Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: viewing iorr.org on a mobile device
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 18, 2013 06:58

well alot of websites have a mobile-website, compatible for use on mobile phones or tablets, as well as the standard website.

but of course it's extra time and money...something BV doesn't have as he's too busy travelling around the world to see The Stones.

unless some fellow on this board with spare time can help ?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2013 08:04

I always laugh at how people need to see the whole World Wide Web through their little palm-sized phone screen, mainly because people still haven't gotten over the relative novelty of these devices that, earlier in our lifetimes, were only speculated on as some futuristic "1984" type technology--but when these "smart" phone addicts get home to their living rooms (or 'entertainment centers'), suddenly they need to view the world through a 60-inch plasma wall screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-18 10:34 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 18, 2013 09:12

There many websites (even forums) that ask if you want to switch to mobile when you access it through such devices. I always choose the web version, since I have this feeling from other experiences that not everything is available through the mobile option.

I think iorr is fine as it is. I only miss a voting poll feature. That would be fun around here smiling smiley

Date: September 18, 2013 10:24

stonehearted
I always laugh at how people need to see the whole World Wide Web through their little palm-sized phone screen, mainly because people still haven't gotten over the relative novelty of these devices that, earlier in our lifetimes, were only speculated on as some futuristic "1984" type technology--but when these "smart" phone addicts get home to their living rooms (or "entertainment centers"), suddenly they need to view the world through a 60-inch plasma wall screen.

well it's not novelty, it's technology and the convenience it now brings.
it depends on your setup at home.
If you have a dedicated computer (desktop or laptop) set up then most folks will simply use that.
If you have a smartphone or 9 inch tablet sitting with you then it's more convenient using those devices.
each to their own.
It's not like you can carry a laptop on the train/bus, or have one with you when you are waiting in a que or for a doctor's appointment.
I find i only use laptop/desktop at work, and at home lounge on the couch and use my smartphone to surf the web.
Most of the sites I read (news sites) are tailored for use on mobile devices and are easy to read and navigate.

Date: September 18, 2013 10:42

Eleanor Rigby
stonehearted
I always laugh at how people need to see the whole World Wide Web through their little palm-sized phone screen, mainly because people still haven't gotten over the relative novelty of these devices that, earlier in our lifetimes, were only speculated on as some futuristic "1984" type technology--but when these "smart" phone addicts get home to their living rooms (or 'entertainment centers'), suddenly they need to view the world through a 60-inch plasma wall screen.

It is novelty, because this is only the first generation that is incorporating these devices--and with the sufficient level of exhibitionism that goes along with novelty. When cell phones first became widespread, oh, did people revel in showing off--and sounding off.

I'm 47, and I can remember a world before the World Wide Web. Just 20 years ago, it was still dominated by pay phones and phone booths. So it's a relatively novel mode of communication--still so novel in fact, that such factors as common courtesy and legislation are only beginning to catch up with the little devils. Some public places are banning their use, for a change, and laws are being written into the books where it becomes illegal to text and drive, or for teens to even be on the phone while driving, and so on.

The novelty will subside when people finally learn to balance their technology fetish with the real world that remains in place around them.

Date: September 18, 2013 10:51

stonehearted
Eleanor Rigby
stonehearted

It is novelty, because this is only the first generation that is incorporating these devices--and with the sufficient level of exhibitionism that goes along with novelty. When cell phones first became widespread, oh, did people revel in showing off--and sounding off.

I'm 47, and I can remember a world before the World Wide Web. Just 20 years ago, it was still dominated by pay phones and phone booths. So it's a relatively novel mode of communication--still so novel in fact, that such factors as common courtesy and legislation are only beginning to catch up with the little devils. Some public places are banning their use, for a change, and laws are being written into the books where it becomes illegal to text and drive, or for teens to even be on the phone while driving, and so on.

The novelty will subside when people finally learn to balance their technology fetish with the real world that remains in place around them.

ahhh...but alot of big business are incorporating these "novelty" devices into their own workplaces !
I'm not talking about using the phone for talk, I'm talking about using them as mobile devices...eg GPS, mapping, data entry etc..

Date: September 18, 2013 11:02

Yes, particularly the GPS--so they can keep track of their workers, and have their every move mapped out. Talk about being slaves to technology....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 18, 2013 11:11

Max'sKansasCity
Surfing is the web for fun on a mobile phone is like having sex in a car, it can be done, but it is more fun with more space. I know phones can be great for checking stock quotes, doing airline check-ins, checking short emails and texts, but for other "just for fun" online it can be a hassle, and not much fun.

I would never is a zillion years tell, ask or even advise bv to make this site mobile friendly, he does it all for free now, and if he was to do a rework of IORR it is going to take a lot of time and energy and that wont be done for free, and it might mean the kaput of this fun place.

IORR works perfectly now for what it is supposed to do, thanks again bv.

Well ,I love cars but ..making love definitely defers more space -;
Oh ,btw Max ,you seem to be an expert on cells ....can't believe you finally got one ;-)

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: September 18, 2013 11:24

stonehearted
Yes, particularly the GPS--so they can keep track of their workers, and have their every move mapped out. Talk about being slaves to technology....

ha.
well that's one way to look at it.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 18, 2013 12:37

duke richardson
view it horizontally..

...you mean: "Go & lie down"?!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 18, 2013 14:10

...remember phones in the bags... bricks in the bag?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-19 01:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 18, 2013 14:11

Rolling Hansie
latebloomer
sideways is good duke, but not always better...grinning smiley

Oh my eye popping smiley

LOL, did I make you blush Hansie? So sorry...yes, turning the phone sideways does make for better viewing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-18 14:38 by latebloomer.

Date: September 18, 2013 14:24

Koen
Zooming and panning is sooooo 2012 smoking smiley

But seriously, it would be really nice if iorr.org would modernize a bit, lots of folks with small devices these days. And my eyesight is not getting any better cool smiley

Remember when Bjørnulf tried to modernise this board the last time? It was a riot grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 18, 2013 15:29

DandelionPowderman
Koen

But seriously, it would be really nice if iorr.org would modernize a bit, lots of folks with small devices these days. And my eyesight is not getting any better cool smiley

Remember when Bjørnulf tried to modernise this board the last time? It was a riot grinning smiley

Haha, no I don't remember that, but I can surely imagine it with all these old farts here who just learned how to use a mouse. smoking smiley

BTW, adding functionality will not change the way the forum looks now.

Date: September 18, 2013 15:39

Koen
DandelionPowderman
Koen

Haha, no I don't remember that, but I can surely imagine it with all these old farts here who just learned how to use a mouse. smoking smiley

BTW, adding functionality will not change the way the forum looks now.

I agree, but back then people went ballistic when the forum all of a sudden turned green grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2013 17:33

Help me, how can I view iorr.org on my mobile? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 18, 2013 17:52

Cristiano Radtke
Help me, how can I view iorr.org on my mobile? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Dial ILOVETAYLOR

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 18, 2013 21:07

Max'sKansasCity
Surfing is the web for fun on a mobile phone is like having sex in a car, it can be done, but it is more fun with more space.

Well Said!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 18, 2013 21:30

Cristiano Radtke

Ha ha, this was my first mobile phone back in 1998 grinning smiley

What about a new iorr website
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: September 22, 2013 13:45

I don't know if it's suggest before but what about a new iorr website. A new look and feel. A site whitch is easy to read on your smartphone and tablet.

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 13:46 by bart-man.

Re: What about a new iorr website
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: September 22, 2013 13:47

please NOT.
Its good as it is.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 22, 2013 13:55

I am sure bv will do what is right as far as that is concerned.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 22, 2013 13:56

Yes why not. It's a bit 90s at the moment.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 22, 2013 13:57

For me it's fine and appreciated as it is..............

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:04

Please keep it as it is.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:09

It's fine the way it is. Bjornulf does a fine job & I'm sure spends much time already out of the goodness of his heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 15:10 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:31

The purpose of IORR is information and communication. I do not care about modern design and fashion, but if I get time I will probably add better support for mobile units i.e. smaller screens. Background colors are not relevant, and if you do not find anything just go in google and write "iorr glastonbury" or "iorr witchita" and voila there it is.

During 2013 so far there has been 4 million visits on IORR from 1.5 million people. Out of these 0.8 million has been mobile including 0.3 million iPad. IORR works fine on iPad but 0.5 out of 4 million visits i.e. 12% if the total IORR visitors are on small screens. The rest use the recommended screen which is a proper desktop PC.

IORR is provided free of charge and it is 100% administrated and configured in my spare time. I work professionally with analyzing web sites including redesign analysis. A new design is often a step-back user-wise. Before I use my time on anything related to functions and layout on IORR, it will be due to a documented need, not because of demand. The web analytics from 4 million visits are talking to me, and they tell me what to do.

Bjornulf

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:40

Quote bv: A new design is often a step-back user-wise

Absolutely agree, my postoffice isp and email pages used to be really clear and easy to navigate and looked good too, easy on the eye. As of last week they are now a complicated mess of a layout with garish, glaring colours and don't even work properly,

I'm checking out alternative options................

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:42

Here's another stat BV, out of 4 million visits, one request (don't beleive it was a complaint) for doing things "better". There you go, seems that most of us like the site as is.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:50

It's perfect, don't need to change a thing. Thanks, bv .

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home