Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT- talking inexpensive fine wine
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 3, 2014 22:15

Quique-stone
odean73
Thanks, will check the Uraguay wine out.

Good, hope you like it!!!
Here are some links about wines of Uruguay:
(in English):
[www.welcomeuruguay.com]
[www.welcomeuruguay.com]
[www.bodegasdeluruguay.com.uy]
(in Spanish, but you can use a online translator):
[www.iprofesional.com]-
[www.enoarquia.com]
[www.stagnari.com]
[www.viajeauruguay.com]

Thanks for the links, will check them out after I sorted out my up and coming paris trip.hot smiley

Date: April 5, 2014 00:31

odean73
This one could be worth trying for Uk customers only thou.

Sainsburys taste the diference Priorat currently down to £8.49 is usually around the £11 mark.

I admit i have not tried this one yet, even thou i have a bottle waiting to be opened. But i believe this is from the same area as the Carles wine i have mentioned before which is only obtainable from Lidl in S
pain only as far as i know.

A couple of the wine critics that i follow have reccomended this wine, but i have been waiting for the price to drop.

Perhaps we need a drink or two with all the rumours for the up and coming european tour.smileys with beer

Just opened a bottle of the Priorat up and is going down very nice.

Sainsbury's taste the difference white Rioja is on offer at two bottles for £12 and one of my favourites.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 5, 2014 01:56

Louis Martini's Sonoma Cabernet can be found for as little as $12.99 a bottle is better than many $40 cabs I have drunk.

Byron Pinot Noir $17.99 very nice varietal flavor

Columbia Crest Estate Chardonnay can be had for as little as $9.99 a bottle and has nice fruit with a hint of oak.

Any wine from the Bogle Vineyard California label are bargains and sell for between $9-12 U.S. I love their Pinot Noir

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 5, 2014 02:59

I appreciate fine wines,believe me...but recently I felt like having a California Chardonnay and was pleased to find out from my local wine store that
Turning Leaf's Chardonnay is still as good as when the NY Time's wine critic wrote about years back.

In Los Angeles, Ralph's market sometimes has the Turning Leaf for 5 bucks and the occasional special of "buy 6 bottles...$4 each."

I shop at Trader Joe's for salads, yogurt etc...occasionally I find a good bottle of French wine there but often most of their cheaper French whites are not especially good. If YOU have any French favorites, white, red or rose, you've liked at TJ, please post 'em here. Thanks!

Date: April 12, 2014 01:21

Yes the turning leaf is to be ok.

For the UK buyers, please try the Aldi lime coast chardonnay around £5.50 I am not really a chardonnay drinker but this is quite decent and packs a punch.

I am now drinking Sainsbury's elegant frog viognier which is on offer at bottles for £12 and tastes how only French wines can. It is supposed to be very good with curry's, I will let you know tomorrow.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 12, 2014 01:33

stonesrule
I appreciate fine wines,believe me...but recently I felt like having a California Chardonnay and was pleased to find out from my local wine store that
Turning Leaf's Chardonnay is still as good as when the NY Time's wine critic wrote about years back.

In Los Angeles, Ralph's market sometimes has the Turning Leaf for 5 bucks and the occasional special of "buy 6 bottles...$4 each."

I shop at Trader Joe's for salads, yogurt etc...occasionally I find a good bottle of French wine there but often most of their cheaper French whites are not especially good. If YOU have any French favorites, white, red or rose, you've liked at TJ, please post 'em here. Thanks!

Love me a good Rhone or Bordeaux. I have a $6 bottle of Rhone sitting at home. When I open it, I will let you know what I think. I am spoiled because at family gatherings, we usually indulge in real expensive and fine French wines (the next one will be this Monday night for Passover).

Date: April 12, 2014 01:41

BluzDude
stonesrule

Love me a good Rhone or Bordeaux. I have a $6 bottle of Rhone sitting at home. When I open it, I will let you know what I think. I am spoiled because at family gatherings, we usually indulge in real expensive and fine French wines (the next one will be this Monday night for Passover).

I do think the French do the best wines.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 21, 2014 14:10

Summer’s Winners: 20 Wines for $20

Drinking wine in the summer is different. Not because people tend to eat lighter, or because it’s hot. It’s the vibe.

From the moment children are imprinted with those two glorious words — “School’s out!” — summer has meant vacation, recreation and relaxation. It means dressing down and slowing down. We have yet to adopt the civilized French habit of taking August off. Nonetheless, the level of anxiety dips and formality trickles away like drops of perspiration at the beach.

We still want to sip greatness, to be tantalized and inspired by wines that speak with purity, grace or mystery. But more often we want to guzzle and slurp, to enjoy wine and plenty of it for its sheer deliciousness and refreshment. Critical drinking still has its moments, but more often comes the yearning to kick back, unwind and enjoy.

In keeping with that spirit, here are 20 fresh, lively, easy-to-drink wines for about $20 each. Some were new to me, while others are old, reliable friends in new vintages. They are divided roughly equally between reds and whites, with one pink wine thrown in. I’m not one to stop drinking reds in the summer, nor do I taper off on whites in the winter, but I do tend to drink lighter in the heat. Heavier, more alcoholic wines may have their redeeming qualities, but quenching summer thirsts is not one of them.

Almost all of these wines are agile and light on their feet, even the reds, most of which can take a light chilling. You will find quite a few bottles here with bubbles, which I find particularly refreshing.

It remains true that $20 is the sweet spot in wine, where quality, interest and value most often intersect. You can still find many sound wines for $5 to $10, and more interesting wines for $10 to $15. But if you are willing to spend $15 to $25 a bottle, the level of interest and distinctiveness rises exponentially. This group, listed in no particular order, offers not just aha moments, but ahhh moments as well.

Domaine Chahut et Prodiges Vin de France La Mule 2011

Émile Hérédia/Domaine de Montrieux Vin de France Point G 2011

Thierry et Pascale Matrot Bourgogne Blanc 2012

Domaine Rimbert Saint-Chinian Le Mas au Schiste 2009

Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina 2013

Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Brut NV

Broc Cellars Sonoma County White Zinfandel 2013

La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Alberdi Reserva 2007

Bohigas Cava Reserva Brut Nature NV

Montenidoli Vernaccia di San Gimignano 2011

Wilfred Rousse Chinon Les Puys 2009

Vittorio Graziano Lambrusco Emilia I.G.T. Fontana dei Boschi 2010

Montesecondo Toscano Rosso 2012

C. von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Mosel Riesling Feinherb 2012

Dirler-Cadé Alsace Sylvaner Vieilles Vignes 2011

Montinore Estate Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 2012

Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo 2012

Cà de Noci Emilia Bianco I.G.T. Querciole 2012

Julien Guillot Chénas Ultimatum Climat 2012

Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara County Chardonnay 2012

Link has full descriptions and locations for wines:

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 21, 2014 14:28

latebloomer

...Now I don't wanna be nor sound like a cheap bugger, but is 20 $ considered "inexpensive" for a bottle of wine (in the USA)?

If I'd spend 15 euro (the equivalent of 20 $) per botte in wine shops in Belgium, I'd definitely be in the B++ (if not A- ) category, pricewise...

Date: May 21, 2014 14:36

RoughJusticeOnYa
latebloomer

...Now I don't wanna be nor sound like a cheap bugger, but is 20 $ considered "inexpensive" for a bottle of wine (in the USA)?

If I'd spend 15 euro (the equivalent of 20 $) per botte in wine shops in Belgium, I'd definitely be in the B++ (if not A- ) category, pricewise...

In the New York Times world, $20 per bottle is cheap. But, not so much in other parts of the country. Depends on where you live, RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 21, 2014 14:42

;-)
We Have Chosen The Wines For The Rolling Stones Tour
May 13, 2014

We have just advised and chosen the wines for the European leg of the #RollingStones tour - for their private jet that will be whisking them from city to city.

We like to think we have chosen well!

Domaine Henri Delagrange Pinot Noir click here
Peiriere Viognier click here
Domaine Helene Perrot Chablis click here
Chateau Cissac Cru Bourgeois click here

Cheers guys - hope you enjoy!

[www.generalwine.info]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 21, 2014 16:07

Lien
;-)
We Have Chosen The Wines For The Rolling Stones Tour
May 13, 2014

We have just advised and chosen the wines for the European leg of the #RollingStones tour - for their private jet that will be whisking them from city to city.

We like to think we have chosen well!

Domaine Henri Delagrange Pinot Noir click here
Peiriere Viognier click here
Domaine Helene Perrot Chablis click here
Chateau Cissac Cru Bourgeois click here

Cheers guys - hope you enjoy!

[www.generalwine.info]

hmmm..all French..oughta get some wider representation in there.

Date: May 21, 2014 16:15

Always said you wont go too far wrong with French wine.

But it is surprising, you would think more variety thou and thought there would be a trade up on those prices.

Date: May 22, 2014 14:04

Now, THIS, is that I want!

12 Rolling Stones Album Cover Wine Charms for the Music/Wine Lover GREAT jewelry for your wine glasses

$23.00 USD
Handmade item
Materials: plastic, colorful images, silver rings
Ships worldwide from United States

[www.etsy.com]

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 22, 2014 14:29

Ego is my fav

Date: February 26, 2015 22:21

OK

another good one, under $12

Moillard Cotes du Rhone Les Violettes...

hopefully it can be easily found, it is very easy to drink..and I really like the old-fashioned bottle

Date: February 26, 2015 22:57

In the Uk, please try Asda'a old vine grenache for a fiver.

Very nice and i usually prefer white wine.>grinning smiley<

Date: May 19, 2015 23:44

OK -

for a nice cool white, well-made and nicely priced

try a Macon-Villages..

especially if you like Chardonnay on the crisp, low-oaked side..

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 19, 2015 23:54

For top quality Italian wines do try some barolo's and dolcetto's by Luciano Sandrone.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 19, 2015 23:58

Date: May 20, 2015 00:00

Dreamer
For top quality Italian wines do try some barolo's and dolcetto's by Luciano Sandrone.

i'm sure the dolcetto is fantastic and inexpensive..?

also pretty sure his Barolos are not inexpensive..

love Italian wine..

Date: May 20, 2015 02:17

Ahh, the return of talking wine...any love for pinot grigio? What's a good one to try?

Date: May 20, 2015 15:55

latebloomer
Ahh, the return of talking wine...any love for pinot grigio? What's a good one to try?

latebloomer-

this one is delicious!

should be easily available, but probably in wine shops, not grocery stores..

also try - a pinot gris from Willamette Valley, OR.

cheers!
ps-

I've heard many times that Virginia has got great wines..especially the viognier ( that's the grape ) wines.
have you had a chance to try any ? you're in the DC area right?

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: May 20, 2015 16:03

Charles & Charles. A red blend from Washington State, USA. Around $9 and I've no complaints.

Good thread!

Date: May 20, 2015 16:25

Lil' Brian
Charles & Charles. A red blend from Washington State, USA. Around $9 and I've no complaints.

Good thread!

thanks for the recommendation lil Brian,

Washington State wines are really good!

ive had their Boom Boom Syrah liked it

also their rose was very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-20 16:27 by duke richardson.

Date: May 20, 2015 16:52

duke richardson
latebloomer

latebloomer-

this one is delicious!

should be easily available, but probably in wine shops, not grocery stores..

also try - a pinot gris from Willamette Valley, OR.

cheers!
ps-

I've heard many times that Virginia has got great wines..especially the viognier ( that's the grape ) wines.
have you had a chance to try any ? you're in the DC area right?

Thanks for that, Duke. Yes, the Virginia wineries are fairly close by and the wine tours are a popular weekend outing. I keep thinking I need to take one in, but haven't managed to make it happen yet.

Cheers to you too!

Date: May 20, 2015 18:28

Anything that will get me drunk smileys with beer

Date: May 21, 2015 00:06

Aldi's Spanish Albarino is now back in stock and only £5.99 cracking white wine for that price.

Get it while you can, I have around 20 bottles to get through. smileys with beer

Date: June 2, 2015 10:12

Great news for UK buyers.

In my previous thread i mentioned a red wine called Carles inwhich i could only obtain from Lidl in Spain.

This wine is now being sold by Lidl in the UK and is priced at £5.99 its a must try wine and is supposedly being sold in london restaurants for around £80 a bottle.

If you do buy, please decant for an hour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 10:13 by odean73.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: June 2, 2015 17:41

duke richardson
Lil' Brian

Good thread!

thanks for the recommendation lil Brian,

Washington State wines are really good!

ive had their Boom Boom Syrah liked it

also their rose was very good.

I will keep an eye out for those. Thank you!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home