Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

This could be fun - Sir Morgan's Cove revisited
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 13:43

At the Lucky Dog Music Hall ( formerly Sir Morgans Cove ) .

[www.localendar.com] 13, 2013&category=5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 16:06 by bv.

Re: This could be fun .........
Date: September 12, 2013 14:48

Found this article this morning .

Sorry I scanned it a bit crooked .

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 12, 2013 16:03

If I were anywhere near I'd definitely go. I've never seen a Stones tribute band at all, so I'd probably find that fun in itself. I don't know if this is a new idea, I've heard of bands playing albums in their entirety, but I've never heard of a band (original or tribute) playing an old concert setlist in it's entirety. Cool idea.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:57

Another article , different newspaper

By Craig S. Semon, TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
csemon@telegram.com

Add a comment

When 9 p.m. Sept. 13

Where Lucky Dog Music Hall, 89 Green St., Worcester

How much $10. Must be 21 or older

Are you ready for a Jumpin' Jack Flashback?

This Friday, to mark the 32nd anniversary of the Rolling Stones playing an impromptu club gig at Sir Morgan's Cove in Downtown Worcester, "Let It Bleed — A Dirty Stones Jam" will get their collective ya-ya's out on the very same, modest-size stage in the very same venue (now known as The Lucky Dog) and perform the very same set the Stones did back in 1981, song for song, and even with some of Mick Jagger's original stage banter intact.

Mike Revelli and Derek Varnum, who are playing Worcester's answer to "The Glimmer Twins" (aka Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, respectively) for this stellar Rolling Stones tribute show, recently took a breather from non-stop rehearsals to pontificate about the myth, the magic and, most importantly, the music that took place when the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band (under the moniker of "Blue Monday and The Cockroaches") crept onto Green Street, as well as what it takes to justly recreate such a legendary event.

While Varnum is also in the Gov't Mule/Allman Brothers tribute band Gov't Surplus and the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tribute band Petty Larceny, Revelli is fairly new on the rock 'n' roll club circuit.

"I was in a previous band, Vinyl Revival, for six months," Revelli said. "This (Let It Bleed) is my second band. I've only been doing this for less than three years."

Let It Bleed has been together for two years, and, in its latest incarnation, for the last six months.

"We've gone through the member influx and the growing pains of a new band," Varnum said. "We have been very fortunate to plug in members who are lifelong friends. The guys that are there are people that one of us has known for years and years or been in other bands with. We're all friends. We all hang out outside. There're no egos and no drama. This band is really built to move forward."

In addition to Revelli and Varnum, Let It Bleed also features drummer Carman Malgeri, keyboardist Jamie Blair, saxophonist Rich Kenderian, lead and rhythm guitarist Chris Tello, bassist Lance Muhammad, singer Karen Draleaus and percussionist Dan Draleaus.

An added bonus, Gilbert S. Markle, the former owner of Longview Farms and the man who talked the Rolling Stones into coming to North Brookfield to practice for nearly two months before their North American "Tattoo You" tour, will be sharing some insider stories and introducing the band Friday night at the Lucky Dog.

Both Revelli and Varnum have very fond but very different memories of when the Stones came to Worcester and the excitement building up to the infamous club gig.

"I was out in the rain like everybody else outside Sir Morgan's," Revelli recalled. "My 1970 Gold Cutlass was completely covered in WAAF bumper stickers with the hopes of getting some tickets."

"My parents' property in Brookfield bordered the property in North Brookfield from Longview Farm," Varnum remembered. "So my dad took me on his Harley on these roads that weren't really roads and there was all kinds of people camping outside like it was the Grateful Dead, these people just pitching tents and hanging out there to get a view of the Stones. There were 30 or 40 tents there."

In 1981, the Rolling Stones played 14 songs in just under an hour. For this faithful recreation of the Sir Morgan's Cove set, Let It Bleed is going to perform a four-to-five-song mini warm-up (after an opening band) and, with a state-of-the-art, syncopated light show accompanying the stage performance, come back to do the 1981 set, in order, from beginning to end, and finish the evening with another killer set.

"Jagger was very nervous about this whole thing, because, of course, years before they had the whole Altamont thing and, less than two years earlier, was The Who in Cincinnati," Revelli said. "They were freaked out that before a national tour, if anything happened here, the publicity would be terrible. … It was touch and go right up to the time the bus pulled up on Green Street."

"The set list, originally, was going to be predominantly 10 songs off the ("Tattoo You") album that they were working on at Longview Farm," Varnum said. "And, I guess, the fellas were in no mental condition to be able to perform the stuff that wasn't muscle memory, and only three songs off the album ("Start Me Up," "Hang Fire" and "Neighbours") made it on the list."

Not only did they only play three songs off "Tattoo You," the Stones opened the set with two Muddy Waters tunes ("Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" and "Mona") before kicking into the first Stones song of the night, "Under My Thumb."

"I remember not recognizing the first two songs, mainly because they were Muddy Waters songs," Revelli said.

"I was 19 and the songs were coming out these two (front) doors, which was just muffled and garbled. I remember "Under My Thumb" and, of course, "Start Me Up" … but, a lot of the songs, it was just noise coming up."

"It's completely against the grain of the way that we like to do our set list," Varnum said. "We like to come out and let people know that we're not here to (expletive) around."

"It was very random," Revelli added. "It's almost like Jagger was saying, 'Ok, let's try this one.'"

While they are recreating the Stones' live show from '81, Let It Bleed is studying the licks off the studio albums because, live, the Stones' tempos are inconsistent, all over the place and not always particularly any good, Revelli and Varnum said.

"Live Stones are everywhere. Sometimes it's slow. Sometimes Keith falls down and Mick saves the day," Revelli remarked. "In 1972, three-and-half-minute songs are about 90 seconds."

As for the most challenging song to duplicate from the '81 set, hands downs, Revelli and Varnum agree that it has to be "Shattered."

"I don't think there is a cover band out there that would play 'Shattered,'" Revelli insisted. "You're putting yourself on the line with the whole banter, timing thing, because if it doesn't sound like the Stones doing "Shattered," you might as well jump off a cliff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 19:58 by boston2006.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 13, 2013 10:04

Its beem like waiting for a bus, nothing like this for years and the weekend i pick to go to the horse races, we get two events going on, one in my local area < kings heath > and another one just down the motorway.

Oh well if i get some winners it will make up for it.>grinning smiley<

Sir Morgan's Cove revisited
Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: September 17, 2013 15:04

Anyone go to this last Friday night?

Let it Bleed

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 17, 2013 16:27

boston2006

By Craig S. Semon, TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
csemon@telegram.com

'... the Stones opened the set with two Muddy Waters tunes ("Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" and "Mona" ) [...] "I remember not recognizing the first two songs, mainly because they were Muddy Waters songs," Revelli said.'

...???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home