Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 56
Re: Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live : DVD & BluRay due Nov. 11
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 30, 2013 17:59

yeah, if he knows it so well, why does he need a Teleprompter...............

hahahahahahaha

at least, keef remembers his songs !!!!

Jeroen

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 30, 2013 18:02

Not the songs! He knows about those same setlists- so he works on the package . .

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:22

CousinC
paulywaul

Hmm, the song-list seems to bear a "striking resemblance" to those on the Four Flicks and Biggest Bang DVDs ............. I'll still probably end up buying it though. Mainly because I was actually THERE, not for the contents per se. Christ, how many versions of those same tunes can one watch/listen to ?

Yeah, that's more and more the problem. I really wondered why they didn't more changes to their setlists for those H. Park shows.

For the same reason they wore the same clothes both nights (and Zeppelin did the same at Knebworth '79)--so that they can pick the best performances from each show for the DVD.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:46

Aquamarine

For the same reason they wore the same clothes both nights (and Zeppelin did the same at Knebworth '79)--so that they can pick the best performances from each show for the DVD.

Crafty old buggers. grinning smiley

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 30, 2013 21:42

To celebrate the imminent release of The Rolling Stones' Sweet Summer Sun – Hyde Park Live concert film on DVD and Blu-Ray, we've teamed up with Eagle Rock to give away a pair of tickets to attend an exclusive advance screening at the Electric Cinema in West London at 8.30pm on Thursday, October 10.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: September 30, 2013 23:41

Come on, this has to get a wider theatrical release in uk.

I wanna go to my local multiplex n shake me booty!

\m/

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 30, 2013 23:42

Same here.thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2013 23:56

Aquamarine
CousinC
paulywaul

Hmm, the song-list seems to bear a "striking resemblance" to those on the Four Flicks and Biggest Bang DVDs ............. I'll still probably end up buying it though. Mainly because I was actually THERE, not for the contents per se. Christ, how many versions of those same tunes can one watch/listen to ?

Yeah, that's more and more the problem. I really wondered why they didn't more changes to their setlists for those H. Park shows.

Amazing foresight on Zeppelin's part - wearing the same clothes for the release of a show almost three decades later on a medium that hadnt even been invented at the time! Even filming shows for home video release was pretty much unheard of in 1979. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 1, 2013 01:20

I am hoping that they used film cameras and then convert the film to HD. There is true magic to the "film look."

I am supposing that my hopes are in vain and everything was shot with HD cameras. But were they 1920 HD cameras or 4K HD cameras I wonder?

Date: October 1, 2013 02:44

Gazza
Aquamarine
CousinC
paulywaul

Amazing foresight on Zeppelin's part - wearing the same clothes for the release of a show almost three decades later on a medium that hadnt even been invented at the time! Even filming shows for home video release was pretty much unheard of in 1979. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

OK, not DVD in their case. Doesn't alter the fact that they filmed and (eventually) released it, and that that's why they wore the same clothes for both shows.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 03:01

Aquamarine
Gazza
Aquamarine
CousinC
paulywaul

OK, not DVD in their case. Doesn't alter the fact that they filmed and (eventually) released it, and that that's why they wore the same clothes for both shows.
Although they only used footage from the first night, so they need not have bothered!

Lee

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 03:05

Toru A
lmatth8461
Toru A
From October 26, Sweet Summer Sun will be screened in major cities in Japan.
We can't rewind, stop, pause and play but Stones on a big screen will just be fantastic.
And 2000 yen ticket to a movie theater is reasonable.smiling smiley

Hi Toru,

Do you have any links with info about the screenings?
My (Japanese) sister-in-law is a huge Stones fan, I'm sure she'll be interested in seeing this. She is with her family in Osaka now, but will probably be back in Tokyo by late October.

Also thanks for all the info regarding the Japanese releases. All these different versions is starting to get a bit confusing!

Cheers,
Lee

lmatth8461,

Two theaters in Osaka are in the list. Please see below.
Lists of Theaters

Hope your sister will enjoy.smiling smiley

Thanks for the info, Toru...seems like she's already returned to Tokyo, so I'm sure she will find something there.

Lee

Date: October 1, 2013 03:11

lmatth8461
Aquamarine
Gazza
Aquamarine
CousinC
paulywaul

Although they only used footage from the first night, so they need not have bothered!

Lee

Well, that's true! grinning smiley

And in other news, the US Amazon still isn't any more forthcoming about the various packages. I'm guessing the $41.99 package is the vinyl, but it doesn't say that, nor does it give any details about any of them. "5 discs" for the deluxe but no mention of a book, for example. How come there are all these details about the Japanese and European releases, and next to nothing here? I'm sure all will be revealed eventually, but it's very irritating. angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 03:16 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 1, 2013 03:18

lmatth8461
Toru A
lmatth8461
Toru A
From October 26, Sweet Summer Sun will be screened in major cities in Japan.
We can't rewind, stop, pause and play but Stones on a big screen will just be fantastic.
And 2000 yen ticket to a movie theater is reasonable.smiling smiley

Hi Toru,

Do you have any links with info about the screenings?
My (Japanese) sister-in-law is a huge Stones fan, I'm sure she'll be interested in seeing this. She is with her family in Osaka now, but will probably be back in Tokyo by late October.

Also thanks for all the info regarding the Japanese releases. All these different versions is starting to get a bit confusing!

Cheers,
Lee

lmatth8461,

Two theaters in Osaka are in the list. Please see below.
Lists of Theaters

Hope your sister will enjoy.smiling smiley

Thanks for the info, Toru...seems like she's already returned to Tokyo, so I'm sure she will find something there.

Lee
lmatth8461,

OK. Please forward info below.

Kadokawa Cinema Shinjuku
3, 13, 3 Shinjuku Tokyo
Phone 03-5361-7878

[www.kadokawa-cinema.jp]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:13

Aquamarine
CousinC
paulywaul

This is not new in Stonesland either.They did it before like for At the Max.

But it's still no answer to why they didn't choose some bit more adventurous setlist for their return to the Park knowing it'll be filmed again.

Date: October 1, 2013 15:21

I thought you meant why they didn't change up the setlist more between shows.

I suppose they could have chosen a more adventurous setlist, but that's not what most people wanted to hear, frankly.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:27

paulywaul

. ,,,Christ, how many versions of those same tunes can one watch/listen to ?

As many as they've got winking smiley

I really enjoy hearing the different little twists they give to the old "warhorses" from one tour to the next.

Sometimes it's just a subtly diiferent riff here, or a diifferent emphasis and timing there...but it's fun to listen to.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 1, 2013 17:40

MileHigh
I am hoping that they used film cameras and then convert the film to HD. There is true magic to the "film look."

I am supposing that my hopes are in vain and everything was shot with HD cameras. But were they 1920 HD cameras or 4K HD cameras I wonder?

There are 5K REDs that shoot in 24fps, they are quite cinematic. I don't think they'd bother with actual film for budgetary and practical reasons,any more than a recording studio would bother to use multitrack tape.

Date: October 1, 2013 18:05

Aquamarine

And in other news, the US Amazon still isn't any more forthcoming about the various packages. I'm guessing the $41.99 package is the vinyl

And now this particular package has disappeared again . . I refuse to pre-order anything without knowing what I'm ordering!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 1, 2013 18:07

Spud
I really enjoy hearing the different little twists they give to the old "warhorses" from one tour to the next.
Sometimes it's just a subtly diiferent riff here, or a diifferent emphasis and timing there...but it's fun to listen to.

Yes, I love that

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 19:16

Hey guys, new poster here although i've been watching on for a few years :0).

One thing that strikes me about the number of posters wanting this and that show on DVD cos of the special guests, is surely the fact that those guests were on stage and if appearing on the DVD, Mick would have to give them some kind of cut would he not? And that goes against the grain with him hence we're left with what we've got - a cut back HP show.
No doubt someone will tell me otherwise winking smiley

Keep on Rolling.

Date: October 1, 2013 21:15

Hi there and welcome.

The Hyde Park shows werent full of special guests.

The release is actually the equivalent of a full length gig taken from two shows. If you happen to live in Japan. The fact that its cut for other markets is just the Stones and their organisation being a bunch of dicks, delivering poor value for money.

I'd imagine there's some kind of contractual agreement with guests regarding use of their performances on official releases, but I doubt it would be a significant enough dent in royalties to be a factor. There were several guest appearances featured on both the Four Flicks and Biggest Bang DVD releases, after all.

At one point it did appear that a 'duets' release was likely (mostly because a lot of the duet songs were one off performances and a high % of them were on UMG). Thankfully that didnt materialise. It would have been a hideous release. Maybe the fact that several of the duets simply weren't performed very well plus the market for such a release would be minimal would have been an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 21:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 1, 2013 21:48

Gazza
The fact that its cut for other markets is just the Stones and their organisation being a bunch of dicks, delivering poor value for money.

You may be right but I will give them the benefit of the doubt in that there may be exclusive contracts that come into play here which is why the release is different for some countries. Based on my experience Japan often gets versions with bonus features not available in other regions. This practice is nothing new and many bands do it.

There might be reasons we can't see as well. A year or two ago Slash, of GnR fame, released a DVD/ Bluray of his new bands performance in Stoke and for some reason, song licensing issues I believe, the U.S. got a very edited version of the show while you could get the complete show version from Amazon U.K.

So there might be more here then meets the eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 22:11 by oldschool.

Date: October 1, 2013 23:08

oldschool

You may be right but I will give them the benefit of the doubt in that there may be exclusive contracts that come into play here which is why the release is different for some countries. Based on my experience Japan often gets versions with bonus features not available in other regions. This practice is nothing new and many bands do it.

I dont mind that. If Japan actually got bonus material. Which isnt unreasonable as they played about 22-23 different songs over the two nights.

Whats actually happened was that they pretty much got what should be the 'standard' version - ie the songs which appear on the audio recording. The rest of the world got an edited version of that. If anything it should be re-titled the 'substandard edition'.

Sixteen songs on a visual format over a multi disc release (especially using a format such as blu ray which has so much capacity) is a pretty shoddy piece of product no matter what way its dressed up.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 2, 2013 00:00

Gazza
oldschool

I dont mind that. If Japan actually got bonus material. Which isnt unreasonable as they played about 22-23 different songs over the two nights.

Whats actually happened was that they pretty much got what should be the 'standard' version - ie the songs which appear on the audio recording. The rest of the world got an edited version of that. If anything it should be re-titled the 'substandard edition'.

Sixteen songs on a visual format over a multi disc release (especially using a format such as blu ray which has so much capacity) is a pretty shoddy piece of product no matter what way its dressed up.

I think that's a great idea.

The title, "Substandard Summer Sun" has a nice ring to it.

It's got legs baby.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 2, 2013 01:45

Gazza
oldschool

And you're convinced it was the Stones plan to screw their fans? too what purpose? I still think there is a method to their madness but maybe I am being naive.

Date: October 2, 2013 02:13

oldschool
Gazza
oldschool

And you're convinced it was the Stones plan to screw their fans? too what purpose? I still think there is a method to their madness but maybe I am being naive.

because they can. Its hardly unprecedented, lets face it!

What's the 'method' in dropping three songs which were obviously considered good enough to be included on an audio release.

105 minutes of music (with an extra 15 minutes included in audio format only) spread across multiple formats on a deluxe release is poor value. Simple as that. Take a look around what other acts include on boxed sets and deluxe editions and the Stones generally give worse value for money than almost any of them (I exclude Biggest Bang and Four Flicks from that)

The Japanese version is the bare minimum of what every market should have got on a regular release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-02 02:15 by Gazza.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 2, 2013 03:07

Gazza
At one point it did appear that a 'duets' release was likely (mostly because a lot of the duet songs were one off performances and a high % of them were on UMG). Thankfully that didnt materialise. It would have been a hideous release.

I don't recall ever hearing or reading about anything of the sort except from one very certain troll that thought it would be a great idea.

Clearly the Stones didn't read/listen to 'im, as usual...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 2, 2013 03:22

This is all very amusing. We have the Hyde Park download, which was tepid at best. So....we need to see some 70-year-old guys play that tepid music on DVD?

Date: October 2, 2013 04:01

GasLightStreet
Gazza
At one point it did appear that a 'duets' release was likely (mostly because a lot of the duet songs were one off performances and a high % of them were on UMG). Thankfully that didnt materialise. It would have been a hideous release.

I don't recall ever hearing or reading about anything of the sort except from one very certain troll that thought it would be a great idea.

Clearly the Stones didn't read/listen to 'im, as usual...

My comment may have been taken wrongly (not surprisingly as I worded it badly!). It was nothing more than idle speculation and a lot of the dots (see above) seemed to be joining up in that direction. There was never any official suggestion that such a release was on the cards. I wouldnt be surprised if it was considered, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-02 04:01 by Gazza.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 56

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1643
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home