Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Ticket Prices
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 24, 2005 04:08

Here's a thought

Do you think that because of the outrageous ticket prices of the last 10-15 years, the Stones have in-part been releasing a live album/video/Pay Per View of every tour since '1989, so the fans that couldn't afford to see them in person still get a chance to enjoy the show?

I mean their live albums haven't been "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" quality, but I knew every time I saw them I hoped they would release a souvenier live album...kinda like the Voodoo Lounge video that they sold in '94 at the shows.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 24, 2005 04:34

no..they do it because it makes them more money. End of story

the outrageous ticket prices only began in 1998 with a few shows as a trial and as a matter of 'policy' from 1999. Anyone could realistically have afforded to see the Stones until that date.

they've released a live album from every world tour since 1975. And since the video (now DVD) boom started around the early 80's have done a film or home video from every tour.

I think the live albums have become pretty pointless and redundant now with the DVD era. To release what was an edited audio soundtrack of a DVD a year after "4 Flicks" was absolutely criminal. We already had the perfect souvenir of the last tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2005 05:08

I admit, I bought the Live Licks cd...pre-ordered as a matter of fact.
My pride and senses were insulted to say the least. I tossed it in the closet after one listening. That was just to sample the songs, and I only listened to a handful of them from start to finish, a sad attempt on my part to relive the tour. The boots that are circulating are a million times better, and after all...who wants edited leftovers from a tour that had long since ended at the time of their release?

Oh well...it's only rock'n'roll, but I like it.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: April 24, 2005 18:54

Ticket sales are almost invariably fixed
somewhere down the line and are one of the
biggest scams going.

For my money a reasonable general admission
floor ticket is best, one can jockey for
position depending upon how diehard/
interested one really is, and I
usually don't spend too much time
sitting down at a Stones concert
anyway! But I would suppose this
is unlikely..................

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 25, 2005 20:41

The Stones ticket prices will be ridiculous, and that's bad enough. But what really bunches my panties is the practice, (also pioneered by our "Boys") of making me pay months in advance of the show. This month McCartney sold tickets for shows in October. That's a six-month loan to Sir Paul at up to 250 US dollars a ticky. At an average ticket price of $125, and an interest rate of 5 percent, he (or somebody) earns close to $50,000 in interest per show. Good work if you can get it.

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 25, 2005 21:12

The Stones get what the market allows. Pure and simple. I have NO PROBLEM with that whatsoever. It happens in all industries - and everyone in sports and entertainment does it. When you are the best at what you do, you should charge top dollar. Anyone on this board who says they wouldn't do the same is a damned liar.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 25, 2005 21:32

My experience is that the more you pay for a show, the more boring the show will be, simply because only rich people who don't really care about the Stones will pay to be seen there. Excellent example is The Joint. Nice venue but as long as the target crowd is VIP's from LA & Hollywood then there isn't really much space for excitement. Red Carpet people.

While the MGM Arena shows I have seen in Las Vegas have been great because of normal people, even if the top ticket were $400. Still many people can afford that.

MSG another exception. High prices average $250 most seats but still great shows.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2005 21:56

Yes, this is true Bjornulf. The audience inside the Joint was the furthest thing you can imagine from what a true Stones audience should be. While there were a handful of die-hards, the majority were very rich people who could care less about the music. They wanted to be seen by their fellow snobs. It was unreal, and the weirdest Stones experience I've ever lived through. But the Stones seemed to be catering to these rich v.i.p.'s, putting on a simple show without any risks or imagination. I felt short-changed....by about $900 dollars.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: April 26, 2005 08:51

I think we a rather in a limit of ticket prices. The Stones know that very well. I assume that the travel packages may take advantage of the first row which will be a much bigger business than the last time during Licks Tour.
The fan-club thing was actually very stressful and I discussed with very reliable recourses that the European Theatre shows openend up first in the US which is wonderful when you have only 500 tickets to go for the so called "real" fans. I'd rather do less shows this time and go for the blast with a package again. Because even if some poeple said that those participants are not really Stones fans I have to disagree as we had a very, very good time in Stockholm. I do agree that the celebrities can stay on the back door.....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 26, 2005 18:04

Never were there more celebrities that at the Wiltern gig - but they were up in the balcony - it was nothing but us hardcores down front by the stage.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 28, 2005 11:05

Just for the record, these are Springsteen's prices for the upcoming italian leg of his summer tour (arena - no GA)

€ 85,00 + 12,50 prev - € 75,00 + 11,00 prev - € 50,00 + 7,50 prev

C

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 28, 2005 11:39

One guy, a guitar and a piano. Smaller venues of 5,000 or so crowd capacity. I guess he does not need to pay a 300+ person crew and several stages to handle that? I love Bruce, but I don't think his solo tour now can be compared to a Stones tour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 28, 2005 11:47

Even when Bruce tours with the E Street Band and plays in stadiums, it's a very simple production. Just a basic festival stage, PA and some lights.

Posted by: zonked77 ()
Date: January 16, 2006 02:51

Just curious,does anyone know what happens to website ticket brokerage tickets when they aren't sold? Does the internet ticket brokerages turn those tickets back in to the venue to sell on the day of the show?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home