Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 29, 2015 18:11

keefriffhards
Bashlets
I respectfully disagree concerning TROUBLE. To me it gets better every play. Sure it sounds like other Keith songs but who cares. It's not LET'S WORK or STRRETS OF LOVE so I am happy. To my ears, his guitar on the long version hasnt sounded so raw and nasty in years including some good ole Chuck Berry licks thrown in. Thumbs up for me.

This is what makes me laugh about some people on here. They complain that the new Keith single sounds like a Keith single. REALLY, it don't sound like a Mick Jagger solo record !! Oh Keith will be so sorry to have disappointed you winking smiley
If you don't like Keith's sound what do you expect from his new album ?? and further more if you don't like Keith's sound are you that much of a Stones Fanatic in the first place. Give it some thought..

It's Keith-by-numbers. I like Keith and his attitude so that helps because I'm happy to hear him on a new record but objectively, as a song, it's pretty mediocre in my humble estimation. It's not like anyone's gone and called the album Crosseyed Dogsh!t or anything. I look forward to the blues and reggae tracks and I love the title Substantial Damage- that by itself is brilliant.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 29, 2015 18:28

andrewt
keefriffhards
Bashlets
I respectfully disagree concerning TROUBLE. To me it gets better every play. Sure it sounds like other Keith songs but who cares. It's not LET'S WORK or STRRETS OF LOVE so I am happy. To my ears, his guitar on the long version hasnt sounded so raw and nasty in years including some good ole Chuck Berry licks thrown in. Thumbs up for me.

This is what makes me laugh about some people on here. They complain that the new Keith single sounds like a Keith single. REALLY, it don't sound like a Mick Jagger solo record !! Oh Keith will be so sorry to have disappointed you winking smiley
If you don't like Keith's sound what do you expect from his new album ?? and further more if you don't like Keith's sound are you that much of a Stones Fanatic in the first place. Give it some thought..

It's Keith-by-numbers. I like Keith and his attitude so that helps because I'm happy to hear him on a new record but objectively, as a song, it's pretty mediocre in my humble estimation. It's not like anyone's gone and called the album Crosseyed Dogsh!t or anything. I look forward to the blues and reggae tracks and I love the title Substantial Damage- that by itself is brilliant.

Curious what you think of Sure The One and how it compares to Trouble. I still think it will flow nicely with the other 14 songs…..

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 29, 2015 18:54

Sure The One You Need? Like the one from the 70's? I like it allright. It's Berryesque, but it has a nice arrangement. Trouble just kind of muddles along. And to be clear, I don't think Trouble is bad. Just unremarkable. I'm sure it will chug along fine in the context of the album, but it's not lead single material IMO.

The Keith fan in me is absolutely thrilled there's a new album coming out, and it's like seeing an old friend, and I share the joy in that. But the music lover in me can't quite get on board. I listen to it..I nod my head a little...but there's nothing to distinguish it from loads of Keith's other "B" material.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:51

Trouble is not the song to seduce somebody to buy the album. A single release should be a teaser and get the people in the mood to buy the album. In that sense, Trouble isn´t working.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:59

[quot[u]e=HMS]
Trouble is not the song to seduce somebody to buy the album. A single release should be a teaser and get the people in the mood to buy the album. In that sense, Trouble isn´t working.[/u][/quote]

Thats your opinion.
I love it and cant wait for the album, thats my opinion.
Do you see how it works now, just because you don't like it, don't mean others don't like it. Sorted..
Mind you mate i agree with just about everything else you say on iorr .
Cheers HMS smileys with beer

Date: July 29, 2015 22:23

I personally do not care much what song Keith uses as first single, I´ll buy the album anyway, so it doesn´t matter... But for other people than us fans, a more catchy tune would have been better to make them buy the album.

Date: July 29, 2015 22:51

HMS
I personally do not care much what song Keith uses as first single, I´ll buy the album anyway, so it doesn´t matter... But for other people than us fans, a more catchy tune would have been better to make them buy the album.

Yeah i see what you mean.
Keith has been saying for years that he is done with the Rock, he is only interested in the Roll. That makes me think that this album might not have any real rockers in it. And maybe this Trouble single is as Rockin as it gets, so he releases that. just a thought.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:49

Maybe i missed it, but keef has not yet said he will be do some solo touring, id he, in the Mojo magazine.

i really hope he will.

jeroen

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:54

corriecas
Maybe i missed it, but keef has not yet said he will be do some solo touring, id he, in the Mojo magazine.

i really hope he will.

jeroen

Nope nothing mentioned yet but I think some live dates are likely. I expect early next month we may find out. I know there are a lot of markets and nice venues in the USA but I really hope he gives London a look in as well.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:59

[quot[u]e=HMS]
Trouble is not the song to seduce somebody to buy the album. A single release should be a teaser and get the people in the mood to buy the album. In that sense, Trouble isn´t working.[/u][/quote]

Does anyone expect Keith to be played on top 40 anyway? If this happened back 30 years ago folks would eat it up. Times have changed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2015 04:54

keefriffhards
Bashlets

now you're bashing bashlets? that's sort of ironic.

the funny part is he's actually agreeing with you....although I'm sure he's taking your advice and 'giving it some thought'.

Date: July 30, 2015 04:55

HMS
Trouble is not the song to seduce somebody to buy the album. A single release should be a teaser and get the people in the mood to buy the album. In that sense, Trouble isn´t working.

in other words, trouble is causing trouble.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 30, 2015 05:53

treaclefingers
HMS

Dude...email me
I got sumpin' to tell ya'

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:49

'Trouble' is about what I would expect from a legendary artist that is over 70 yrs old…..name any legendary artist his age or older (Clapton, Willie Nelson, Paul M., The Who, Jimmy Page, Pink Floyd, etc) and how many new singles have they put out that you think is better?? I have not heard any.
Talk is Cheap was great…I'm in the audience at the Palladium….the one who whistles loud before Locked Away and Whip it up that ended up on the live release later….I really enjoyed Main Offender but less so than Talk is Cheap and now here we are 20+ yrs later bitching about how his new single isn't any good. Hard to let go but you can never recapture that summertime rapture….

Date: July 30, 2015 09:47

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
HMS

Dude...email me

There were two people on this post besides yourself but I took a leap of faith - and I have often been referred to in a deriding manner as "DUDE" so I've responded to your request but I apologize if you were in fact referring to the HMS Dude. BTW, HMS sounds like the prefix of a ship or somethang.

Date: July 30, 2015 09:47

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Bashlets

now you're bashing bashlets? that's sort of ironic.

the funny part is he's actually agreeing with you....although I'm sure he's taking your advice and 'giving it some thought'.

Obviously i put my post under the wrong box. Sorry about that. Read all my posts .
Sorry Bashlets.

Treacle do you have a problem with me ??

I appreciate your witty and humorous but when its directed constantly at one person, it could be seen as taking the piss.

Date: July 30, 2015 12:00

Some people here constantly refer to Keith´s vocals "having improved", his guitar playing "very good for his age" und Trouble being very good for an 70+ artist. But what do we actually hear on Trouble?

What I really want to know is when was Trouble actually recorded. You cant praise 70+Keith for a song he probably recorded 10 years ago. For me personally, Trouble sounds like taken directly from the TIC-sessions ages ago.

I want to know am I listening to a 70+-artist or to a much younger Keith. You have to know that to talk seriously about this song (and the album as well). I want details about what was recorded when.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 30, 2015 13:58

corriecas

i really hope he will.

jeroen

Who knows, when did that interview happen? Thing could gave changed in between.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 30, 2015 15:42

Rollin92
corriecas

i really hope he will.

jeroen

Nope nothing mentioned yet but I think some live dates are likely. I expect early next month we may find out. I know there are a lot of markets and nice venues in the USA but I really hope he gives London a look in as well.

+1 thumbs up Would be great if Keith did some dates in London (or elsewhere in the UK). smiling smiley

Btw, just thought I'd give some feedback on trouble from a casual fan (friend of mine). Obviously he doesn't represent all fans - casual or hardcore (or inbetween) but he really liked trouble.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:12

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
HMS

Dude...email me

There were two people on this post besides yourself but I took a leap of faith - and I have often been referred to in a deriding manner as "DUDE" so I've responded to your request but I apologize if you were in fact referring to the HMS Dude. BTW, HMS sounds like the prefix of a ship or somethang.

Message in a bottle delivered, dude

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:40

HMS
What I really want to know is when was Trouble actually recorded. You cant praise 70+Keith for a song he probably recorded 10 years ago. For me personally, Trouble sounds like taken directly from the TIC-sessions ages ago.

It's new. He worked on this between 2011 and 2015 from what's been said. Details ain't out yet but it's Keith, Steve and Waddy with Bernard singing harmonies as well. That's the band nucleus of CROSSEYED HEART.

Date: July 30, 2015 18:48

GasLightStreet
HMS

It's new. He worked on this between 2011 and 2015 from what's been said. Details ain't out yet but it's Keith, Steve and Waddy with Bernard singing harmonies as well. That's the band nucleus of CROSSEYED HEART.

Yes that's right GaslightStreet most the work was 2011 and 2012.
I think the vocals on the album and finished recordings were early 2012.
I'm just going on various interviews over the years and my intuition when Keith has mentioned making the album.
I am very impressed with Steve Jordan he seems to know how to get the best out of Keith. Judging from the MOJO interview Keith really does listen to him.
I personally think Keith had retired after 2007 and was fine with that, but a set of unlikely circumstances has brought Keith back into the fold. And i think now he is ready to Rock. I would be very surprised if Keith does not take this to the road smiling smiley
As a say i work out the future from the past..

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 30, 2015 19:10

From the current issue of the New Yorker:

Chum
By Nick Paumgarten

Listening party: Is this a thing now? A recording artist has a new album, and the record company invites journalists to come listen to it, prior to its release, with the artist in attendance. The presence of the artist is the lure.

Actually, this kind of thing has been a thing for as long as anyone in the music industry can remember, but now that no one sits down and listens to albums anymore—and now that the easiest way to get someone to listen to something new is to send a link—this thing may be more of a thing than it used to be.

Last Tuesday night, Republic Records threw a listening party, at Electric Lady Studios, on Eighth Street, to allow select guests (which is to say merely that they’d been selected) to hear “Crosseyed Heart,” Keith Richards’s first solo album since 1992—and to meet Richards. The prospect of hanging out with Keef was, even for hardened hacks, a little like a summons to share a corral with a unicorn.

Listeners (a few dozen) were greeted in the front lounge by a tall man who was guarding an array of fancy Macintosh stereo components worth (he said) a total of two hundred and five thousand dollars. But this wasn’t the listening place. After turning over your cell phone, you went down a hallway to the studio itself, where couches and rows of chairs faced a pair of big speakers and a kind of diorama of uncertain authenticity: a padded chair, a microphone, and a table with an ashtray and a pack of Marlboros on it. Real recording equipment had been pushed out of the way: a Yamaha grand, a Hammond B-3, and a rack of coiled audio jacks. Waiters came around with wine and canapés. An attentive listener could hear, above the sound of old blues, listening-party talk:

“I invited all these people, and now I’m, like, who’s here?”

“I’m so sorry to be asking this, but my editor wants a few grafs.”

“I love the Who.”

“You weren’t in L.A. for that small stuff.”

“Tuna tartare with coconut rice?”

After half an hour, Richards came in through the control-room door. The calculus of people not noticing him, pretending not to notice him, or really noticing him was hard to decipher; the efforts of middle-aged men to appear cool in the presence of such a figure give off a particular pheromone. Richards, in a snakeskin jacket and a Rasta headband, was laughing and loose-jointed, drinking out of a Solo cup. The listeners converged on him and took turns greeting him. To go by his ebullience (no amp-ravaged listener more than a pace away could hope to discern actual words), Richards seemed to know some of the guests and to be treating those whom he did not know as though he might have met them before.

The Rolling Stones, through the years, have been master P.R. stuntmen. Flatbed truck, train, yacht, blimp. Had Richards, with or without the Stones, ever done the listening-party thing? “I don’t think so—maybe once or twice,” he said. What about in the sixties? He gave a good-natured shrug.

Then it was listening time. He made a few remarks. “Have a listen, see what you think, and if you like it go and buy it.” The album commenced with a solo blues number. Richards called out, “Louder!” and gestured toward the control booth, pointing up with his middle finger. After a few verses of blues, Richards—on the album—said abruptly, “That’s all I got,” and then a rock-and-roll song kicked in. He and Steve Jordan, the drummer, who is his co-writer and co-producer on “Crosseyed Heart,” stood in a back corner, under the exit sign, cracking inaudible jokes. No one sat in the chair with the ashtray and the cigarettes.

As the album went along, you noticed that this was as much a not-listening party as a listening party, because, even when the music was playing, people kept talking. For many people, even professional listeners, listening isn’t partying. It’s work. And this was a party.

One rule of the listening party is that listeners can’t publish a review of what’s being listened to until its release date nears. But this much can be said. The album was good to listen to: the songs had sturdy titles—“Something for Nothing,” “Suspicious,” “Amnesia.” The third song from the last was Richards’s growly take on the old standard “Goodnight Irene.” If you were listening, you could hear the real Richards call out “Goodnight Irene!” and then watch him wave and slip out through the door.

[www.newyorker.com]

Drew

Date: July 30, 2015 19:11

Can i make a suggestion to all the lovely Stones fans out there who don't think they like Trouble.
Try this.
You cant Google it.
Ok .Goes like this..
Get very drunk and play Trouble 3 times and tell me you don't like it smoking smiley
I guarantee you will love it.

Date: July 30, 2015 19:16

Didn't listening parties used to be thrown in the 1970s and 80s?

Date: July 30, 2015 19:51

Hey, where's the B-side for Trouble!!??

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 30, 2015 20:23

my snobby anti-rolling stones friends (blues and jazz snobs) like Trouble so that is saying a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 20:24 by tumbled.

Date: July 30, 2015 20:29

Why has no one picked up on the idea that Trouble is Keith singing and talking about himself in the third person.. The song is about him, keith.. Keith is trouble to himself in his own eyes. Yes i love it

Now im very drunk lol

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 30, 2015 20:40

GasLightStreet
Hey, where's the B-side for Trouble!!??

Are there B sides in the digital age?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 20:41

keefriffhards
Why has no one picked up on the idea that Trouble is Keith singing and talking about himself in the third person.. The song is about him, keith.. Keith is trouble to himself in his own eyes. Yes i love it

Now im very drunk lol

lol i mentioned that a while ago my friend... it seems obvious to me. he'd never write such a song about a woman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home