Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 257
Re: Keith Recording in NYC
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 10, 2013 23:53

Please do keep ON TOPIC. Thanks.

Bjornulf

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2013 18:19

Perhaps Keith was inspired by working with Aaron Neville and will have something of a similar feel with a song or two.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 12, 2013 11:43

...any news?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 14, 2013 07:39

Keith and Lee "Scratch" Perry at bottom of page:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-14 07:40 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2013 08:01

.... so it is the Willi Williams track ...thanks Title5Take1

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2013 09:01

Rockman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-14 09:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 14, 2013 10:14

can´t wait can´t wait

Date: October 14, 2013 21:18

Hairball
Rockman

I can imagine, this will work very well with Keith. Looking forward to it.

Re: Keith recording in NYC
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 23, 2013 01:48

Steve Marshall has posted an update on the State Of Emergency blog. The track recorded last month was Gregory Isaacs' 'Love Is Overdue', not 'Prisoner Of Loneliness'.
The previous blog entry has also been amended.

October 22nd, 2013

Rumble in the jungle

Rumour has it that the first single from Keith Richards’ new solo album will be “Love Is Overdue”, mixed in September by the legendary father of reggae and dub, Mr Lee “Scratch” Perry. It was State of Emergency that helped to bring these two guys together, and at the session in New York, SoE’s Steve Marshall was “Bal’ead At The Controls” alongside Scratch for the ubiquitous dub mix. Crashing echo. Hurricane. Tornado. State of Emergency indefinitely.

[soeblog.com]

Re: Keith recording for "new solo album" in NYC
Date: October 23, 2013 04:32

WHAT!!! ... so now it's back to being a cover of
Gregory Isaac's - Love Is Overdue which was his first major hit in Jamaica ..

Awww well after all Keith is a big fan of Gregory Isaacs ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 23, 2013 05:04

In his 1986 BBC radio 1 interview, Keith chose 10 favorite records to play during the interview and among them was Gregory Isaacs' If I Don't Have You.

Date: October 23, 2013 05:19

If I Don't Have You --- Found on 1981 album More Gregory
Stones worked on a cover of it Pathé-Marconi Studios 1985

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 23, 2013 05:58

Then Keith is going for a rootsy feel, with something that has always inspired him.

It means that it will be an album that will be worth hearing and will still be sounding good in 20 years.

It also means there will be a zillion threads about how it is one of the greatest Stones albums that never was but should have been.

Well, anyway, I suppose I'm looking forward to it, if indeed there is a full solo album on the way. And why not? A musician's got to keep working, especially if your occasional lead singer is unwilling to keep you busy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 10:30

It could be a nice album. Since Keith is doing just for the fun of doing it - that is: driven by a muse, not for the sake of 'I need to do an album, and there is a deadline there' - and probably haven't any contract obligations so far, there is a great chance that we might hear something surprisingly good in it. Keith is a lazy bastard, and artistic soul- if there is no inspiration, he prefers to not do anything (and he has the luxury to 'do' that), but if the spark is there... Go ahead, Keith, take all the time you need, and just listen to your own instincts (well, I guess he does anyhow...grinning smiley), I can wait.

I have always had the guts that there is a great album in Keith in there somewhere, and most probably that is not going to be a Rolling Stones album. I hope it is this one!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 23, 2013 10:39

Doxa
It could be a nice album. Since Keith is doing just for the fun of doing it - that is: driven by a muse, not for the sake of 'I need to do an album, and there is a deadline there' - and probably haven't any contract obligations so far, there is a great chance that we might hear something surprisingly good in it. Keith is a lazy bastard, and artistic soul- if there is no inspiration, he prefers to not do anything (and he has the luxury to 'do' that), but if the spark is there... Go ahead, Keith, take all the time you need, and just listen to your own instincts (well, I guess he does anyhow...grinning smiley), I can wait.

I have always had the guts that there is a great album in Keith in there somewhere, and most probably that is not going to be a Rolling Stones album. I hope it is this one!thumbs up

- Doxa

I agree, like reading my thoughts..thumbs up

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 23, 2013 10:59

Doxa

- Doxa

Might be that he long at last succeeds in making a great solo album - but to do so I think he should consider working with one or maybe more singers. Two or three tracks in a row with just Keith's voice has hitherto shown to be too tough a task, at least for me. But one never knows, maybe he shows to be a Miracle Worker.

Date: October 23, 2013 11:05

Probably Keith thought it would be a good idea with some reggae-tunes, hence bringing in Lee "Scratch" Perry.

I wonder how many reggae-songs there will be on the album, though. Most likely, the rest will be originals...

Date: October 23, 2013 11:27

...keith's worked with "Scratch" and Steve Marshall before ...
Nuffin' wrong with Book of Moses even if ya gotta watch-out for da polar bear ..

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 11:47 by Rockman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 11:41

GetYerAngie
Doxa

- Doxa

Might be that he long at last succeeds in making a great solo album - but to do so I think he should consider working with one or maybe more singers. Two or three tracks in a row with just Keith's voice has hitherto shown to be too tough a task, at least for me. But one never knows, maybe he shows to be a Miracle Worker.

I get what you are saying... but it reminds me of the times when TALK IS CHEAP was about to release. Keith's singing tracks were always like rare 'extras' prior that, so the whole idea of having Keith in vocals throughout the album sounded very exciting to my ears. Okay, now there is not any novelty in that and both TALK S CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER have teachen us what that could be, and I admit it might get a bit monotonic in the long run...

- Doxa

Date: October 23, 2013 11:59

Keith sounds like he just got up in the morning on some of the TIC-songs, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

On MO, he put a little more effort into his singing, but the result wasn't really that much better.

I think Keith's voice always has improved in tandem with a good melody, though - just listen to Make No Mistake or You Don't Move Me.

Re: Keith recording in NYC
Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: October 23, 2013 12:47

bye bye johnny
Steve Marshall has posted an update on the State Of Emergency blog. The track recorded last month was Gregory Isaacs' 'Love Is Overdue', not 'Prisoner Of Loneliness'.
The previous blog entry has also been amended.

October 22nd, 2013

Rumble in the jungle

Rumour has it that the first single from Keith Richards’ new solo album will be “Love Is Overdue”, mixed in September by the legendary father of reggae and dub, Mr Lee “Scratch” Perry. It was State of Emergency that helped to bring these two guys together, and at the session in New York, SoE’s Steve Marshall was “Bal’ead At The Controls” alongside Scratch for the ubiquitous dub mix. Crashing echo. Hurricane. Tornado. State of Emergency indefinitely.

[soeblog.com]

The mixup is understandable. the lyris make them easy to mix up.
Solo Keith is very exciting.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 23, 2013 12:51

Doxa
GetYerAngie
Doxa

- Doxa

I get what you are saying... but it reminds me of the times when TALK IS CHEAP was about to release. Keith's singing tracks were always like rare 'extras' prior that, so the whole idea of having Keith in vocals throughout the album sounded very exciting to my ears. Okay, now there is not any novelty in that and both TALK S CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER have teachen us what that could be, and I admit it might get a bit monotonic in the long run...

- Doxa

I was as exited when TIC came. The Run Rudolph-single years before was not new territory, but somewhat promising. At first listen to TIC I tried to convince my self that it would grow on me - but it didn't. And after a few listenings I had to admit to myself, that it was rather boring. And that I no longer was so sure that Keith - though prepunker and skullringbearing - was the sole authentic soul of Stones.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 23, 2013 14:04

Honestly there's little reason to think that we're going to get anything better from Keith at this point than TIS or MO...and the fact that a cover is the first single ? Dunno...it seems like Keith's "ideas" would be better used in the the Stones context, Mick did manage to somewhat salvage OMS. What's odd is that Mick did say he wanted to record a new album with the Stones, so why "lose" Keith's ideas to a solo LP?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 23, 2013 14:17

gotdablouse
Honestly there's little reason to think that we're going to get anything better from Keith at this point than TIS or MO...and the fact that a cover is the first single ? Dunno...it seems like Keith's "ideas" would be better used in the the Stones context, Mick did manage to somewhat salvage OMS. What's odd is that Mick did say he wanted to record a new album with the Stones, so why "lose" Keith's ideas to a solo LP?

Let's see if this is an album consisting of "Keith's ideas" first winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2013 16:22

I'm not concerned with how good or bad this new Keith record is compared to TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER. Those were released centuries ago.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 16:25

Yeah... And it's not like we compare any new Stones album with EXILE and/or SOME GIRLS either, now do we... winking smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 23, 2013 16:27

Looking foward to groovin' out, to his new record. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 23, 2013 16:28

I don't think it's even an issue of better or worse than those albums.

It's more about how different it might be .

Those albums were Keith doing his own thing but still constrained to large degree by what people expected from him.

My hope is that any solo work we get from him now will be stuff that is really him and what he wants to play.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 23, 2013 16:29

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

Let's see if this is an album consisting of "Keith's ideas" first winking smiley

If it falls in line with TIS and MO then I'm looking forward to it. I listened to TIS with all the 25yr anniversary talk and still overall prefer MO. You Don't Move Me still rips though, always will!! BRING IT ON....

Date: October 23, 2013 16:32

Indeed it does! But this one could very well be an album of cover songs...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home