Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: The Last Great Stones Song?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 14, 2013 20:42

camper88
Just listening to Live in Texas '78, I was struck with the thought that there's nothing they've done post-Beast of Burden that comes close--a great studio track that's also been performed live in ways that transcend the studio version and that measures up to the greatest songs they've done in the past.

I think it might be the last great song that the Stones have done--that measures up to their best work.

Yesterday I was playing along to it, that version btw, and I thought: this was their last great song. SMU was a great hit though and great in the context of their great singles but it's not better or greater than BoB or Miss you for that matter.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 22:07

rollingon
When I read the comments here, I must say the Stones have made an astonishing number of songs that are very highly appreciated by some fans, although I wouldn't care myself about some song, there always seems to be people that like it very much, this tells something about the band, they have been very capable of doing great songs even in the recent decades, on the other hand there are very few songs that nobody likes about, maybe Fight...

Hey, I love Fight! smiling smiley I find great songs in all their albums and Laugh, I nearly died is an example from their most recent ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-14 22:09 by LQ1977.

Date: September 14, 2013 22:28

Their last "great" song was not released more than 35 years ago. Ha Ha Ha.

Doom and Gloom (Live) / Plundered My Soul / Laugh,I Nearly Died / Under the Radar / It Won't Take Long .... I could continue.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 14, 2013 23:19

Rough Justice, Back of My Hand, and Doom & Gloom are all "great" Stones songs from the past 10 years which is a credit to a band that turned 50. They belong in a top-25 of the band's all-time classics.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: September 14, 2013 23:47

Saint of Me.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 15, 2013 00:03

Rough Justice, Back of My Hand, Saint of Me, Out of Control, are all great tracks. I'd also throw in Doom & Gloom too, and, albeit solo, I have a liking for Old Habits Die Hard from the Alfie soundtrack.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 15, 2013 00:36

Rockman
Glastonbury Girl .....

thumbs up

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 15, 2013 00:47

Don't laugh but I think Anybody Seen My Baby is a great song.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 15, 2013 00:53

tomcasagranda
I have a liking for Old Habits Die Hard from the Alfie soundtrack.
not a stones song

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 15, 2013 00:56

beachbreak
Don't laugh but I think Anybody Seen My Baby is a great song.

I am sorry but I am laughing. But to amuse others on this board I will say that I actually think She Saw Me Coming is a great song. Great riff and hilarious lyrics - Mick making fun of his image.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 15, 2013 01:01

Streets of love

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 15, 2013 01:05

Laugh I nearly died

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 15, 2013 01:17

Any choice for the last great stones song seriously cannot come from anything later than Some Girls...at a push I'd give you Start Me Up but after that, nothing that could classed as a great Stones song. Obviously how you define 'great' dictates how we select and it is likely a decision influenced by the success of the song commercially must be a factor. Personally I'd say Beast of Burden followed by Start Me Up were the last two great songs in terms of just about everybody will know them...after that it just becomes our own personal great. Ah @#$%& it, I'm stoned...

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 15, 2013 01:30

she's so cold is a good (reasonably) late one

for me, the last good one live was love is strong. Back of my hand was very good.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 15, 2013 01:30

crumbling_mice
Any choice for the last great stones song seriously cannot come from anything later than Some Girls...at a push I'd give you Start Me Up but after that, nothing that could classed as a great Stones song. Obviously how you define 'great' dictates how we select and it is likely a decision influenced by the success of the song commercially must be a factor. Personally I'd say Beast of Burden followed by Start Me Up were the last two great songs in terms of just about everybody will know them...after that it just becomes our own personal great. Ah @#$%& it, I'm stoned...

That is fair comment. The impact of the song on a wider audience is a part of what makes it great. Pretty good comment for being stoned.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 15, 2013 01:51

I start feeling old when I read the thread and I have to look up a lot of the newer songs on my computer to remind me what they sound like. A lot of the mainstream but second tier "new songs" that some people like are not in my directly accessible memory. I listen to them and then they fly out the back door. In contrast, a lot of the older stuff can be played back in my head like a tape recorder. So I find a song someone mentioned and listen to it and say, "Oh yea, I have heard that song before." But I don't "know" the song and I will not retain it in my selective memory.

You can easily make a distinction between classic songs and just newer "great" songs in the catalog that are great relative to being a long time fan of the Rolling Stones.

So my "last great Stones song" yields two songs. I think Highwire is great because it resurrects the classic Stones vibe for a "Stones rock song." The other one I like is Jump on Top of Me. It just has the right vibe and is a toe tapper, everything is there. It has a touch of a of Let it Bleed feel.

Songs that some like that are like chalk on a blackboard for me are Mixed Emotions, Love is Strong, and Don't Stop. Mixed Emotions is characterless and has no redeeming melody or chords or lyrics, yuck. I never liked that song from the very beginning. Love is Strong was "strong" when you first listen to it, like wow! Heavy Stones! But, alas, after the tenth listen it's just hollow and the "deep vibe" stops resonating and it sounds like pantomime. Don't Stop is pure formula Stones by the numbers because they needed a new rock track for 40 Licks. It's hollow and empty and is made of Styrofoam. The chorus absolutely sucks.

Date: September 15, 2013 01:51

Doom And Gloom reached pretty wide, too...

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:12

svt22
Plundered my soul. Past and present blending together like two lost brothers, at least to my perception.

Lord help me.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:30

kleermaker
Though I find Some Girls a plastic, superficial and mediocre album, I think BOB stands out and can be considered to be the last really great Stones song.

When Some Girls came out everyone was all over it, but I never quite saw what all the fuss was about. I played it over and over, trying to get into it, because the consensus was that The Stones Are Back, Baby, but honestly, I don't have the slightest wish to hear any song on it ever again.

Posted by: varv ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:42

Doom And Gloom

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 15, 2013 03:06

"Laugh I nearly died"
"Saint of me"
"Out of tears"
"New faces"

These are the standouts from their last three outings for me but they are not the only "great" songs they've done since BOB.

Your premise of BOB is flawed to me as i don't regard it as "great" to begin with. It's good but that's about it. "No use in crying" is a masterpiece I think but don't suppose too many would agree with me if I used that as the basis for their last "great" song.

Don't matter none as it's all just opinion anyways smiling smiley

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 15, 2013 03:29

THE ROLLING STONES LYRICS
Send "Laugh, I Nearly Died" Ringtone to your Cell
"Laugh, I Nearly Died"

I've been travelling but I don't know where
I've been missing you but you just don't care
And I've been wandering, I've seen Greece and Rome
Lost in the wilderness, so far from home
Yeah, yeah

I've been to Africa, looking for my soul
And I feel like an actor looking for a role
I've been in Arabia, I've seen a million stars
Been sipping champagne on the boulevards - yes

I'm so sick and tired
Trying to turn the tide, yeah
So I'll say my goodbye
Laugh, laugh
I nearly died

I've been down to India, but it froze my bones
I'm living for the city, but I'm all alone
I've been travelling, but I don't know where
I've been wandering, but I just don't care

I hate to be denied
How you hurt my pride
I feel pushed aside
But laugh, laugh, laugh
I nearly died

Been travelling far and wide
Wondering who's going to be my guide

Living in a fantasy but it's way too far
But this kind of loneliness is way too hard
I've been wandering, feeling all alone
I lost my direction and I lost my home...Well

I'm so sick and tired
Now I'm on the side
Feeling so despised
When you laugh, laugh
I almost died

(Been travelling far and wide
Wondering who's going to be my guide)

I hurt my pride, hurt my pride, hurt my pride (Been travelling far and wide)
Been travelling, yeah

(Been travelling far and wide
Wondering who's going to be my guide)

(Been travelling far and wide)

Submit Corrections THE ROLLING STONES Lyrics A-Z Lyrics
Send "Laugh, I Nearly Died" Ringtone to your Cell