory disorder
to the state of being someone that total strangers know "everything" about.
Never having been in that situation (well, except when the secret police were interested in me)
I wonder if that discrepancy sometimes feels like a mental disorder.
I mean: We're (arguably, anyway!) the weirdos for absorbing as many details as we can about Keith,
but to him does it sometimes feel like there's something off-balance with him, that he looks at us
and doesn't know who the hell we are?

Actually maybe it's not a change of subject after all.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:34

Naturalust
Turner68
keefriffhards
Naturalust
Hairball
“The Grateful Dead is where everybody got it wrong,” he scoffs. “Just poodling about for hours and hours. Jerry Garcia, boring shit, man. Sorry, Jerry.”

Hahaha - Sgt Peppers, Black Sabbath, Rap, and now the Grateful Dead.
Looking forward to what's next on Keith's shit list. drinking smiley

Keith probably quit listening to contemporary music some time in the late 70's, it's hard to take anything he says about other artists after that point very seriously. I can only imagine the last Dead record or live show Keith actually listened to was Working Mans Dead. lol

I actually agree with Keith on what music he thinks is crap these days, and so do a lot of people i know
Why do you always assume you know Keith well enough to know what music he listens too.
Its really bugging me
Stop imagining you know the last Grateful Dead CD Keith listened to etc
I like your posts until you get on the subject of Keith, you refer to him like he is an old fool, stuck in the past
Nothing so far about this new album is embarrassingly old in style, out of date or past it. My teenage sons like it and they are very critical of ''old music''
Like myself, Keith probably figured out years ago that most contemporary music these days is not for most music lovers
The industry is pitiful these days, but there is so much fantastic music out there, but not on radio 1 or the chart show or whatever equivalent you have in the US
Naturalust, do you think we should all get into music made for teeny boppers to have more credibility lol winking smiley

sometime i think keith must have really offended naturalist back at their legendary meeting in mexico in the early 80s....

lol. C'mon guys get real here. Have I actually come across as some sort of guy who feels Keith is out of it or something? He's actually my favorite Stone by far and I have lots of love and respect for the guy. Just because I don't like every song I've heard on his new record doesn't change that. He certainly doesn't need you defending him from any critique or opinion here on iorr.

Keith has actually said he doesn't listen to much modern music, it's certainly not a big stretch to assume he hasn't listened to much Grateful Dead. Keith has also said he listens to classical and a lot of roots and early blues, jazz and R & B. Music for teeny boppers? No riffhards, contemporary music means present day music, not chart topping music, teeny bopper music or Radio 1 music. Modern pop music is mostly crap but there are actually a lot of contemporary artists making excellent new music!

If you really believe Keith is up to date on such things you probably don't know Keith very well. Go back to some of the old interviews and Keith will confirm it for you himself. That's what I'm basing my opinion on and that's why me (and others) take it with a grain of salt when he talks about artists he probably doesn't know much about. Keith doesn't like the Dead, of course he isn't going to spend any time listening to them. grinning smiley

(btw riffhards, he's been asked the question about what he listens to many times so it shouldn't be that hard to educate yourself a bit)

As far as my time with Keith in Baja, it only made me more of a fan actually. The guy was nice, down to earth, fun, happy and generous beyond any expectations I had. His tip at the end of his trip was huge!

If you read the Billboard article Keith mentions Ed Sheeran and Florence Welsh as artists he actually likes. Did you read the article?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:39

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
can we at least agree that Keith is right about the grateful dead?
smileys with beer

Nope.

Ditto.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:57

Maindefender
If you read the Billboard article Keith mentions Ed Sheeran and Florence Welsh as artists he actually likes. Did you read the article?

Yeah I read the article. But I've heard Keith say many times (including in that article) that he doesn't listen to (can't tolerate) contemporary music too. It's possible his daughters have exposed him to some but more likely he learns about these new artists after they have been offered a spot or considered for an opening slot for the Stones. It's more than a bit suspicious that the two artists he mentions he can "tolerate" both had recent opening gigs for them. Hell he couldn't even remember Florence Welsh's last name. I would speculate Keith had never heard either of them before hand, doesn't listen to them now and mentioned them based purely on their association and performances on Stones tours.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2015 19:01

LongBeachArena72
Hairball

Two challenges:

1. Dylan has arguably the most accomplished, versatile touring band in all of pop music these days. Those guys have been on the road for YEARS. Even if you're Keith, you don't snap your fingers and make that happen.

2. Dylan sings, uhh, Dylan songs, drawing from the most important pop back catalog of the last 50 years. Keith would play, mainly, songs from three records which have had a slightly lesser impact on the world.

Well yes Longbeach, you're right on both counts.
I must admit my mind was creatively wandering a bit late last night when I concocted this possible scenario. smoking smiley
But now that I read it this morning clear-headed, maybe it's not a good idea after all. lol

Date: September 11, 2015 19:15

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball

Two challenges:

Well yes Longbeach, you're right on both counts.
I must admit my mind was creatively wandering a bit late last night when I concocted this possible scenario. smoking smiley
But now that I read it this morning clear-headed, maybe it's not a good idea after all. lol

Don't sell yourself short Hairball, your ideas were good ones. After reading your post I realized that at some level, Keith just showing up is probably all that would be necessary to draw a decent crowd and hand picked musicians could obviously carry the majority of the weight. Hell, Keith could stand up there and tell stories half the show and entertain us very well. But I'm not sure his musician's pride would allow him to do anything other than truly lead a band playing his music at this point. And I'm pretty sure it would be difficult for him to pull it off at this point.

Date: September 11, 2015 19:20

I'm pretty sure Keith listens to contemporary artists like The Black Keys, Gary Clarke and Jack White - musicians within his genre. What he mainly is dissing is music he doesn't like, often when asked what he thinks of specific artists.

Like mentioned above, he also likes Florence Welsh and Ed Sheeran.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 19:26

i don't like the grateful dead. should i go post on a daily basis on the grateful dead forum that i don't like their music, that i don't think their tour will be successful, or that i think their fans are silly?

i'm very curious to know what you guys think. my gut says not to, since it's not in my nature, but watching some of the posts on this topic about keith's new album makes me think there must be some joy in such things?

Date: September 11, 2015 20:09

DandelionPowderman
I'm pretty sure Keith listens to contemporary artists like The Black Keys, Gary Clarke and Jack White - musicians within his genre. What he mainly is dissing is music he doesn't like, often when asked what he thinks of specific artists.

Like mentioned above, he also likes Florence Welsh and Ed Sheeran.

I think the words were that he tolerates them....a bit different than saying he likes them. And as I've said I think his even mentioning them has more to do with them opening shows for the Stones than anything else. You could be right about those other artists, but I wouldn't be so sure. I think Keith's listening habits are firmly rooted in the blues, jazz, R&B, classical and early rock that influenced him.

Probably listens to all of Tom Waits records though. winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...130131132133134135136137138139140...LastNext
Current Page: 135 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home