Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Ronnie, Rod, Faces & Stones
Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 13, 2014 07:57

the faces should tour with keith!

OT: The Faces... with Rod
Posted by: ClashMusic ()
Date: January 15, 2014 16:14

Afternoon!

We just got off the phone to Ian MacLagan (full interview coming soon) but couldn't help asking about The Faces...

Seems the latest is that Rod's up for it.

[www.clashmusic.com]

Re: OT: The Faces... with Rod
Date: January 15, 2014 16:18

Didn't Mac have a Small Faces anniversary to do?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 15, 2014 16:42

It would be nice but I'll believe it when it happens. He's been a bit of an arse about it in the past and has only done an appearance or two with Ronnie joining him that I know of. But if he's ready to be a Rock and Roller again I would definitely love to see that.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 15, 2014 16:52

Ian McLagan (from Clashmusic above):
"There’s always a chance" he said. "The latest is that Rod really wants to do it – so that’s great, I’m in. But we’ll see. We’re all keen to do it. It would be lovely to have Rod there because he’s the voice but we’ll see. We’re working towards it. I’m as keen to do it as anyone, always have been".

Previously:
Speaking to Uncut, however, McLagan says there’s no chance of a Faces reunion in 2015, as he and drummer Kenney Jones are keeping the year free for celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of The Small Faces – a band whose line-up did not include Stewart.

“It’s interesting that Rod announces these things without talking to me or Kenney,” McLagan says. “Why would we @#$%& around with the Faces when we’ve got bigger fish to fry? We’ve done the Faces and he didn’t turn up.”

(see thread here)

Then Kenney Jones said:
The Faces AND the Small Faces may well be active concerns in 2015 -- at least if drummer Kenney Jones has his way. Jones tells Billboard that a Faces reunion tour, with Rod Stewart fronting the group again, is indeed in the planning stages.

"We've been talking; Woody's (guitarist Ron Wood) management and myself, we were talking to Rod's management," Jones says.

Stewart made the news public last month, much to the chagrin of keyboardist Ian McLagan, who hadn't heard anything and responded derisively to Stewart's comment. "Mac didn't realize we were talking because it was in it's early stages," Jones explains. "But he understands full now. (Stewart) probably presumed everyone knew we were doing it, so there was nothing intentional."

(from same thread)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-15 16:53 by LieB.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 15, 2014 18:50

dang..I'd go ..

hope the tickets don't cost too much.. Theatres or clubs only!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 15, 2014 19:59

Back in the 70's they were the ultimate party band ... bar on stage and alldrinking smileysmileys with beerdrinking smiley

OT: Fot those hoping for a Faces reunion with Rod Stewart
Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: March 5, 2014 12:50

It will never happen. Rod and his management know where there is more money to be made. Rod is touring North America in the summer with Santana.

Re: OT: Fot those hoping for a Faces reunion with Rod Stewart
Date: March 5, 2014 13:00

While there of course is a possibility of a Faces reunion-tour after the Stones finish their tour, I'm afraid you're right...

Re: OT: Fot those hoping for a Faces reunion with Rod Stewart
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 5, 2014 13:27

I'm glad this is what the OP said because I was afraid it was going to be another "hopeful quote" from him.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. If Rod really wanted it, it would have happened by this point, and he can fill arenas for whatever reason easier on his own name than on a Faces reunion tour.

Oh well. For me, Rod will always be one of the more controversial guys in rock, being SO good yet making SUCH bad choices since roughly 1976.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 13, 2014 21:21

Faces and Small Faces Keyboardist Ian McLagan Says Both Bands "Will Do Something in 2015"

Jim Chapman

March 12, 2014

For years, Faces fans have hoped that all of the band's surviving members would agree to hit the stage together, and it now appears that plans for a reunion event or tour finally are in the works for 2015.

"We're expecting big news any day," Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan tells ABC News Radio, before hedging just a little. "I mean, it's a plan. I hope it all comes together. It sounds like it will this time."

McLagan says that in addition to he and his Faces band mates -- singer Rod Stewart, guitarist Ronnie Wood and drummer Kenney Jones -- likely getting together next year, he and Jones are plotting a special event celebrating their pre-Faces group The Small Faces' 50th anniversary.

"Small Faces and the Faces will do something in 2015," he declares. "It's looking very healthy."

McLagan explains that while Faces reunion will probably be a full-fledged tour, the Small Faces celebration likely will be a one-off London tribute concert featuring a variety of special guests filling in for the band's two late members -- frontman Steve Marriott and bassist Ronnie Lane.

"We got lots of friends," Ian points out. "We need singers and bass players and guitarists, and we know a lot of them. So, we'll put something together…We'll probably do…just one decent show and I think that would be really, really fine."

The surviving Faces were supposed to have given a reunion performance at the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but Stewart was unable to attend the event because of illness. McLagan, Wood and Jones wound up performing with Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall filling in for Stewart. That same lineup mounted a partial Faces reunion tour in 2010 and 2011.

Meanwhile, McLagan tells ABC News Radio that he's excited about the new and expansive Small Faces box set, Here Come the Nice, that was released earlier this year. The collection gathers together a wide variety of rare recordings the British rockers made for the U.K.'s Immediate label from 1967 to 1969.

"It includes four CDs of previously unreleased material -- some stuff I hadn't even heard, mainly us working on songs in the studio," McLagan explains. He adds that the package also features "four vinyl 45s, two posters, postcards, a book of all the lyrics with photographs, and another hardback book which tells the story of how this collection came to be put together."

McLagan and Jones both contributed their input into the project, which was overseen by Rob Caiger, who Ian says took years putting the set together. "He's done a wonderful job," adds McLagan.

Meanwhile, Ian is gearing up to release a solo album titled United States with his longtime backing group The Bump Band this June. They'll be promoting the upcoming release with a couple of concerts this Thursday during the South by Southwest festival in McLagan's adopted hometown of Austin, Texas. Ian and The Bump Band will play an early show at The Lucky Lounge, where the group performs regularly for free, and a late gig as part of a Yep Roc Records showcase at The Continental Club.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Date: March 14, 2014 01:57

whatever happened to tetsu? nobody seems to talk about him for a reunion...

Date: March 14, 2014 02:06

tetsu article

This might explain it...

Whatever happened to the Rod Stewart & Faces reunion?
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 27, 2014 13:32

A few months ago there were stories floating around about a full Faces reunion planned for this year. Supposedly, Rod Stewart had finally agreed to join with his former bandmates for a tour that would take place in-between Stones tours. There was some legitimate press and interviews where both Rod and Ronnie Wood spoke about it, but I haven't heard anything further in months. With most of the big summer tours already announced, at this point it seems unlikely they would be able to put something together...at least until later this year. Has anyone heard any new information?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 13:38 by TornAndFried.

Re: Whatever happened to the Rod Stewart & Faces reunion?
Posted by: stereomanic ()
Date: March 27, 2014 13:38

The last bit of press I read on this was it was a no-go until Ronnie stops touring with the stones. So I am guessing maybe next year? (depending on how long the stones continue on this tour for?)

Re: Whatever happened to the Rod Stewart & Faces reunion?
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 27, 2014 15:00

stereomanic
The last bit of press I read on this was it was a no-go until Ronnie stops touring with the stones. So I am guessing maybe next year? (depending on how long the stones continue on this tour for?)

Thanks. I just read the Ian McLagen interview above and he stated a Faces reunion is looking good for 2015. Hopefully, the Stones will continue to tour off and on next year as well and Ronnie can work out a schedule with both groups. I really hope it does happen. I never got to see The Faces when they were together, and these guys aren't getting any younger so better do it soon before we lose any more original members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 15:02 by TornAndFried.

Date: April 2, 2014 02:49

New track from Mac and the Bump Band's forthcoming 'United States':

Ian McLagan of the Faces Returns With ‘All I Wanna Do’ (Song Premiere)

April 1, 2014
By Eric R. Danton

Jim Chapin

Ian McLagan cast doubt last year on the prospect of a Faces reunion in 2014, and now there’s a reason why: The singer, songwriter and keyboardist is readying the release of “United States,” his first solo album in nearly six years. McLagan today premieres the first song, “All I Wanna Do,” on Speakeasy.

The slow-burning tune rides a deep organ groove as McLagan gives voice to infatuation in a soulful, slightly weathered voice. Eat your heart out, Rod Stewart.

“We had been playing most of the tracks live for some time to knock them into shape, and audiences responded really well to ‘All I Wanna Do,’” McLagan said. “So it was the first song we cut for the record.”

McLagan, 68, is a rock ’n’ roll veteran. He joined the Small Faces in 1965, and stayed on when the band became the Faces in 1969, when Stewart and Ronnie Wood joined following the departure of Steve Marriott. After the Faces called it quits in the ’70s, McLagan collaborated with the Rolling Stones, and he’s since led his own band while collaborating with the likes of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne and Paul Westerberg. McLagan was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012. His most recent previous album, “Never Say Never,” came out in 2008.

The singer recorded the 10-track “United States” in Manor, Texas, with his longtime collaborators in the Bump Band. The album is due June 17 on Yep Roc.

"All I Wanna Do" > [w.soundcloud.com]

[blogs.wsj.com]

Date: April 2, 2014 18:01

Despite the writer's boldfaced claim, wouldn't think Mac's album will impact any future Faces plans.

Faces Great Ian McLagan Set to Release First New Studio Album in Five Years

4/1/2014 by Roy Trakin

Jim Chapin

Legendary keyboardist release may set back plans for a Faces reunion.

For those who longed to see a Faces reunion -- the legendary U.K. band that featured both Rod Stewart and Ron Wood -- they may have to wait.

The keyboardist in that group, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Ian McLagan, will release United States, his first new studio album in five years, June 17, on indie Yep Roc Records.

The album, McLagan's first since being inducted into the Hall of Fame as a founding member of the Faces, showcases his gift for crafting memorable hooks, with plenty of lusty grooves and reflective musings.

Songs on the album include "Love Letter” and the smooth, moody take-charge anthem "Who Says It Ain't Love," while "Shalalala" draws from classic soul and "How Blue" sports a pumping boogie-woogie shuffle.

McLagan is slated to play the NON-COMMvention in Philadelphia May 15 and NPR's Cabinet of Wonders in NYC May 17.

The ten songs on the album feature McLagan on vocals, keys and guitar, joined by his longtime collaborators the Bump Band ("Scrappy" Jud Newcomb, Jon Notarthomas and Conrad Choucroun), with Leigh Mahoney (David Byrne, the Tosca Strings) on violin for album closer "He's Not For You." McLagan recorded and produced the album at his own Doghouse Studios in Manor, Texas. The songs were mixed by longtime friend, award-winning producer Glyn Johns (The Faces, The Who) and mastered by Bob Ludwig (Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones).

McLagan recorded his 2009 album Never Say Never after losing his wife Kim in a tragic car accident. CBS Sunday Morning called it a "knock-out" and Mojo described it as "Pub-rock's answer to Blood on the Tracks."

McLagan's musical career began in '60s UK as the keyboard player for the Small Faces and then the Faces. He has performed and recorded with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Bragg, among others. McLagan relocated to Austin, Texas, in 1994 and has been a key player in the thriving music scene there for two decades. The Faces reunited (without Rod Stewart) for a charity performance at Royal Albert Hall in 2009 and performed select dates over the next three years, including their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2012.

United States track list:

1. All I Wanna Do
2. Pure Gold
3. Don't Say Nothing
4. I'm Your Baby Now
5. Mean Old World
6. Love Letter
7. Who Says It Ain't Love
8. Shalalala
9. How Blue
10. He's Not For You

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

-----

Some July UK dates have been announced - [www.ianmclagan.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 2, 2014 18:16

Im sure none of us expected to live to see the day when the guy from Simply Red sings the Faces stuff a far far better than Rod Stewart can.

Ian McLagan Song Premiere
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: April 2, 2014 23:20

[blogs.wsj.com]

story

album is due June 17

Re: Ian McLagan Song Premiere
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 3, 2014 01:07

Date: April 22, 2014 23:51

Mac's got a couple of May US dates scheduled, including a return to the Grammy Museum in LA.

The Drop: Ian McLagan

Date: May. 6, 2014 - 8:00 PM

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Ian McLagan’s musical career began in the 1960’s in the UK as the keyboard player for the Small Faces and the Faces. He has performed and recorded with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Bragg, among many others. McLagan relocated to Austin, TX in 1994 and has been a key player in the thriving music scene there for two very exciting decades. The British rock legend will release United States, his first new studio album in five years, on June 17 via Yep Roc Records. McLagan recorded and produced the album at his own The Doghouse Studios in Manor, Texas. The 10 original tracks on United States feature McLagan on vocals, keys, and guitar, with songs mixed by longtime friend Glyn Johns (The Faces, The Who) and mastered by Bob Ludwig (Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones.) The album alternates between lusty grooves and reflective musings, showcasing McLagan’s beguiling charm and timeless gift for crafting memorable hooks. Yearning standout “Love Letter” leads into the smooth and moody take-charge song “Who Says It Ain’t Love,” while “Shalalala” draws from classic soul and “How Blue” rides a boogie-woogie shuffle. Before McLagan plays the NON-COMMvention in Philadelphia May 15 and NPR’s Cabinet of Wonders in New York City on May 17, join us for McLagan’s second appearance in The Clive Davis Theater, for an intimate discussion, moderated by Vice President of The GRAMMY Foundation and MusiCares, Scott Goldman. After the discussion, McLagan will perform a selection of songs.

[www.grammymuseum.org]

Date: May 7, 2014 16:22

Ian McLagan at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, May 6. (Getty Images)

More Faces talk from Mac in an interview with Goldmine's Mike Greenblatt.

The proposed Faces reunion of McLagan, Wood, Jones and Stewart has been talked about for years. That’s something the piano player is more willing to address.

“I’d love to do it. It’s what I’ve been trying to do for years. Let’s do it already. It looks like it’s more likely now than ever, but who knows? I’m up for it. Yes. The answer’s ‘Yes, yes and yes.’ Have I made myself clear?”

But who would play bass?

“There’s a lot of people who would like to play bass with us. Glen Matlock [Sex Pistols], for one. That’s not a problem. Whoever it is, though, has to respect Ronnie Lane’s parts. It’s not like they’re coming in to play lead bass. The parts are already there. Same as my parts are there as the piano player. Ronnie Lane’s parts were so integral to the arrangements. He was a very melodic bass player. So any bass player who thinks he’s going to start soloing, or pop the bass, will get a thump in the ear from me!”

[www.goldminemag.com]

Date: May 23, 2014 17:29

"Love Letter", another track from Mac and The Bumps forthcoming 'United States', out June 17.

[www.yeproc.com]
_____

More Faces 2015 talk, from an interview with Billboard's Gary Graff:

Next year, meanwhile, looks "very promising" for a Faces reunion, this time with Rod Stewart finally joining McLagan, Ron Wood and Kenney Jones.

"It looks like next year will be the charm," says McLagan, who's been playing occasional Faces dates with Wood, Jones and Mick Hucknall since 2009. "Rod apparently is keen and I'm as keen as ever. My door's always been open to that. To be fair, (Stewart) was sick when we were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I think this time he really means it. I'm smiling. I'm hoping. He talks very positively, and I'm happy to hear it."

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 23, 2014 17:40

bye bye johnny
"Love Letter", another track from Mac and The Bumps forthcoming 'United States', out June 17.

[www.yeproc.com]
_____

More Faces 2015 talk, from an interview with Billboard's Gary Graff:

Next year, meanwhile, looks "very promising" for a Faces reunion, this time with Rod Stewart finally joining McLagan, Ron Wood and Kenney Jones.

"It looks like next year will be the charm," says McLagan, who's been playing occasional Faces dates with Wood, Jones and Mick Hucknall since 2009. "Rod apparently is keen and I'm as keen as ever. My door's always been open to that. To be fair, (Stewart) was sick when we were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I think this time he really means it. I'm smiling. I'm hoping. He talks very positively, and I'm happy to hear it."

[www.billboard.com]

Simply DIVINE ............ thank you so much for posting

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 23, 2014 18:00

thumbs up

Ian Mclagan
Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 7, 2014 22:53

Ian is playing live at the iridium NYC June 17

Re: Ian Mclagan
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 8, 2014 00:48

And I'll be seeing him in London on 4 July! hot smiley

Re: Ian Mclagan
Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 8, 2014 14:47

What location in London ?

Date: June 8, 2014 15:07

Poster for the London show:

Mac and the Bumps are doing shows in NY and LA to promote 'United States' before he and Jon head over to the UK and Ireland.

[www.ianmclagan.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home