Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 8, 2015 00:49

now I am a prisoner of loneliness. that's what I am. I just don't know what to do. its making me blue. just stop it. baby.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 01:00 by tumbled.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2015 00:57

DandelionPowderman
The breakdown is classic for reggae and dub. Nice to hear Keith doing it. The horns sound Caribbean to me. Great, great track thumbs up

Yes, sounds pure enough to me - I'd say Keith has done his homework throughout the years (living in Jamaica, etc.) and has conquered the genre quite well!
And with the extended version it might even get "weirder" for those unfamiliar with dub -
filled with loads of echo, instruments and vocals dropping in and out of the mix, abrupt changes, etc., etc., etc. - I hope so!!!
With Lee Perry behind the mixing desk, it's bound to be as true reggae and dub as one can possibly get.
After all, Lee Perry produced some of Bob Marley and the Wailers greatest tunes in the early days!
And in the mid-late '70s, he and his Black Ark studio produced thousands of the best reggae and dub tunes ever made.

Along with Harder They Come, there's quite a few other movies to see:

Rockers. Similiar in style to Harder They Come with a storyline,
but also filled with great clips of great reggae artists (including Gregory Isaacs) c.1977.

Roots, Rock, Reggae. Perhaps the best documentary of Reggae made.

Roots, Rock, Reggae Documentary

Bob Marley, Jacob Miller, Abyssinians, Gladiators, Lee Perry, Ras Michael, others

"The classic film from the '70's. See Lee Perry in-action, mixing live at the Black Ark!
See Jack Ruby auditioning roots singers! An amazing documentary of this historic phase of reggae music in Jamaica.
THERE ARE NO BETTER ROOTS REGGAE DVD's THAN THIS!!!"

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 8, 2015 00:59

@#$%& the analysis. groove.

groove

groove

groove

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:15

well, well, I Like it and i need a marguerita or a caiperinha, and some warm weather.

Lovely song, great. Love it more than substantial damage. Great, thanks Keef.

One Love

Jeroen

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:22

Man, There's some serious bubbling going on in the original Greory Isaacs version.

I really hope there will be an extended version at some point and Keith has a go on it.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 8, 2015 01:31

Roll73
Keith is on BBC Radio 6 (The Huey Show) - this Saturday from 10am
drinking smiley

Thanks for the info.
jeroen

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:55

Gregory Isaacs, the Cool Ruler, notorious for being chronically late for concerts. Saw him back in the day, 1980 or so, at the Rainbow Theatre in London and again almost 30 years later at the Jazz Cafe, where he still managed to put on a good show, though he was probably already ailing by that time.

The Harder They Come bucked the trend for films made from books, as it was the other way round - a book of the same name was written on the basis of the film and I thought at the time that it was a great read and even better than the film.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 8, 2015 02:03

open-g
Man, There's some serious bubbling going on in the original Greory Isaacs version.

I really hope there will be an extended version at some point and Keith has a go on it.

[www.youtube.com]

Best Buy will include a bonus version of Love Overdue featuring Lee f'in Scratch Perry. hot smileyhot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 02:03 by Maindefender.

Date: September 8, 2015 02:20

^
Ah, good to read. thanks.
Lee Scatch Perry will deliver the bubbling then.
looking forward to that.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 8, 2015 02:21

Another great song..

For some reason, this song struck me as one that would work best as a Stones song.. with Mick on vocals. Not quite sure why.. Keith sounds really good on it.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 03:13

Well, it's the best of the four so far for me but that's just because it's a cover of a good song written by someone else!

My main problem with it of course is that I (like the majority of people in the world outside of Stones message boards) simply do not find Keith Richards an effective lead vocalist. That fact alone, I realize, pretty much exempts me from offering an opinion about Keith's solo music.

I see this as a "but the Emperor has no clothes!" situation but I recognize that almost all of you see it another way. In any event, with four universally acclaimed "great" tracks Keith is well on his way to an album for the ages. In my opinion LET IT BLEED only has six unequivocally great tracks; Keith's already 2/3 of the way there with the four sneaks from CROSSEYED HEART!

I won't comment on the "is it reggae?" issue other than to say that no, it isn't. The Congos, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, The Wailers, and Toots and the Maytals (not meant to be an exhaustive list) play reggae. Keith does not. The Clash came kinda close but that's about it for pasty English rock stars and reggae.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 8, 2015 03:22

So what defines reggae?

Date: September 8, 2015 03:32

Awesome music with an irresistible off-beat played by black men and women from Jamaica who smoke a lot of ganja. Keith is to reggae as Kenny G is to jazz: you can call it that if you want ... but you'd be wrong!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 03:44

LongBeachArena72
Awesome music with an irresistible off-beat played by black men and women from Jamaica who smoke a lot of ganja. Keith is to reggae as Kenny G is to jazz: you can call it that if you want ... but you'd be wrong!

First time I've read a racial reference like that on this board. Hope it's the last.
Music is a universal language, it brings people together, it doesn't draw lines between them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 04:05 by Turner68.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2015 04:41

Turner68
LongBeachArena72

First time I've read a racial reference like that on this board. Hope it's the last.
Music is a universal language, it brings people together, it doesn't draw lines between them.

Yeah that was a totally lame statement.

So in line with your unthoughtful analogy LongBeachArena72, since it was black men (and woman) who originated and played the blues that Keith so loves,
what are we to call it when the Stones play a blues tune? Would we be wrong to call it blues?

Or how about Johnny Winter - would I be wrong if I said he was great blues musician?
Or John Mayall? Clapton? Peter Green? Etc., etc. etc.?

confused smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 8, 2015 04:57

LongBeachArena72
Well, it's the best of the four so far for me but that's just because it's a cover of a good song written by someone else!

My main problem with it of course is that I (like the majority of people in the world outside of Stones message boards) simply do not find Keith Richards an effective lead vocalist. That fact alone, I realize, pretty much exempts me from offering an opinion about Keith's solo music.

I see this as a "but the Emperor has no clothes!" situation but I recognize that almost all of you see it another way. In any event, with four universally acclaimed "great" tracks Keith is well on his way to an album for the ages. In my opinion LET IT BLEED only has six unequivocally great tracks; Keith's already 2/3 of the way there with the four sneaks from CROSSEYED HEART!

I won't comment on the "is it reggae?" issue other than to say that no, it isn't. The Congos, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, The Wailers, and Toots and the Maytals (not meant to be an exhaustive list) play reggae. Keith does not. The Clash came kinda close but that's about it for pasty English rock stars and reggae.

thumbs up I agree with you here my friend. But don't expect to be understood on that issue here. We probably measure reggae by slightly different standards that most people here. Keith's tune has strong elements of reggae but like most Keith and Stones attempts at reggae they end up being uniquely Stones or uniquely Keith in ways that are more of a blend of styles. Not that that is a bad thing, it is nice for artists to put their own stamp on things. I will say this is probably as close to reggae as we will ever get from Keith or the Stones (except their cover of Get Up Stand Up). In that respect it's not worth taking offense at people calling this tune reggae, it's easy to understand where they're coming from. Strict definitions of genres always seem to get people's blood up here for some reason. smoking smiley

Date: September 8, 2015 05:21

Hairball
Turner68
LongBeachArena72

So in line with your unthoughtful analogy LongBeachArena72, since it was black men (and woman) who originated and played the blues that Keith so loves,
what are we to call it when the Stones play a blues tune? Would we be wrong to call it blues?

Or how about Johnny Winter - would I be wrong if I said he was great blues musician?

confused smiley

C'mon, man, this is an internet message board frequented by blowhards, magpies, and jokers (of which I am proudly one) not a @#$%& ethnic studies symposium. OF COURSE we are all enlightened people and not one of us has a drop of racist blood in our bodies.

Yes, my statement was completely hyperbolic and stereotypical. There is of course no one way to define reggae (or the blues or jazz, etc.). There are just people, like me, who have aesthetic opinions about what's "good" and what "sucks."

To try to answer the only serious question above, by Hairball: I don't know what makes a great blues player or who gets to be called authentic, to be honest. All the people you mention above are incredible players, in my opinion. I think that they--and The Stones--have earned their stripes in that genre and can be called bluesmen. Are they better/worse than Robert Johnson? Who the @#$%& knows?

But, I do stand by my position when it comes to reggae. I have never heard it played convincingly by white people. (Of course I also think Chet Baker sucks compared to Louis Armstrong, so go figure.) And, by the way, just for the record, some of my best friends are white people!

Date: September 8, 2015 08:29

Turner68
LongBeachArena72

+1

Date: September 8, 2015 08:37

It is pure reggae, from Jordan's beat, via Keith's brilliant locked in bass/guitar rhythm to the vocals. Don't let amateurism fool you here, folks.

What else should it be? And who else here would know reggae better than Keith who has lived and breathed this kind of music since the early 70s?

Here Keith does a really heartfelt cover of a great reggae song, and what do his "fans" say, LOL!

I can't believe what I'm reading here. "I've been listening a lot to Bob Marley, hence I know reggae". Really? Really?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2015 08:53

I can't believe what I'm reading here. "I've been listening a lot to Bob Marley, hence I know reggae". Really? Really?

HHhaaaa Yeah Dandeeee what else can ya do but laugh ...

Reminds me of a guy I worked with once .. he said to us one day...
.... Yep I'm really into the blues I got a B.B.King album

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 09:19

LongBeachArena72

Keith's record is not comparable to Let it Bleed in terms of ambition or scope. Not every record or book or film has to be the greatest work ever to be worthwhile. It's a good record that I like to listen to, for a number of reasons. IMO, Let it Bleed is the best single record released in the rock era (see how I don't compare it to Blonde or Blonde).

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 8, 2015 09:22

DandelionPowderman
It is pure reggae, from Jordan's beat, via Keith's brilliant locked in bass/guitar rhythm to the vocals. Don't let amateurism fool you here, folks.

What else should it be? And who else here would know reggae better than Keith who has lived and breathed this kind of music since the early 70s?

Here Keith does a really heartfelt cover of a great reggae song, and what do his "fans" say, LOL!

You're right as ever Dandy. thumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 8, 2015 10:14

to me the real deal between keith and reggae lies in the wingless angels records

here he is some thousand miles away from their vibe

good song, nice tune, classy and cool background music to sip a mojito chatting with friends

wait to hear the version with scratch lee perry on to revise my opinion, eventually

ps: when i put on wingless angels, i still have my mojito in hand but i feel more like praying than chat smiling smiley that's the difference i feel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 10:16 by maumau.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 8, 2015 10:18

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
Turner68
LongBeachArena72

confused smiley

C'mon, man, this is an internet message board frequented by blowhards, magpies, and jokers (of which I am proudly one) not a @#$%& ethnic studies symposium. OF COURSE we are all enlightened people and not one of us has a drop of racist blood in our bodies.

Yes, my statement was completely hyperbolic and stereotypical. There is of course no one way to define reggae (or the blues or jazz, etc.). There are just people, like me, who have aesthetic opinions about what's "good" and what "sucks."

To try to answer the only serious question above, by Hairball: I don't know what makes a great blues player or who gets to be called authentic, to be honest. All the people you mention above are incredible players, in my opinion. I think that they--and The Stones--have earned their stripes in that genre and can be called bluesmen. Are they better/worse than Robert Johnson? Who the @#$%& knows?

But, I do stand by my position when it comes to reggae. I have never heard it played convincingly by white people. (Of course I also think Chet Baker sucks compared to Louis Armstrong, so go figure.) And, by the way, just for the record, some of my best friends are white people!

Not to worry long beach, i think we all know what you meant. Its the silly season. Its like white guys cant jump lol Not to be taken literally..

Date: September 8, 2015 10:25

DandelionPowderman

Yah man, Dandy!!Im gonna buy you a beer or two.
Just woke up, listning to Keef, and he made me a HAPPY man, once again.!!

Like he has done all those years. keitth makes me happu with his music !!
One Love

ps Love overdue is growing, even though its a great lovely tune.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 10:27 by corriecas.

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: September 8, 2015 10:41

My Second Opinion after 4 songs in a row.

I FAKING LOVE IT.

Date: September 8, 2015 11:11

Roll73
Keith is on BBC Radio 6 (The Huey Show) - this Saturday from 10am
drinking smiley

Could someone post it please, this saturday???
Thanks
jeroen

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 8, 2015 11:53

Hairball
Along with The Harder They Come, there's quite a few other movies to see:

Rockers. Similiar in style to The Harder They Come with a storyline,
but also filled with great clips of great reggae artists (including Gregory Isaacs) c.1977.

Roots, Rock, Reggae. Perhaps the best documentary of Reggae made.

I've astounded many students with all three of those. THTC is undeniable. Rockers is hilarious.
Roots Rock Reggae is the kind of documentary that's more interesting
for people who already know something about reggae - but if you do, go for it.

Date: September 8, 2015 12:55

LongBeachArena72
I won't comment on the "is it reggae?"

you should have left it right there.

instead you go on to inform ppl what qualifies as real reggae and what not.

issue other than to say that no, it isn't.

way to goeye rolling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 8, 2015 12:56

72hotrocks
My Second Opinion after 4 songs in a row.

I FAKING LOVE IT.

Exactly lol thanks to LongBeachArena72 I'm so enlightened that basically Keith can't sing and he's genuinely isn't Rock n' roll, Rythym and Blues, pop, country, reggae, doo wop, Motown, etc. His whole life has been a lie and as a result he's wasted mine. Poor me, I canceling my pre-orders, getting rid of all Keith related material. What a mistake to have followed this man's phony journey the last 40 years of my life. thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home