Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones in the 1990s
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: August 26, 2013 21:26

The entire decade boiled down to 5 singles...

article

Re: Stones in the 1990s
Date: August 26, 2013 23:31

Somehow "Like a Rolling Stone" from Stripped was omitted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 23:32 by Turner.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 26, 2013 23:36

The Stones were a fantastic band in the nineties. They played great concerts in this decade. They did two decent albums in this decade and a wonderful livealbum. This era is underrated. lhey were no nostagia act back then, they became it in 2002.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: August 26, 2013 23:41

yeah, great decade, luckily we had the stones around when we all thought it was over....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 26, 2013 23:47

Retrospectively, they were a nostalgia act even in the 90s. Of course, then we didn't think that. We were hoping for the best and didn't know what was ahead...

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 27, 2013 00:17

1st time I saw them...

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:04

Best tour IMHO was BtB

Great stage and the last tour when Keef was on every night.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:36

The Voodoo Lounge tour was great:
they did a couple of songs they never did before like Monkey Man, like a Rolling Stone, or songs they didn't play for years like Heartbreaker.

They also did in Europe in '95 four clubgigs, which were realy great.

The BtB tour was automatic pilot work all the way.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:56

It's 4 songs. Almost Hear You Sigh is from '89. No Security was their on stage peak as a quartet. Everything since is a slowing down oldies show. There was no peak recording.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:58

GJV
they did a couple of songs they never did before like Monkey Man, like a Rolling Stone, or songs they didn't play for years like Heartbreaker.

Disagree entirely. In the stadiums, Voodoo Lounge was a slight update from Steel Wheels--a big retrospective show, geared toward the late-60s and 70's, as opposed to the earlier 60s-oriented show. The new material didn't work at all live. One high point: "Not Fade Away." Stands with the best of the show openers.

Bridges featured a good-to-great new album that they were eager to play. Don't even know where to start with all the great setlist choices and surprises. It certainly never felt to me that "Little Queenie" was autopilot. Nor "Crazy Mama," nor "No Expectations." Certainly not the "Love In Vain" I saw at Giants Stadium.

My favorite moment? Going with an old girlfriend who didn't know the Stones that well and was bowled over by "Out of Control."

Date: August 27, 2013 03:38

Rev. Robert W.
GJV

Disagree entirely. In the stadiums, Voodoo Lounge was a slight update from Steel Wheels--a big retrospective show, geared toward the late-60s and 70's, as opposed to the earlier 60s-oriented show. The new material didn't work at all live. One high point: "Not Fade Away." Stands with the best of the show openers.

Bridges featured a good-to-great new album that they were eager to play. Don't even know where to start with all the great setlist choices and surprises. It certainly never felt to me that "Little Queenie" was autopilot. Nor "Crazy Mama," nor "No Expectations." Certainly not the "Love In Vain" I saw at Giants Stadium.

My favorite moment? Going with an old girlfriend who didn't know the Stones that well and was bowled over by "Out of Control."
Rev is right from my perspective. BTB was the actually the largest venue I have ever seen the boys (ohio Stadium horseshoe) and it was early in the tour yet that show had tons of energy and they owned that stadium

Date: August 27, 2013 04:24

only clunkers I recall were You Got Me Rocking and Brown Sugar

27th Sep 1997, Columbus 60,621
1 Satisfaction
2 It's Only Rock'n Roll
3 Bitch
4 Let's Spend The Night Together
5 Rock And A Hard Place
6 Sister Morphine
7 Anybody Seen My Baby
8 19th Nervous Breakdown
9 Out Of Control
10 Gimme Shelter
11 Miss You
12 All About You (Keith)
13 I Wanna Hold You (Keith)
14 Little Queenie (center stage)
15 Let It Bleed (center stage)
16 The Last Time (center stage)
17 Sympathy For The Devil
18 Tumbling Dice
19 You Got Me Rocking
20 Honky Tonk Women
21 Start Me Up
22 Jumping Jack Flash
23 You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
24 Brown Sugar (encore)

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 27, 2013 05:18

Wow. Had forgotten "All About You."

Saw 'em opening night in Chicago (and a bunch thereafter). Standing in Soldier Field with Keith doing "All About You:" The balls to pull that out in front of a stadium crowd...

"Might As Well Get Juiced" and "How Can I Stop" at the Garden were pretty impressive as well.

Was listening to a boot of "Love In Vain" from Giants #2 the other day and was astonished at how great it sounded for a one-off (supposedly done because Ahmet Ertegun was backstage). That's the song that turned me from a sane(ish) fan into a raving lunatic for the Stones, so I pretty much went to heaven.

I was there that night with some friends and with my late mother, who wanted to see what all the fuss was about. She said, "I get it now--they sing about all the things that nobody can say."

Picks for the day: "Hey Negrita," "Parachute Woman," "No Use In Crying," "Moon Is Up," "It Won't Be Long," "Empty Heart"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 27, 2013 06:31

Turner
Somehow "Like a Rolling Stone" from Stripped was omitted

And Anybody Seen My Baby, You Got Me Rocking, Out Of Control and Sex Drive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home