Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 56
Re: Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live : DVD & BluRay due Nov. 11
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:57

please edit the threads so we don´t have to scroll down all the quoted messages...

and YES Kiss alive was overdubbed, either some of their studio tracks weren´t even played by them...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 21, 2013 12:47

Aquamarine
Because they don't have to top it? Because as long as they still enjoy making music and people still enjoy hearing them do it, it's always going to be worth it for all involved? Because making mistakes in live performances is part of what makes those performances so unpredictable and exciting and, y'know, live, because no band ever played a perfect show? Because 70 isn't as old anymore as you think it is? Because I still want to hear No Expectations?

All of the above. They have been living with people wanting them to top Exile (or stop working because they can't top Exile) for the past forty years and it hasn't stopped them making some wonderful music and some great tours.

Posted by: filoca ()
Date: September 21, 2013 13:27

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 21, 2013 15:11

Thats some price.

Is that the Japanese version with all the material that isnt on the other releases?

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: September 21, 2013 16:04

Gazza
Thats some price.

Is that the Japanese version with all the material that isnt on the other releases?

Seems it's European Deluxe...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 21, 2013 16:36

Adams
Gazza
Thats some price.

Seems it's European Deluxe...

What I find interesting is the variety of prices and of shipping within the world of amazon. The countries that tend to have lower prices tend to have higher shipping.

This does seem to be the lowest list price I've seen, and drops to under 20 euros when I go through to put the order in, but shipping is a whopping 14 euros to Canada, compared with 9 for Germany and 4 GBP for the UK.

For some reason this still hasn't even been listed on Amazon.com or .ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-21 20:45 by treaclefingers.

Date: September 21, 2013 20:13

Aquamarine
Because they don't have to top it? Because as long as they still enjoy making music and people still enjoy hearing them do it, it's always going to be worth it for all involved? Because making mistakes in live performances is part of what makes those performances so unpredictable and exciting and, y'know, live, because no band ever played a perfect show? Because 70 isn't as old anymore as you think it is? Because I still want to hear No Expectations?

I hear ya. Mistakes are fine, just don't edit them out is all I am asking. A little overdubbing here and there I can live with, but the Hyde Park SMU intro dub to me crossed the line. They should be embarrassed for even attempting something so obvious. Hopefully, they will re-consider and put one(of the two) that were actually played on the DVD and CD coming out in November.

I hope they go on forever, but only if they would build future shows around new music. I have no interest in watching them repeat themselves beyond '50 and Counting.

I won't be buying the Sweet Summer Sun DVD if it includes the overdub to SMU. I bought the I-Tunes version and was extremely disappointed. To me SMU sounded a lot like the live version from the Live At The Max DVD.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 22, 2013 00:48

JumpinJackOLantern
I hope they go on forever, but only if they would build future shows around new music. I have no interest in watching them repeat themselves beyond '50 and Counting.

I agree completely. In alot of ways this past tour was overshadowed by Licks, for me. On Licks they did three different types of shows (stadium, arena and theaters/clubs) and had a great bit of setlist variation. This recent tour had some highlights (Mick Taylor) but also felt like the most impersonal tour they have ever done.

JumpinJackOLantern
I won't be buying the Sweet Summer Sun DVD if it includes the overdub to SMU. I bought the I-Tunes version and was extremely disappointed. To me SMU sounded a lot like the live version from the Live At The Max DVD.

This is where I disagree with you... I am fine with them fixing the intro. To me it is very different from something like the butchering of Rocks Off from 40 Licks. In the same vein I am actually ok with Mick re-recording the first verse and chorus of 2000 Light Years from Glastonbury if thats what it takes for an official release. I agree with you that live performances should be live, but I am also ok with a few fixes here n there for them to feel they are putting out a solid product.

As a comparison, I was very disappointed to learn that all of Chuck Berry's vocals on Hail Hail Rock 'n Roll were overdubbed. All of them. He played a stupid gig the night before and blew his voice out. The money-hungry jackass ruined HIS performance, and had to re-record everything in the studio. I would rather hear the original terrible vocals since, to quote Chuck, "thats the way Chuck Berry played it!"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 22, 2013 11:06

There you go, saves you all buying it. Good old Tumblr!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 22, 2013 11:14

Very nice, thanks. Gonna buy it anyway though smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 22, 2013 12:14

Rolling Hansie
Very nice, thanks. Gonna buy it anyway though smiling smiley
Probably worth it (much like the last tour) just for Mick Taylor on "Midnight Rambler".smoking smiley

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 22, 2013 13:53

According to this link,the Australian bluray includes Emotional Rescue as a bonus track.[www.screenpop.com.au]

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:06

Hi.
The only difference is that Emotional Rescue is included on the Japanese DVD/Blue Ray?
The CD's is is the same?
In other words - You only thing need to buy from Japan is the DVD/BlueRay without the CD's and you can buy the rest in europe?

Per-Arne

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 22, 2013 14:36

JumpinJackOLantern

They will not go on forever, Time Waits For No One ...

So I'll enjoy all what they can do, still. And I'll be pleased with a little Sweet Summer Sun bringing some light and warmness into the upcoming gloom and doom during the wintertime.

I'm still dreaming and hoping, The Rolling Stones might surprise us with some new music, a new album and some more shows with new tracks or some "old" songs they've never played before. And I would like to see Mick Taylor playing again with them, not only on stage.

But I've no high-wrought expectations. Maybe some "real" fans will have, they created there surreal world by some own and neverending illusions, and they are frustrated by doing this, more and more.

I can't see no good reason, really, to go on with this childlike kind of heavy stones-bashing, celebrated by those frustrated fans.

So let's cool down,
please,
carpe diem!

Let's enjoy The Rolling Stones
with some real good feeling, still.

HighwireC

BTW:
Let's drink to the hard working people
Let's drink to the lowly of birth
Raise your glass to the good and the evil
Let's drink to the salt of the earth

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 22, 2013 15:15

Per-Arne

The only difference is that Emotional Rescue is included on the Japanese DVD/Blue Ray? The CD's is is the same?
In other words - You only thing need to buy from Japan is the DVD/BlueRay without the CD's and you can buy the rest in europe?

Yes - if you want 'Emotional Rescue' on DVD/Blu-ray you have to buy the japanese / australian Edition.

The 2CD / 3LP is in Europe the same with 19 Tracks.

The 60p-Book is definitely included in the european Deluxe-Edition (not sure about Japan/Australia).

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 22, 2013 15:39

The one difference between the Australian and Japanese editions is that Tumbling Dice appears to NOT be included on the Australian DVD/Bluray.

Date: September 22, 2013 19:37

HighwireC
JumpinJackOLantern

So I'll enjoy all what they can do, still. And I'll be pleased with a little Sweet Summer Sun bringing some light and warmness into the upcoming gloom and doom during the wintertime.

I'm still dreaming and hoping, The Rolling Stones might surprise us with some new music, a new album and some more shows with new tracks or some "old" songs they've never played before. And I would like to see Mick Taylor playing again with them, not only on stage.

But I've no high-wrought expectations. Maybe some "real" fans will have, they created there surreal world by some own and neverending illusions, and they are frustrated by doing this, more and more.

I can't see no good reason, really, to go on with this childlike kind of heavy stones-bashing, celebrated by those frustrated fans.

So let's cool down,
please,
carpe diem!

HighwireC

BTW:

I wish them (and their fans) well. The overdubbing of the intro to SMU at Hyde Park is shameful. A terrible decision. If they don't reverse that decision and restore the intro that was actually played on that evening then I shall remain a non fan, even if they do decide to record new music. That overdub is unforgivable, at least in my eyes.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2013 19:43

JumpinJackOLantern
HighwireC
JumpinJackOLantern

So let's cool down,
please,
carpe diem!

HighwireC

BTW:

I wish them (and their fans) well. The overdubbing of the intro to SMU at Hyde Park is shameful. A terrible decision. If they don't reverse that decision and restore the intro that was actually played on that evening then I shall remain a non fan, even if they do decide to record new music. That overdub is unforgivable, at least in my eyes.

What if the band sent you a dozen roses? Forgive and forget, no?

Date: September 22, 2013 19:51

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
HighwireC
JumpinJackOLantern

So let's cool down,
please,
carpe diem!

HighwireC

BTW:

What if the band sent you a dozen roses? Forgive and forget, no?

Remove that overdub and all will be forgotten!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 22, 2013 20:01

Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to get excited about buying a product that's redundant. Same songs, same musicians, just a little bit older? It's not like they're my close buddies I haven't seen in years and we're getting together to recreate the past. And there aren't any surprises or rarities to give it something unique. Maybe it's true, Europeans go to rock concerts for the event of it, and Americans actually listen.

Date: September 22, 2013 20:14

24FPS
Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to get excited about buying a product that's redundant. Same songs, same musicians, just a little bit older? It's not like they're my close buddies I haven't seen in years and we're getting together to recreate the past. And there aren't any surprises or rarities to give it something unique. Maybe it's true, Europeans go to rock concerts for the event of it, and Americans actually listen.

Overdub aside, this entire '50 and Counting Tour was truly historic for the simple fact that they were collectively roughly 70 years of age. I think it was great that they came back after being off for over five years. To do what they did was truly remarkable. But, they make a huge mistake with the overdub and show no signs of coming together to record new music. I have no problem with them documenting this tour, but I won't be buying the DVD because of that shameful overdub. Despite not being a fan at the moment (who knows the future?) I would be interested in a DVD of Glastonbury and the PPV concert from New Jersey.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 22, 2013 20:23

JumpinJackOLantern
24FPS

Overdub aside, this entire '50 and Counting Tour was truly historic for the simple fact that they were collectively roughly 70 years of age. I think it was great that they came back after being off for over five years. To do what they did was truly remarkable. But, they make a huge mistake with the overdub and show no signs of coming together to record new music. I have no problem with them documenting this tour, but I won't be buying the DVD because of that shameful overdub. Despite not being a fan at the moment (who knows the future?) I would be interested in a DVD of Glastonbury and the PPV concert from New Jersey.

I wouldn't let a second or two overdub keep me from buying an entire DVD. I will let Keith's severely limited abilities and the overall lack of novelty prevent me though. I've watched the PPV from New Jersey on YouTube and it's not exciting. Look, if some fans love the Oldies Stones, have a blast. But I don't want them to pretend like the current version is a great musical experience. 70-year-old men should play some more blues. Show the depth of your life. Don't shove Sympathy For The Devil down our throats every night.

I accept the 70-year-old Stones. I wish they would too.

Date: September 22, 2013 20:55

24FPS
JumpinJackOLantern
24FPS

I wouldn't let a second or two overdub keep me from buying an entire DVD. I will let Keith's severely limited abilities and the overall lack of novelty prevent me though. I've watched the PPV from New Jersey on YouTube and it's not exciting. Look, if some fans love the Oldies Stones, have a blast. But I don't want them to pretend like the current version is a great musical experience. 70-year-old men should play some more blues. Show the depth of your life. Don't shove Sympathy For The Devil down our throats every night.

I accept the 70-year-old Stones. I wish they would too.

They turned back the clock ten years at Glastonbury. That crowd brought the best out of them. They did what many greats do, they rose to the occasion. The significant overdub should be beneath them. I understand that overdubs are part of the music business, but this one crosses the line.

Yes, I would love to see them slow things down, do more blues, even country. Now, would be the perfect time to make that transition. I was OK with them doing what they did for their 50th anniversary year, but you are right, it's time for change.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 22, 2013 21:08

treaclefingers
gotdablouse
treaclefingers
proudmary
Gazza
His Majesty
It was really odd how he wonked up the intro in much the same way on both nights though. grinning smiley

Someone on this forum during the ABB tour, in response to criticisms of Keith's playing, actually suggested in all seriousness that what people were actually hearing were innovative, jazz-inspired progressions from someone who had ascended to a level beyond that of a virtuoso which were so advanced that mere fans and other lesser musicians couldnt comprehend them. And that those who merely thought it was a bit of clumsiness from an old man with arthritis whose head may have been a bit befuddled with alcohol and/or medication were full of shit.

The fact that he was able to play this intro exactly the same way at both Hyde Park shows is making me question whether or not the lone nutcase in question was actually wrong.

thumbs up I like your writing style,Gazza. As for me I jumped and screamed out of my head up to the fourth song so I totally missed that notorious intro in real time

Well, messing up the intro for such an iconic song on the first night, what can one say? Odd, but hey, he's old.

To do the same thing the second night, AFTER everyone came to him after the show with, "WTF was that!?" smacks either of "f-you all" from Keith or a slow descent into dementia.

I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose the second night, especially since he took a long hard and dark look at the crowd (towards the T1 section) before starting to play. Keith's older but he can still hold a grudge and I don't think he was too pleased with the reaction to the missed chord on the 6th due to the scarf/wind ;-)

OK then, so you think it was an "F-you all" from Keith. I don't doubt that either and it makes sense, certainly more sense than making the same mistake twice.

Based on what I saw right from the front with my own eyes, yes, there's no way he didn't do that on purpose at HP2!

So I still have that pre-order from the German jpc website for the Euro version, is that still the best deal?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 21:12 by gotdablouse.

Date: September 22, 2013 21:38

gotdablouse
treaclefingers
gotdablouse
treaclefingers
proudmary
Gazza
His Majesty
It was really odd how he wonked up the intro in much the same way on both nights though. grinning smiley

Someone on this forum during the ABB tour, in response to criticisms of Keith's playing, actually suggested in all seriousness that what people were actually hearing were innovative, jazz-inspired progressions from someone who had ascended to a level beyond that of a virtuoso which were so advanced that mere fans and other lesser musicians couldnt comprehend them. And that those who merely thought it was a bit of clumsiness from an old man with arthritis whose head may have been a bit befuddled with alcohol and/or medication were full of shit.

The fact that he was able to play this intro exactly the same way at both Hyde Park shows is making me question whether or not the lone nutcase in question was actually wrong.

thumbs up I like your writing style,Gazza. As for me I jumped and screamed out of my head up to the fourth song so I totally missed that notorious intro in real time

Well, messing up the intro for such an iconic song on the first night, what can one say? Odd, but hey, he's old.

To do the same thing the second night, AFTER everyone came to him after the show with, "WTF was that!?" smacks either of "f-you all" from Keith or a slow descent into dementia.

I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose the second night, especially since he took a long hard and dark look at the crowd (towards the T1 section) before starting to play. Keith's older but he can still hold a grudge and I don't think he was too pleased with the reaction to the missed chord on the 6th due to the scarf/wind ;-)

OK then, so you think it was an "F-you all" from Keith. I don't doubt that either and it makes sense, certainly more sense than making the same mistake twice.

Based on what I saw right from the front with my own eyes, yes, there's no way he didn't do that on purpose at HP2!

So I still have that pre-order from the German jpc website for the Euro version, is that still the best deal?

It sounded so bad that it was kind of cool! Bad Cool! Leave it in!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:49

JumpinJackOLantern
Despite not being a fan at the moment (who knows the future?)

Aha! You're starting to weaken!

Date: September 23, 2013 03:05

Aquamarine
JumpinJackOLantern
Despite not being a fan at the moment (who knows the future?)

Aha! You're starting to weaken!

I liken myself to Barney Fife! I wear my emotions on my sleeve. Who knows, maybe I cool off in a week or two? That overdub is a hard pill to swallow though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:59

It's not an overdub, right, it's a copy and paste. Everybody does it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 23, 2013 08:20

gotdablouse

The european Deluxe Edition (DVD + Blu-ray + 2CD + Book) costs 32.99 EUR on Amazon.de and 34.99 EUR at JPC. On Amazon.it it's still 24.10 EUR at the moment. Don't know the shipping costs abroad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 09:00 by Irix.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: September 23, 2013 13:46

Here is a little bit longer trailer:

[www.pinterest.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 56

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home