Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Out Of Control
Posted by: René ()
Date: September 9, 2013 09:54

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Out Of Control (4.44)
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Ocean Way Recording Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, March 13 - July 1997

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, wah wah electric guitar, harmonica, shaker
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Waddy Wachtel - electric guitar
Danny Saber - bass, clavinet, reality manipulations
Don Was - Wurlitzer piano, keyboards
Jamie Muhoberac - keyboards
Jim Keltner - percussion
Blondie Chaplin - backing vocals
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals

I was out in the city, I was out in the rain
I was feeling down-hearted, I was drinking again
I was standing by the bridges where the dark water flows
I was talking to a stranger about times long ago
I was young, I was foolish, I was angry, I was vain
I was charming, I was lucky, tell me how have I changed
Now I'm out, oh out of control
Now I'm out, oh out of control, yes, oh help me now, yeah

And the girls in the doorway and the boys on the game
And the drunks and the homeless they all know me
And the police on the corner give a nod and a wave
And they point me to my final destination
I was charming, feeling lucky, tell me how have I changed
Now I'm out, oh out of control, oh yes
Now I'm out, oh out of control, oh help me now, yes

In the hotel I'm excited by the smile on her face
But I wondered how was time gonna change her, yeah
I was charming, I was out there, tell me how have I changed
Now I'm out, oh out of control
Oh yes, oh I'm out, oh out of control, oh yes, I am

Produced by Don Was, Danny Saber & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Bridges To Babylon” CD
(Virgin Records VJCP 25333) Japan, September 26, 1997

Re: Track Talk: Out Of Control
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 9, 2013 10:10

Top song! 4/5 thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 10:12 by Come On.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 9, 2013 11:44

Starts off the greatest 15 minutes of the album: Out of Control - Saint of Me - Might as well get juiced.
Great track.
Always loved it when they did it live.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:07

Surprisingly an amazing late track from them that I just discovered within the last 5 months. They were clearly capable of writing great songs if they really tried (even though they were all separate outputs at this point and this is very clearly just a Mick Jagger track) so at times I wish they just released one or two albums since Dirty Work of just good material. The very few good songs to come out of the last 25 years are marred by very mediocre albums.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:26

RollingFreak
Surprisingly an amazing late track from them that I just discovered within the last 5 months. They were clearly capable of writing great songs if they really tried (even though they were all separate outputs at this point and this is very clearly just a Mick Jagger track) so at times I wish they just released one or two albums since Dirty Work of just good material. The very few good songs to come out of the last 25 years are marred by very mediocre albums.

Keith said in an interview that he wrote it with Mick. - Mick wrote the lyrics. Keef wrote the music.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:38

One of those tracks that kicked serious ass live. It should have been played regularly since it came out, but sadly it hasnt. Really never cared for the studio version that much.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:43

BowieStone
Starts off the greatest 15 minutes of the album: Out of Control - Saint of Me - Might as well get juiced.
Great track.
Always loved it when they did it live.

thumbs up

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:47

Good but by no means a classic, the studio version of Out of Control is nevertheless one of the better tracks on BTB. As everyone knows it worked much better live. In the studio version, the dark, atmospheric mood of the verses is quite captivating, but the production on the choruses seems a little heavy-handed, IMO. Interesting how this song is one of two from BTB that seems to be making a statement about alcohol.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 04:20 by drewmaster.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:54

seitan
RollingFreak

Keith said in an interview that he wrote it with Mick. - Mick wrote the lyrics. Keef wrote the music.
Hmm. Very interesting to hear. It sounded nothing like Keith to me so I just assumed it was all Mick. I'm actually glad to hear it wasn't just that way. Just reinforces my point, I'd wish they'd work less frequently, and write together as opposed to separately, and create some excellent new music.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:56

out of control is a classic,got everything the track needs what are guys looking for in stones music,one the best track and played brillianty live

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 9, 2013 13:36

It's one of the best songs they've written in the last 20 years. It's got a great tension to it and you know that from that low key build up that something is going to spill over and explode which it does with that great guitar solo. Kind of a sister (brother?) song to One Hit To The Body.

Date: September 9, 2013 14:24

Great, great live song. Surprisingly mediocre on record, imo.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 9, 2013 14:26

Really wish they would play this more live. I've seen the band really lock in the groove several times on this one in concert. Some really nice guitar weaving & Charlie beats them up. What more do you want? IMO way superior to say, Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 9, 2013 14:48

seitan

This would surprise me.
This has all the ingredients of a Jagger track.
He even plays guitar, mostly that's on his own songs.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 9, 2013 14:57

Love Ronnie's playing on this version

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 9, 2013 15:05

The odd thing is that whenever I listen to Bridges to Babylon, I listen to it straight through, as I feel it to be a greatly underrated, good Stones album. I like Out of Control, both on Bridges and on No Security.

Date: September 9, 2013 15:09

A highlight on the first show of the tour!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 9, 2013 15:09

The highlight of the late '90s tours, IMHO. Love Keith's "brown sound" on that little Gibson.

I dig the album version but it fades out just as it starts getting good. Is it me or do the live versions from the Bang and 50 tours not stretch out as long as on Bridges/No Security?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 9, 2013 16:03

Great song live.

On No Security, after the singing stops and they go into that groove, Keith's guitar is just howling.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 9, 2013 16:48

RollingFreak
seitan
Mick wrote the lyrics. Keef wrote the music.
I'd wish they'd (...) write together as opposed to separately

...Nobody said they wrote it together (simultaneously, while being in the same room)... They just each took their part in it.

Or am I missing your point, here?

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 16:51

i think its always worked better live

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 9, 2013 17:05

I've always (kind of) liked the 8-minute long remix version that highlights Jagger's vocal performance...

JuanTCB
I dig the album version but it fades out just as it starts getting good. Is it me or do the live versions from the Bang and 50 tours not stretch out as long as on Bridges/No Security?

There's a full length version available as an alternate mix on a CD single, known as "Danny Saber's Final Mix" : [www.discogs.com]

There was also a full-length demo version available on a bootleg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 17:15 by kowalski.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 9, 2013 17:46

DandelionPowderman
Great, great live song. Surprisingly mediocre on record, imo.

Yeah, I always remembered it as great live, but I went back to listen to B2B for the first time in forever and was kind of underwelmed by it. Saint of Me is much better on there, I think.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 9, 2013 18:02

Yeah, I really liked this from the late 90s. It turned into a really jazzy song, which, face it, is Darryl's better place.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 9, 2013 18:40

BowieStone
seitan

This would surprise me.
This has all the ingredients of a Jagger track.
He even plays guitar, mostly that's on his own songs.

I had written a lot of songs coming into this project that I'd already done. I'd written them and they were all finished and completed. I didn't really necessarily know we were going to do a Stones record at that point... (I wrote) Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint of Me... Gunface, Out of Control, Might As Well Get Juiced.
- Mick Jagger, 1997

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2013 18:41

Godxofxrock9
i think its always worked better live

I agree...very rare in the Stones catalogue in that regard.

Midnight Rambler is the only other tune that immediately comes to mind.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 18:54

Silver Dagger
It's one of the best songs they've written in the last 20 years. It's got a great tension to it and you know that from that low key build up that something is going to spill over and explode which it does with that great guitar solo. Kind of a sister (brother?) song to One Hit To The Body.

Agreed, great track, and better live than on record. The lyric always seemed to me not be to about alcohol but about Jaggers' sex addiction. Dark atmosphere and some great build up.

The album itself I think is the best post 1981 album, just love it. It has that groove, the dark menace, and to quote a memorable review of 'Anybody seen..' - it has that sensual slinky sound.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: September 9, 2013 19:24

tomcasagranda
The odd thing is that whenever I listen to Bridges to Babylon, I listen to it straight through, as I feel it to be a greatly underrated, good Stones album. I like Out of Control, both on Bridges and on No Security.

Love the track and love the album. I hated Anybody Seen My Baby when it first came out but quite enjoy it now.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2013 19:36

Shantipole
tomcasagranda

Love the track and love the album. I hated Anybody Seen My Baby when it first came out but quite enjoy it now.

Anybody Seen Your Taste?

sorry, had to.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 20:55

Love that song. I do prefer the live version though! I think that the trumpet really adds to the song.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home