Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Celebrate The Clash Box Set
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 10, 2013 19:56

It sounds great and is that rare release that comes along and is worth the money...

New Google Mini Doc too where they give it up to the Stones as their influences:

Apparently Mick Jones attended Hyde Park 1969...

Go get it.

Re: OT: Celebrate The Clash Box Set
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:19

I'm in. Love me some Clash. I've never been able to get into Sandinista though, except a couple songs like Police On My Back and The Magnificent Seven, though I prefer the live version of that one from Shea stadium where they do it as a medley with Armagideon Time.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:53

If you're in London you can be in for a treat!

Celebrating the British punk rock band, curator Robert Gordon McHarg III and members of the band present an exhibition featuring original manuscripts and artifacts, stage clothing, music, film and other memorabilia. A limited collection of prints, signed artwork, vinyls, album boxsets and more will also be on display. The temporary store will have interactive listening posts, and an area given over to Fender to run Master Classes, where you can learn some famous licks or whole songs, and a giveaway exclusive to the store, with the opportunity to win a Fender American Standard Telecaster and a Fender American Standard Precision Bass.

[www.fender.com]

It's a great little exhibition; lots of old posters and memorobilia, a couple of Joe's teles, some amps, a couple of basses (including the one being smashed on the cover of London Calling) and one of Mick's Gibsons. there is also a white (well more like cream) gibson hollow body (??) that I believe was Joe's.
Downstairs there is a guy from Fender with some teles you can play through Fender Mustang amps; he is very helpful and knowledgeable about all sorts of stuff.
If you're a Clash fan it is great, if you just like teles , well you can sit and play to your heart's content. If you like both it is an experience to not be missed !!

Oh yeah and it is all free !!

75 Berwick Street, London W1

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:04

Celebrate is not a word that goes well with "The Clash". What did the Clash ever celebrate? They were into anger and driving propulsion.

Date: September 10, 2013 21:14

triceratops
Celebrate is not a word that goes well with "The Clash". What did the Clash ever celebrate? They were into anger and driving propulsion.

The Clash isn't celebrating...they're closing out their vaults and their legacy...Simonon himself said he's so glad to be done with it he never wants to hear White Riot again...

it is us that are celebrating...have a drink...

Date: September 10, 2013 21:16

NoCode0680
I'm in. Love me some Clash. I've never been able to get into Sandinista though, except a couple songs like Police On My Back and The Magnificent Seven, though I prefer the live version of that one from Shea stadium where they do it as a medley with Armagideon Time.

Sandinista! is an acquired taste, but you gotta love the fearless experimentation...The Leader, Sounds Of The Sinners, In Heaven (not just here), and of course the inimitable Lose This Skin!!

All great tunes...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:20

They made a big mistake with Sandinista - which lead to their infighting and ultimate breakup. Should have been a single album - they got too full of themselves which was surprising. That said, hard to top the previous releases.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:45

michaelsavage
They made a big mistake with Sandinista - which lead to their infighting and ultimate breakup. Should have been a single album - they got too full of themselves which was surprising. That said, hard to top the previous releases.

They said that would have missed the point entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-10 22:42 by open-g.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 10, 2013 22:05

Topper is the best drummer, ever.
He looks healthy, btw.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2013 22:13

Munichhilton

Sandinista! is an acquired taste, but you gotta love the fearless experimentation...The Leader, Sounds Of The Sinners, In Heaven (not just here), and of course the inimitable Lose This Skin!!

All great tunes...

fearless experimentation... make that "hey Paul I have a half-baked "riff" that I came up with on my way to the studio... LET'S PUT IT ON THE ALBUM!!!!" thumbs down

I certainly prefer the "hey Mick let's play this riff for 5 days straight (no sleep) and see if it's any good" Keef way of doing things... thumbs up

Btw I love the Clash but Sandinista... eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-10 22:13 by dcba.

Date: September 10, 2013 22:25

dcba
Munichhilton

All great tunes...

fearless experimentation... make that "hey Paul I have a half-baked "riff" that I came up with on my way to the studio... LET'S PUT IT ON THE ALBUM!!!!" thumbs down

I certainly prefer the "hey Mick let's play this riff for 5 days straight (no sleep) and see if it's any good" Keef way of doing things... thumbs up

Btw I love the Clash but Sandinista... eye rolling smiley

This is a celebration...not hysterical conjecture regarding an alleged car ride that may or may not have produced album filler while in transit to a recording establishment...

A celebration!!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 10, 2013 22:48

Munichhilton
triceratops

The Clash isn't celebrating...they're closing out their vaults and their legacy...Simonon himself said he's so glad to be done with it he never wants to hear White Riot again...

So they are having a going out of business sale? A garage sale.

Date: September 10, 2013 22:52

triceratops
Munichhilton
triceratops

So they are having a going out of business sale? A garage sale.

Yes. Yes, exactly. Except this sale has no nickel bin...did you get that drink?

Date: September 10, 2013 22:55

Wait a minute. The Amazon description says "this boxset contains the band's 5 seminal studio albums". I know Cut The Crap is pretty much universally disliked, and it's basically a Joe solo album with Paul appearing on 1 track, but like it or not it's part of the discography. "This Is England" is a good song, and it seems like there was 1 other song on there that caught my ear once but I forget what it was. I wish they would have just made it complete.

Date: September 10, 2013 22:59

NoCode0680
Wait a minute. The Amazon description says "this boxset contains the band's 5 seminal studio albums". I know Cut The Crap is pretty much universally disliked, and it's basically a Joe solo album with Paul appearing on 1 track, but like it or not it's part of the discography. "This Is England" is a good song, and it seems like there was 1 other song on there that caught my ear once but I forget what it was. I wish they would have just made it complete.

Cut The Crap wasn't seminal...it didn't fit the description...plus I believe the band officially disowned it at a happy hour that got out of hand...can't change that now, but yes This Is England was and is brilliant. Disowned and homeless but brilliant...

Date: September 10, 2013 23:21

Munichhilton
NoCode0680

Cut The Crap wasn't seminal...it didn't fit the description...plus I believe the band officially disowned it at a happy hour that got out of hand...can't change that now, but yes This Is England was and is brilliant. Disowned and homeless but brilliant...

That's the product description, it's not mandatory only seminal albums appear in the box set. I know they've disowned it, but it is out there. It's too late to take it back and it's part of the discography. I just figured maybe enough time had passed that they would be comfortable enough to stop pretending it didn't happen. Joe disowned it, but that doesn't mean he always would have. Rivers Cuomo of Weezer disowned Pinkerton, now it's considered their greatest album and got the Deluxe Edition treatment. Not that Cut The Crap should be compared to Pinkerton, or that it needs any special treatment, I'm just saying that just because somebody once said they disowned something doesn't mean it should be tossed away. I'm still going to buy this box, and CELEBRATE!!!, but I bet you a million dollars that it's going to get pulled back into their discography at some point. It will get some sort of treatment. Joe is too much of a legend and too loved for something he did to disappear forever.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:20

I've always loved Sandinista. Even if its too long. They never played better and the best of it is as good as 'London Calling'.

I'd love to hear a proper 'band' recording of the songs on 'Cut the Crap'. Surely there are studio versions of those songs in the vaults before Bernie Rhodes ruined them with drum machines and that awful mix? When they played those songs live in 1984 they sounded really promising. I still think about half of the released album is really good.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:21

Sandinista is a fantastic album. How can you say it's full of half-baked riffs? It's full of highly original arrangements and wonderful lyrics. Even the songs that are less perfect (Crooked beat, Junkie slip) are always interesting attemps and add to the mood. An incredibly athmospheric record.

Something about England, Magnificent Seven, Washington Bullets, Charlie don't surf, Let the music talk, Corner Soul, Version city, Street parade, The Leader, One more time, Police on my back... Any album containing these gems is a masterpiece. They come wrapped up in original, adventurous sounds and people complain...

It's maybe not a rocker's album: a lot of musicians from triphop, hip hop, electro have confessed to having been greatly influenced by it.

Date: September 11, 2013 00:43

otonneau
Sandinista is a fantastic album. How can you say it's full of half-baked riffs? It's full of highly original arrangements and wonderful lyrics. Even the songs that are less perfect (Crooked beat, Junkie slip) are always interesting attemps and add to the mood. An incredibly athmospheric record.

Something about England, Magnificent Seven, Washington Bullets, Charlie don't surf, Let the music talk, Corner Soul, Version city, Street parade, The Leader, One more time, Police on my back... Any album containing these gems is a masterpiece. They come wrapped up in original, adventurous sounds and people complain...

It's maybe not a rocker's album: a lot of musicians from triphop, hip hop, electro have confessed to having been greatly influenced by it.

Now that's a celebration! I hope you people are paying attention...this guy gets it...Gazza as well...he's celebrating too...yup

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:53

Sandinista was a big mistake. It is full of half-ideas, no ideas, some real good ones -- and quite frankly there is a lot of nonsense. It is WHY they ultimately broke up.

Date: September 11, 2013 00:59

michaelsavage
Sandinista was a big mistake. It is full of half-ideas, no ideas, some real good ones -- and quite frankly there is a lot of nonsense. It is WHY they ultimately broke up.

I thought it was more about Topper's departure. At least that's the narrative I've known, may be complete bullshit. I'd always heard Topper was the mediator, good at getting along with everybody and was able to make peace between the others when needed, so when he was eventually let go because his heroine addiction becoming too much, then the in-fighting spun out of control and the wheels came off.

Date: September 11, 2013 01:00

Now that's not a celebration...I hope you people are paying attention...this guy doesn't get Sandinista! at all...

We need another beer run by the way...

Date: September 11, 2013 01:03

Munichhilton
We need another beer run by the way...

To hell with that, I'm going to meet my weed guy in 30 minutes. Then it's CELEBRATION TIME. By the way "Paul's Tune" from the Vanilla Tapes is my toke track.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2013 01:19

UNCUT October 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2013 01:20

NoCode gets it too, except saying 'To hell with beer' in Texas is frowned upon...you should already know the rules of this great state...one that the Clash was especially partial to by the way...

Date: September 11, 2013 01:25

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2013 01:32

Munichhilton
NoCode gets it too, except saying 'To hell with beer' in Texas is frowned upon...you should already know the rules of this great state...one that the Clash was especially partial to by the way...

Well, not always to hell with beer. I do love beer, always have at least 3 types of Shiner in the fridge. But The Clash are a band that I just don't get into drunk. I have to be sober or stoned. They're just not drinking music to me.

Were they partial to Texas? I know they filmed the Rock The Casbah video here, but that's the only Texas connection I knew of.

Date: September 11, 2013 01:38

NoCode0680
Munichhilton

Well, not always to hell with beer. I do love beer, always have at least 3 types of Shiner in the fridge. But The Clash are a band that I just don't get into drunk. I have to be sober or stoned. They're just not drinking music to me.

Were they partial to Texas? I know they filmed the Rock The Casbah video here, but that's the only Texas connection I knew of.

Off the top of my head all the Combat Rock promo shots and LP cover were shot in Austin. Topper died briefly on Buddy Hollys grave before being revived...and they used to hang with Joe Ely here a lot! Joe has some stories...

There are many more Texas connections...I fergit 'em...

Date: September 11, 2013 01:42

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2013 01:43

Munichhilton
Off the top of my head all the Combat Rock promo shots and LP cover were shot in Austin. Topper died briefly on Buddy Hollys grave before being revived...and they used to hang with Joe Ely here a lot! Joe has some stories...

There are many more Texas connections...I fergit 'em...

I didn't know that about Topper. Are you sure about the Combat Rock cover? Maybe the promo shots, but, and this is according to Wikipedia mind you but that info has been there a long time without being changed...

"Pennie Smith shot the cover photo for Combat Rock on a deserted railway line outside Bangkok while the band was on their Far East tour in 1982."

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home