Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: hope this isn't way too OT- new Van Gogh painting
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 10, 2013 05:44

Heard the story on the radio and wondered what was new. Not OT. Thanks.smiling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 10, 2013 06:58

A little treat while thinking of Van Gogh:

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 10, 2013 12:07

Outtake - LOL! We might call these 'The citadel rehearsals'. Here's another one:

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 10, 2013 13:01

Mathijs
Quite funny actually. It was considered 'fake' for the last 100 years as just about any and all expert considered it 'too ugly' and 'too badly made' to be a Van Gogh. Now it turns out the be real, and all I read is that it is most frigging amazing important super duper fantastic incredible worth-at-least 2 trilion billion dollars work.

Let's be fair: it's ugly, Van Gogh wrote it is a failure, all colours have dissapeared over time, it is crap. It just shows how the art world is just a bunch of crap.

Mathijs

Indeed, it's just a commercial trick of the Van Gogh museum to beat the Kröller Müller museum for at last one year.

As for the outtakes: Van Gogh made many of them, and a lot of acetates as well.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 10, 2013 14:12

...I'm told he did some artwork for the LICKS-tour as well:

P.S.: "hope this isn't way too OT"... NOW it definitely isn't (anymore). winking smiley

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: September 10, 2013 15:05

Limbostone
steverogan
Stunning! A true treasure.. I went to the Kroller Museum outside of Amsterdam

In Dutch terms it's almost at the other side of the country...winking smiley

steverogan
to see VG paintings. A great experience; to see so many of his works in one place.
You might wanna try the Van Gogh Museum...

I went to the VG museum as well. I found the Kroller to be more enjoyable with less people and just an astounding number of VGs.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 15:24

I was in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam twice and it surely is one of the best galleries I have ever seen and I have seen pretty much all the "big" galleries in Europe.

Van Gogh has always been one of my absolute favourites and I like what our teacher said about him when I was taking History of Art classes. He said, that painting was a big struggle for Van Gogh. That he has done a lot of average and under-average paintings, but when he had a day he did stuff that was better than the best. Eventhough it is very over-simplified, I think that is quite realistic judgement of his art.

As for this particular painting - it is nice of course, but if I saw it in his museum when I was there back then, it would surely not be one of the works I would remember.

I have the Van Gogh - Complete Paintings book, but now it is not "complete." Too bad :-)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 10, 2013 17:46

Mathijs
Quite funny actually. It was considered 'fake' for the last 100 years as just about any and all expert considered it 'too ugly' and 'too badly made' to be a Van Gogh. Now it turns out the be real, and all I read is that it is most frigging amazing important super duper fantastic incredible worth-at-least 2 trilion billion dollars work.

Let's be fair: it's ugly, Van Gogh wrote it is a failure, all colours have dissapeared over time, it is crap. It just shows how the art world is just a bunch of crap.

Mathijs

With the modern technology of today they are able to better analyze. I have been to Arles a couple of times, great scenery where VG created amazing artworks.

Your post is a load of crap

Date: September 10, 2013 17:59

Mathijs

Mathijs

If you want to be fair then BE fair. How can you tell the colors have faded? Pictures of paintings do not reflect the true vibrancy and accuracy of color and textures of brush strokes, etc. "Café at Night" in this thread is an example of inaccurate color when compared to the original. I saw the original and the color in the painting is nothing like the photo. Art, like music is subjective. Many on this board love certain Stones songs and think others are terrible. Subjective tastes.
I think this is a beautiful painting and we are fortunate enough to see a work of a master we had never seen before. To write "the whole art world is just a bunch of crap" is not fair and is not, in mine and millions of other art lovers, true. Your post is pure manure. THAT is a fact that my fellow art lovers would agree with.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2013 19:18

It's practically impossible to judge the impact of a Van Gogh painting unless you're standing in front of it. I have seen all the Van Goghs in Amsterdam, and at the Kroller, and in Paris, Rotterdam, and at various museums across the U.S. I even managed, in a traveling exhibition, to see one from Russia I thought I'd never see. Van Gogh is a prisoner walking in a courtyard with other prisoners in a circle, with Van Gogh being the prisoner looking back at the viewer.

Van Gogh's paintings blow away most of his contemporaries when they're gathered together. At the Musee d'orsay in Paris their impressionist wing has Renoirs, etc, and some of them are very ho hum in person. But Van Gogh's paintings always stand out, hard to be reproduced in poster form because of his unique, deep brush strokes.

I'm shocked it took them so long to identify this painting. Did they think someone was copying Van Gogh? It's obviously his style. And no, it's not an outtake. Maybe a B side. As a B side it's much better than One More Shot.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:54

24FPS
It's practically impossible to judge the impact of a Van Gogh painting unless you're standing in front of it. I have seen all the Van Goghs in Amsterdam, and at the Kroller, and in Paris, Rotterdam, and at various museums across the U.S. I even managed, in a traveling exhibition, to see one from Russia I thought I'd never see. Van Gogh is a prisoner walking in a courtyard with other prisoners in a circle, with Van Gogh being the prisoner looking back at the viewer.

. At the Musee d'orsay in Paris their impressionist wing has Renoirs, etc, and some of them are very ho hum in person. But Van Gogh's paintings always stand out, hard to be reproduced in poster form because of his unique, deep brush strokes.

Van Gogh's paintings blow away most of his contemporaries when they're gathered together

agree completely with your post especially this part because you said 'most' of his contemporaries...

curious as to which artists contemporary with Van Gogh you regard as not ones to be blown away by his work..?

for me it would be Gauguin, possibly Degas as well

I'm shocked it took them so long to identify this painting. Did they think someone was copying Van Gogh? It's obviously his style. And no, it's not an outtake. Maybe a B side. As a B side it's much better than One More Shot.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:33

It's not a masterpiece in any way.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:38

Rockman
This "new" Van Gogh painting is getting a deluxe treatment release-wise in November, just in time for the Christmas Market.

The limited deluxe edtion features a fine art print, a 96-page hardcover book with previously unseen photos of Van Gogh's paintings, a 1200 word essay by Greil Marcus, a bonus replica poster for an van Gogh exhibition in Paris 1976, four glossy postcards and a replica Van Gogh paintbrush.

Standard editions will feature the fine art print and the postcards only.

For a limited time only, a high resolution jpg can by downloaded via itunes

CLASSIC..... and spot on Papo

That's greeat but are they gonna do it in different colourways too?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:42

Mathijs

Mathijs
You got that right, I remember a trio of renowned art critics on the TV in the eighties declaring an abstract picture "Wonderous".......it turned out it had been done by an elephant.......................

Date: September 10, 2013 22:04

kleermaker

Can you please be specific and tell all of us neophytes what the exact characteristics that make this painting not a masterpiece? Also please enlighten us as to an exact VG you feel is a masterpiece and the qualities, characteristics that make it one?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2013 22:37

kleermaker

Did someone claim it was?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:57

THE AGE ....................... September 11 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2013 12:42

About the Kröller Muller Museum, Captain Beefheart, a Van Gogh aficionado, is quoted to have said after leaving the museum: 'The real sun, what a dissapointment...'

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: September 11, 2013 15:55

Great thread. I read about this a few days ago. Among Impressionists or anyone else, Van Gogh transcends art. Have you read that his death was not suicide, but that he was murdered by some punky rich kids on holiday? And on his death bed, VG made a comment to the effect of, "They didn't do it." As in, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Sound familiar? Both figures dying essentially in rags, yet posthumously idolized and generating hundreds of millions of dollars in contrast to their destitute lives. VG was a special soul for sure.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 11, 2013 15:58

paulm
Great thread. I read about this a few days ago. Among Impressionists or anyone else, Van Gogh transcends art. Have you read that his death was not suicide, but that he was murdered by some punky rich kids on holiday? And on his death bed, VG made a comment to the effect of, "They didn't do it." As in, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Sound familiar? Both figures dying essentially in rags, yet posthumously idolized and generating hundreds of millions of dollars in contrast to their destitute lives. VG was a special soul for sure.

well he originally wanted to be a minister...
but he was too intense and scared folks..

so he became an artist!

Posted by: artofstone ()
Date: September 11, 2013 17:39

thanks duke for posting this!

i saw it on the news and i must definitly agree: wonderful painting and no doubt about it.
as i'm working as an artist too, i could only say: van gogh rocks!
he's the master of putting on the lights in his works. and he opend a new way for many, many artists and inspired generations of them and still does...
so this thread isn't way too OTsmiling smiley

artofstone
mathiasmayr.com

Date: September 11, 2013 18:09

Greg
About the Kröller Muller Museum, Captain Beefheart, a Van Gogh aficionado, is quoted to have said after leaving the museum: 'The real sun, what a dissapointment...'

It is The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.
I do have a tape of this interview and its funny to hear the Captain pronouncing
Van Gogh! I think the Captain used Dutch oil paint.

Date: September 11, 2013 18:21

paulm

there is no evidence about the theory of murder

Date: September 11, 2013 18:45

runaway
Greg

I do have a tape of this interview and its funny to hear the Captain pronouncing Van Gogh! I think the Captain used Dutch oil paint.

Ah, my bad. "Used dutch oil paint" - to paint or to pronounce van Gogh.. ;-)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 11, 2013 19:32

A little satire on the situation from "The Onion".

[www.theonion.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:10

runaway
Greg

I do have a tape of this interview and its funny to hear the Captain pronouncing
Van Gogh! I think the Captain used Dutch oil paint.

Didn't Beefheart claim he was a descendent from Dutch artists through his father?

Mathijs

Date: September 11, 2013 21:11

Greg
runaway
Greg

I do have a tape of this interview and its funny to hear the Captain pronouncing Van Gogh! I think the Captain used Dutch oil paint.

Ah, my bad. "Used dutch oil paint" - to paint or to pronounce van Gogh.. ;-)

I do have to listen again to the tape but I do think the Captain was on about " Scheveningen Oil Paint" One of the best in colors but expensive

Cheers

Date: September 12, 2013 19:33

Patti Smith/ Vincent van Gogh

Patti Smith's acoustic set in the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam 3 November 2005.

I went there paying the normal entrance "10 € " and was sitting in the back on the floor waiting when a long haired lady just came from the escalator and passed me by, it was Patti and Lenny Kay, I grabbed my camera but was too late, they both went into the Museum to look at Vincents paintings. They came back later and did a very special acoustic concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-13 08:50 by runaway.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 13, 2013 00:09

Mathijs
Didn't Beefheart claim he was a descendent from Dutch artists through his father?

Mathijs

Or was it a descended from counterfeiter?

Date: September 13, 2013 10:04

Mathijs

Mathijs

Don Van Vliet .... He claimed to have as an ancestor Peter van Vliet, a Dutch painter who knew Rembrandt. ...

Nothing found about Peter Van Vliet " Dutch Painter".
I found this about Jan Van Vliet and Rembrandt;

Jan Gillisz. van Vliet (ca.1605-1668) was a Leiden printmaker, best known for his collaboration with Rembrandt. The collaboration between the two artists are the two fabricators regard a number of works (both prints and paintings), in the past often confused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-15 17:43 by runaway.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home