Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Aftermath
Posted by: Matt ()
Date: April 25, 2005 11:34

Yesterday, 39 years ago, I bought my very first copy of Aftermath. It was the Mono version , which I traded to the Stereo version with a friend who did not have a Stereo equipment to play it on. I wish I still had the Mono version.....
However I listened to the ABKCO remaster of the album yesterday, and though it sounds good, I still think that the Decca version from 1986 (?) is still the best sounding CD. I wonder what happened to the master used for that version? They must have used another master for the Abkco remaster, or processed it to sound different. However it does not sound as fresh as the Decca version.
Matt

Re: Aftermath
Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: April 25, 2005 15:04

You know what, I still haven't listened to the ABKCO remaster, and I too enjoy very much the sound of the old '86 Decca CD!!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 25, 2005 20:37

Are you referring to the Decca/ London label CD from 86 or the North American ABKCO version from 1986? The ABKCO version wasn't very good, but the Decca/London was remastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound and it does sound good. I bought a European import version back in 86.
The ABKCO hybrid SACD remasters from 2002 sound great. The opening drums on Paint It Black sound alot better.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 25, 2005 21:14

the sony, remastered hybrid sacd version sounds 90% better...in fact the entire collection sounds better..i have replaced the entire old 1986 versions..now in the car... kleins remastered sound sooooo much clearer, brighter, you can hear every note...sounds like it was recorded today...
p.s. aftermath i think is their 4th best album the stones even recorded.
1. let it bleed
2. stickyfinger
3 some girls

Date: April 26, 2005 10:04

Of course I'm referring to the Decca/London version. The ABKCO version prior to the one from 2002 is not worth mentioning at all. Aftermath for me is never the version with Paint it black. I always refer to the 14 track original european version.

Date: April 26, 2005 10:17

Same goes for the other UK editions. The albums become "greatest hits-packages" with the hot rocks thrown in...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 26, 2005 14:45

Strange how a couple of tunes completely change the feel of an album. I feel the same way about "Buutons". The "Night/Ruby" version doesn't even feel like a real album IMO.

Date: April 26, 2005 14:53

When the ABKCO remasters were announced we were informed that a couple of albums would be released in both the US and UK versions. Some were,but I do still wait for the first album, without the silly title all over the sleeve, and with the original songs, but even more for the No:2 album. I have dropped a few mails to ABKCO, but as usual they never answer, so I guess I (we?) have waited in vain?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 26, 2005 14:59

Matt; SO here´s another Sweden, right? Helkul!
Where´re you from? Jag är från södra Norrland.
I´m from Mid-Sweden, everybody knows that.

My 1st & yet only payed album (I borrowed them all since; unless I dont rip it at the internet) i Aftermath...
I´m also into the European version. But, being a real fan of the very PIB-song I, at times, miss it also.

Interesting thoughts of freshness; how often is a new cd crispy?

Here´s some fresh things, even when digital:[www.silence.se]
- click DAG VAG, then album SCENBUDDISM & finally TOKNA & GALNA...
Or, even better, KEBNEKAISE, album (there is only one) and finally KOMMUNISERA.
Esp if you heard those bands on vinyl once. (I also recommend KENNY HÅKANSSON!)
Its 'user adapted', so you´ll keep the chosen songs next time.

Mats.... Did you see my little thread on the Happy-cover by Ebba Grön... ?
I didnt know 'bout that one; but its hot as hell (look at 2nd page at Tell Me;
the head line was something like "Smashing punk rock cover... ").
...And while at the Silence Jukebox you´d better listen to M.Hederos & M.Hellberg´s streaming cover at Shine A Light... A little pale, but ortodox
(yet it lacks the dynamics & intensity of the original).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-26 15:43 by Baboon Bro.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home