Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Nirvana - "Live & Loud"
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:20

Finally coming out commercially next week. Dvd of a private show that Nirvana did for a MTV New Year's Eve show in a warehouse in Seattle. I was lucky enough to be there. Was filmed on December 13 @ the beginning of the In Utero tour. The full set wasn't aired. Being in the music business at the time, I got to see a lot of cool Nirvana shows (amongst others, it was a good time to be in the biz in Seattle). Nirvana were seriously on for this gig. Cypress Hill & the Breeders opened with Pearl Jam being a no show. I've been waiting for this one! Still miss Kurt & it saddens me to think about what we missed with him. He was special. If Nirvana interests you, I'd highly recommend this.

Re: OT: Nirvana - "Live & Loud"
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:26

thats a hell of a show ~ i made a presentation in school about this back in the ole days grinning smiley ..nice to see a new release comes,...think my vhs tape from the 90s died grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:43

I remember seeing that show on MTV around 1995. Apart from turning me on to Nirvara, it made me a huge Fender Mustang fan as well.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 15:11

It's being released as part of the In Utero re-issue, and like they did with Nevermind/Live At The Paramount, they're doing a stand-alone release for the concert for those that don't want the $125 box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 15:12 by NoCode0680.

Date: September 22, 2013 15:14

NoCode0680
It's being released as part of the In Utero re-issue both, and like they did with Nevermind/Live At The Paramount, they're doing a stand-alone release for the concert for those that don't want the $125 box.
I saw that Paramount show too! Pretty cool to get those. The best one I saw wasn't filmed. They played unannounce at a benefit for the Mia Zapata fund that Tad was headlining. Word got out. I was literally the last person to get in. Think it was the last show as a 3 piece. They played "No Quarter" & "Seasons in the Sun"!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 22, 2013 16:42

i bought it last night! (from one of those stores that sells items earlier than release date, of course). if i can find time, i'll be watching sometime today. I saw it back in the day when it aired, but the main reason I bought it was for the extras, rehearsals, etc.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 22, 2013 20:55

Is this the one that opened with "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" and had the Chili Peppers paddling in a boat introducing each section after the ad breaks?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:06

vudicus, I wanted to ask that same question. If memory serves me well, weren't Flea and Keidis dressed in drag at some point? I think this is the same show I have on VHS. I believe they opened with Radio Friendly Unit Shifter for every show on that tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2013 06:13

Saw them on that tour. Killer live show.

Date: September 23, 2013 07:10

crholmstrom
NoCode0680
It's being released as part of the In Utero re-issue both, and like they did with Nevermind/Live At The Paramount, they're doing a stand-alone release for the concert for those that don't want the $125 box.
I saw that Paramount show too! Pretty cool to get those. The best one I saw wasn't filmed. They played unannounce at a benefit for the Mia Zapata fund that Tad was headlining. Word got out. I was literally the last person to get in. Think it was the last show as a 3 piece. They played "No Quarter" & "Seasons in the Sun"!

That's a pretty good show, but I still prefer Live At Reading or MTV Unplugged. The only thing I don't like about Reading is that dipshit on stage with them dancing around like he's off his meds.

I wish they'd reissue an expanded "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah". I loved that CD. My band when I was in high school only played Nirvana songs and one of them was that fast version of "Sliver", which is my favorite Nirvana song. It took me a while to get used to the studio version though. I owned "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" before I owned "Incesticide" so I just knew that fast version. That live version of "Aneurysm" is really good too, that was the one off the album that had a lot of airplay.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 23, 2013 08:21

Looking forward to this as I haven't seen it in probably 18 years. Aside from the music and how on the band was that night, the main thing I took from this show was how great Cobain looked that night, both physically and sartorially. Healthy and cool as sh*t. Basically, he looked like the icon he became a few months later when he blew his head off.

Kurt was one of the good ones - almost 20 years on, it still seems kind of incomprehensible that it all ended the way it did.

Date: September 23, 2013 12:12

GumbootCloggeroo
vudicus, I wanted to ask that same question. If memory serves me well, weren't Flea and Keidis dressed in drag at some point? I think this is the same show I have on VHS. I believe they opened with Radio Friendly Unit Shifter for every show on that tour.

They were indeed dressed in drag and I think the dialog was rather random and funny. I think Chad and John were in a different boat and were also behaving oddly.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 23, 2013 12:47

nirvana was great - one of the last truly great rock bands, well - maybe, something will come along, but man...they were great. I remember this gig - I watched it at home when it came on MTV. - Back then MTV was all about music, now it's just crap about rich people's homes..

Date: September 23, 2013 13:18

Looks like there are some cool extras on the dvd

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 23, 2013 15:02

crholmstrom
Finally coming out commercially next week. Dvd of a private show that Nirvana did for a MTV New Year's Eve show in a warehouse in Seattle. I was lucky enough to be there. Was filmed on December 13 @ the beginning of the In Utero tour. The full set wasn't aired. Being in the music business at the time, I got to see a lot of cool Nirvana shows (amongst others, it was a good time to be in the biz in Seattle). Nirvana were seriously on for this gig. Cypress Hill & the Breeders opened with Pearl Jam being a no show. I've been waiting for this one! Still miss Kurt & it saddens me to think about what we missed with him. He was special. If Nirvana interests you, I'd highly recommend this.

My old VHS tape of this show can finally be laid to rest. IIRC, the MTV broadcast was just under an hour long so it will be great to finally get to see the entire show.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 23, 2013 15:09

JuanTCB

Kurt was one of the good ones - almost 20 years on, it still seems kind of incomprehensible that it all ended the way it did.

Erk, time is flying by.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:57

vudicus
GumbootCloggeroo

They were indeed dressed in drag and I think the dialog was rather random and funny. I think Chad and John were in a different boat and were also behaving oddly.

You sure it was John? He left the band in early '92 and this show is from late '93. Dave Navarro was the actual guitar player in December of '93 though I don't know if he was in these segments. If it's not Dave it's probably one of the two guys they hired and fired between John and Dave, but I doubt it's John unless that stuff was pre-recorded over a year earlier. I've seen the Nirvana performance but not the RHCP stuff so I don't know for sure.

Date: September 23, 2013 20:54

NoCode0680
vudicus
GumbootCloggeroo

You sure it was John? He left the band in early '92 and this show is from late '93. Dave Navarro was the actual guitar player in December of '93 though I don't know if he was in these segments. If it's not Dave it's probably one of the two guys they hired and fired between John and Dave, but I doubt it's John unless that stuff was pre-recorded over a year earlier. I've seen the Nirvana performance but not the RHCP stuff so I don't know for sure.

You are probably right, it could well have been Dave Navarro. My memory is quite hazy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2013 21:25

Navarro played his 1st RHCP show at Woodstock II (Aug. 94). They had giant lightbulbs on their head >grinning smiley<

Date: September 23, 2013 21:29

dcba
Navarro played his 1st RHCP show at Woodstock II (Aug. 94). They had giant lightbulbs on their head >grinning smiley<

Now that I do remember!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 24, 2013 00:33

NoCode0680
It's being released as part of the In Utero re-issue, and like they did with Nevermind/Live At The Paramount, they're doing a stand-alone release for the concert for those that don't want the $125 box.

Apparently the Live & Loud CD is only available with the super deluxe box set ?

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: September 24, 2013 01:10

oh I hope not. I want the DVD but not the whole box set

Date: September 24, 2013 01:32

lettingitbleed

The DVD is available as stand-alone but I couldn't find the CD version.

Date: September 24, 2013 12:43

kowalski
lettingitbleed

At least in the US, the cd is only in the deluxe box. Big $. I'm getting the 2 cd "In Utero" & the dvd of "Live & Loud" today.

Date: September 24, 2013 16:01

crholmstrom
kowalski
lettingitbleed

At least in the US, the cd is only in the deluxe box. Big $. I'm getting the 2 cd "In Utero" & the dvd of "Live & Loud" today.

I'll get the 2 CD set too. The 2013 new mix is not that bad and the demo's are worth the price alone IMO. The live CD will find a way to my collection eventually...

Date: September 24, 2013 16:29

kowalski
crholmstrom
kowalski
lettingitbleed

I'll get the 2 CD set too. The 2013 new mix is not that bad and the demo's are worth the price alone IMO. The live CD will find a way to my collection eventually...

Same here, that's what I did with Nevermind also. I bought the 2 CD Deluxe Edition, and the standalone Paramount DVD, and then I downloaded a torrent of the box set for the Paramount audio. I'll buy the box one day after the price drops probably. I waited for the "With The Lights Out" box set to hit the $20-$30 range before I pulled the trigger.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 24, 2013 16:34

deluxe
spotify:album:[open.spotify.com]

interesting interview of band members in rock & folk this month.
Cobain was a prick with money and behaviour with others.Just a great composer.
He kept 90% of royalties.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 16:36 by toomuchforme.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 24, 2013 17:41

toomuchforme
deluxe

He wrote more than 90 % of the music - so he deserves 90 % of the royalties, and if that makes him a prick - then what does that make of Jagger and Richards for taking more 90% of the royalties and not even giving the credit where it's due ..for songwriting to people like Wood or Taylor when they write something..?

Date: September 24, 2013 17:51

NoCode0680
kowalski
crholmstrom
kowalski
lettingitbleed

Same here, that's what I did with Nevermind also. I bought the 2 CD Deluxe Edition, and the standalone Paramount DVD, and then I downloaded a torrent of the box set for the Paramount audio. I'll buy the box one day after the price drops probably. I waited for the "With The Lights Out" box set to hit the $20-$30 range before I pulled the trigger.

Now that I've listened the whole Super Deluxe set on Qobuz (streaming), I can say that Nevermind remaster and the In Utero remaster are like night and day. While Nevermind reissue sound was way too loud and inferior to the original release in my opinion, the In Utero reissue has managed to preserve the quality of the original recording. I find it even sounding possibly better than the original. Really a must have (if you're a fan..).

edit: With the incredibly excellent Clash remasters released earlier this month, it looks like audio engineers have finally understood how to properly remaster classic albums...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 17:54 by kowalski.

Date: September 24, 2013 18:42

seitan
toomuchforme
deluxe

He wrote more than 90 % of the music - so he deserves 90 % of the royalties, and if that makes him a prick - then what does that make of Jagger and Richards for taking more 90% of the royalties and not even giving the credit where it's due ..for songwriting to people like Wood or Taylor when they write something..?

I'd say more than that. Of the original material (which most of it is except for some live stuff and B-sides), is there a single song that was written without Kurt? He wrote most of it himself, and there are a couple where the other guys are credited, but did anybody else write a song? I can't think of any. And when it comes to crediting Krist and Dave, I think Kurt was pretty generous. For instance all three are credited on "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but Kurt had most of it written, they just had the idea of slowing it down, and maybe a few tweaks, but they didn't really help come up with the song. Krist thought it was stupid at first and didn't even want to consider it, yet he's still credited as a songwriter. And in hindsight, if they were ever going to get credited on a song for the sake of royalties, THAT is the one to be credited on.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home