Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones RRHOF "Music Masters" concert - Cleveland, October 26
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 5, 2013 18:33

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Case Western Reserve University will honor 1989 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, the Rolling Stones, during the 18th Annual Music Masters series It’s Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It): The Music of The Rolling Stones beginning Monday, October 21 through Saturday, October 26, 2013 in Cleveland. This year, the series will be renamed the Annual Music Masters to reflect the historical evolution and expansion of the rock and roll story. The series is sponsored by ELS Surround.

The tribute concert on October 26 will be anchored by a group of top flight musicians who have performed with the Rolling Stones over their 50 year career and contributed to shaping the band’s extraordinary sound. Grammy Award-winning drummer Steve Jordan will lead the house band as musical director. Jordan has assembled a group of critically-acclaimed musicians, including Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Ian McLagan, Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler, Bobby Keys, Steve Madaio, Ivan Neville, Waddy Wachtel and Willie Weeks to perform. Additional artists will be announced in the coming weeks, along with a schedule of events.

"We are very excited to expand the stories we tell in the Music Masters program,” said Lauren Onkey, vice president of education for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “Rock and roll caught fire around the world, and we want to reflect that in this program. The Rolling Stones were inspired by so many great American artists in creating their own original brand of rock and roll – it's an incredible story. We have an outstanding band to showcase the music of the Stones."

“The Museum is proud to honor the Rolling Stones during their 50th anniversary year,” said Greg Harris, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “In addition to our blockbuster exhibit, which has attracted hundreds of thousands of visitors from around the world, we will take this opportunity to dig deeper into the story of this groundbreaking band that challenged and changed the face of rock and roll.”

The 18th annual series begins on Monday, October 21, and will feature interviews, panels, films and educational programs throughout the week, including a keynote lecture at Case Western Reserve University. On Saturday, October 26, a conference will be held at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the Rolling Stones’ impact on popular music. The tribute concert will also be held Saturday, October 26, at 7:30 p.m. at PlayhouseSquare’s State Theatre in Cleveland.

The Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction exhibition opened in May 2013 and celebrates the Rolling Stones’ incredible contribution to popular music. Through the use of artifacts, film, text and interactive technology, generations of music fans from around the world have the opportunity to get up close and personal with rare items from nearly every aspect of the Stones’ extraordinary career. The Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction is slated to run until March 2014.

Tickets to the October 26 Rolling Stones tribute concert range from $30 - $80. Tickets go on sale to Rock Hall members on Monday, September 16 at 10 a.m. via online sale only at www.playhousesquare.org. Tickets to the public go on sale Wednesday, September 18 at 11 a.m. Public tickets are available at www.playhousesquare.org, by calling (216) 241-6000 and at the PlayhouseSquare ticket office. A limited number of VIP packages are also available beginning at $250 by contacting the Rock Hall’s development office at (216) 515-1201 or development@rockhall.org.

Meet the 18th Annual Music Masters Tribute Concert House Band

Lisa Fischer, vocals

Grammy Award–winning singer Lisa Fischer has toured with the Rolling Stones since 1989 and has performed with Tina Turner, Luther Vandross, Sting and Chaka Khan. She was recently featured in the film Twenty Feet From Stardom.

Bernard Fowler, vocals

Like Fisher, Bernard Fowler has performed with the Rolling Stones on every tour since 1989. He has also been a featured guest vocalist on many solo albums released by the members of the band, including Mick Jagger’s first solo album, She’s The Boss.

Steve Jordan, drums

Steve Jordan, leading sideman, session player, acclaimed composer, musical director and drummer, has worked alongside Eric Clapton, Aretha Franklin, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars and many others. He appeared on the Rolling Stones album Dirty Work and is a member of Keith Richards’ band the X-Pensive Winos.

Bobby Keys, saxophone

Top touring and session sax man for Elvis Presley, Joe Cocker, B.B. King and others, Bobby Keys has been recording and touring with the Rolling Stones since 1970, appearing on Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St., Goats Head Soup, Emotional Rescue and several live albums.

Trevor Lawrence, saxophone

Saxophonist and producer Trevor Lawrence performed with the Rolling Stones in 1973 and 1975. He has recorded with many legends over the course of his career, including Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Bonnie Raitt, and B.B. King.

Steve Madaio, trumpet

Most frequently heard performing with Stevie Wonder, trumpeter Steve Madaio was featured on the Rolling Stones' 1973 European tour. Madaio's skills have been showcased on stage or in the studio alongside Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees John Lennon, Etta James, James Taylor, B.B. King and Donna Summer among countless others.

Ian McLagan, keyboards

Ian McLagan is a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee as a member of the Small Faces/Faces. He has worked with a wide range of legendary artists and has performed with his Bump Band since 1979. McLagan played on the Rolling Stone’s Some Girls album and toured with the group in 1978, 1981 and 1982.

Ivan Neville, keyboards

Keyboardist Ivan Neville played on the Rolling Stones' Dirty Work and Voodoo Lounge albums and is a member of Keith Richards’ band the X-Pensive Winos. He leads the funk band Dumpstaphunk and is the son of renowned New Orleans vocalist Aaron Neville.

Waddy Wachtel, guitar

Guitarist and composer Robert “Waddy” Wachtel has recorded or performed with dozens of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees including Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Carole King, Stevie Nicks, James Taylor, Iggy Pop, and Jackson Browne. He is a member of Keith Richards’ band the X-Pensive Winos and played on the Rolling Stones’ Bridges To Babylon album.

Willie Weeks, bass

In-demand session bass guitarist Willie Weeks has recorded and toured with Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees such as Eric Clapton and George Harrison among many others. He played bass on “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It)” by the Rolling Stones.

[rockhall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-05 20:54 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Stones RRHOF "Music Masters" concert - Cleveland, October 26
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 5, 2013 18:45

Everyone except the Stones themselves. eye rolling smiley

Date: September 5, 2013 18:48

Crackin' house band, but no Stones expected. :-(

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame taps the Rolling Stones as first non-American Music Masters honoree

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer
September 05, 2013

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Rolling Stones have forced a lot of changes in their half-century of making rock 'n' roll. And now, there’s one more:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum has renamed its American Music Masters award, dubbing it simply the Annual Music Masters. That's because the 18th recipient is the seminal British band, which will be honored in a weeklong celebration in October, culminating in an all-star concert.

“We started out focusing on the early influences inductees – Jimmie Rodgers, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams,’’ said Lauren Onkey, the museum’s vice president of education and public programs and the woman who oversees the award. “What it means to move on historically is, you’ve got to break the borders of America if you really want to trace the history of rock 'n' roll.’’

It’s also the first time that the award has celebrated an entire band rather than a single individual, other than the collaboration that was Fats Domino and musical partner Dave Bartholomew.

“It’s Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It): The Music of the Rolling Stones’’ begins Monday, Oct. 21, and is capped by a concert at PlayhouseSquare’s State Theatre at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26.

Unfortunately, the Stones themselves – Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, who are on a worldwide 50th-anniversary tour -- will not be at the show, Onkey said.

“Given their incredibly busy schedule, they will not be able to attend the program,’’ Onkey confirmed. “But they’re fully aware of it.’’

That doesn’t mean the Stones won’t be represented musically, though. Not by a long shot. In addition to the lectures, films, conferences and such that typically are part of the week's calendar of events, many of those in what a pleased Onkey called “the house band’’ for the Saturday night concert have connections with the Stones.

Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Bobby Keys are longtime participants in Stones’ tours. They, plus Hall of Famer Ian McLagan of the Faces, Steve Madaio, Ivan Neville, Waddy Wachtel and Willie Weeks will be under the direction of Grammy-winning drummer and musical director Steve Jordan. All have connections to the Stones.

Jordan was a member of and a songwriter and co-producer for Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards’ side project, Keith Richards and the X-pensive Winos. Jordan also toured with Eric Clapton and was part of the John Mayer Trio.

“One of the things when you look at this band, too, is it makes you think about the range of recording that the Stones have done over the years,’’ Onkey said.

“The thing about the Stones is that they’ve been influenced by people previously honored in this program, like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and Fats Domino,’’ she said.

The idea of honoring the Stones created a buzz within the confines of the Rock Hall as soon as it was proposed, said Onkey, who noted that current President and CEO Greg Harris considers himself a huge fan.

“The museum is proud to be honoring the Rolling Stones during their 50th anniversary year,’’ Harris said in the Rock Hall’s prepared release. “In addition to our blockbuster exhibit, which has attracted hundreds of thousands of visitors from around the world, we will take this opportunity to dig deeper into the story of this groundbreaking band that challenged and changed the face of rock and roll.’’

Onkey said she is and remains intrigued by the idea of “how they created the idea of a rock 'n' roll band, and they’ve never strayed from that idea. Having such a great band to do it is what I’m excited about as we go about selecting songs.’’

Ah, song selection. That’s just one of the happy “problems’’ facing Rock Hall organizers and Jordan. The Stones have such a vast catalog that traces the evolution of rock, almost from the Bill Haley & the Comets sound of the late 1950s to the British Invasion, to country, blues and rockabilly, to the driving sounds of today.

“We have to pick the songs everyone wants to hear but still provide a range over the course of the night, making sure we hit a lot of different eras that tell the story and its complexity,’’ Onkey said.

The exhibit Harris referenced, “50 Years of Satisfaction,’’ opened early this summer and runs through March 2014.

[www.cleveland.com]

Date: September 5, 2013 23:52

Some line up!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2013 00:23

Unfortunately, the Stones themselves – Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, who are on a worldwide 50th-anniversary tour -- will not be at the show, Onkey said.

“Given their incredibly busy schedule, they will not be able to attend the program,’’ Onkey confirmed. “But they’re fully aware of it.’’

Ok, who wants to volunteer to be the one to break the news to him?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: September 6, 2013 02:36

Gazza

Yeah, thought the same thing myself. Also, only one guitarist listed. Waddy's more than capable of playing any two Stones parts, but I'd be willing to bet there will be a 2nd guitar player. Let the Taylor speculation begin...

Date: September 6, 2013 03:21

Bobby Keys, saxophone

Top touring and session sax man for Elvis Presley, Joe Cocker, B.B. King and others,

Huh?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2013 03:53

Gazza

Yeah it's too bad they picked that week to honour them, when they're already scheduled to do their tour of Ireland! What dumb luck!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 6, 2013 05:21

Gazza
Bobby Keys, saxophone

Top touring and session sax man for Elvis Presley, Joe Cocker, B.B. King and others,

Huh?

That's Bobby on "Return To Sender", depending on who you believe. Session logs say Boots Randolph.

Date: September 6, 2013 05:50

Bobby wrote about the Elvis session in his book Every Night's A Saturday Night, and talked about it in this interview promoting it:

In the spring of 1962, while in Los Angeles with Knox, Keys got a call from an old Lubbock friend, Glen D. Hardin, telling him a sax player had canceled at the last minute and asking if he could fill in at a session that was about to start. Keys hauled his baritone sax down to the studio and got ready to play.

"I was already in the studio when Elvis arrived," he said. "There was definitely a change in the atmosphere when the door opened up in the control room and he walked in. I didn't know the session was for Elvis. I was very surprised. It scared the hell out of me. I hadn't been playing that long. But the part (on "Return to Sender" ) wasn't difficult. It's still one of the coolest things I've ever done."

[journalstar.com]

But as noted above, his claim has been dismissed by others, so maybe Bobby "misremembered".

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 6, 2013 17:36

Gazza
Bobby Keys, saxophone

Huh?

Once it starts listing you'll never right this ship...hey Bobby says so in his book, so it's gotta be true right? ....er, right?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:27

no Wyman in the pic? not right.

Date: September 8, 2013 02:12

Munichhilton
Gazza
Bobby Keys, saxophone

Huh?

Once it starts listing you'll never right this ship...hey Bobby says so in his book, so it's gotta be true right? ....er, right?

Making up non existent stories involving your heroes must be a trait of musicians born on that date, as we've seen from Keith's 'Muddy Waters painting the ceiling' nonsense. There's no sessionography that I'm aware of that lists Bobby Keys ever playing with Elvis. When did he claim they worked together?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 8, 2013 02:16

Bobby claims he played on Return To Sender.

Date: September 8, 2013 02:20

BowieStone

Thanks.

Played on an Elvis session in Hollywood when he was 18 (27th March 1962)?

His arse, he did. It's Boots Randolph, who was Elvis' sax player of choice throughout that era.

I was gonna buy that book, too. If thats an example of the make believe nonsense passed off as fact in it, I think I'll give it a miss!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 02:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2013 02:25

Gazza
BowieStone

Thanks.

Played on an Elvis session in Hollywood when he was 18 (27th March 1962)?

His arse, he did. It's Boots Randolph, who was Elvis' sax player of choice throughout that era.

I was gonna buy that book, too. If thats an example of the make believe nonsense passed off as fact in it, I think I'll give it a miss!

But it is Bobby on Dion's The Wanderer, no? I wonder if him playing with Buddy Holly has any factual truth to it, ha-ha!

Date: September 8, 2013 02:48

As I understand it, he played in Buddy Knox's band when they were on tour with Holly. I dont think Holly would have had a sax player in his band, surely? Holly of course died when Keys was only 15. Played WITH him? Quite possibly as theyre from the same area. Played in his band? I doubt it.

Just stumbled across an earlier thread on here on Bobby's dubious session credits

[www.iorr.org]

I'm pretty sure its not him on 'The Wanderer', to be honest. According to this story, it's Buddy Lucas. [www.rockabilly.nl]

Pretty poor form to write an autobiography inventing stories about playing on legendary sessions when it was actually two other great musicians who are now dead and cant dispute his nonsensical claims.

This is getting a bit ridiculous - I'm expecting to read next that Bobby claims its him doing that sax solo on 'Born to Run'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 02:50 by Gazza.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2013 02:55

Hmm, well what exactly are Bobby's verified pre-Rolling Stones credits? I understand he was part of Bobby Vee's backup, but is he featured on his records? Obviously, it isn't just a birthday he shares with Keith: it's his tall-tales, too!

Date: September 8, 2013 02:57

Bobby's comments about that 1962 Presley session are posted above.

Date: September 8, 2013 03:02

Thanks. Very odd. Ernst Jorgensen's 'Complete Recording Sessions' book (which is seen as pretty definitive) lists it as Boots Randolph for the entire 'Girls Girls Girls' soundtrack session (Glenn D Hardin - later Elvis' pianist in the 70s - isnt listed as playing on the session either, but Dudley Brooks is). Randolph is on record as saying he played baritone sax on 'Return to sender'.

Some more pieces here :

[www.elvisblog.net]

[www.elvis-collectors.com]

[www.bootsrandolph.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 03:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2013 18:53

Big Al
Hmm, well what exactly are Bobby's verified pre-Rolling Stones credits? I understand he was part of Bobby Vee's backup, but is he featured on his records? Obviously, it isn't just a birthday he shares with Keith: it's his tall-tales, too!

Maybe the birthday thing is a lie as well, just to get in good with Keith.

Has anyone ever verified the birth certificate?

Maybe he's been blowing smoke longer than sax?! eye popping smiley

Date: September 16, 2013 20:17

Pre-sale for RRHOF members started today, September 16.

General on sale is Wednesday, Sept 18.

[www.playhousesquare.org]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 16, 2013 22:46

treaclefingers
Gazza

Yeah it's too bad they picked that week to honour them, when they're already scheduled to do their tour of Ireland! What dumb luck!

No treaclefingers,
they were meant to play the Ziggodome Amsterdam. Sorry.
Jeroen

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: September 18, 2013 17:00

So Waddy is playing one of the guitars. Who is playing the other one? Or will we have an honor gig for the Stones with just ONE guitar?

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: September 18, 2013 18:00

For a hall of fame they sure are missing some facts in that announcement. I still would like to hear that band though. Well maybe not the background singers. I have never cared for them and never though the Stones needed them . Actually I think when they brought them on board it fueled the fire that they were turning into a Vegas stage act. But that's a different rant.smiling smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 18, 2013 21:47

varilla
So Waddy is playing one of the guitars. Who is playing the other one? Or will we have an honor gig for the Stones with just ONE guitar?

They try do be less guitar band and more "big band" than stones.

Anybody know, if it will streamed / on video?

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: September 18, 2013 22:05

As long as the organisers don't forget that Brian, Bill & Mick T were a big part of the Stones success, then it'll be a good event.

Date: September 19, 2013 01:14

varilla

Maybe they'll just be re-creating the sound on much of the the Bridges to Babylon and No Security tours?

Date: September 20, 2013 01:24

Initial ticket sales for this show seem to be less than brisk. Perhaps that will expedite the announcement of the "additional artists".

Date: September 21, 2013 01:44

This is quite an honor, yet the Stones (themselves) are too busy to attend?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home