Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: One Hit (To The Body)
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 27, 2013 21:14

LOVE this song. One of my favorite Stones tunes. Wish it would have made it into the live setlist more than once or twice.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 28, 2013 01:12

First of all: UNDERCOVER is a major album. DIRTY WORK to me is far from it. I sometimes on some songs find it well played, but there are hardly any great songs on it. However, some are OK (Even TATTOO YOU, for me something of a disaster as Stones album, has the wonderful and great song "Waiting on a Friend".)

Next: The songs which to me are OK songs on DIRTY WORK, are others than most other posters think: "Winnimg Ugly" (Motown-like song(?)), the much criticized "Back to Zero" (!!!), the title track, and "Sleep Tonight" (sister track to the stronger "All About You" ), whereas "Harlem Shuffle" is well played, but maybe a little forced (however, better played than the studio cover version of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" ). "Had It With You" is also quite OK. "One Hit (to the Body)" are among the songs that I am more reserved to, or are more anonymous songs to my ears. I have not got anything else to say about it, otherwise than that I am often relieved when that song and "Fight" are finished, because I never overspring any Stones song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-28 01:19 by Witness.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 28, 2013 05:30

hypnohighball
I love the 12" mix of OHTTB a lot. cool smiley

Do you mean this?

Drew

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: August 29, 2013 20:56

Yep.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:08

Send It To me
Great track, it should have been included on 40 Licks and on Grrr

As dull of a song as One Hit is, and it is one of the more interesting songs on DIRTY WORK, it has always surprised me that it's not been included on any of the three hits comps seeing that they did a video for it as well as the remix and it was a single.

What it truly reveals is, with exception to Harlem Shuffle, even the Stones regocnise that DIRTY WORK is absoltuely pointless in regard to their discography. It only serves as a reference point to the true demise of the craftmanship of the art of music and songwriting for The Rolling Stones. Sure, they did one more album after that as a band that remains miles above DIRTY WORK in quality but since then it's not really been The Rolling Stones now has it. With the loss of Wyman it really isn't the same thing.

However, even as The Rolling Stones still at least they did a pretty good job with BRIDGES TO BABYLON. BTB is a pretty damn good LP overall, especially Keith's 3 tracks. I've always wondered why they haven't decided to release a The Best Of Keith's Rolling Stones kind of album with all of his songs that he sings, perhaps including some different mixes like Before They Make Me Run as well as, ohhhhhh I dunno, a few that are still unreleased.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 08:45

After listening recently to Keith's new TROUBLE a ton the (great) abrupt electric-rhythm-guitar-to-acoustic-rhythm-guitar ending made me put this song on with its rock-to-acoustic rhythm guitar transitions. The only other Stones song I recall that goes from electric rhythm guitar to purely acoustic guitar abruptly (and briefly) is the rare DJ's version (not the 12" ) of UNDERCOVER OF THE NIGHT around the 2:30 mark.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 25, 2015 10:27

Horrible song. Overproduced 80's junk with the ok intro the only redeeming feature - barely.

Date: September 25, 2015 11:02

Lovely guitars, though. I use to like this song a lot, but eventually I got tired of the slickness of the background vocals.

It's a nice testament of the time, imo. The Stones's answer to the poodle metal and pop music going on. They still sound like the Stones (as always), though smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 25, 2015 12:14

This absolutely mind blowing track is without the slightest doubt one of the best tracks the Stones ever recorded in their entire career, a genuine masterpiece, a shining gem, absolute perfection in every way. The great guitars, the great lyrics, the angry and powerful voice of the singer - it blows me away everytime I get to hear it. A marvelous and outstanding piece of music, the Rolling Stones at their very very best. Truly fantasic.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 25, 2015 12:15

SuperC
Horrible song. Overproduced 80's junk with the ok intro the only redeeming feature - barely.

Yup - Opinion nailed it.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 25, 2015 13:55

This is the song they needed for Voodoo Lounge. If it had been written in 93/94 and produced without the influences from the mid 80's...then....it could have been a true Classic.

Date: September 25, 2015 14:08

Tops
This is the song they needed for Voodoo Lounge. If it had been written in 93/94 and produced without the influences from the mid 80's...then....it could have been a true Classic.

But, but, they already had Love Is Strong smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 16:51

Tops
This song BELONGS in the '80s. I think it sounds great as is. I'm not automatically opposed to '80s production style...remove the reverb and the big snare sound, and it's not the same song.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 25, 2015 17:56

This is another of those I should hate it, but I quite like it tracks.

The 80's production makes me puke, but the song, performances make up for it. It's good, catchy stuff.

A guilty pleasure? smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 18:10

DandelionPowderman
Lovely guitars, though. I use to like this song a lot, but eventually I got tired of the slickness of the background vocals.

It's a nice testament of the time, imo. The Stones's answer to the poodle metal and pop music going on. They still sound like the Stones (as always), though smiling smiley

I'm so tempted to say "especially the guitar solo"....

Date: September 25, 2015 18:45

big4
Doxa
Come On
but the guitar-sound is indeed good and raw Dandy! smiling smiley

"One Hit", and DIRTY WORK altogether, is a good argument that a good guitar sound, or even a good guitar playing, is not enough to make great music. It needs more. The Stones, if any guitar-driven rock and roll band, has understood this better than no one else.

- Doxa

On Dirty Work they lost the "roll". It started on UC but there was enough groove in the songs to cover for it. But by DW even the grooves, for the most part, were MIA. The "roll" returned on SW, though the glossy production muted its effect somewhat. DW also started a trend in Stones albums where it could be argued that the outtakes or earlier mixes were superior to the finished product. "One Hit's" intro hints at that crashing acoustic/electric dyanmic used so effectively in the past-JJF and BS immediately come to mind. But where that dynamic acted as a springboard in those two songs, on "One Hit" its all there is, the song, despite the guitar fireworks, doesn't really go anywhere after its effectively jarring intro.

There's plenty of roll on U - She Was Hot, Tie Me Up, All The Way Down. The only roll on DW is Had It With You.

Date: September 25, 2015 18:59

I like OH ( TTB ) but I don't listen to it, it's never on any playlists and I KNOW it's garbage and has no business being included on any hits comp that's not overbaked - it wasn't a hit and it's not a classic. Even the single edit version doesn't help it.

As it was pointed out, the beginning of it is promising. But it turns to shit and shines like stank.

As a fan, it's OK to like garbage of your favourite band, just as long as one admits it sucks. After all, a lot of fans think Respectable is a great song for some reason.

But there are just facts and they can't be denied: Let's Work is one of the worst things ever done by Mick Jagger - even worse than the next, Streets Of Love. DIRTY WORK is the worst Stones album ever, of all time. The fact that Keith wanted to tour it and seemed to like it seemed to me to be more of an issue of rubbing it in Mick's face. Because even though it reads that Keith loved DW he seems to have conveniently forgotten that (with exception to playing Too Rude on his first tour).

Date: September 25, 2015 19:14

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

I'm so tempted to say "especially the guitar solo"....

ALL the guitars on this one are great, imo. Especially Keith's main one. What a sound!

The Crushed Pearl version includes more of Page's playing, btw.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: September 25, 2015 19:36

GREAT TRACK

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 26, 2015 05:38

Chris Fountain
SuperC

Yup - Opinion nailed it.

I agree.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 26, 2015 05:40

Great intro. OK song. Crappy 80's production.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 26, 2015 16:03

Love it

Rod

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 26, 2015 16:29

I disagree with all these opinions. There may be an ear infection that could possibly be distorting this crazy song. I recommend medical help who differs.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 26, 2015 17:28

My favorite post 1981 song.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 26, 2015 18:51

Chris Fountain
I disagree with all these opinions. There may be an ear infection that could possibly be distorting this crazy song. I recommend medical help who differs.

And I recommend to listen to Flock Of Seagulls. more 80's crap.

Why wasn't "One Hit (to the body)" a giant hit?
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: June 21, 2023 18:06

My 1986 self still waiting for this song to dominate the charts. In my top 10 Stones songs of all time. Just thought it should have been a solid chart topper.

Re: Why wasn't "One Hit (to the body)" a giant hit?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 21, 2023 18:09

When a second or third single comes out after the release of the LP, it probably won't chart so well?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 21, 2023 18:16

During the same period Def Leppard's Hysteria was almost thought to be a flop until the third single of the album came out, Pour Some Sugar on Me. So not true, I just think the Stones were not very in during the hair medal period.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 21, 2023 18:16

It was still the era of Michael Jackson?

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: June 21, 2023 18:26

No matter what, great tune

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home