Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tours
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:10

Here is my ongoing problem with a Stones tour. The Stones will charge terribly high prices that really make things difficult for us working folk after a tour. With a fraction of the money I can see Dylan, Fogerty, Waits, AC/DC, Patti Smith, Sex Pistols, Buddy Guy, Etta James, David Byrne, X, Mark Knopfler, Toots & the Maytals, The Blasters, Neville Brothers, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. While these may not be the same as a Stones gig, many cost 1/10th the price. So the thought comes, would I enjoy 10 of these gigs as much as 1 Stones gig? Likely...if not more. I would love to see the Stones many times on the next tour...but I get a bit down about paying SOOO much to people SOOO rich. I think the last tour was my last big go-round. While I am sure I will catch some shows this next time, I do not see me catching 15-20. I sure love the Stones...but at some point, I have to worry about my finances more than my love a 2 hour concert. Maybe I am thinking this way b/c I am nearing 30...but no matter...thousands & thousands & thousands on concerts just doesn't seem right...esp. when so many others can be seen for so little.

Re: Tours
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:18

good luck with all of that....

Date: April 21, 2005 20:34

Brilliant insight...never made it to college I see...

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:40

It's not the money for entrance... well that's a lot but not all.

The trouble is the 'rest' imo. I don't mean the beer and chips, you buy that whereever you are, but the transport and lodging.

Some cities you know someone, who is capable and willing to take you and your party in house, otherwise you have to get a hotel since staying up all night never tends to be as fun as it should be. That in mind it's reservation time before the hotels notice the Stones will be in town, cause otherwise they rip you of saying it's exhibition-time at the local exhibition center(s) (it's usually in their conditions that they can raise prices then).

Transport is a thing too. I like trains as cars are a pain at that time. But not every country has small-groups discounts (Germany does, Holland is expensive, Belgium is cheap if you're willing to go more than once, and cross-border travelling is always expensive.) Even if entrance is only €20 the rest might trick you.

I was never in the position to go to more than two or three concerts. I accepted that. It's too much bother anyway dealing with hotels and transport, trading off possibilities and prices.

That way I never got in the 'habit' of wanting to be everywhere. Still I'm a little worried. You never know wheter you'll still be having a job when tour comes... Still I'd rather not eat for a month than settling for Bob Dylan.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:43

Brilliant marketing on their part and the illusion that a Stones tour is a rare event when in reality they don't really tour any less than any other band these days. The Stones are still my favorite band but I have seen them so many times that they are a much lower priority than some of the other anticipated tours for this fall. I hope they only play stadium dates in this area though so I can score a cheaper ticket.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:45

I paid an arm and a leg last tour to see multiple shows around the globe, and it was well worth it. This upcoming tour I'll probably only sacrifce my little pinky finger and/or baby toe, and stick around my small corner of the world for a show or two.

It would be financially and physically impossible to duplicate what I did during 40Licks, and attempting to relive the excitement and adventure would be very hard. As a matter of fact, I barely made it out alive after that. I'm still paying off credit cards and recovering from jet-lag, hotels, motels, planes, trains, and automobiles. The trip of a lifetime!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:48

sdstonesguy,

I feel much the same way. Ticket prices, like most everything in a free-market system, are set by what the next buyer is willing to pay. When that amount gets too low for the seller to offer the product, no sale. When the offered price is too high, no sale. Good old supply-demand. I think the Stones have offered a lot of supply (four tours in nine years), and my demand no longer matches their asking price. But if others want to pay it, so be it. Let the market rule.

BTW, are the Blasters back together? GREAT rnr band!

Karl

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:56

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Let the market rule.
>

That's exactly what will happen. You're an unsatisfied potential customer! winking smiley But the market will exactly set their prices -- high that is.

In fact, everyone (including you?) will be convinced to buy the product by 2006 when the obligatory waiting time (since 2003) will be over and everyone's feeling he's had enough for some time will be gone. That's what, as I've said here before, the Stones tour cycle is all about (for US it will be 2005, as last time was 2002 for most visitors there.)

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 21, 2005 21:04

Limbostone Wrote:
That's what, as I've said here
> before, the Stones tour cycle is all about (

They don't miss a trick, do they? :-)

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Date: April 21, 2005 21:07

sdstonesguy Wrote:
> Brilliant insight...never made it to college I
> see...

Several degrees - that's why I haven't your concerns.

Date: April 21, 2005 21:41

T&A...I will not reply as you seem to be the type of person most people hate...there are plenty here in Southern California.

For the rest...I totally agree regarding Supply/Demand (imagine that...as a CPA...lol). In any case, 40 Licks was just awesome & it is so much fun traveling around seeing the gigs. However, being 29 I am starting to think that buying a home might be more important than seeing the Stones. While I would LOVE to catch 20 gigs or so on this tour...it is looking unlikely. I think I spent around $6,000 or so on the Licks tour. That was a LOT of money for a 26 yo still paying off his student loans. On No Security a very similar amount was spent...a TON for a 23 yo. The difference at those ages was that I was not as concerned about the future. Now at 29, I do not think it is wise to spend $6-8000 on concerts, esp. when housing prices are what they are here in San Diego. I can see why many people want to go...I do too...but the priority is a bit less now that I have seen them so many times and so recently. There are so many great shows out there for so much less money...I guess the accountant in me is coming out.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 21, 2005 21:44

Speaking ot ticket prices, I noticed the cost of McCartney tickets for his November 3 concert here in Seattle are from $50 - $250.00. Any idea on how much the Stones will charge? I believe they're playing at the same venue (Key Arena).

Date: April 21, 2005 23:25

sdstonesguy Wrote:
> T&A...I will not reply as you seem to be the
> type of person most people hate...there are plenty
> here in Southern California.
>
>

Lighten up San Diego! All of us here in NorCal hate all of you in SoCal, anyway. Apparently, at least, we don't take ourselves quite so seriously....

My facetious initial remark was a joke, dude....

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 21, 2005 23:28

250 BUCKS FOR PAUL ?
THE STONES ARE ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN HIM...
GEE I THINK I'LL MAKE MUCH LESS STONES SHOWS THAN BEFORE...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 21, 2005 23:40

DaveG Wrote:
> Speaking ot ticket prices, I noticed the cost of
> McCartney tickets for his November 3 concert here
> in Seattle are from $50 - $250.00. Any idea on how
> much the Stones will charge? I believe they're
> playing at the same venue (Key Arena).

They will charge as much as they possibly can, probably in the $100-500 range. If they dont sell enough tickets at those prices, they can always cancel the show and book one somewhere else.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: April 22, 2005 00:18

Sex Pistols? Where? When?

Date: April 22, 2005 00:29

Well...Sex Pistols were 2 years ago I think. Blasters were around then too...both were HOT gigs...esp. the Blasters!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 22, 2005 00:54

Sdstonesguy, a little advice from a famous song, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose." I am almost 20 years your senior and worked hard for years for that "house,' complete withe the picket fence. Had it, its gone now. Did the life with a proper woman, got hosed, moved on. Collected knick knacks and bric-a-brac of all value and quality from around the world, none of it lasted as long as the memories.

I am not advising you to be irresponsible. I am not an old hippie by any means, and most often feel I am a conservative capitalist. BUt when you start sacrificing experiences for material goods, then is when I can say the lesson that I have learned is that nothing lasts as long as memory. If you choose to invest in concrete rather than emotional goods, remember that concrete can also weigh you down, anchor you in place. I lived in a two story Waikiki Penthouse, went to all the right parties , knew all the right peole, and now five years later could put all my ownings into a 12 by 12 storage locker. I am much happier.

I am not urging you at all to follow my footsteps, but see the Stones, man,while they are here. After all this may really be the last time, and that house will be the same at 31 that it is at 29, and that leaves you probably 40 years to regret not following your heart rather than your head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-22 04:30 by kahoosier.

Date: April 22, 2005 01:01

kahoosier is a wise man - poverty is a virtue if it happens for the right reasons. i have seen the Stones about 40 times - I've spent as little as $10 and as much as $350 (face value) - and I have not one regret. the blasters and sex pistols and all the rest are fine and dandy - but there is but ONE GREATEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND. I've even got my teenage kids asking me if they can go this time (gives me a lump in the throat).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home