Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 9, 2015 21:00

I'm not sure if it was posted before, but here's a trailer of his upcoming "Under the Influence" documentary:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 9, 2015 21:04

thumbs up

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 9, 2015 21:05

Haven't seen it before. So thank you very much for linking it here on iorr Cristiano.

Thank you!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:12

Cristiano Radtke
I'm not sure if it was posted before, but here's a trailer of his upcoming "Under the Influence" documentary:

[www.youtube.com]

Nice!thumbs up

Goes beautifully with the theme of his new album. Keith seems to have taken very seriously his role as a 'roots man'. Of course, that's always been his thing, at least to an extent, but now he is taken it to the extreme. And I think that's suits him very well. That old rock'n'roller talking about the 'real' music (and not just talking...). And somehow all that is like going back to the beginning from it all started; the circle is completed.

I guess part of this high-profile (record, movie, trillion interviews, net campaigns) spokes-man of 'roots music' is to bash any music that is in odds with it: rap, heavy rock, Pepper's, and of course, a bit Jagger...grinning smiley

Personally, I like very much more Keith Richards of this new project of CROSSEYED HEART/UNDER THE INFLUENCE than that of LIFE. Even though I think the latter was a kind of starting point to the 'new', mature, autonomous Keith Richards, and getting, I guess painfully, rid of from his supposed mental life sentence with The Rolling Stones (being married to Mick Jagger). The (healing) process also seemingly included the idea of retirement, which as far as I can interpret, was even actual for some time. Did some good to THE band as well..

I like the stories with a happy ending...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-09 22:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:13

wow that was a pretty cool trailer...he just may still be the coolest guy on the planet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-09 22:14 by mgguy.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:17

Muddy did not live there at the time of the checkerboard jams..he had fled to the burbs

Date: September 9, 2015 22:20

dadrob
Muddy did not live there at the time of the checkerboard jams..he had fled to the burbs

And still painting that damn ceil... aah, never mind...grinning smiley

-Doxa

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:35

...and now CH is #4!! hot smiley
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:36

Great summary of the context for the album Doxa. When music has been as good to someone as it has to Keith it is good to see him giving a nod where it's due and getting the word out about the roots of modern music.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:45

Thanks Cristiano,

great to watch, a very promising trailer.

hopefully some magic miracle will happen to fill the netflix gap.
not every country can get this, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-09 23:11 by open-g.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:49

ok great looking trailer..

he won't ever stop playing, just maybe take longer breaks..cool smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 9, 2015 23:02

Keith's said since Steel Wheels(my recollection) he's wanted to see it thru, watch Rock n' Roll grow up. Well, he's broken thru to the other side and did himself and me proud. drinking smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 10, 2015 00:18

Maindefender
Keith's said since Steel Wheels(my recollection) he's wanted to see it thru, watch Rock n' Roll grow up. Well, he's broken thru to the other side and did himself and me proud. drinking smiley

And me thumbs up smiling smiley

Date: September 10, 2015 00:29

Maindefender

Exactly! That's also the observation I have made, with that old quote of his in my mind. I think he is at the moment writing a great last (?) chapter in his incredible story, and making his legacy even more effective and important.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 10, 2015 00:38

Cristiano Radtke

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 10, 2015 00:47

Thanks Cristiano. Looking forward to it.
Jeroen

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 10, 2015 00:57

Doxa
Maindefender

Exactly! That's also the observation I have made, with that old quote of his in my mind. I think he is at the moment writing a great last (?) chapter in his incredible story, and making his legacy even more effective and important.

- Doxa

Hi Doxa
You have changed your mind about Keith's album since yesterday then
You was very lukewarm about it saying the Stones aren't missing anything here and that Keith's bus for greatness is long gone, you express words like the songs are a cheap shot and light weight. You said if you wanted to hear reggae or blues you would not listen to keith's
Now your saying he is writing a great last chapter in his incredible journey

Im confused confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-10 01:03 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2015 01:07

Crosseyed Mind ...... hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2015 01:24

Save me...

Date: September 10, 2015 01:35

wow that looks like a great documentary!

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: September 10, 2015 02:33

Just want to say, twas nice while driving today to hear on my local "roots and rock" radio station: "Up next, Bob Dylan, a classic live cut from Neil Young, and the latest from Keith Richards ..." cool smileyThat is all.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: September 10, 2015 02:48

At first I thought it my not be a good idea that keith should do a solo tour 90 minutes of playing and singing might be too much for him at his age but Damn I sure would like to see him do amnesia live that song is a cool funky rock song love it. He just might be able to pull it off!

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 10, 2015 03:13

Hearing it placed as it was in the trailer tipped it for me: Keith does a little bit of "Dancing with Mr. D" in that Amnesia lick.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2015 04:03

Lots of great stuff happening in the world of Keith - we are lucky to witness! thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 10, 2015 04:04

ohmercy61
At first I thought it my not be a good idea that keith should do a solo tour 90 minutes of playing and singing might be too much for him at his age but Damn I sure would like to see him do amnesia live that song is a cool funky rock song love it. He just might be able to pull it off!

He could definitely pull off a song or two! Perhaps we might get a performance as early as his The Tonight Show appearance on Sept. 18th. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 10, 2015 05:04

[www.billboard.com]

in the USA Keith is on the cover of Billboard which streets tomorrow. If someone can scan it that would be great. My local Barnes and Noble doesnt carry it anymore.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 10, 2015 10:02

dadrob

Keith was invited there in '64 or '65.

Date: September 10, 2015 11:28

Review of Crosseyed Heart in VG, one of the biggest newspapers in Norway:

[www.vg.no]

Translation:

Can't sing, hardly a melody

ALBUM: ROCK

Keith Richards

«Crosseyed Heart»

(Republic/Universal)

The expectations were sky-high 28 years ago, when Keith Richards finally made his solo debut with «Talk Is Cheap».

Conservative, ortodox Stones fans – are there other kinds of Stones fans? – gloated: This will be real rock'n'roll! Keith, free of that bugger Jagger, the vain frontman who brought in modern abominations like reggae, funk and – worst of all – disco to the Stones, it was time for Mick to learn how it's supposed to be done.

The recipe would stem from a villa in the south of France in 1972, and «Talk Is Cheap» was supposed to make the cliche real: «The best since Exile On Main Street!».

What they got, however, was an album with rhythms, coloured by an idiosyncratic form of staccato, metallic New Orleans swamp rock, conceived in the intersection between Richards's half-finished riffs and Steve Jordan's funky drum playing. So full of holes and light on catchy choruses that the album could be taken as a kind of dub.

The album also had some reggae, the newest form of black music that Richards can accept.

However, it wasn't a blues album – neither a Stones album. It wasn't bad, but it surely wasn't what people had expected.

When he now releases his third solo album (Main Offender was released in 1992), the expectations are more realistic.

Nobody are fooled to believe that Richards still is sitting on hundreds of genius guitar riffs, riffs that dandy boy Mick refused him to use in the Stones. We also know that it is solely because of Jagger that the Stones are still on the road, as well as it is «the apprentice» Ronnie Wood who's doing all the heavy guitarwork when the Stones circus hits the stage nowadays.

«Crosseyed Heart» is profitting on the absence of expectations. The crew is the same as on the two previous albums: Drummer Steve Jordan has written the songs in partnership with «The Human Riff».

The old LA studio rat, Waddy Wachtel helps on electric guitar. Ivan Neville from the powerful New Orleans Clan who goes by the same last name (Richards was a big fan of The Meters in the 70s), is tickling the ivories. Keef himself handles the bass as well as some piano.

The sound is the same skeleton-ish sound as on his previous records. This is recorded on analog tape, for you who find that important anymore.

Keith's guitar playing is fine on this album, especially when we take into consideration that many fans have been worried about his abilities in recent years. The sound of that Telecaster is unique, but Jordan's name should also have been on the cover of this album, together with Richards's.

The material is more varied, with more emphasis on country-ringing tunes and melancholic «we're on the third bottle of wine – late night-soul ballads» a la All About You (Emotional Rescue 1980).

«Robbed Blind», «Just A Gift», «Suspicious», «Lover’s Plea» (great horns) and the tired shanty «Goodnight Irene». The best track is «Illusion» with Norah Jones, much due to her performance. She has grown to be a Emmylou Harris of her time – a guardian angel for off key-singing, rusty male vocalists.

The first cut, the title track, is an acoustic delta blues, abrubted halfway through. The not so charming first single «Trouble» and «Hearstopper» could easily have graced a latter-day Stones album. Jordan's drumming on these tracks is a downright parody on Charlie Watts's stiff, swinging style.

The roadhouse boogie «Blues In The Morning» features the late Bobby Keys on honky tonkin' barytone sax. Not quite Rip This Joint, but in that neighbourhood.

«Amnesia»: Rough, muddy bluesrock a la Tom Waits or latter day Bob Dylan. «Love Overdue»: Sweet reggae, with a twisted horn section, lovely drumsound and a remarkably steady vocal performance.

«Nothing On Me» is the best melody on the album, but that doesn't really say much. A Stones friendly tune, but more Stones a la «Steel Wheels» (1989) than «Sticky Fingers» (1971). Like we all know, there is a distinct difference.

«Something For Nothing» also strives after a kind of pop music formula, without succeeding. However, it improves with the choir and – hey – maracas!

The funniest, and most similar to the dark funk on the two previous albums, is «Substantial Damage», where Keith yells like Captain Beefheart, and Jordan's snare bangs salvation-like.

You have to enjoy the SOUND of this. The quality of songs is low, almost transparent, but it is fun to listen to – more fun than the latest Rolling Stones album «A Bigger Bang» from 2005. Yep, I really think so.

Take this, mean «Brenda»!

BEST SONG: «Substantial Damage»

MORTEN STÅLE NILSEN

* «Brenda» is, like all who have read Richards’s autobiography «Life» knows, Keiths mean nickname on Jagger.

Date: September 10, 2015 11:38

Wow. Thanks for the translation, I haven't heard the whole new album yet, so I can't "review the review" but I can say that the reviewer totally mischaracterizes the atmosphere ( at least in the States) for when Talk Is Cheap came out...

in the states the expectations were not very high for Talk Is Cheap, Keith was considered very questionable as a vocalist, Mick's solo albums had failed and yet were seen as a very public rebuke of Keith as a partner, and Dirty Work was awful. There was every reason to believe the Stones and Keith in particular were washed up. Talk is Cheap was the first success anyone with the Stones had had since Undercover, and it surprised nearly everyone.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-10 11:42 by Turner68.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 10, 2015 12:27

Useless reviews. This album is genuine, played with heart and soul...and now is #3 on Amazon's rock chart.
Go Keef!
[www.amazon.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home